PDA

View Full Version : Todd Walker slams the Sox.

Justafan
12-08-2004, 06:17 PM
He is on MJH right now and he said the Sox made an offer and it was a fair one. He said he is a fan of the organization but he said this,"There was no way I was going to Cubs to the White Sox".

If that does not tell you that the best players do not want to come here I don't know what else to say. RJ was a word of mouth thing, Walker kinda took a dig at them IMO.

To those of you who said the Sox tried to get Walker when I ripped them for not going after him, my apologies.

Mickster
12-08-2004, 06:21 PM
If that does not tell you that the best players do not want to come here I don't know what else to say.
Walker = "the best players" ????? :?:

Not many of baseball's "best players" sign 1 year contracts worth $2.5M.

ewokpelts
12-08-2004, 06:22 PM
He is on MJH right now and he said the Sox made an offer and it was a fair one. He said he is a fan of the organization but he said this,"There was no way I was going to Cubs to the White Sox".

If that does not tell you that the best players do not want to come here I don't know what else to say. RJ was a word of mouth thing, Walker kinda took a dig at them IMO.

To those of you who said the Sox tried to get Walker when I ripped them for not going after him, my apologies.i think he was referring mor to cubs/sox rivalries than anything...
Gene

Jabroni
12-08-2004, 06:24 PM
i think he was referring mor to cubs/sox rivalries than anything...
GeneExactly, I think Walker's point is that he doesn't want half of Chicago hating his guts.

DURRR, Justafan, DURRR!!!

Tragg
12-08-2004, 06:25 PM
I agree with both responses

I think it's more of the rivalry thing, not a slam; and Walker is hardly one of the best players

Justafan
12-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Walker = "the best players" ????? :?:

Not many of baseball's "best players" sign 1 year contracts worth $2.5M.
Let me say that again. I don't think Walker is a great player, he is a good one. My point is that this appears to be a growing trend among F/A or players in general who do not to want to come here.

RJ
Pavanno
Wright
Vizquel
Walker

It could be that the Sox are not being aggressive enough as well. But the tone I got from Walker was more of a uncalled for slap in the face.

Justafan
12-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Ok, I could live with the Cubs/Sox thing. Maybe I just took his comments wrong.

FightingBillini
12-08-2004, 06:29 PM
We have to remember that he was already signed with the Losers. What do you want him to say? I think this might be more humoring Cub fans than anything else, like he is saying "The Cubs are the greatest team ever, how could I play for the other Chicago team, I didnt even know they existed. We never played at US Cellular when I was with the Red Sox. 2005 will be the Red Sox' first visit to Chicago since 1918."

oldcomiskey
12-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Let me say that again. I don't think Walker is a great player, he is a good one. My point is that this appears to be a growing trend among F/A or players in general who do not to want to come here.

RJ
Pavanno
Wright
Vizquel
Walker

It could be that the Sox are not being aggressive enough as well. But the tone I got from Walker was more of a uncalled for slap in the face.
First of all the reason visquel didnt come here was because SF gave him another guarenteed year and second , what Wright are you referring to

fquaye149
12-08-2004, 06:31 PM

RJ
Pavanno
Wright
Vizquel
Walker

It could be that the Sox are not being aggressive enough as well. But the tone I got from Walker was more of a uncalled for slap in the face. not WANTING to come here?

are you kidding me. RJ is the only one who said he didn't WANT to come here.

Vizquel was offerered an extra year on his contract by SF, something we refused to match because of his age.

Pavano has specific locations he wants to pitch, and we don't happen to be one of them. You might as well say he doesn't WANT to go the Angels or the Marlins, etc.

oh and Wright? He didn't sign here because we WEREN'T GOING TO PAY HIM 7 MILLION A YEAR....and we SHOULDN'T.

It's not like they said: Oh, Sox, pooh pooh. I'll take less money to go someplace else as long as it's not thoooose White Sox.

hold2dibber
12-08-2004, 06:32 PM

RJ
Pavanno
Wright
Vizquel
Walker

Did Pavano say he didn't want to come here? Vizquel clearly was interested in coming here, but he got a better offer from S.F., no? Same goes for Wright. I'm sure if the Sox offered Wright 3 years for $24 million (beating the Yankees offer) he would have signed on the dotted line. Assuming Walker got a similar offer from the Sox and the Cubs, it's no slap in the face to the Sox that he chose to stay with the team he is already familiar with, that (sadly) has a better core, and that has a bigger fan base.

The "trend" is that the Sox are being out-bid, not that players don't want to come here. In the end, I suppose it's a distinction without a difference, since (so far), the Sox aren't getting the players they want.

Justafan
12-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Did Pavano say he didn't want to come here? Vizquel clearly was interested in coming here, but he got a better offer from S.F., no? Same goes for Wright. I'm sure if the Sox offered Wright 3 years for $24 million (beating the Yankees offer) he would have signed on the dotted line. Assuming Walker got a similar offer from the Sox and the Cubs, it's no slap in the face to the Sox that he chose to stay with the team he is already familiar with, that (sadly) has a better core, and that has a bigger fan base.

The "trend" is that the Sox are being out-bid, not that players don't want to come here. In the end, I suppose it's a distinction without a difference, since (so far), the Sox aren't getting the players they want.
I should and did say maybe the Sox are not being aggressive enough. I'll take back the not want to come here comment, save RJ.

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 06:47 PM
We have to remember that he was already signed with the Losers. What do you want him to say? I think this might be more humoring Cub fans than anything else, like he is saying "The Cubs are the greatest team ever, how could I play for the other Chicago team, I didnt even know they existed. We never played at US Cellular when I was with the Red Sox. 2005 will be the Red Sox' first visit to Chicago since 1918."
I agree. I think he's just pandering to the Flubs fans. Just like if we sign Matt Clement, we're not going to want to hear him say, "I really wish I could have stayed with the Cubs. I loved playing there and it's a shame that I have to play for the Sox now." Now Clement might not slam the Cubs, but we'd hope that he would say something more along the lines of, "I enjoyed my time with the Cubs, but I'm ready to move on. The White Sox have assembled a great club here and I hope to help the Sox win a World Series," etc.

It might be a little unnecessary, but Walker seems to like to throw little cheap shots. In the Trib article on the Walker/Nomar re-signings, Walker had to take a shot at Stone and Caray, neither of whom are with the Cubs organization anymore.

dpbyron
12-08-2004, 07:04 PM
i think he was referring mor to cubs/sox rivalries than anything...
GeneI strongly disagree. I heard the comments and reading between the lines I think he was clearly saying, "Yeah, the sox made a decent offer, but how could I possibly go from the cute, lovable Cubbies to the loser White Sox? I didn't even consider it."

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

munchman33
12-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Justafan, why does every post you start have to be anti-White Sox and pro-Cubs?

:threadsucks

Screw Walker. I don't want his slow, no range ass on this team. Todd Walker is nothing but a poor man's DH. I'm glad he resigned with the Flubs, as his defense and attitude will contribute to next year's Flubmarine depth sinkage.

SEALgep
12-08-2004, 08:43 PM
I think it's important to note that Walker is probably the worst DP turner in baseball. Texas tried to sign him as a DH, and there is a reason for it. The guy can flat out hit, but the guy can't turn a DP to save his life. Even Cub's fans were discussing that they'll need a defensive minded SS if Walker is the second baseman. I don't think Nomar is it, even though he's solid defensively. We'll see, but I see Perez getting more playing time than anticipated.

mealfred13
12-08-2004, 08:48 PM
That's a major mis-quote.....*sigh*

Walker said something more along the lines of - and I'm paraphrasing - "The Sox made a competitive offer, but we didn't really speak with them much more after the initial offer. I also didn't think it would be easy going from one side of town to the other..." Then he kinda trailed off. He said/implied nothing negative about the Sox.

In addition, which was just a little trivia tid-bit, Walker is apparently Chad Hutchinson's brother-in-law and was excited about his performance last sunday.

SEALgep
12-08-2004, 09:20 PM
That's a major mis-quote.....*sigh*

Walker said something more along the lines of - and I'm paraphrasing - "The Sox made a competitive offer, but we didn't really speak with them much more after the initial offer. I also didn't think it would be easy going from one side of town to the other..." Then he kinda trailed off. He said/implied nothing negative about the Sox.

In addition, which was just a little trivia tid-bit, Walker is apparently Chad Hutchinson's brother-in-law and was excited about his performance last sunday.I guess I half like him then. On his sister's side.:D:

southsider17
12-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Ok, I could live with the Cubs/Sox thing. Maybe I just took his comments wrong.
If you actually listened to the whole interview, you'd have noticed he also said (paraphrasing), "That's a great organization and I have alot of respect for what they've done but", and here's where the quote in question comes in, "I couldn't go to the Sox from the cubs." And he was saying that to MacNeil who asked the question and is a well known Sox fan. Doesn't sound like he was dissing the Sox. He was respectful but acknowledged the difficulty of crossing lines in a rivalry. It may be BS but he wasn't slammin' the Sox.

Some of you are paranoid. A better topic is why did they bump KW on the MJH show in favor of the Jacksonville Jags coach, what's-his-name.

kittle42
12-08-2004, 11:17 PM
If you actually listened to the whole interview, you'd have noticed he also said (paraphrasing), "That's a great organization and I have alot of respect for what they've done but", and here's where the quote in question comes in, "I couldn't go to the Sox from the cubs." And he was saying that to MacNeil who asked the question and is a well known Sox fan. Doesn't sound like he was dissing the Sox. He was respectful but acknowledged the difficulty of crossing lines in a rivalry. It may be BS but he wasn't slammin' the Sox.

Some of you are paranoid.
I've been saying these types of things a lot lately, [Now I hate the Cubs as much as the next guy, but....] I agree - some people here look for absolutely any reason to drag the Cubs' popularity into any discussion - I am pretty certain you would not see as high a proportion of that team's idiot fans doing the same re: us.

FarWestChicago
12-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Justafan, why does every post you start have to be anti-White Sox and pro-Cubs?You should ask Lip the same thing. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

gosox3072
12-09-2004, 02:20 AM
Justafan, why does every post you start have to be anti-White Sox and pro-Cubs?

:threadsucks

Screw Walker. I don't want his slow, no range ass on this team. Todd Walker is nothing but a poor man's DH. I'm glad he resigned with the Flubs, as his defense and attitude will contribute to next year's Flubmarine depth sinkage.
Why is this picture in EVERY thread i see.....i havent talked much lately as i have been at school, but ***:angry: ...im sick of seeing it!

On another note...i wouldnt want to play for JR either...Play well here and deserve a bigger contract when the time comes and you and your family will move!

FarWestChicago
12-09-2004, 02:31 AM
Why is this picture in EVERY thread i see.....i havent talked much lately as i have been at school, but ***:angry: ...im sick of seeing it!I guess you have been away. You see this picture all the time because most threads in the Clubhouse do suck. It's a good thing there are other forums here.

dcb33
12-09-2004, 02:44 AM
A better topic is why did they bump KW on the MJH show in favor of the Jacksonville Jags coach, what's-his-name.You mean Jack Del Rio? You're kidding, right? Sunday's game will determine the fate of both the Bears and Jaguars seasons- whoever loses will be playing for nothing but pride from here on out.
What would KW really say in his interview anyway? Would he tow the company line about how they are trying to sign guys, but unfortunately none of the deals have worked out? You bet! We've all heard it before- it's a nonstory. You can't blame ESPN for dropping the Sox pathetic attempt to sign free agents in order to cover the Bears.

southsider17
12-09-2004, 07:15 AM
You mean Jack Del Rio? You're kidding, right? Sunday's game will determine the fate of both the Bears and Jaguars seasons- whoever loses will be playing for nothing but pride from here on out.
What would KW really say in his interview anyway? Would he tow the company line about how they are trying to sign guys, but unfortunately none of the deals have worked out? You bet! We've all heard it before- it's a nonstory. You can't blame ESPN for dropping the Sox pathetic attempt to sign free agents in order to cover the Bears.
So what earth shattering news did Mr. Del Rio impart? Are the Bears in the playoffs now? Or has absolutely nothing changed?

I was just bringing up a more valid example of a Sox slight by the media. They (MacNeil) even sarcastically said "Kenny can come on and talk about Hermanson at a later date." I guess I can't blame them but I wanted to hear Kenny. :mad:

fquaye149
12-09-2004, 07:41 AM
Why is this picture in EVERY thread i see.....i havent talked much lately as i have been at school, but ***:angry: ...im sick of seeing it!

On another note...i wouldnt want to play for JR either...Play well here and deserve a bigger contract when the time comes and you and your family will move!
why not get mad at the members who START the sucky thread?

34 Inch Stick
12-09-2004, 08:44 AM
I'm glad I got to page 2 of this thread before I posted because, as was stated earlier, Walker did not seek to put down the Sox. It was obvious he wanted to return to the Cubs if he could start. The Sox were the first team to talk to him and made him a "competitive" offer. They did not pursue further negotiation with the Sox because (and now I am interpreting) he received a subsequent offer from the Cubs and knew a deal would get done.

This is a non issue. The only remarkable thing about this interveiw from a Sox fan perspective is that the Sox wanted him early and apparently made him an acceptable offer.

gosox41
12-09-2004, 08:58 AM

To those of you who said the Sox tried to get Walker when I ripped them for not going after him, my apologies.
Must be the whole Chicago rivalry. I don't see it as a slam at all. But he did say the Sox made a fair offer.

Bob

petekat
12-09-2004, 09:29 PM
friend of mine is really close to Todd (grew up together in LA) and can confirm that he meant no disrespect for the Sox- just couldnt go directly from the Cubs to the Sox given the rivalry. Too bad while limited on d, he's clearly a grinder type who comes up big in the clutch