PDA

View Full Version : Who's next? Clement, Vazquez, Renteria?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-09-2004, 01:32 PM
December 8, 2004; White Sox sign RHP Dustin Hermanson.
December 9, 2004; White Sox sign RF Jermaine Dye.

Who do you THINK the White Sox will sign or trade for next? Keep in mind, it's who you THINK not who you WANT the Sox to bring in.

The choices are the names we've been throwing around all over these forums.

If you choose other, please name the player and no matter who you choose, please comment on your choice.

BRDSR
12-09-2004, 01:35 PM
My gut says that it will be neither. I think a trade for Vasquez or a signing of Renteria would both be expensive mistakes that I don't think KW will make(unless a deal is worked out in which a significant amount of Vasquez' contract is paid by the Yankees). I would LOVE for us to sign Clement but I'm not getting my hopes up. My guess is that another lower tier free agent starter will be signed and hopefully will have a year like Loaiza did in 2003.

chisoxmike
12-09-2004, 01:36 PM
I said Perez, KW has been after this guy for a while now.

Wealz
12-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Polanco to platoon with Harris and Crede would be ideal.

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 01:40 PM
You left out Tim Hudson. That's a viable option, and probably the one I would prefer.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-09-2004, 01:47 PM
You left out Tim Hudson. That's a viable option, and probably the one I would prefer.
I was thinking about that and would LOVE that but it got shot down when I mentioned it before. Didn't want to get harrassed again.

munchman33
12-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Miguel Cairo will be our next pickup.

HomeFish
12-09-2004, 01:50 PM
I don't see any of the guys in the polls coming to the Sox. Not the White Sox, at least, and I don't believe Boston has been seriously interested in any of them either.

tadscout
12-09-2004, 01:56 PM
I just heard one the radio that there is a Hudson trade in the works... but I didn't here with what team... I sure dang hope it is with us!:cool:

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 02:00 PM
I just heard one the radio that there is a Hudson trade in the works... but I didn't here with what team... I sure dang hope it is with us!:cool:
So far, Rotoworld's been reporting the O's as in serious talks on Hudson. Something around Erik bedard & BJ Ryan. They speculate that one of them would then be flipped to get the A's a significant upgrade at 2B.

soxfan26
12-09-2004, 02:06 PM
I said Perez, KW has been after this guy for a while now.
I voted for Perez also, but munch has a realistic option in Cairo and neither would suprise or disappoint me.

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Patrick on ESPN is reporting a RUMOR that Hudson's been/being dealt to St Louis, no word on who for.

tadscout
12-09-2004, 02:21 PM
OK... sounds like the Cardinals that are the top runners for Hudson and are close to the deal... Dang!:(:

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Patrick on ESPN is reporting a RUMOR that Hudson's been/being dealt to St Louis, no word on who for.Scratch one more Randy Johnson suitor. I wonder if he's got his calculator out figuring how many more years he's going to have to pitch for the Snakes to reach 300 wins?:cool:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Patrick on ESPN is reporting a RUMOR that Hudson's been/being dealt to St Louis, no word on who for.
I'd love it :D:

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Scratch one more Randy Johnson suitor. I wonder if he's got his calculator out figuring how many more years he's going to have to pitch for the Snakes to reach 300 wins?:cool:
The longer this goes on, the more certain I am that Javy Vazquez will be on the S Side. RJ reportedly has ow said he'll only go to NY, so it's just a matter of the DBacks realizing that Konerko+Yanks prospects is the best they can do.

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 02:27 PM
The longer this goes on, the more certain I am that Javy Vazquez will be on the S Side. RJ reportedly has ow said he'll only go to NY, so it's just a matter of the DBacks realizing that Konerko+Yanks prospects is the best they can do.I think you're right. Also, the longer this goes on, the better negotiating position the Sox are in. If they're the third team needed to make this go, they can get in for very little and come out like bandits. Sort of reminds you of the Colon deal, doesn't it?

Wealz
12-09-2004, 02:29 PM
The longer this goes on, the more certain I am that Javy Vazquez will be on the S Side. RJ reportedly has ow said he'll only go to NY, so it's just a matter of the DBacks realizing that Konerko+Yanks prospects is the best they can do.
Was Glaus signed to play first? I haven't seen anything about him playing third for the D'Backs.

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 02:30 PM
I think you're right. Also, the longer this goes on, the better negotiating position the Sox are in. If they're the third team needed to make this go, they can get in for very little and come out like bandits. Sort of reminds you of the Colon deal, doesn't it?
Yup. Only thing that scares me is the publicity of the discussions. That's generally bad for the Sox in one way or another.

I also am somewhat fearful that we might include a decent prospect, which would IMO be too much for Vazquez. Koney straight up for Javy+cash would be perfect.

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Yup. Only thing that scares me is the publicity of the discussions. That's generally bad for the Sox in one way or another.

I also am somewhat fearful that we might include a decent prospect, which would IMO be too much for Vazquez. Koney straight up for Javy+cash would be perfect.The earlier deals talked about the Yanks throwing in $10-15M. PK for Vazquez + $10M would be highway robbery, IMO. More likely they'd have to throw in a prospect. Just who it will be remains to be seen. But this deal makes too much sense for everybody NOT to happen.

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 02:40 PM
Was Glaus signed to play first? I haven't seen anything about him playing third for the D'Backs.
That's an interesting point. The issue will be that the Sox need to dump Koney's salary to take on any of Vazquez (unless the Yanks are really throwing cash around).

I haven't seen any reports that Glaus is going to play 1B either, where are you seeing that? Just listened to the PC, no mention of him playing 1B. In the PC Glaus says "I think I was brought here to play 3d. Im a 3d baseman, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't play there".

nitetrain8601
12-09-2004, 02:54 PM
I think the Diamondbacks rather have Garland because he's a young MLB-ready pitcher who has potential. Plus he's only 24. That would probably mean we get Vasquez straight up or get very little money with him. I say KW should pull Stein'y strings. We know the Yankees will need either PK or Garland, prolly Garland. So say no to Vasquez unless they throw in money/more money and the Yankees will fold under pressure because they want the big name guy.

cburns
12-09-2004, 03:32 PM
The only way I want Vasquez is if we give up Paulie, and get some cash in return. Garland as a our #5 starter would look real good.

Rocklive99
12-09-2004, 03:51 PM
I hope Clement or Polanco

I like Vazquez and he had a great first half, but then just fell apart? I think some people here are overrating him. Did you see him in the playoffs? What says he will get his mechanics or whatever problem fixed by coming here, it's obvious the Yankees have not just stood around not trying to fix him. Plus Konerko was one of the top hitters in the AL and was the player that gave us any little hope to a playoff birth last year. If you say Garland for Vazquez, are you really getting something better than Garland, or are you just paying more money for the same thing.