PDA

View Full Version : Glaus to sign with the D-backs

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 07:44 AM
The Diamondbacks are expected to announce today the signing of Troy Glaus to a 4-year, $45 million contract. That seems extremely high. I guess pitchers won't be the only players getting overpaid this offseason. If Glaus can get a deal averaging $11 million a season (though that's not the way the contract is paid out), then what is Drew going to get? Beltran? You gotta think they loved seeing this. FWIW, the D-backs are officially done with Richie Sexson now. This means Detroit lost out on Glaus. I have to wonder if they'll go after Beltre now.

Link (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/1209dbacks1209.html)

GAsoxfan
12-09-2004, 09:08 AM
I just saw on ESPNEWS that Glaus signed a 4 yr. contract for $45 million. That's alot of money for a team that's supposedly in so much debt.

kittle42
12-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Whoa - why in the hell would they give him that much if these figures are true?

Brian26
12-09-2004, 09:12 AM
That seems like too much, Geez. And he's going to play first for them, correct?

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 09:32 AM
That's an awful lot of money for someone that hasnt played a full season since 2002 and hasnt had a great one since 2001.

Hangar18
12-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Whoa - why in the hell would they give him that much if these figures are true?
Because the DBacks, like the Mets, Cardinals and Giants, LOVE American
League Players, young or old, bad or good.

Tekijawa
12-09-2004, 09:55 AM
WOW, talk about over paying... no wonder their in debt.

munchman33
12-09-2004, 10:12 AM
This year's market is pricing us out of everything.

Lip Man 1
12-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Munchman says: "This year's market is pricing us out of everything."

No...the White Sox CHOOSE not to pay the going rate for talent. In other words all the other MLB teams feel business should be conducted one way....and then there is the White Sox way.

LOL

That's accomplished a hell of a lot hasn't it?

Oh by the way this signing says something about how badly the D-backs are in debt right?

LOL

In 'debt' because some accountant played games with some numbers perhaps.

Lip

jackbrohamer
12-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Even if the Sox aren't landing guys like Glaus, I'm glad they are being such big players in the free agent market.

munchman33
12-09-2004, 01:48 PM

No...the White Sox CHOOSE not to pay the going rate for talent. In other words all the other MLB teams feel business should be conducted one way....and then there is the White Sox way.

LOL

Oh by the way this signing says something about how badly the D-backs are in debt right?

LOL

Lip
I don't doubt that they're in debt. I think they're taking your approach of spending money they don't have to build a fanbase and eventually make more money. It could work. But if I were a Diamondbacks fan, I'd be cringing over an investment like that from a team with documented financial difficulty. That much money for a guy that spent almost all of last season on the D.L.?

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 01:57 PM

LOL

LOL

Lip
It says nothing of the kind. They know they can deal RJ if they want to and cut some or all of $16mil.

And for the record, the teams making these pitching signings: Yanks, Mets, Phillies. Not exactly an across-the-board movement. If it spreads/continues, then maybe it will be one, but IMO you'll see a lot more teams than just the Sox waiting for prices to drop before jumping in.

StillMissOzzie
12-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Heard a snippet of Glaus on the radio today talking about returning the D-Backs to their storied past. Considering that RJ will be gone by 7/31/05 if not prior to the start of the 2005 campaign, I don't think that the D-Backs will even be above .500 for at least the next 2 years. So much for playing for a winner.

SMO
:gulp:

Lip Man 1
12-09-2004, 05:14 PM
From Doug Padilla's story in the Sun-Times:

Wright's price tag was higher than the Sox were willing to go, and the going rate for starters has surprised Williams.
''Its very concerning, but less concerning because we've got four quality guys in our rotation,'' Williams said.

Lip

Nick@Nite
12-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Heard a snippet of Glaus on the radio today talking about returning the D-Backs to their storied past.
One WS (win) in 2001 is a storied past? :?:

anewman35
12-09-2004, 05:44 PM

If the White Sox set a budget based on what they thought the price would be, and it turns out to be more, where do you expect them to get the money? Money doesn't just appear out of nowhere.

Lip Man 1
12-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Anewman:

For a multimillion dollar business like the White Sox who pay nothing for the stadium rent (or very little 3 times... in the past 10 years) ever hear of something called a loan? Which they can easily get because of the value of the franchise as cited for example by Forbes.

Lip