PDA

View Full Version : Tim Hudson about to be a Cardinal.

Justafan
12-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Dan Patrick and Dibble were just talking about it. No specifics as of yet.

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Well, damn. I really wanted him. I was hoping Kenny could work something out. But if the Sox aren't going to get Huddy, I'm glad the Cardinals are the team getting him. Can you imagine a rotation with Hudson, Buehrle, and Garcia? :drool:

Damn....

ilsox7
12-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Well, damn. I really wanted him. I was hoping Kenny could work something out. But if the Sox aren't going to get Huddy, I'm glad the Cardinals are the team getting him. Can you imagine a rotation with Hudson, Buehrle, and Garcia? :drool:

Damn....
Yea, but then could you imagine us shelling out $15MM a year for a long-term extension? Clement or Vasquez would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Yea, but then could you imagine us shelling out $15MM a year for a long-term extension? Clement or Vasquez would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.
I know, I know. But I can dream, can't I? That's about all Sox fans get to do when it comes to the top players in the game being signed or traded.

Justafan
12-09-2004, 03:36 PM

Damn....
Yeah. Again, this was just Patrick and Dibble saying apparently there is deal going down involving Hudson to the Cardinals. We'll see.

WinningUgly!
12-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Yeah. Again, this was just Patrick and Dibble saying apparently there is deal going down involving Hudson to the Cardinals. We'll see.
Wow. I heard something about Hudson going to Atlanta, in a deal involving Marcus Giles.

Soxzilla
12-09-2004, 03:42 PM
I also heard a deal going down about Hudson going to hell ... in a deal that would involve several souls and cerberus.

Speculation sucks.

Justafan
12-09-2004, 03:53 PM
From rotoworld:

According to TSN's Ken Rosenthal and ESPN's Dan Patrick, the Cardinals and A's could be close to agreeing to a Tim Hudson trade.
Some combination of Dan Haren, Jason Marquis, Kiko Calero, Rick Ankiel and Daric Barton would have to be involved in the deal. The A's wouldn't get both Haren and Marquis, but they'd have to get one of two and then one or two of the other three. Dec. 9 - 3:49 pm et
Source: FOXSports.com (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3233088)

ilsox7
12-09-2004, 03:53 PM
I know, I know. But I can dream, can't I? That's about all Sox fans get to do when it comes to the top players in the game being signed or traded.
My dreaming with the Sox has reduced itself to putting a solid team on the field which increases our chances to use our Newly Acquired Glass Bottle to catch some Lightning.

munchman33
12-09-2004, 04:46 PM
From rotoworld:

According to TSN's Ken Rosenthal and ESPN's Dan Patrick, the Cardinals and A's could be close to agreeing to a Tim Hudson trade.
Some combination of Dan Haren, Jason Marquis, Kiko Calero, Rick Ankiel and Daric Barton would have to be involved in the deal. The A's wouldn't get both Haren and Marquis, but they'd have to get one of two and then one or two of the other three. Dec. 9 - 3:49 pm et
The A's are certainly getting a lot of talent back for him.

Soxzilla
12-09-2004, 04:48 PM
The A's are certainly getting a lot of talent back for him.
I've seen three of those guys ... and none of the three are impressive.

At all.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 04:50 PM

At all.Agreed. The Cardinals would be robbing Beane in this trade if those are the rumored players involved.

munchman33
12-09-2004, 05:02 PM

At all.
Marquis' a pretty good starter, and Calero's a pretty good reliever. And Ankiel has so much potential.

mdep524
12-09-2004, 05:07 PM
From rotoworld:

Are you telling me the Sox couldn't step up and tell Billy Beane, Hey, we can make you a better offer than that. Carlos Lee. Paul Konerko. Jon Garland. Those are major league baseball players all capable of better production than what the Cards appear to be offering. Come on KW, make this interesting.

California Sox
12-09-2004, 05:08 PM
I think if they get Marquis and Ankiel for a guy who's going to be gone soon anyway, BB will have done his job. Remember, Harden is going to be their third starter so a rotation of Mulder, Zito, Harden, Marquis, and Ankiel with Blanton in the wings in case of injuries or double headers would be pretty solid.

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Cardinals officials have denied this, but that's not a big surprise. They're going to deny it until it gets done to avoid other teams trying to jump in and one-up them at the last minute.

Soxzilla
12-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Marquis' a pretty good starter, and Calero's a pretty good reliever. And Ankiel has so much potential.
Marquis wasn't that great in 2003, if I remember, while Ankiel had potential back in like ... 2001? The guy hits better than he pitches, seriously. Maybe if the Athletic were looking for another DH ... then yeah maybe, but they aren't.

And from what I've seen of haren ... what makes him better than Garland? Haren has looked Cotts-ish, if that.

I remember back towards the end of this past season, how the Cardinals were touting the reemergence of Ankiel, and now what? They are so quick to shove him off, hmmmmm, it makes you wonder. Doesn't it?

Soxzilla
12-09-2004, 05:16 PM
I think if they get Marquis and Ankiel for a guy who's going to be gone soon anyway, BB will have done his job. Remember, Harden is going to be their third starter so a rotation of Mulder, Zito, Harden, Marquis, and Ankiel with Blanton in the wings in case of injuries or double headers would be pretty solid.
And that rotation doesn't look all that great.

Mulder is an ace. I'd love to have him
Zito has fallen off, he's now a good 3 or 4 guy on a good rotation.
Harden, I'm a fan, he reminds me of Garland ... just with talent.
Marquis had one good year, got bombed in the playoffs.
Ankiel? ANKIEL!? *****.

wdelaney72
12-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Are you telling me the Sox couldn't step up and tell Billy Beane, Hey, we can make you a better offer than that. Carlos Lee. Paul Konerko. Jon Garland. Those are major league baseball players all capable of better production than what the Cards appear to be offering. Come on KW, make this interesting.
C. Lee stays. Remember, if you trade Garland, we're still stuck with the age old problem of "who is our 5th starter?"

southsider17
12-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Look at the salaries. That will probably show you why Beane would rather deal with the Cards.

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 05:42 PM
C. Lee stays. Remember, if you trade Garland, we're still stuck with the age old problem of "who is our 5th starter?"That's still a hell of a lot better than "who is our 3rd starter?"

California Sox
12-09-2004, 05:43 PM
And that rotation doesn't look all that great.

Mulder is an ace. I'd love to have him
Zito has fallen off, he's now a good 3 or 4 guy on a good rotation.
Harden, I'm a fan, he reminds me of Garland ... just with talent.
Marquis had one good year, got bombed in the playoffs.
Ankiel? ANKIEL!? *****.
I understand why you'd be skeptical about Ankiel, but have you noticed that guys with elbow problems tend to maintain their velocity and lose their control? That's what happened to Ankiel. My theory is that he's not a headcase (or if he is a headcase it doesn't affect his control) and now that he's recovered from Tommy John surgery, he'll be pretty good. Better than Grilli at any rate. I am also optimistic about Corwin Malone for the same reason.

mdep524
12-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Look at the salaries. That will probably show you why Beane would rather deal with the Cards.
If I'm KW, and I'm about to acquire Tim Hudson- a bona fide ace who will earn only $5 milion in 2005 (compared to the outrageous free agent prices for much lesser pitchers), I throw fistfuls of cash Beane's way to make the trade work. For example, I'll pay over half of Konerko's salary to get the trade done. Then the A's get a solid middle of the line up hitter and save money, and the Sox get their stud pitcher and save money relative to outrageous FA signings. Everyone's a winner!

Soxzilla
12-09-2004, 06:56 PM
If I'm KW, and I'm about to acquire Tim Hudson- a bona fide ace who will earn only $5 milion in 2005 (compared to the outrageous free agent prices for much lesser pitchers), I throw fistfuls of cash Beane's way to make the trade work. For example, I'll pay over half of Konerko's salary to get the trade done. Then the A's get a solid middle of the line up hitter and save money, and the Sox get their stud pitcher and save money relative to outrageous FA signings. Everyone's a winner!
:reinsy
"AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

OK ... OK ... I'm done...

....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

...AHA."

"Oh I haven't laughed like that since I was a little girl."

wdelaney72
12-09-2004, 08:06 PM
If this deal happens and Ankiel goes to Oakland, he can be their DH on the days he doesn't pitch.

Ankiel's a pretty damn good hitter.

Mohoney
12-09-2004, 09:53 PM
That's still a hell of a lot better than "who is our 3rd starter?"
Smartest thing I've heard all day.

havelj
12-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Does Ankiel have a high OBP?:cool: Moneyball!

southsider17
12-09-2004, 10:15 PM
:reinsy
"AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

OK ... OK ... I'm done...

....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

...AHA."

"Oh I haven't laughed like that since I was a little girl."

Yeah, what he said! :roflmao:

mdep524
12-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Yeah, what he said! :roflmao:
I know Uncle Jerry is not in the habit of giving money. But he'd actually be saving money this way, compared to dealing for the very expensive Javier Vazquez or shelling out big bucks for a FA. If the Sox are going to make any move, Konerko + cash to the A's s the cheapest and, coincidentally, the best as well.

DSpivack
12-09-2004, 11:38 PM
As the Cards are my 2nd fave team, and assuming this is true and with the players involved, I'm ecstatic. First time they've have a bonifide ace since Morris was one a few years ago.

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 11:53 PM
I think Hudson is almost a lock to be traded, but not necessarily to the Cards. They jumped the gun on announcing this and you can bet Billy Beane is going to be patient and field all of the offers that come his way.

Hangar18
12-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Agreed. The Cardinals would be robbing Beane in this trade if those are the rumored players involved.
Boy, those Cardinals love American League Players dont they?