PDA

View Full Version : Great quote about Reinsdorf

doublem23
12-09-2004, 08:25 AM
``Jerry Reinsdorf is an extremely wealthy businessperson only interested in making money,'' Fenty told the newspaper. ``The fact that we somehow are preparing to possibly hire one of his family members makes the deal that much more bothersome and troubling.''
Full story (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-washingtonbaseball&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Wow. Selig and Reinsdorf are scum.

cubhater
12-09-2004, 08:33 AM
Full story (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-washingtonbaseball&prov=ap&type=lgns)

You're preaching to the choir. I can just imagine Reinsdorf Jr. threatening to move the Nationals unless the city hires IFG.

SoxFanTillDeath
12-09-2004, 08:34 AM
Interesting article on excite.com's sports section today about JR and his son. Here's the link:

http://sports.excite.com/news/12092004/v1028.html

I found the following quote to be pretty funny and true:

"Jerry Reinsdorf is an extremely wealthy businessperson only interested in making money," Fenty told the newspaper. "The fact that we somehow are preparing to possibly hire one of his family members makes the deal that much more bothersome and troubling."

Mickster
12-09-2004, 08:35 AM
They're scum because a DC councilman says so? Doubt it. I don't think that there's some ploy here. The article goes on to mention that JR's kid has also been hired do do work at Comerica Park, Great American Ball Park, the Marlins' stadium and Miller Park.

Foulke29
12-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Well, I think we all know who will be chaiman of the Sox after JR decides to step down.

kittle42
12-09-2004, 09:13 AM
"Jerry Reinsdorf is an extremely wealthy businessperson only interested in making money,"
The same can be said for just about any businessperson and just about any owner outside of Mark Cuban.

CarlosMay'sThumb
12-09-2004, 09:31 AM

Sounds to me like your opinion of Reinsdorf and Selig should be written in green. Your jealousy is obvious. You only wish you were a rich businessman interested in making money. For Pete's sake, why is a guy "scum" if he's rich and wants to make money?! Seems to me we'd all like to be rich and are definitely all interested in making money.

Anyone who believes a D.C. Councilman about anything is a moron.

So that makes you a moron.:dtroll:

FarWestChicago
12-09-2004, 09:37 AM
The same can be said for just about any businessperson and just about any owner outside of Mark Cuban.I would also be generous if I completely fleeced Yahoo for $8 billion. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Deadguy
12-09-2004, 09:37 AM

That was pretty uncalled for.

D23 is a decent guy, and I've never read anything remotely trollish from him. He also has over 10,000 posts, so he's either pulled the wool over the moderators' eyes, or you are way off base.

FarWestChicago
12-09-2004, 09:38 AM
So that makes you a moron.And that puts you on a healthy time out.

doublem23
12-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Sounds to me like your opinion of Reinsdorf and Selig should be written in green. Your jealousy is obvious. You only wish you were a rich businessman interested in making money. For Pete's sake, why is a guy "scum" if he's rich and wants to make money?! Seems to me we'd all like to be rich and are definitely all interested in making money.

So that makes you a moron.:dtroll:Reading is a skill my friend. Reinsdorf using his power in the MLB to pocket a little cash for his boy... at the expense of the Expos. Maybe they weren't so hastedly (and hence, ****tily) treated for a reason.

But Unky Jerry wouldn't use his power to pocket a few bucks at the expense of the fans of the game, would he?

:reinsy
Anyone who thinks we can catch Cleveland is crazy. What other salaries can we dump?

Oh, and I'd rather be a good person than be filthy stinking rich. :wink:

Lip Man 1
12-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Just FYI.

In May 2004 Uncle Jerry told Bob Sirott of WTTW-TV during his interview that his sons have 'no desire' to take over the running of the White Sox after he is gone.

I have the tape of that interview by the way.

Lip

Hangar18
12-09-2004, 10:01 AM

wow, pretty heavy words there Mr Reinsdorf.
I want to be rich and famous too, but theres such a thing called Ethics.
The way hes run this team is far from Above-the-board, and im sure
in due time, we'll all find out what this guys all about. The fact
that Jerry "the real commish" Reinsdorf is making deals with Peter Angelos
to pipe down about the DC team, tells you something.

I dont blast Jerry for being a good businessman, I just Blast him
for wasting away good teams and causing the strike.

jackbrohamer
12-09-2004, 10:39 AM
What could be better than having a Reinsdorf at the helm in developing a new stadium?

kittle42
12-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Just FYI.

In May 2004 Uncle Jerry told Bob Sirott of WTTW-TV during his interview that his sons have 'no desire' to take over the running of the White Sox after he is gone.

I have the tape of that interview by the way.

Lip
Hmm. I'm 27. Jerry's 70-something....I think I may eventually see a new owner!

jackbrohamer
12-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Hmm. I'm 27. Jerry's 70-something....I think I may eventually see a new owner!
I've been thinking the same thing about the Wirtzs since I was a teenager, and about the McCaskeys for the past 20 years. And I'm 45.

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 11:04 AM
The key question is, who chose IFG? Nothing in the article speaks to that. If the one who chose him is somehow beholden to JR, either directly or indirectly, it's a clear conflict. If there's no connection, what's the beef?

NonetheLoaiza
12-09-2004, 11:49 AM
dont think this has been posted before, but its an interesting article with a good quote about JR in it. Just talks about a conflict of interest between the Reinsdorfs and the Nationals stadium deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1942492

NonetheLoaiza
12-09-2004, 11:54 AM
my fault, just saw it posted on Sox Clubhouse...

SOXSINCE'70
12-09-2004, 12:11 PM
I would also be generous if I completely fleeced Yahoo for $8 billion. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Hey West!!!

If you've got that 8 bill,can I get a loan??:D: :D: :D:

steff
12-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Well, I think we all know who will be chaiman of the Sox after JR decides to step down.

No one with the last name of Reinsdorf.

Hangar18
12-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Rein$dorf Jr would have to BUY his shares like his dad correct?
or couldnt the old man just GIVE him his controlling interest?

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Rein$dorf Jr would have to BUY his shares like his dad correct?
or couldnt the old man just GIVE him his controlling interest?
no, it would then be taxable. They would need to be purchased at some market rate (how that would be determined in this case I do not know). I suppose they could work out some sort of seller-financing, but in the end it would have to be paid off.

JKryl
12-09-2004, 02:25 PM
no, it would then be taxable. They would need to be purchased at some market rate (how that would be determined in this case I do not know). I suppose they could work out some sort of seller-financing, but in the end it would have to be paid off.
How about putting Dad's shares in a trust, and making Junior the executor? Where there's a couple hundred million, there's a way. :rolleyes:

Mohoney
12-09-2004, 03:29 PM
I've been thinking the same thing about the Wirtzs since I was a teenager, and about the McCaskeys for the past 20 years. And I'm 45.
Two of the reasons I keep cyanide capsules under my pillow.

Nick@Nite
12-09-2004, 04:02 PM
...DeBartolo?

steff
12-09-2004, 04:32 PM

He most certiantly could will them to him with no tax penalty. But he won't. Jr has stated several times he wants nothing to do with running the Sox.

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 04:36 PM
He most certiantly could will them to him with no tax penalty. But he won't. Jr has stated several times he wants nothing to do with running the Sox.
Wouldnt that be subject to inheritance tax?

steff
12-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Wouldnt that be subject to inheritance tax?

To will him the shares is no consequence. Once he profits from them.. I believe that's another story.

Here's an example. It's a bit cloudy.. especially since none of us know the true value of the estate. This is all moot anyway. Jr doesn't want any part of the Sox in that capasity.

In the past, Illinois inheritance taxes were pretty simple. You didn’t owe any tax unless you owed federal inheritance tax. Illinois inheritance taxes were “pickup taxes,” or part of what was paid the federal government.
That has all changed.

The federal government has slowly increased the amount that one can pass free of its estate tax (from $600,000.00 to $1.5 million as of 1/1/04). The states feared losing their portion of the estate taxes, so some states (including Illinois) split from the federal government and will charge a “state” estate tax independent of the federal tax. The Illinois tax ranges from 6% (of the amount over the tax-free amount) to 16% if you have a large estate of $10 million or more.

If you are like most clients, you do not want a dazzling legal analysis of this issue and just want to know how this affects you. Here’s how it affects you:

If you have a large estate ($1.5 million or more) and have real estate in another state you might want to have your trust or will reviewed. Each state is different and the law of the state where you own real estate will need to be checked. For instance, many clients own land in Wisconsin, and the Badger state only allows a $675,000 tax-free amount against its tax. See this Chicago Tribune article Chicago Tribune | Death tax hits where you live (http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/realestate/realestate/chi-0312070230dec07,0,1037114.story?coll=chi-classifiedrealestate-hed) for more details.

If all your property is in Illinois, you do not have to worry about the Illinois tax if your estate is $1.5 million or less in 2004 and 2005. If your estate is $2 million or less between 2006 through 2009 then you are in the clear on Illinois estate taxes. If your estate is over $2 million then you might want to have your will or trust reviewed.

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 05:21 PM
To will him the shares is no consequence. Once he profits from them.. I believe that's another story.

Here's an example. It's a bit cloudy.. especially since none of us know the true value of the estate. This is all moot anyway. Jr doesn't want any part of the Sox in that capasity.

In the past, Illinois inheritance taxes were pretty simple. You didn’t owe any tax unless you owed federal inheritance tax. Illinois inheritance taxes were “pickup taxes,” or part of what was paid the federal government.
That has all changed.

The federal government has slowly increased the amount that one can pass free of its estate tax (from $600,000.00 to $1.5 million as of 1/1/04). The states feared losing their portion of the estate taxes, so some states (including Illinois) split from the federal government and will charge a “state” estate tax independent of the federal tax. The Illinois tax ranges from 6% (of the amount over the tax-free amount) to 16% if you have a large estate of $10 million or more.

If you are like most clients, you do not want a dazzling legal analysis of this issue and just want to know how this affects you. Here’s how it affects you:

If you have a large estate ($1.5 million or more) and have real estate in another state you might want to have your trust or will reviewed. Each state is different and the law of the state where you own real estate will need to be checked. For instance, many clients own land in Wisconsin, and the Badger state only allows a $675,000 tax-free amount against its tax. See this Chicago Tribune article Chicago Tribune | Death tax hits where you live (http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/realestate/realestate/chi-0312070230dec07,0,1037114.story?coll=chi-classifiedrealestate-hed) for more details.

If all your property is in Illinois, you do not have to worry about the Illinois tax if your estate is $1.5 million or less in 2004 and 2005. If your estate is $2 million or less between 2006 through 2009 then you are in the clear on Illinois estate taxes. If your estate is over $2 million then you might want to have your will or trust reviewed.

You're right, I forgot the distinction between realized and unrealized capital gains applied to inheritances.

steff
12-09-2004, 10:04 PM
You're right, I forgot the distinction between realized and unrealized capital gains applied to inheritances.

No worries.. I had to look to be sure also. :wink:

JKryl
12-10-2004, 08:23 AM
No wonder there are so many run on arguments at WSI (see previous 2 or 3 posts), half the regulars seem to be lawyers!:rolleyes: