PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Millwood???

ChiSox14305635
12-08-2004, 05:02 PM
I just heard on ESPN 1000 on their update that he wasn't offered arbitration. Maybe another candidate, even if he is a Boras client?

Flight #24
12-08-2004, 05:08 PM
$11mil last year (so might have high salary expectations). Didn't pitch great lastyear, but IIRC isn't their park kind of a HR haven? He also only pitched 25 game last year, & had "strained ligaments" in his elbow. He could be a decent #3 or 4 (worse than Clement/Wright, similar to Ortiz), but you'd better be sure he's healthy.

Given the market so far, he might also be looking for 7-9mil.

striker60657
12-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Sucks. Next Please.

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 06:56 PM
I'm torn on him. I liked Millwood for years when he was in Atlanta. I always expected him to be pretty good. I think I predicted him throwing a no-hitter about 3 years in a row (until he finally did it). But he seems to have had too many ups-and-downs. He didn't have such a good year last year, but he battled injuries. I guess it sort of depends on the price. If he gets lost in the market, and can be had cheaply (something like 2-years, $8 million total), I'd take him. That is assuming we strikeout on Clement, Perez, etc. or we trade Garland to get a pitcher like Hudson. With the way the market for pitchers has played out so far, I don't suppose he'll come that cheaply. There's a slight possibility Boras overplays his hand like he did last year. He tried to get Millwood a huge contract last year and found that no one was willing to pay that, so he would up in arbitration. Maybe Millwood doesn't let that happen and just settles for a decent multi-year contract. I guess we'll have to see how the rest of the market plays out.

pearso66
12-08-2004, 07:18 PM
I wouldnt mind him if he was interested in a $5 mil a year deal, but IMO I think he is going to be looking for near $10 mil, given that he's coming off 11 and probably doesnt want a huge pay cut

HomeFish
12-08-2004, 07:33 PM
Sucks. Next Please.

Oh, and our current #5 starter is better? Please.

We have NO RIGHT to sneer "sucks" at a FA pitcher unless he is demonstrably worse than Munoz/Diaz/whoever. Heck, a lot of these guys that get dismissed at WSI are still better than Garland or Contreras.

Reality check, folks. You guys need it.

nodiggity59
12-08-2004, 07:47 PM

We have NO RIGHT to sneer "sucks" at a FA pitcher unless he is demonstrably worse than Munoz/Diaz/whoever. Heck, a lot of these guys that get dismissed at WSI are still better than Garland or Contreras.

:worship:

RowandKicksAss07
12-08-2004, 07:58 PM
The Sox were nearly about to get Ortiz last year for Mags, but KW backed out (no problem there), but ESPN had a thing that said Ortiz was the second winningest pitcher the last couple of years behind Roger Clemens. He had a pretty decent year last year, sort of faded down the stretch, but he's probably the best pitcher available that the Sox will go after (besided Clement).

FightingBillini
12-08-2004, 09:17 PM
The Sox were nearly about to get Ortiz last year for Mags, but KW backed out (no problem there), but ESPN had a thing that said Ortiz was the second winningest pitcher the last couple of years behind Roger Clemens. He had a pretty decent year last year, sort of faded down the stretch, but he's probably the best pitcher available that the Sox will go after (besided Clement).
Welcome aboard :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

I have a feeling Ortiz will wind up with the Nationals, and getting paid much much more than he is worth. Still, I wouldn't mind having him if KW got him. Man, just think how the Sox would look if KW would have made that trade of Maggs for Andruw Jones and Ortiz last summer. Damn.

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 12:27 AM

Player A: 9-6, 1.46WHIP, 4.83ERA, 141IP, 1.10 GB/FB
Player B: 12-11, 1.38WHIP, 4.89ERA, 217IP, 1.27GB/FB

Player B pitched as well or better than Player A. Now factor in that Player A (Millwood) pitched in the NL whereas Player B (Garland) pitchedin the AL.

I like Millwood because I think he can pitch better than 2004, and he's a solid vet. But he's not significantly superior to Garland.

Mohoney
12-09-2004, 12:46 AM
Man, just think how the Sox would look if KW would have made that trade of Maggs for Andruw Jones and Ortiz last summer. Damn.
We would be absolutely hampered by Andruw Jones' contract, and would have lost Ortiz.

Just a guess, but this is how I would have guessed it to play out.

FightingBillini
12-09-2004, 12:59 AM
We would be absolutely hampered by Andruw Jones' contract, and would have lost Ortiz.

Just a guess, but this is how I would have guessed it to play out.
Maybe, but he is the best centerfielder in baseball, and he would hit 50 homers in US Cellular. Also, KW always loved Ortiz, so Im guessing he would have signed him to an extension.

Mohoney
12-09-2004, 02:51 AM
Maybe, but he is the best centerfielder in baseball,
I have to disagree here. Beltran is better.

FightingBillini
12-09-2004, 02:55 AM
I have to disagree here. Beltran is better.
I meant defensively. Although Beltran is great defensively, I think Jones is better. Clearly, Beltran is the better hitter.

batmanZoSo
12-09-2004, 02:59 AM
I just heard on ESPN 1000 on their update that he wasn't offered arbitration. Maybe another candidate, even if he is a Boras client?
http://www.cotbn.com/Dr.%20Evil.jpg
How bout no....Scott?

:reinsy
I like the way this guy thinks. You're hired.