PDA

View Full Version : So what should our 25 man roster look like?

mweflen
12-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Here is my hypothetical (yet realistic) 25-man roster - bolded players are not yet acquired.

Starting Lineup:
SS Edgar Rentaria
CF Aaron Rowand
LF Carlos Lee
1B Paul Konerko
DH Frank Thomas
RF Jermaine Dye
2B Juan Uribe
3B Joe Crede
C Jamie Burke
Bench:
2B Willie Harris
IF Ross Gload
OF/DH Carl Everett
OF Timo Perez
C Ben Davis
Rotation:
1 Freddy Garcia
2 Mark Buerhle
3 Matt Clement
4 Jose Contreras
5 Jon Garland
Bullpen:
RP Jon Adkins
LRP Neal Cotts
RP Cliff Politte
SU Dustin Hermanson
SU Damaso Marte
CL Shingo Takatsu

I think adding Renteria and Clement will put us around $80 mil, which supposedly is the "moderate increase in payroll" that KW has promised (and would justify the 15% ticket price hike). This would be a team with good OBP men, strong D, a deeper rotation, and a so-so bullpen. I think this team could win 90-95 games.

Mickster
12-09-2004, 12:57 PM
I think adding Renteria and Clement will put us around $80 mil, which supposedly is the "moderate increase in payroll" that KW has promised (and would justify the 15% ticket price hike). This would be a team with good OBP men, strong D, a deeper rotation, and a so-so bullpen.Impossible to be at $80M with this team b/c we are already at $70M with Hermanson & Dye. Unless you honestly feel we could sign both for $10MM total per year??? :?:

Looks more like an $87M payroll to me.

mweflen
12-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Impossible to be at $80M with this team b/c we are already at $70M with Hermanson & Dye. Unless you honestly feel we could sign both for $10MM total per year??? :?:

Looks more like an $87M payroll to me.87 is "around" 80. :smile: Renteria will probably command $8 mil, Clement $7. So $85mil I suppose.

I think we deserve an 85-87 mil payroll! Ticket prices have increased every year, and attendance has increased also. There is a 15%+ hike this season. Shouldn't we see a 15%+ hike in payroll?

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 01:04 PM
87 is "around" 80. :smile: Renteria will probably command $8 mil, Clement $7. So $85mil I suppose.Uhhh, no. :?: Both Renteria and Clement will probably get closer to $9 million a year.

mweflen
12-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Uhhh, no. :?: Both Renteria and Clement will probably get closer to $9 million a year.
All right then, 88 mil. We deserve it, and can support it financially.

Mickster
12-09-2004, 01:07 PM
All right then, 88 mil. We deserve it, and can support it financially.
Around $80M and $88M are certainly not the same, imho.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 01:07 PM
All right then, 88 mil. We deserve it, and can support it financially.:reinsy
"Uncle Jerry doesn't think you've been a good enough boy this Christmas for an $88 million dollar payroll. Sorry, maybe next year!"

HomeFish
12-09-2004, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't consider any lineup with Renteria in it to be realistic. Renteria is a "big-name" player, and he will have his choice of teams to go to. Only a moron or a true Sox fan (Renti is neither) would pick the Sox over the other more popular and well-funded clubs that he is going to get offers from.

Clement, I don't know. On paper, it seems possible that he actually might want to come here, but I don't see KW stepping up and making the inflated offer necessary to get him. Perhaps I see KW wanting to do it, but not JR consenting.

mweflen
12-09-2004, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't consider any lineup with Renteria in it to be realistic. Renteria is a "big-name" player, and he will have his choice of teams to go to. Only a moron or a true Sox fan (Renti is neither) would pick the Sox over the other more popular and well-funded clubs that he is going to get offers from.

Clement, I don't know. On paper, it seems possible that he actually might want to come here, but I don't see KW stepping up and making the inflated offer necessary to get him. Perhaps I see KW wanting to do it, but not JR consenting.
I could live with just Clement. Though I hate the guy's guts, Willie is not so bad an option at 2nd.

If not Renteria and Clement, then Polanco and Clement would be my second preference. Third preference would be just Clement.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 01:28 PM
I could live with just Clement. Though I hate the guy's guts, Willie is not so bad an option at 2nd.

If not Renteria and Clement, then Polanco and Clement would be my second preference. Third preference would be just Clement.I agree that Polanco and Clement would be ideal but I don't see it happening. It's too expensive for our ~$70 million payroll. Besides, supposedly the Cardinals are close to a deal with Polanco. The most likely thing to happen will be trading Konerko and/or Garland for a starting pitcher (Javier Vazquez) and perhaps signing Miguel Cairo to play 2B.

California Sox
12-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Plus, it's a lineup with nine right-handed hitters which, while it would be interesting for historical reasons, would almost guarantee the sort of "score 14 runs one day, get shut out by any decent RH pitcher who can spot a fastball and get any breaking ball over the next" performance we've become accustomed to. We do need a lead off hitter and we NEED a left handed hitter in the middle of the lineup.

mweflen
12-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Plus, it's a lineup with nine right-handed hitters which, while it would be interesting for historical reasons, would almost guarantee the sort of "score 14 runs one day, get shut out by any decent RH pitcher who can spot a fastball and get any breaking ball over the next" performance we've become accustomed to. We do need a lead off hitter and we NEED a left handed hitter in the middle of the lineup.Gload, Everett, Harris and Perez can all bat lefty if necessary. Since Dye and Thomas will probably both be out for 30+ games apiece anyway, problem solved.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-09-2004, 01:46 PM
:everett:
"I can play short. I can catch. Hell, I can probably pitch. Just get me in the game and let me impress you, than fans. But the most impressive thing I can do is teach a history class."

mjharrison72
12-09-2004, 02:47 PM
I would be shocked if we signed Renteria. Ecstatic, but shocked.

munchman33
12-09-2004, 03:00 PM
This looks like a good place to put this.

Munchman's opening day roster prediction:

CF Rowand
2B Harris/Cairo (platoon)
LF Lee
1B Delgado
RF Dye
DH Everett
SS Uribe
3B Crede
C Davis

Rotation

Buehrle
Garcia
Vasquez
Contreras
Garland

Pen

Shingo
Marte
Pollite
Hermanson
Cotts
Adkins

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 03:02 PM

CF Rowand
LF Lee
1B Delgado
RF Dye
DH Everett
SS Uribe
3B Crede
C Davis

Rotation

Buehrle
Garcia
Vasquez
Contreras
Garland

Pen

Shingo
Marte
Pollite
Hermanson
Cotts
AdkinsWhere do we get the money to sign Carlos Delgado? :?:

Change your projection to Gload at 1B and I will believe it. :tongue:

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 03:02 PM

CF Rowand
LF Lee
1B Delgado
RF Dye
DH Everett
SS Uribe
3B Crede
C Davis

Rotation

Buehrle
Garcia
Vasquez
Contreras
Garland

Pen

Shingo
Marte
Pollite
Hermanson
Cotts
Adkins
That looks like a 75-80mil payroll. Assuming Delgado comes at 10mil (although I think it could be more), and Vazquez at 5-7 after factoring in $$$. IMO unlikely, but possible. Much more likely to swap Gload in for Delgado.

munchman33
12-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Where do we get the money to sign Carlos Delgado? :?:

Change your projection to Gload at 1B and I will believe it. :tongue:
LOL, didn't you hear? Second tier free agents are taking less to sign with us!

gosox41
12-09-2004, 03:19 PM

CF Rowand
LF Lee
1B Delgado
RF Dye
DH Everett
SS Uribe
3B Crede
C Davis

Rotation

Buehrle
Garcia
Vasquez
Contreras
Garland

Pen

Shingo
Marte
Pollite
Hermanson
Cotts
Adkins
It's a nice prediction, but Delgado isn't coming here. He didn't want to be traded here earlier so I don't see why he wants to come here now.

Bob

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 03:22 PM
It's a nice prediction, but Delgado isn't coming here. He didn't want to be traded here earlier so I don't see why he wants to come here now.

Bob
He didn't want to go anywhere in-season, he wanted to stay in Toronto. He can't do that now (unless he only wants like $6mil/yr). So I'd guess he's as open to coming here as other places.

striker60657
12-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Delgado would be a nice pickup but unlikely. I agree with everyone else that Gload will start. I still think Gload is solid. He won't hit for more power than Kornerko but he will hit for better average. Plus he batted over .330 against lefties.

I think the team we end up with on the field will have less pop but better average.

munchman33
12-09-2004, 04:56 PM
He didn't want to go anywhere in-season, he wanted to stay in Toronto. He can't do that now (unless he only wants like $6mil/yr). So I'd guess he's as open to coming here as other places.
Not to mention the reason he didn't want to leave. He was upset with the organization and didn't want them to get anything for him.

Harris=God
12-09-2004, 04:59 PM
No matter who we get that bullpen still is very shakey

mweflen
12-09-2004, 05:21 PM
No matter who we get that bullpen still is very shakeyI don't know whether to laugh at your username, or... oh wait...

:chunks

:tongue: