PDA

View Full Version : Padres make a few signings

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 07:27 PM
The Padres snagged a few players of note. They signed Woody Williams to a 1-year deal with an option for 2006. Rotoworld says the deal only guarantees Woody $3.5 million but he could make up to $14.5 million. I think that's a good signing for them. He should have a fine year pitching at Petco.

The other signing was Geoff Blum who will be their utility man. Nothing big here, but he could be decent.

Cross another starting pitcher off. In the span of the past 24 hours we've seen Jaret Wright, Brad Radke, Jon Lieber, Al Leiter, Woody Williams, and Matt Morris removed from the free agent market. It sounds like Eric Milton and David Wells will be gone soon. It's just a matter of when. Matt Clement doesn't sound too far off. I think Pavano will get done this weekend. Pedro can't be too far off. The dominoes are definitely falling. The only question is whether the Sox are going to get in the game.

munchman33
12-08-2004, 07:33 PM
Pavano and Pedro are going to wait until the big dogs are ready to really up the ante. I don't expect either will be signed in the next two weeks.

Unfortunately, I expect Clement to wind up in Cleveland tomorrow. :(:

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Pavano and Pedro are going to wait until the big dogs are ready to really up the ante. I don't expect either will be signed in the next two weeks.

Unfortunately, I expect Clement to wind up in Cleveland tomorrow. :(:
It's possible. Pavano seems to want to take his time. I just think Shapiro might try to pull a Boras with Pavano and wrap the deal up at the winter meetings. I do agree with you that Clement will sign soon, possibly tomorrow.

munchman33
12-08-2004, 08:00 PM
I do agree with you that Clement will sign soon, possibly tomorrow.
You never know, maybe with us.

With the way things stand now and my understanding of the payroll situation with our team, if Kenny winds up with just Clement and Hermanson from this offseason, I'd be extremely pleased. If we lose out on Clement, I won't really care. But if he signs with Cleveland, which all signs point to, I think the Twins and White Sox will be in a dogfight next year - for second place.

Soxzilla
12-08-2004, 08:07 PM
You never know, maybe with us.

With the way things stand now and my understanding of the payroll situation with our team, if Kenny winds up with just Clement and Hermanson from this offseason, I'd be extremely pleased. If we lose out on Clement, I won't really care. But if he signs with Cleveland, which all signs point to, I think the Royals and White Sox will be in a dogfight next year - for fourth place.
We aren't even good enough to lick the twins boots right now, *****. Sure the Tigers starting rotation looks like dog **** right now, but with the talent they have on offense, they can just slug the crap out of teams and finish mediocre ... which may be a step up from this White Sox club if Frank isn't healthy.

MRKARNO
12-08-2004, 08:12 PM
The thing about Cleveland is that they've supposedly been in the race for a lot of FAs or they were close to signing so and so, but they havent done anything major so far. I'll believe who they're signing when I see it on the AP wire and no sooner.

munchman33
12-08-2004, 08:13 PM
We aren't even good enough to lick the twins boots right now, *****. Sure the Tigers starting rotation looks like dog **** right now, but with the talent they have on offense, they can just slug the crap out of teams and finish mediocre ... which may be a step up from this White Sox club if Frank isn't healthy.
LOL, if Lip were here, he'd probably say somehthing to the degree of "I wish I shared your pessimism." :rolling:

Seriously, I don't think we're that bad. Especially if we get a fifth starter (I know, the last few years are telling me "BIG IF") And I have serious doubts about the Twins, regardless of recent success. But the Indians are loaded on offense. More so than the Tigers. They're really close to being a very solid team. I can't say that about the Tigers. They have way too much dead weight on that team.

Soxzilla
12-08-2004, 08:25 PM
LOL, if Lip were here, he'd probably say somehthing to the degree of "I wish I shared your pessimism." :rolling:

Seriously, I don't think we're that bad. Especially if we get a fifth starter (I know, the last few years are telling me "BIG IF") And I have serious doubts about the Twins, regardless of recent success. But the Indians are loaded on offense. More so than the Tigers. They're really close to being a very solid team. I can't say that about the Tigers. They have way too much dead weight on that team.
Honestly, like you said with the 'BIG IF', what are the chances we sign a big pitcher to fill that 5th starter hole? I mean, from what KW had said, "Hermanson may be needed to spot start in July" ... isn't that any indication we aren't expecting to nab another decent arm for the rotation. I hate this crap. I'm tired of not making moves ... and then making crappy moves to make up for the fact we don't make any good moves, ugh!

As it stands right now, I see the division shaking down like this...

Minnesota -18 games over
Indians - 15 games over
Tigers - 2 games over
White Sox - 3 games under
Royals - 25 games under

BTW, if you're wondering, I did in fact pull those numbers out of my ass.:redface:

munchman33
12-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Honestly, like you said with the 'BIG IF', what are the chances we sign a big pitcher to fill that 5th starter hole? I mean, from what KW had said, "Hermanson may be needed to spot start in July" ... isn't that any indication we aren't expecting to nab another decent arm for the rotation. I hate this crap. I'm tired of not making moves ... and then making crappy moves to make up for the fact we don't make any good moves, ugh!

Minnesota -18 games over
Indians - 15 games over
Tigers - 2 games over
Royals - 25 games under

BTW, if you're wondering, I did in fact pull those numbers out of my ass.:redface:
Well, we're just going to have to disagree. I tend to do that a lot with the guys around here. But I'm unapologetically a Sox fan, so I'm just gonna go ahead and say we win the division by more than twenty games. :D:

Soxzilla
12-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Well, we're just going to have to disagree. I tend to do that a lot with the guys around here. But I'm unapologetically a Sox fan, so I'm just gonna go ahead and say we win the division by more than twenty games. :D:
:D: Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love that. But that is about as likely as us signing another top tier pitcher.:rolleyes:

DSpivack
12-09-2004, 02:54 AM

Minnesota -18 games over
Indians - 15 games over
Tigers - 2 games over
Royals - 25 games under

I think they'll fight each other for first, but no way the Twinkies or Indians are that good. Pulling out of my ass, I say:

Minny: 85-77
Cleve: 84-78
WS: 80-82
Det: 75-87
KC: 60-102

munchman33
12-09-2004, 06:32 AM
:D: Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love that. But that is about as likely as us signing another top tier pitcher.:rolleyes:
The two are probably related.