PDA

View Full Version : This, I like to hear...

Kilroy
12-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Reports say that Dye turned down two offers that were better moneywise to sign with the Sox. Supposedly the Rangers offered significantly more money.

I hope that tidbit circulates...

Soxzilla
12-09-2004, 02:43 PM
He obviousely enjoys playing at the cell:tongue: .

Is dye friends with Beltran in any way?

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Yep, KW said that Dye was offered significantly more money from two teams (Rangers and Diamondbacks) even after Dye was taking a physical and had a verbal agreement with the White Sox. He had not yet signed with the Sox so he could have changed his mind and gone for the bigger deals.

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 02:47 PM
He also cited our team chemistry as one of the reasons he came here. :?:

I forget everything he said, but he said he likes the situation. We've been in contention for the division the past few years (unlike the Dbacks and Rangers who offered more money) and sees this team adding to make the club better.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 02:47 PM
He obviousely enjoys playing at the cell:tongue: .He did say that playing at The Cell and hitting so well here in the past was one of the factors to his signing with us.

HomeFish
12-09-2004, 02:49 PM
He better get a rousing ovation on opening day.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 02:50 PM
He better get a rousing ovation on opening day.JR will be the first one standing up...

:reinsy
"Thanks for taking our lowball offer, Jermaine!"

munchman33
12-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Wow. Year in and year out, most of our fans don't consider us a contender. This is nice to see.

Tekijawa
12-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Jermaine Dye at Comiskey

AB 105 R 14 H 30 HR 5 RBI 19 SB 0 AVG. .286 OBP .333 SLG. .495 OPS. .829

Here are the rest of his splits: He really doesn't look to well againts the Central
http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5610/splits?year=career&type=Batting

But I still like the pick up

Hangar18
12-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Wow. Year in and year out, most of our fans don't consider us a contender. This is nice to see.

Lets see if Jermaine says this in september of 05, heh heh.
I hope he works out for us ........ please please .......

WhiteSoxFan84
12-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Any possible link between Dye and BALCO? I really don't understand why he's choosing us over Texas or Arizona whom offered him a lot more money. The only reason I can think of is he hates the heat. But according to Dusty Baker, the "brothers" and the hispanics can handle the heat, so because of Professor Baker's Theory of Heat Endurance, I'm left without an answer.

Any idea where he's from? Birth place, high school, college? Any Chicago ties?

Soxzilla
12-09-2004, 03:03 PM
You're damn right he'll get a standing O ... at least from me.

While Maggs (If he even plays!), and RJ will get booed beyond belief.:cool:

Gosox1917
12-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Maybe he's a Sox fan, just like us. At any rate, I've liked Dye as a player and from what he's said, I like him as a person too. Hope he stays healthy and puts up some big numbers. Shouldn't be a problem at the Cell.

soxfan26
12-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Maybe he's a Sox fan, just like us. At any rate, I've liked Dye as a player and from what he's said, I like him as a person too. Hope he stays healthy and puts up some big numbers. Shouldn't be a problem at the Cell.
Ditto. Welcome aboard Jermaine! :gulp:

gosox41
12-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Reports say that Dye turned down two offers that were better moneywise to sign with the Sox. Supposedly the Rangers offered significantly more money.

But the Sox are cheap and no one wants to come here.

Bob

Tekijawa
12-09-2004, 03:15 PM
I read that he's really into a Program called RBI or something and he donates X ammount of dollars per hit to this program. It's for promoting Baseball for inner-city youth... Seems like a class act so far to me

Iwritecode
12-09-2004, 03:40 PM

Cheap and stupid.

Just keep saying it over and over and eventually you'll believe it.

kittle42
12-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Cheap and stupid.

Just keep saying it over and over and eventually you'll believe it.
Look at your own sig, code. When they win something, I'll stop believing it.

California Sox
12-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Dye is supposed to be a class act. I remember reading something about him and his father who's like a coach or something. Dye's from California, but please, don't hold that against him. :smile:

And Dye didn't just turn down more money to come here, he did was honored his word. KW said that the mystery team continued to increase their offer to Dye after he verbally agreed to join the Sox and his response was "I gave my word." He's all right in my book. I hope we all remember this story the first time he strikes out with men on base or goes through a prolonged slump.

Lip Man 1
12-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Bob:

When was the last time the Sox signed a premium free agent? Albert Belle? That was years ago.

That being said Dye joins an exclusive group populated by only one other guy Jose' Valentin.

Lip

petekat
12-09-2004, 09:52 PM
speaks volumes about Dye's character, he wanted to keep his word to Kenny, despite being offered more $$$ after reaching a verbal agreement to come to Chicago.

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1942614

CHICAGO -- Jermaine Dye (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5610) had already verbally agreed to a contract with the Chicago White Sox (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=cha) and was taking his physical when he got a phone call from another team, offering him an even better deal.

Jermaine Dye (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5610)
Right Field
Oakland Athleticshttp://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5610.jpgProfile (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5610)
2004 SEASON STATISTICSGMHRRBIRSBAVG1372380874.265

Instead of following the money, the former Oakland Athletics (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=oak) outfielder kept his word.

"I just wanted to be somewhere where I was going to be happy and just help the team win," Dye said Thursday after agreeing to a $10.15 million, two-year contract that includes a club option for 2007.

"I felt Chicago was going in a good direction," he added. "With the guys that are over there and the pitching staff, I felt like I had a better chance of coming in and helping them get to the playoffs."

White Sox general manager Kenny Williams began targeting Dye shortly after the season ended, sitting down over breakfast to try to sell the outfielder on Chicago.

"I just told him about who we are and what we're about," Williams said. "I gave him some insight into where I thought we were headed, for the present and the future. We tried to sell him on Chicago, tried to sell him on the White Sox and the program."

After a few more meetings, Dye told Williams he wanted to play for the White Sox.

But there was a problem -- other clubs continued pursuing Dye, and several offered him more money.

Dye will make $4 million next year and $5 million in 2006. Chicago has a $6 million option in 2007 with a $1.15 million buyout.

"He told those other clubs, 'No, I gave my word to Kenny Williams, I gave my word to the White Sox and I'm going to honor that,'" Williams said. "I think it's a breath of fresh air. ... We're looking for this kind of character and this kind of leadership."

lths06
12-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Wow, we could either have Dye who turns down more $ to keep his word, or we could have RJ who wouldn't even want to be here. I'll take Dye.
P.S. Uncle Jerry should take a lesson from this

Nick@Nite
12-09-2004, 09:59 PM
"I felt Chicago was going in a good direction," he added. "With the guys that are over there and the pitching staff, I felt like I had a better chance of coming in and helping them get to the playoffs."
How great would it be to see Jermaine Dye take Randy Johnson deep for a game winning tater (or game winning hit for that matter) next season... I'd pay to see that.

Deadguy
12-09-2004, 11:19 PM
Talk about integrity. Turning down possibly millions of dollars just to keep a verbal agreement.

I'm sure we've all experienced broken promises and backstabbing over issues of far less substance, so I definitely admire Dye for this.

petekat
12-09-2004, 11:28 PM
quite possibly, the Sox have turned a corner, and the word on the street is that Ozzie is a fun manager to play for. Was surprising when Buehrle reversed his previous animosity with mgmt and reupped. In any event, nice to see that the Sox appeal extends beyond other Venezuelans.

Dye was somewhat of a leader in the A's clubhouse. Maybe he can talk Hudson into demanding a trade to the Sox

Wow, we could either have Dye who turns down more $ to keep his word, or we could have RJ who wouldn't even want to be here. I'll take Dye.
P.S. Uncle Jerry should take a lesson from this