PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Dye signs with Sox

cornball
12-09-2004, 08:57 AM
per ESPN radio. 2 years 9 million.

Dolanski
12-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Now that's a decent pick up and cheap too! Here's to Jermaine reviving his once promising career on the southside...

doublem23
12-09-2004, 09:08 AM
2 years/$9 million?

Impressive, impressive signing.

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Wow, Sox news rolling in here. The 2nd year seems risky. This is a high risk high reward move. If healthy, Dye could be a nice filler for the space left by Maggs. If not, we're left with another Carl Everett. I guess I like the move. It doesn't seem like we overpaid too much, but I have to wonder what becomes of Carl Everett. Does this mean the Sox don't feel Thomas with be ready to start the season and are planning to go with Everett at DH? Does this mean Lee gets shopped and Everett moves into left field?

DaveIsHere
12-09-2004, 09:09 AM
9mill Per???

Awesome signing

Bobby Thigpen
12-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Everett in left field???:o: :o:

DaveIsHere
maybe it frees up someone for us to get Hudson!!!! That should be in teal hehe

Edit: Actually now we can do a Hudson-Everett even trade!!!!

gosox41
9mill Per???

Awesome signing
I think it's $4.5 mill per.

Bob

The Wimperoo
Now we just have to face E-blow every night and we will have an all world player on our hands

In all seriousness, if Dye can remain healthy this is a hell of a deal. Props to KW for once. Good job:gulp:

JRIG
12-09-2004, 09:13 AM
I think it's $4.5 mill per.

Bob
Bob, this is KW. It might be 9 million per.

If true, I like the signing a lot. For all the talk about pitching, this team desperately needed another bat. Especially with brittle Carl Everett in the mix and especially with Frank possibly not ready for opening day.

Plus, with pitching overvalued this offseason (see: Hermanson, Dustin), maybe the true bargains are among the hitters. Then again, we did see Guzman land a huge deal.

hold2dibber
12-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Wow, Sox news rolling in here. The 2nd year seems risky. This is a high risk high reward move. If healthy, Dye could be a nice filler for the space left by Maggs. If not, we're left with another Carl Everett. I guess I like the move. It doesn't seem like we overpaid too much, but I have to wonder what becomes of Carl Everett. Does this mean the Sox don't feel Thomas with be ready to start the season and are planning to go with Everett at DH? Does this mean Lee gets shopped and Everett moves into left field?
I'm pretty confident it's the former (i.e., Thomas won't be ready to start the season, so Everett DH's and Dye is in RF). The signing reminds me of the Sox musicial chairs of coming-off-injury RFs in the early 90's (Tartabull, Burks, etc.). I think it's a good pick-up for that price.

So as of right now, assuming Frank is injured, the opening day line-up is:

Rowand CF
Harris 2B
Lee LF
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Everett DH
Uribe SS
Crede 3B
Davis C

Not too bad. They still could really, really use a high OBP guy at 2B, SS, 3B or C to lead-off.

Gammons Peter
12-09-2004, 09:15 AM
I like it, except for the fact that we'll remain the only team in the league with an all right handed outfield and corner infield, you can't win with that.

hold2dibber
12-09-2004, 09:17 AM
I like it, except for the fact that we'll remain the only team in the league with an all right handed outfield and corner infield, you can't win with that.
Why not?

doublem23
12-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Then again, we did see Guzman land a huge deal.
I don't really think Guzman will be indicative of the market.

From Jim Caple (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/041202)...

The Expos/Nationals also have an interim general manager busy acquiring expensive baggage with the sort of enthusiasm that can only be mustered by a GM who doesn't report to an owner.

Jim Bowden signed Cristian Guzman to a four-year, $16.8 million contact -- even though the shortstop failed to fulfill his early promise with Minnesota, is slowing down on the bases and too-seldom reaches those bases in the first place (he has a .303 career on-base percentage). Bowden also gave a two-year contract to Vinny Castilla ,who will be 38 next season, has never prospered away from the Rockies and who had a difficult-to-believe .281 on-base percentage outside Denver in 2004. Plus, Bowden traded for Jose Guillen, who ended last season under suspension by the Angels for insubordination, has been released three times and will be playing for his seventh organization in six years.

Sheesh, why doesn't Bodwn sign Mike Epstein to a three-year deal while he's at it?

Those moves are the equivalent of trying to unload a used car from the lot while your head salesman adds a $900 eight-track tape deck, re-upholsters the interior with $2,000 worth of Corinthian leather and buys a $400 pair of vintage fuzzy dice to dangle from the rear-view mirror.

But what the heck, why not? It isn't as if the money is coming out of Bowden's wallet. He probably won't even be on the scene when the eventual owner starts screaming about paying Guzman $4 million a year to hit .230 with four home runs and one triple.

cubhater
12-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Now that's a decent pick up and cheap too! Here's to Jermaine reviving his once promising career on the southside...
Yep. Good signing as long as he stays away from the injury bug. Now lets use the money we would've spent on Maggs on some quality pitching!

whitesoxfan444
12-09-2004, 09:20 AM
I like to know what otis knows since we haven't heard much from him for awhile now. Look foward your information Otis:supernana:

JRIG
12-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Yep. Good signing as long as he stays away from the injury bug. Now lets use the money we would've spent on Maggs on some quality pitching!
We've already spent that money on Freddy Garcia, Jose Contreras, and raises to a handful of players.

ode to veeck
12-09-2004, 09:22 AM
If healthy, Dye's a solid player and somewhat younger than Everett, who might move to backup or be shopped when Hurt returns. Nice pick up KW!

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 09:23 AM
I suppose I'm dreaming, but add Polanco and Clement in and this offseason would be fine.

Deadguy
12-09-2004, 09:24 AM
I guess this is our "big splash" move for the winter. Not too exciting, but a decent pickup, if he can at least maintain last year's production, and at a decent price.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Very good move. I'm glad KW got someone who could fill in the void left by Maggs better than anyone else on the white sox roster for cheap. I'd rather see the White Sox fill in offensive holes for cheap rather than overpay for a guy such as Jaret Wright to fill in the SP hole. It would be nice if we could fill in the SP hole though, with Matt Clement and then maybe get Polanco too as JJav suggested. :)

SoxFanTillDeath
12-09-2004, 09:29 AM
per ESPN radio. 2 years 9 million.

Can anyone confirm this from another source? I listen to ESPN all the time and never heard this...

JRIG
I suppose I'm dreaming, but add Polanco and Clement in and this offseason would be fine.
Those are my top two targets, but I doubt we have a chance at both with the signings the past two days.

jake27
if you want to look at dye's stats here they are http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5610

128 k's last season doesnt have me too happy. but hes a gold glove winner and at the cell, could hit 25 if not more hr's a year

overall i think it was a good signing.:smile:

Frater Perdurabo
I like the move, but I wish Dye batted left-handed. Rowand, Frank, Lee, Konerko, Dye, Crede and Uribe all are right-handed. Only Everett, Davis, Borchard and Harris are switch hitters, and Everett only plays positions where better hitters play (Dye, Lee, Frank).

JRIG
12-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Also, Everett is helpless against left-handed pitching. Even when Frank's healthy, this should be a pretty good guanantee Carl won't see action in those circumstances.

CarlosMay'sThumb
12-09-2004, 09:35 AM
If healthy, Dye could be a nice filler for the space left by Maggs. OK, now things have really gotten crazy. Dye is an oft-injured career .272 hitter. He couldn't hold Maggs' jockstrap.

Please, let's not completely lose our minds over the signing of a mediocre free agent that his own team wouldn't even offer arbitration.:rolleyes:

Dolanski
12-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Interesting point about the RH-LH batting. Not good that he is another righty, but I would rather have him in the lineup than Carl. Personally, I think there is a giant pitchfork sticking out of Carl's back. Dye, before he broke his leg in Oakland, was considered above average and on the verge of being a star.

Also, does this signal the end of the Joe Borchard Experiment or did that happen when the Mexican league team dumped him? Perhaps the Bears should give him a shot at QB, anyone would be better the Dr. Quinn Medicine Quarterback.

Mickster
12-09-2004, 09:42 AM
OK, now things have really gotten crazy. Dye is an oft-injured career .272 hitter. He couldn't hold Maggs' jockstrap.

Please, let's not completely lose our minds over the signing of a mediocre free agent that his own team wouldn't even offer arbitration.:rolleyes:
The A's wouldn't offer arbitration only because it would cost them a bundle. I'm certain that Bean would love Dye at $4.5M/yr.

JRIG
12-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Also, does this signal the end of the Joe Borchard Experiment or did that happen when the Mexican league team dumped him? Perhaps the Bears should give him a shot at QB, anyone would be better the Dr. Quinn Medicine Quarterback.
No, KW said yesterday or two days ago he thinks Borchard needs "another year of seasoning" in the minors.

Whatever. As long as he doesn't sniff the Clubhouse at Comiskey.

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 09:43 AM
OK, now things have really gotten crazy. Dye is an oft-injured career .272 hitter. He couldn't hold Maggs' jockstrap.

Please, let's not completely lose our minds over the signing of a mediocre free agent that his own team wouldn't even offer arbitration.:rolleyes:The A's didn't offer him arbitration because he made over $11 million last year. If they offered him arbitration, he'd likely easily accept and grab himself $9 million plus for a year. There's no way Oakland would do that.

Look, I'm not saying he's Maggs. He's definitely a significant step down. But if he's healthy, he'll should be able to give us 25/90 and we need run production out of that spot. Timo Perez and Joe Borchard would not have cut it. Dye at least gives us a good filler for a few years until Anderson is ready.

JRIG
12-09-2004, 09:45 AM
The A's wouldn't offer arbitration only because it would cost them a bundle. I'm certain that Bean would love Dye at $4.5M/yr.
Yep. Dye made $11.67 million last year, which means the A's would have had to offer him at least...what...about $9 million. With no guarantee Dye wouldn't ask for a higher number and win the case.

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Also, I guess it should be noted, this news is coming out of New York. It still hasn't been confirmed locally. Bruce Levine is working on it to confirm the story.

JRIG
12-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Look, I'm not saying he's Maggs. He's definitely a significant step down. But if he's healthy, he'll should be able to give us 25/90 and we need run production out of that spot. Timo Perez and Joe Borchard would not have cut it. Dye at least gives us a good filler for a few years until Anderson is ready.
He's not Mags, but his years at Kaufman (offense friendly, like U.S. Cellular) his numbers look pretty darn good. Oakland is a tough place to hit.

faneidde
12-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Also, I guess it should be noted, this news is coming out of New York. It still hasn't been confirmed locally. Bruce Levine is working on it to confirm the story. This story seems too good to be true. With the numbers some people have been getting, I doubt anyone, let alone the Sox, could snag Dye for 4.5 mil per. If this is true, Dye is a bargain.

voodoochile
12-09-2004, 09:54 AM

So the team that signs Maggs should feel the same way. :dunno:

Nice to see the Sox doing something - heck, doing anything.

Solid pickup.

12-09-2004, 09:55 AM
I really like it and I believe it is 2 years 9 million, so 4.5 a year which is fine. Dye was the best OF in the AL in 2000 and 2001, he had a good year last year, I had him on my fantasy team actually, and should thrive at the Cell after playing at the Oakland Coliseum. As far as opening day lineups, I would be surprised at Paulie in there, I really feel like after this weekend, he may be gone. But I want to comment that if we give up Pauile and Garland for Vazquez, then I really think we are getting bent over....it's too much in my eyes.

Kilroy
12-09-2004, 09:57 AM
This story seems too good to be true. With the numbers some people have been getting, I doubt anyone, let alone the Sox, could snag Dye for 4.5 mil per. If this is true, Dye is a bargain.
Its definitely not a bad signing, especially at that cash. Still not what we need most, but I'm sure KW isn't done. Hopefully the next Sox signing includes the name Pavano or Clement...

Jurr
12-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Well, from what I've been reading around the country, a lot of these injury prone guys are just trying to get smaller contracts to re-establish their market value by putting together good years in a good environment. Dye's probably thinking, " I used to be the big cheese in KC. If I can get healthy and go to this team that plays in a launching pad and put up 30 HR for two straight years, my last pro contract will be a monster!"

In other news, according to a NY Post article, the Vazquez deal is "gaining steam" as of yesterday. The big three way is what I'm referring to. It looks like we could be getting two Yanks...Vazquez and Cairo. Cairo wouldn't be part of the deal, but he should come cheap and the Sox are looking him up.

JKryl
12-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Something is fishy here. How come the signing isn't on the web anywhere? It's not on the Sox web site, google, or on the Trib or Times sites. Are we jumping the gun here?

munchman33
12-09-2004, 09:59 AM
This is great. If Frank is healthy, we can platoon Dye and Dino in right field. And given the state of the market, it didn't really cost us much.

But we still need at least one more starter.

Kilroy
12-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Something is fishy here. How come the signing isn't on the web anywhere? It's not on the Sox web site, google, or on the Trib or Times sites. Are we jumping the gun here?
The Sox haven't announced this yet, but it has been reported as a done deal. I heard yesterday that the Sox would be announcing something else today...

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Something is fishy here. How come the signing isn't on the web anywhere? It's not on the Sox web site, google, or on the Trib or Times sites. Are we jumping the gun here?Probably because it's an early morning signing, and I don't think the Sox are confirming it yet. Why, we don't know. It's 1050 ESPN Radio in New York reporting this. It's possible the Sox brass is en route to Anaheim and that is why they haven't confirmed this yet. It's possible that the deal has been agreed to but Dye is en route to Chicago to take a physical before the deal is announced. It's hard to tell at this point. Hopefully Levine gives us something soon. As for why it isn't on the web, probably because the team hasn't confirmed the signing and the story broke too late for websites to get it up. If a newspaper was breaking this, it would be on the web. But with the report coming from an ESPN radio affiliate in New York, early in the morning, it's not surprising we don't have confirmation yet.

Brian26
12-09-2004, 10:05 AM
At $4.5 million a year, this seems like a very smart move. Kudos to KW.

kittle42
12-09-2004, 10:08 AM
So the team that signs Maggs should feel the same way. :dunno:

Nice to see the Sox doing something - heck, doing anything.

Solid pickup.Agreed. I probably would have preferred Hidalgo for the same 2 years, but this is just fine. Not a huge, huge name, but a solid acquisition.

Tekijawa
12-09-2004, 10:10 AM
I like it if it's true and at the 4.5 million price... if it's 9 million a season I would have rather had Renteria...

duke of dorwood
12-09-2004, 10:10 AM
Its a good move but remember, the team he hit best against was ,............... you guessed it.

doublem23
12-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Its a good move but remember, the team he hit best against was ,............... you guessed it.
Hopefully that has something to do with the Cell.

Kogs35
12-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Probably because it's an early morning signing, and I don't think the Sox are confirming it yet. Why, we don't know. It's 1050 ESPN Radio in New York reporting this. It's possible the Sox brass is en route to Anaheim and that is why they haven't confirmed this yet. It's possible that the deal has been agreed to but Dye is en route to Chicago to take a physical before the deal is announced. It's hard to tell at this point. Hopefully Levine gives us something soon. As for why it isn't on the web, probably because the team hasn't confirmed the signing and the story broke too late for websites to get it up. If a newspaper was breaking this, it would be on the web. But with the report coming from an ESPN radio affiliate in New York, early in the morning, it's not surprising we don't have confirmation yet.
michael kay show will be talking about the hot stove http://www.1050espnradio.com click listen live

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 10:17 AM
michael kay show will be talking about the hot stove http://www.1050espnradio.com (http://www.1050espnradio.com/) click listen liveWhen? Right now they are complaining about Jamal Crawford missing too many open shots and being a bad shooter. Thanks for the insight.

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 10:17 AM
If he's healthy, Dye can be a pretty darn good player. I would expect at least 25 homers over a full season and about a .340 OBP, which is subpar, but for 4.5 million it aint bad at all. His totals could go up a LOT with a full season at the Cell. I commend KW if this is true on filling the RF hole with a competent replacement. Thomas, Rowand, Lee, Konerko and Dye should form a great power core if they are all there next year and healthy.

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 10:18 AM
I like it if it's true and at the 4.5 million price... if it's 9 million a season I would have rather had Renteria...

Dye is not getting 9 mil a year from anyone.

Kogs35
12-09-2004, 10:20 AM
When? Right now they are complaining about Jamal Crawford missing too many open shots and being a bad shooter? Thanks for the insight.
i heard it in the preview after mike and mike.

duke of dorwood
12-09-2004, 10:24 AM
AM 1000 says its confirmed w/ AL office

HomeFish
12-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Huzzah for the Fielder of Right!

VenturaFan23
12-09-2004, 10:35 AM
It's official according to Levine from ESPN Radio. Now where the heck is that starting pitcher we need to get??

Sad
12-09-2004, 10:36 AM
decent pickup IMO

Mickster
12-09-2004, 10:36 AM
AM 1000 says its confirmed w/ AL office
Confirmed at $4M for '05, $5M for '06 w/ team option or buyout for '07.

HomeFish
12-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Less playing time for Borchard.

Mickster
12-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Always a good thing. Will Borchard even be on the 25 man roster???

Dolanski
12-09-2004, 10:39 AM
How could Kenny do that to us? He's the future of the franchise!!!

jabrch
People keep saying he is injury prone...

Can someone list his injury history for me? All I recall is he foulded a ball off his leg and shattered it, misssing the end of 2002, the post season and a good chunk of 2003. Last year he played 140 games - and I don't recall a significant injury. Before that, 158, 157, 158 - so that's three full seasons.

Look like a decent signing to me - not going to tear it up and win an MVP, but should be a productive OF in the order. In Oakland, in his full seasons, he hit 26 HRs, so 32 @ USCF wouldn't be crazy if healthy. Maybe hit .280 with a .340 obp? Optimisitc...but reasonable.

munchman33
NO.

JRIG
12-09-2004, 10:40 AM
KW said earlier this week he thinks Borchard needs one more year of "seasoning."

HomeFish
12-09-2004, 10:41 AM
He's a career .272 batter with some bad seasons under his belt, so he had potential at least in one point in his career.

Still, we need to analyze him relatively. He is so much better than our other options there.

Mickster
12-09-2004, 10:41 AM
KW said earlier this week he thinks Borchard needs one more year of "seasoning."
Where? Didn't he get "seasoned" enough in the Mexican league this winter?

Dolanski
12-09-2004, 10:42 AM
I think we have been hearing that for about 3 seasons now. I give him until mini camp to switch back to football...

Etownsox13
12-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Good pickup....not great, not terrible

Dye wont be able to fill the space left by Mags, bu thes a solid player

fledgedrallycap
12-09-2004, 10:48 AM
People keep saying he is injury prone...

Can someone list his injury history for me? All I recall is he foulded a ball off his leg and shattered it, misssing the end of 2002, the post season and a good chunk of 2003. Last year he played 140 games - and I don't recall a significant injury. Before that, 158, 157, 158 - so that's three full seasons.

Look like a decent signing to me - not going to tear it up and win an MVP, but should be a productive OF in the order. In Oakland, in his full seasons, he hit 26 HRs, so 32 @ USCF wouldn't be crazy if healthy. Maybe hit .280 with a .340 obp? Optimisitc...but reasonable.
He seperated a shoulder in '03 - so two pretty fluke injuries in back-to-back seasons.

Dan H
12-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Good pick up though it is nothing to get overly excited about. I just hope that not all the post season moves won't depend on how cheap someone is.

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 10:53 AM
i heard it in the preview after mike and mike.It doesn't sound like anything in the first hour. Right now they are talking about the Knicks. I kinda like this show. They've ripped Isiah for putting together a bad roster and talked about the Knicks lack of defense, particularly in the backcourt. Seems like New Yorkers are starting to realize what Bulls fans already knew about Crawford.

Even though Levine has already confirmed the Dye signing, I'd still like to hear what Kay has to say about the potential 3-way trade. I hope they get to the hot stove baseball talk soon and get off the Carter for Houston trade.

Kogs35
12-09-2004, 10:57 AM
It doesn't sound like anything in the first hour. Right now they are talking about the Knicks. I kinda like this show. They've ripped Isiah for putting together a bad roster and talked about the Knicks lack of defense, particularly in the backcourt. Seems like New Yorkers are starting to realize what Bulls fans already knew about Crawford.

Even though Levine has already confirmed the Dye signing, I'd still like to hear what Kay has to say about the potential 3-way trade. I hope they get to the hot stove baseball talk soon and get off the Carter for Houston trade.
they love ripping the knicks when there the flagship of the knicks. but anyway im listing to it also since i happen to be in ny so im waiting for them to talk baseball also

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 11:02 AM
The report now includes a 3rd year option (2007) for $6 million. Sounds like a team option.

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 11:12 AM
The report now includes a 3rd year option (2007) for $6 million. Sounds like a team option.
That is sweet. GREAT move by KW. If Dye can keep away from the somewhat freaky injuries, I think he'll be a HUGE bargain at 4,5,6 mil.

Baby Fisk
12-09-2004, 11:13 AM
A good signing by Kenny. Respect. :gulp:

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Chicagosports.com has a story up. $4 million in 2005, $5 million in 2006 and a club option at $6 million in 2007 with a $1.15 million buyout.

"Jermaine is a veteran who fills an immediate need for us," said general manager Ken Williams in a statement from the team.Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-041209sox,0,657933.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

nasox
12-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Chicagosports.com has a story up. $4 million in 2005, $5 million in 2006 and a club option at $6 million in 2007 with a $1.15 million buyout.

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-041209sox,0,657933.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Nice structure, I like this move. The buyout is key cuz if he sucks, we could save ourselves a bunch of green.

voodoochile
12-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Nice structure, I like this move. The buyout is key cuz if he sucks, we could save ourselves a bunch of green.
Plus it sticks with JR's master plan - have as little money as possible committed to the 2007 season when the next CBA starts...

:reinsy
"Sal-Ary-Cap"

mweflen
12-09-2004, 11:34 AM
It almost seems like KW is counting on Dye to be injured for a third of the year. Look at his two options now in RF - Dye and Everett.

Dye's games played by year:
2004 - 137
2003 - 65
2002 - 131
2001 - 156
2000 - 157

Everett's:
2004 - 82
2003 - 147
2002 - 105
2001 - 102
2000 - 137

A pretty risky platoon to have. What happens when both are injured for the same 30-50 games? Oh wait, we already know the answer to that:

:LTP "Just one more 'extended look' is all I need. Seasoning. Yeah."

Lip Man 1
12-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Considering the alternative was Borchard, I have no problem with this deal.

Lip

nasox
12-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Plus it sticks with JR's master plan - have as little money as possible committed to the 2007 season when the next CBA starts...

:reinsy
"Sal-Ary-Cap"
Well, at least JR sticks to his plans, however crappy they may be. Same for KW: He sticks to his guns, even though his weapons are really crappy trades that bite us in the ass. Supoib!

JKryl
12-09-2004, 11:43 AM
I stand corrected. The fish is fresh, and Dye is a Sox. If he stays healthy, it's a great move on KW's part.

Frater Perdurabo
12-09-2004, 11:49 AM
This reminds me of the Ellis Burks signing many years ago. Burks was coming off an injury but then played very well for the Sox and left as a free agent one or two years later. Last time I checked, Burks just retired after a long and productive career. This could be a good move that turns out to be even better if KW makes a few more smart deals (Vasquez) or free agent signings (Clement, Pavano).

bobj4400
12-09-2004, 11:51 AM
No, KW said yesterday or two days ago he thinks Borchard needs "another year of seasoning" in the minors.

Whatever. As long as he doesn't sniff the Clubhouse at Comiskey.
Another year of seasoning? The kid is gonna be 26 when the season starts! He is a bust and KW is the only person on Earth that hasnt come to that conclusion yet.

anewman35
12-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Another year of seasoning? The kid is gonna be 26 when the season starts! He is a bust and KW is the only person on Earth that hasnt come to that conclusion yet.
I'm sure KW realizes that as much as anybody. What is he supposed to say? Do you want him admitting one of our players is horrible?

kittle42
12-09-2004, 12:01 PM
The only seasoning Borchard could get that could help the Sox would be a shaker of Lawry's Seasoning Salt at a zombie buffet.

Rocklive99
12-09-2004, 12:05 PM
I was so happy when I saw this on ESPNEWS

Now we have both Mark Buerhle and the guy who owns Mark Buerhle on the same team ;)

santo=dorf
12-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Hopefully it will be on the Diamondbacks'. :)

bobj4400
12-09-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm sure KW realizes that as much as anybody. What is he supposed to say? Do you want him admitting one of our players is horrible?
I wanted him to trade the guy last year when he still had some value. Now he might as well admit he is horrible b/c the rest of the league knows this.

Wealz
12-09-2004, 12:23 PM
So many people on this board despised Jose Valentin @ $5M, that I'm surprised at the positive reaction to Dye @ $4.5M. Like Valentin, Dye K's a lot and doesn't get on base. Unlike Valentin, Dye doesn't bat left-handed and doesn't play a premier defensive position.

That said, I'm okay with the move IF it allows them to get a guy like Polanco.

mweflen
12-09-2004, 12:28 PM
So many people on this board despised Jose Valentin @ $5M, that I'm surprised at the positive reaction to Dye @ $4.5M. Like Valentin, Dye K's a lot and doesn't get on base. Unlike Valentin, Dye doesn't bat left-handed and doesn't play a premier defensive position.

Dye's 2004 OBP was .329, Jose's .287. His average was also 50 points higher and he had 10 more RBI. I don't think there is any contest between the two offensively. At US Cellular Launchpad, Dye will probably match Jose's 30 dingers. Dye did K a lot last year. Hopefully he cuts down - in his two best seasons he was around 100 K.

JB98
12-09-2004, 12:34 PM
2003 Marlins:

1B: Derek Lee
3B: Mike Lowell
LF: Jeff Conine
RF: Juan Encarnacion
3B-OF: Miguel Cabrera

All right-handed, and they won.

Mickster
12-09-2004, 12:35 PM

That said, I'm okay with the move IF it allows them to get a guy like Polanco.Dye 2004: 532 AB, 141 H, 23 HR, 80 RBI, .265 AVG, .329 OBP

Valentin '04: 450 AB, 97 H, 30 HR, 70 RBI, .216 AVG, .287 OBP

Let's also not forget that Dye plays his home games outside of the Cell. I'll grant you that SS is certainly not the same as RF but I feel Uribe is at least as good if not better defensiely than Jose.

fan_since_64
12-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Ooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooo - Jermaineeeeeeooo!

Rudy Law
12-09-2004, 12:42 PM

They Didn't offer him abitration because he was making $14m......he is not a $14m player.....but he is better than Joe Bochard...and if he is healthy can give you .275 25 90 .....which all we need....I know it os hard to give the Sox credit for anything and you much rather bitch...otherwise your not happy.....this moves Crazy Carl to be a bt off the bench that we need.........Now we just need to get a SP.....Clement or maybe even Milton

santo=dorf
12-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Dye 2004: 532 AB, 141 H, 23 HR, 80 RBI, .265 AVG, .329 OBP

Valentin '04: 450 AB, 97 H, 30 HR, 70 RBI, .216 AVG, .287 OBP

Let's also not forget that Dye plays his home games outside of the Cell. I'll grant you that SS is certainly not the same as RF but I feel Uribe is at least as good if not better defensiely than Jose.
And Dye also won a gold glove, but why should Wealz let the facts get in the way of a rant? :rolleyes:

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 12:45 PM
They Didn't offer him abitration because he was making $14m......he is not a $14m player.....but he is better than Joe Bochard...and if he is healthy can give you .275 25 90 .....which all we need....I know it os hard to give the Sox credit for anything and you much rather bitch...otherwise your not happy.....this moves Crazy Carl to be a bt off the bench that we need.........Now we just need to get a SP.....Clement or maybe even MiltonCarl will be our DH if Frank can't get healthy in time for opening day.

fan_since_64
12-09-2004, 12:50 PM
from the MLB website it appears that Jermain spreads his hits to all fields. even though he is 'another righty', that should help. however he hit well against Sox and not so good against Cleve and Minn...

Anyone notice that Borchard was cut in Mexico? Egads is this the end for him? Does anyone care?

fan_since_64
12-09-2004, 12:54 PM
i would rather pay 9m to a guy with a sore thumb than 70m to a guy with a knee injury... hopefully all this money saved will be well spent - another starting pitcher for example!

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 12:55 PM
White Sox | Dye Signs - from www.KFFL.com (http://www.kffl.com/)
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 09:02:34 -0800

The Chicago Tribune reports the Chicago White Sox signed OF Jermaine Dye (Athletics) to a two-year, $10.15 million contract with an option for 2007. Under terms of the deal, Dye will be paid $4 million in 2005 and $5 million in 2006 with the club holding an option for 2007 at $6 million (with a buyout of $1.15 million)......

Realist
12-09-2004, 01:12 PM
:tomatoaward
:?:

SOXSINCE'70
12-09-2004, 01:14 PM
Everett in left field???:o: :o:
I believe C Lee will be in left.By the way things have gone with
Frank's foot,Everett will be the DH.At least I hope so.:wink: :wink:

batmanZoSo
12-09-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm pretty confident it's the former (i.e., Thomas won't be ready to start the season, so Everett DH's and Dye is in RF). The signing reminds me of the Sox musicial chairs of coming-off-injury RFs in the early 90's (Tartabull, Burks, etc.). I think it's a good pick-up for that price.

So as of right now, assuming Frank is injured, the opening day line-up is:

Rowand CF
Harris 2B
Lee LF
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Everett DH
Uribe SS
Crede 3B
Davis C

Not too bad. They still could really, really use a high OBP guy at 2B, SS, 3B or C to lead-off.
This will be a great pickup. He'll get the ol' Herm treatment.

Dolanski
12-09-2004, 01:22 PM
I believe C Lee will be in left.By the way things have gone with
Frank's foot,Everett will be the DH.At least I hope so.:wink: :wink:
Please someone tell my why everyone here is in love Carl Everett??? He sucked last year. He was lazy and overweight. Ozzie called him out at the end of the year and said he would have to pick it up to be on his team. Great thing to hear about a veteran presence in the clubhouse. I think the Sox only have him because HE exercised his option, not because they wanted him. He is fine for a fill in for Frank, but he can't hit lefties, is often injured, and can (hasn't with the Sox) have a bad attitude. Please explain to me someone why this guy is so popular around here???

Palehose13
12-09-2004, 01:23 PM
I like this. I've always liked Dye and how he broke his leg was brutal. I think he is going to put up great numbers at the US Cellular Launch Pad.

Welcome aboard, Jermaine!

Outfield...done.

Now let's work on that starting rotation, Kenny!

sidenote: Now I think KW's reaction was really funny yesterday when Boers asked if he was going to come on with them after they sign Jermaine Dye. :D:

Palehose13
12-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Please someone tell my why everyone here is in love Carl Everett??? He sucked last year. He was lazy and overweight. Ozzie called him out at the end of the year and said he would have to pick it up to be on his team. Great thing to hear about a veteran presence in the clubhouse. I think the Sox only have him because HE exercised his option, not because they wanted him. He is fine for a fill in for Frank, but he can't hit lefties, is often injured, and can (hasn't with the Sox) have a bad attitude. Please explain to me someone why this guy is so popular around here???
I am not in love with him, but in like. I think he's a competitor and I like that.

Rocklive99
12-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Hmm, interesting, on the Score update they said Dye turned down numerous offers that were worth more money, including the Rangers, because he wanted to come here. I guess he thinks we have the best chance to win

Was he awake whenever we played at Oakland?

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Hmm, interesting, on the Score update they said Dye turned down numerous offers that were worth more money, including the Rangers, because he wanted to come here. I guess he thinks we have the best chance to win

Was he awake whenever we played at Oakland?Awake? He hit .478 against the Sox last year.

jabrch
12-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Please someone tell my why everyone here is in love Carl Everett???....Please explain to me someone why this guy is so popular around here???
What leads you to that conclusion? I don't see anyone who loves Carl.

rdivaldi
12-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Please someone tell my why everyone here is in love Carl Everett???
Year Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
2003 CHA 73 256 40 77 14 0 10 41 22 36 4 3 .301 .377 .473 .850

That might have something to do with it.....

Foulke You
12-09-2004, 01:45 PM

Agreed. Some people have such short term memories. Everett has always been a very productive hitter in his career. I wonder if Everett becomes trade bait the moment Thomas proves he is healthy?

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 01:45 PM

That might have something to do with it.....Yes, Carl was great when we first traded for him in 2003.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Agreed. Some people have such short term memories. Everett has always been a very productive hitter in his career. I wonder if Everett becomes trade bait the moment Thomas proves he is healthy?More than likely. Especially if he has a great first half since he is in his final year with us and is only making $4 million. He is a great trade target for contending teams after the All Star break -- cheap, switch hitter with power.

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 01:46 PM

That might have something to do with it.....Not to mention he's a switch hitter to break up the string of righties (now longer with Dye) in the lineup.

Frater Perdurabo
12-09-2004, 01:49 PM

2003 was his contract year. He started off with the Rangers and played so well in April and May that he made the All-Star team. He was mediocre in 2002 (and 2004).

If 2005 is the last year of Everett's contract and he's healthy, expect decent numbers. If not, he'll probably suck.

If Konerko is traded and Carl is healthy, he can DH against RHP while Frank plays 1B at home against RHP and when healthy. Everett should ride the pine against LHP.

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 01:50 PM
If Konerko is traded and Carl is healthy, he can DH against RHP while Frank plays 1B at home against RHP and when healthy. Everett should ride the pine against LHP.
Frank

Can

Not

Play

First

Unless you want him back on the DL within a month.

chisoxmike
12-09-2004, 01:52 PM
I like this move, if we can get a starting pitcher without having to move Lee or Konerko I think we will be in great shape.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 01:57 PM

Was he awake whenever we played at Oakland?I bet Dye wants to jack up his power numbers in our launching pad which is definately fine by me. We will have him locked up for 3 years if he does with the 3rd year club option.

hose
12-09-2004, 02:01 PM

Was he awake whenever we played at Oakland?

"No free agents would ever want to play for the White Sox."
:moron

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 02:01 PM
More than likely. Especially if he has a great first half since he is in his final year with us and is only making $4 million. He is a great trade target for contending teams after the All Star break -- cheap, switch hitter with power.Not necessarily. It depends on where they are at the time. If they're in 1st and on a roll, it would make more sense to keep him as a pinch-hitter and part-time OF and to spell Thomas once in a while. By then they will have paid half his salary out, so the cost isn't much. Besides, I don't think I'll EVER AGAIN be comfortable with Thomas' health.

Chrisaway
12-09-2004, 02:02 PM
It's on whitesox.com. It's about time one of the rumors came true. Now lets go get Clement or Perez and I might just be a bit more optimistic.

stillz
12-09-2004, 02:13 PM
I commend KW if this is true on filling the RF hole with a competent replacement. Thomas, Rowand, Lee, Konerko and Dye should form a great power core if they are all there next year and healthy.Agreed.. solid player at a nice price. If Crede turns the corner and Everett comes through strong, this is an enviable line-up.

Maybe Dye can help change Sox fortunes at the Net.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Wow, Jermaine Dye has some respect. If you listen to the "Ken Williams conference call" at WhiteSox.com, you will hear KW say that while Dye was taking a physical and had a verbal agreement with the Sox without signing a contract, 2 other teams offered him significantly more money for 2-year deals than the Sox. Dye honored his "handshake deal" with KW and the Sox for significantly less money. :thumbsup:

Justafan
12-09-2004, 02:25 PM
I just checked Dye's splits over the last three years and I actually was stunned that he has hit only .243 over that span with a very weak .318 OBP and a .425 slugging%.:o:

Ok, I should relax.

santo=dorf
12-09-2004, 02:35 PM
I just checked Dye's splits over the last three years and I actually was stunned that he has hit only .243 over that span with a very weak .318 OBP and a .425 slugging%.:o:

Ok, I should relax.
:hawk
"Don't tell me how much you hit, tell me when you hit."

Dice
12-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Nothing to write home about BUT I'd rather see Dye out in RF than platooning Borchard and Gload.

Soxzilla
12-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Fantastic move by KW. I can definitely dig this deal!

Now go grab us Hudson Kenny!

:hawk
"Mercy!"

nitetrain8601
12-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Really nice move. Now let's get a SP.

Jjav829
12-09-2004, 03:16 PM
I'm waiting for the *official* santo=dorf rendition of Jermaine Dye with a Sox cap. My profile is waiting.... :D:

SomebodyToldMe
12-09-2004, 03:17 PM
I must say, I like this move. I was a good fan of Dye when he was on the Royals, and I think, if healthy, he can tear stuff up. Now it's time to put the rookie card I have of him in his Braves uni up on my computer desk.

santo=dorf
12-09-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm waiting for the *official* santo=dorf rendition of Jermaine Dye with a Sox cap. My profile is waiting.... :D:LOL!

Every guy I made a picture for is a jinx.

I had an Omar one, but never posted it after I saw SF was stealing him. I made Beltran, Wright and Johnson mugshots, but none of them were coming here. :whiner: That is why I decided to hold off on making a Vazquez or Odalis Perez Sox mugshot. :cool:

nitetrain8601
12-09-2004, 03:40 PM
LOL!

Every guy I made a picture for is a jinx.

I had an Omar one, but never posted it after I saw SF was stealing him. I made Beltran, Wright and Johnson mugshots, but none of them were coming here. :whiner: That is why I decided to hold off on making a Vazquez or Odalis Perez Sox mugshot. :cool:
But you could put a Dye one because it's official. He's here.

Jerome
12-09-2004, 03:43 PM
This is the kind of move that the sox need to make. We can't really afford the top level free agents, so we get a guy who we know the potential is there but injuries have gotten in the way.

Dye could have an Esteban Loazia-like affect on this offense. (hopefully).

Plus, it means less ABs for Timo Perez and Joe Borchard.

Jerome
12-09-2004, 03:49 PM

Because Jose is a offensive black hole. Dye was is not Valentin bad.

santo=dorf
12-09-2004, 04:08 PM
But you could put a Dye one because it's official. He's here.Are we sure it's official? Texas didn't offer a guaranteed third year?

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/DYEA.jpg

This is just a rushed version. I had a hard time trying to get the Sox logo to fit on his cap. :mad:

SomebodyToldMe
12-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Are we sure it's official? Texas didn't offer a guaranteed third year?

This is just a rushed version. I had a hard time trying to get the Sox logo to fit on his cap. :mad:
Nice, dude. Nice indeed.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Are we sure it's official? Texas didn't offer a guaranteed third year?Yes, it's official...

"White Sox sign Jermaine Dye
Outfielder signs two-year deal with Chicago"
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041209&content_id=920072&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

nasox
12-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Allright. Somebody is gonna eventually start a FOJD club, who is it going to be?

:rolleyes:

nitetrain8601
12-09-2004, 04:44 PM

Fantastic.

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 04:52 PM

This is just a rushed version. I had a hard time trying to get the Sox logo to fit on his cap. :mad:Nice. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you can start working on one with Javy Vazquez. This deal makes too much sense not to happen.

I want Mags back
12-09-2004, 08:53 PM
K DUB (KW) SAID THE TEAMS MAIN PRIORITY WOULD BE TO FIND A GOOD REPLACEMENT FOR MAGS. HE NAILED IT ON THIS ONE. MAYBE OUR FRONT OFFICE DOES KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. WHO AM I'D KIDDING. BUT STILL A GOOD DEAL, AND HE'S ALOT CHEAPER THAN MAGGLIO. THAT MAKES MORE MONEY FOR PITCHING:cool:

lths06
12-09-2004, 08:57 PM
K DUB (KW) SAID THE TEAMS MAIN PRIORITY WOULD BE TO FIND A GOOD REPLACEMENT FOR MAGS. HE NAILED IT ON THIS ONE. MAYBE OUR FRONT OFFICE DOES KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. WHO AM I'D KIDDING. BUT STILL A GOOD DEAL, AND HE'S ALOT CHEAPER THAN MAGGLIO. THAT MAKES MORE MONEY FOR PITCHING:cool:
If you have trouble reading the screen, you can use a red light in your room to help preserve your vision. That's waht they do on nuclear submarines. Or you could just make the font smaller...

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 09:24 PM
If you have trouble reading the screen, you can use a red light in your room to help preserve your vision. That's waht they do on nuclear submarines. Or you could just make the font smaller...:) :) :)

Handicaporowski
12-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Long time reader, first time replier.

Although this is one of KW's best moves, Reinsdorf's pocketbook, or lack thereof, could limit this to a one year deal. If Dye has a good or great year, KW will be forced to trade Dye next year because of the old "we can't afford to resign him" crap. This has happened too many times under Reinsdorf. If Dye has a bad or mediocre year, he will have limited or no trade value and we'll be stuck with him. I don't think that he will have a bad year. In fact, I'd bet that his numbers, next year, will be better than the numbers that Mags will put up. If he does, he's one and done...unless we make it to the ALCS.

Daver
12-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Long time reader, first time replier.

Although this is one of KW's best moves, Reinsdorf's pocketbook, or lack thereof, could limit this to a one year deal. If Dye has a good or great year, KW will be forced to trade Dye next year because of the old "we can't afford to resign him" crap. This has happened too many times under Reinsdorf. If Dye has a bad or mediocre year, he will have limited or no trade value and we'll be stuck with him. I don't think that he will have a bad year. In fact, I'd bet that his numbers, next year, will be better than the numbers that Mags will put up. If he does, he's one and done...unless we make it to the ALCS.
Welcome aboard! :redneck

Dye signed a two year deal with an optional third year.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Nice. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you can start working on one with Javy Vazquez. This deal makes too much sense not to happen.Here he is...

Javier Vazquez
http://img72.exs.cx/img72/8103/javiervazquez7zy.jpg (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=134320)

Dye signed a two year deal with an optional third year.Yep, and the third year is a club option for $6 million meaning it's up to the White Sox if they want to keep Dye or not. Dye gets a guaranteed $10.15 million for 2 years regardless.

Handicaporowski
12-09-2004, 10:11 PM

Dye signed a two year deal with an optional third year.

Missed that detail. Thanks. Hopefully more FAs won't be afraid to sign with the Sox.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Missed that detail. Thanks. Hopefully more FAs won't be afraid to sign with the Sox.Yeah and hopefully they will be more like Dye and actually take less money to sign here because they want to play for the White Sox. :thumbsup:

Handicaporowski
12-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Yeah and hopefully they will be more like Dye and actually take less money to sign here because they want to play for the White Sox. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I think we'll need a new owner or a very successful year of Ozzieball before players are lining up to do that.

Lip Man 1
12-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Frater:

Ellis played only the 93 season with the Sox. He signed with Colorado for 94 because they guaranteed a multi year contract and because his wife said the Denver schools were much better then Chicago's. I never totally understood that logic. Ellis made enough to send his kids to the finest private schools in ANY city.

Lip

Bisco Stu
12-09-2004, 11:51 PM
How many more lamewad Bay Area rejects is KW gonna sign?

The Sox are finishing in 4th next year.

batmanZoSo
12-09-2004, 11:54 PM
Agreed.. solid player at a nice price. If Crede turns the corner and Everett comes through strong, this is an enviable line-up.

Maybe Dye can help change Sox fortunes at the Net.
No chance of that happening. It's so engrained in the players heads, only a miracle can really put an end to it...like some kind of great comeback that just changes their whole attitude. It also wouldn't hurt if we had better pitching.

Stumblinfool
12-10-2004, 02:57 AM
I was just looking on the A's website to see how they felt about the signing. The A's fans all belived it was a good move by the Sox and wished Dye the best of luck, which make me belive not only does the guy have some potential, but he is a good guy in genral. Also they were talking about a trade between the two teams for Lee for Mulder straight up

Whitesox029
12-10-2004, 09:21 PM
I was just looking on the A's website to see how they felt about the signing. The A's fans all belived it was a good move by the Sox and wished Dye the best of luck, which make me belive not only does the guy have some potential, but he is a good guy in genral. Also they were talking about a trade between the two teams for Lee for Mulder straight upLee for Mulder?....It's intriguing and I would probably take it, but it does leave us an outfielder short. It's a crying shame that Ross Gload can't play outfield.

Jabroni
12-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Lee for Mulder?....It's intriguing and I would probably take it, but it does leave us an outfielder short. It's a crying shame that Ross Gload can't play outfield.Agreed. But Everett in LF, Rowand in CF, Dye in RF, and Gload at DH (until Frank is healthy) wouldn't be horrible. It wouldn't exactly be great either though. :?: But for Hudson, I think it would be worth it.

lths06
12-10-2004, 09:26 PM
I was just looking on the A's website to see how they felt about the signing. The A's fans all belived it was a good move by the Sox and wished Dye the best of luck, which make me belive not only does the guy have some potential, but he is a good guy in genral. Also they were talking about a trade between the two teams for Lee for Mulder straight upOakland has dominated us for a while now. I guess if you can't beat them...sign them:) :) :)

tadscout
12-10-2004, 09:41 PM
I was just looking on the A's website to see how they felt about the signing. The A's fans all belived it was a good move by the Sox and wished Dye the best of luck, which make me belive not only does the guy have some potential, but he is a good guy in genral. Also they were talking about a trade between the two teams for Lee for Mulder straight up
Glad to hear we're not the only one's thinking about it... you have the link, that would be interesting to see.:cool:

Soxzilla
12-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Hey if Jerry throws in a few million on top of the promised 75 million dollar payroll, we could nab Carlos Beltran!:bandance: