PDA

View Full Version : Boy, how far has Koch fallen.

santo=dorf
12-08-2004, 03:46 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.asp?sport=MLB&majteam=FLA

The Devil Rays have discussed minor league contracts with Billy Koch and Rusty Greer.
Koch still seems likely to get a major league deal. What pitching coach wouldn't want to be the one to turn his career around?
Don Cooper. :dunno:

SomebodyToldMe
12-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Wow. I feel sorry for the guy.

Flight #24
12-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Shouldn't that read "what pitching coach wants to have his career turned around by having to work with Koch?"

Soxzilla
12-08-2004, 03:58 PM
He's still a great guy.:(: Poor Billy Boy.

I'd rather have him than Hermanson ... to be honest.:o:

SoxFan78
12-08-2004, 04:04 PM
I'd rather have him than Hermanson ... to be honest.:o: You meant for that to be in teal right?

kittle42
12-08-2004, 04:30 PM

That's ridiculous.

Like, utterly ridiculous.

FarWestChicago
12-08-2004, 04:55 PM
That's ridiculous.

Like, utterly ridiculous.Yeah, that one got the Dumbass-O-Meter ringing pretty well. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gif

fquaye149
12-08-2004, 05:35 PM

just another case of sox amnesia...where players multiply in nostalgia value as soon as they leave the sox...

Soxzilla
12-08-2004, 07:09 PM
That's ridiculous.

Like, utterly ridiculous.
How so? I mean, I obviously wouldn't give him 6 million dollars. But I bet you could grab him cheaper than 2.5 million a year. I'd just throw him in there as middle relief and see if he can get the outs, granted, I KNOW any team that has Billy Koch as an integral part of their bullpen won't go anywhere in the season ... but by the looks of things now, and the way they will probably end up ... we won't be anywhere near the playoffs next year.

And Dustin Hermanson sucks, seriously, have you EVER seen him pitch? My god, he sucks. I have a friend that is a huge Giants fan who thanked me today, for getting this clown shoe.

I mean, at least when Koch got bombed, he had a scary look on his face, a guy with the name Dustin Hermanson can't be scary at all ... it's just ... not possible.

From what I remember, Koch came out and had a pretty decent year for the Marlins pitching in scumbag situations, posting a 3.51 ERA over a larger sample size he had with the white sox.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Hermanson won't have an ERA better than what Koch had with his tenure as a Sox this year. Quote me kittle, quote me.

HomeFish
12-08-2004, 07:11 PM
From what I remember, Koch came out and had a pretty decent year for the Marlins pitching in scumbag situations, posting a 3.51 ERA over a larger sample size he had with the white sox.

Didn't Koch get pulled on a 3-0 count in the middle of an at-bat in Florida?

Soxzilla
12-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Didn't Koch get pulled on a 3-0 count in the middle of an at-bat in Florida?
Yes.

Didn't Hermanson blow a 3-0 lead in the ninth which would have gotten the Giants basically into the playoffs?:cool:

HomeFish
12-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Yes.

Didn't Hermanson blow a 3-0 lead in the ninth which would have gotten the Giants basically into the playoffs?:cool:

Interesting. Is Hermanson's number somehow related to 44 as well?

munchman33
12-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Yes.

Soxzilla, I normally agree with your posts, but you're wrong when it comes to Hermanson. The guy had like two bad outings in a relief roll last year. Sure, one was really important. But he was the closer then, and he won't be with us. And he did convert 17 of 20 down the stretch for the Giants. That's gotta count for something when you're talking clutch performances.

Koch, on the other hand, no longer has the talent to warrent remaining in the major leagues. There's really no arguing this point. When he has to settle for a minor league deal, you'll understand.

Soxzilla
12-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Soxzilla, I normally agree with your posts, but you're wrong when it comes to Hermanson. The guy had like two bad outings in a relief roll last year. Sure, one was really important. But he was the closer then, and he won't be with us. And he did convert 17 of 20 down the stretch for the Giants. That's gotta count for something when you're talking clutch performances.

Koch, on the other hand, no longer has the talent to warrent remaining in the major leagues. There's really no arguing this point. When he has to settle for a minor league deal, you'll understand.We're still talking about the Hermanson that has a career 7.77 ERA in the American League right?

He sucks. Neither of them should be pitching in the major league, or for the white sox for that matter. Especially at 2.5 million.

Home, I don't understand your last post. Please explain:redneck .

EDIT - Make sure to type in Hermanson in the thread search after this season, and hopefully you can stick this back in my face. But I feel utterly confident that Hermanson blows, hard. And will blow hard this season w/ the White Sox.

munchman33
12-08-2004, 08:09 PM
We're still talking about the Hermanson that has a career 7.77 ERA in the American League right?
LOL, Soxzilla I've not seen such misuse of statistics since I read moneyball! :rolling:

That 7.77 era comes from the 2002 season with Boston, where he pitched 22 innings coming off a serious back injury.

Soxzilla
12-08-2004, 08:19 PM
LOL, Soxzilla I've not seen such misuse of statistics since I read moneyball! :rolling:

That 7.77 era comes from the 2002 season with Boston, where he pitched 22 innings coming off a serious back injury.
Well, it is just as legitimate as the other WSI posters saying ...

Well, if you take out those bad appearances, then his combined ERA would be much less. Of course, if you only factor in the innings that he never gave up any runs, he'd have a 0.00 ERA! Where do I sign up!
:rolleyes:

munchman33
12-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Well, it is just as legitimate as the other WSI posters saying ...

:rolleyes:
LOL, true that. But I think Hermanson lies somewhere in between. Probably more to the positive side. Whereas, if Koch made a major league pitching staff, he'd be the obvious choice for worst pitcher in the major leagues.

Soxzilla
12-08-2004, 08:31 PM
LOL, true that. But I think Hermanson lies somewhere in between. Probably more to the positive side. Whereas, if Koch made a major league pitching staff, he'd be the obvious choice for worst pitcher in the major leagues.
Heh, I guess we will see. I personally don't expect anything great from this guy. Probably just Jason Grill 2.0 when starting on the bump, and Jon Adkins on when coming out of the pen.

Thus transforming into the super sucktitude that is known as ...

Jon Grilli!

http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/PHOTOFILE/AACX029.jpg

"My other form is a Gremlin"

http://www.amxfiles.com/amcpix/gremlin_77.jpg
"I can hit 91 if I grease down my feeding hole with flaxseed oil, I mean ... lube"

DUSTIN HERMANSON! MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE!

munchman33
12-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Heh, I guess we will see. I personally don't expect anything great from this guy. Probably just Jason Grill 2.0 when starting on the bump, and Jon Adkins on when coming out of the pen.

Jon Grilli!

http://www.amxfiles.com/amcpix/gremlin_77.jpg
"I can hit 91 if I grease down my feeding hole with flaxseed oil, I mean ... lube"

LOL That's one of the funnies things I've ever seen on this board!

kittle42
12-08-2004, 10:03 PM
You all do realize we have basically been reduced to...

1. Pretty much agreeing that our team's biggest offseason acquisition thus far is mediocre at best, and arguing about just how meiocre he is.

and...even worse....

2. Comparing him (on equal footing) to Billy Koch.

Mohoney
12-09-2004, 01:18 AM
When he has to settle for a minor league deal, you'll understand.
I'd invite Koch to Spring Training as a non-roster invitee with a minor league contract. I'd rather take a chance on a guy that has at least had success in the past than run turdman Adkins out there unopposed.

Who knows? Maybe Koch has a good spring, shows that he has a legit breaking pitch to compliment 93-94 mph gas, and attracts trade interest. We trade him for a good prospect.

Maybe Koch has a great spring and beats out a woeful Adkins for a roster spot.

Maybe Koch has a terrible spring and we send him to AA to learn some kind of breaking/offspeed/trick pitch.

Maybe Koch sucks so bad this spring that he's out of baseball for good.

We can't really lose, no matter the outcome.

kittle42
12-09-2004, 01:29 AM
I'd invite Koch to Spring Training as a non-roster invitee with a minor league contract. I'd rather take a chance on a guy that has at least had success in the past than run turdman Adkins out there unopposed.

Who knows? Maybe Koch has a good spring, shows that he has a legit breaking pitch to compliment 93-94 mph gas, and attracts trade interest. We trade him for a good prospect.

Maybe Koch has a terrible spring and we send him to AA to learn some kind of breaking/offspeed/trick pitch.

I'll let some other team not lose, thank you.

Mohoney
12-09-2004, 01:46 AM
I'll let some other team not lose, thank you.
But what harm could he possibly do in Spring Training? The games don't count.

If he sucks, he gone. No harm, no foul.

It's better than waking up one morning in June and saying "You know what, maybe we shouldn't have just handed Adkins a job without any competition.".

By then, it's too late to do anything about it without giving up minor league talent in a trade.

I'm just thoroughly preparing myself for the very real possibility that Adkins will suck ass, and grasping at any straws I can to hope against hope that his roster spot isn't just a foregone conclusion and that Spring Training isn't just a mere formality.

It doesn't have to be Koch, just as long as it's somebody not named Jon Adkins.

batmanZoSo
12-09-2004, 02:16 AM

Jon Grilli!

I didn't know we got Wizzo from the Bozo show. He should really solidify our pen with his wacky, hypno-antics. doo-dee-doo-dee-doo-deedoooo

:reinsy
Here you go, Merry Christmas

gosox41
12-09-2004, 08:17 AM

ROFLMAO.

Good one.

Bob

kittle42
12-09-2004, 09:10 AM
But what harm could he possibly do in Spring Training? The games don't count.

If he sucks, he gone. No harm, no foul.
The same attitude and mindset brought us 3/4 of a season of Mike Jackson last year.

Sometimes, a decent spring training is NOT a good thing....

Soxzilla
12-09-2004, 01:03 PM
The same attitude and mindset brought us 3/4 of a season of Mike Jackson last year.

Sometimes, a decent spring training is NOT a good thing....No, that was a completely different attitude ... and attitude that almost had us signing the Big Cat.

Can we all just agree that they all suck? And end it there?

EDIT - Because arguing over Adkins and Koch, or either of those over Hermanson, is like arguing whether you want to get kicked in the sack or wipe out face first into cement. Either way, your going to have a salty taste in your mouth at the end of the day.

Iwritecode
12-09-2004, 01:40 PM
I'll always remember Koch for Soxfest 2003.

He was a last-minute edition to the lineup since they had signed him not long before. So it was pretty cool for him to show up at all.

Some retard actually stood in his line to get an autograph while wearing a cubs hat. When he walked up and handed him the ball, Koch refused to sign it and told him to go away.

It was pretty cool. :cool:

Soxzilla
12-09-2004, 02:14 PM
I'll always remember Koch for Soxfest 2003.

He was a last-minute edition to the lineup since they had signed him not long before. So it was pretty cool for him to show up at all.

Some retard actually stood in his line to get an autograph while wearing a cubs hat. When he walked up and handed him the ball, Koch refused to sign it and told him to go away.

It was pretty cool. :cool:
People also forget how Billy Boy also took full credit for his sucktitude while on the White Sox, and he apologized to the fans and KW because he didn't perform up the level he was expected to. And he felt horrible for letting Kenny down.

But it's ok for our other players to bitch and place their suckiness on other reasons ... like the fans ... eh Judy? You stinky p.o.s.

Gosox1917
12-09-2004, 02:22 PM

I think KW's approach of bringing back old White Sox players (Robbie, Carl, Ozzie, Greg Walker, Harold Baines) is starting to effect some of our thinking. Billy had his run here and he blew it. He was a great guy, don't get me wrong, but it's time for him to pitch, or try to pitch, elsewhere. I wish him the best of luck. Cya Billy, thanks for the holes in my bedroom wall where I punched mercilessly after every blown save!:D:

wdelaney72
12-09-2004, 04:24 PM

Wow, how short our memory gets!

NO WAY!

Baby Fisk
12-13-2004, 07:55 AM
The weekend papers in Toronto were indicating that the Jays might give Koch another shot in their bullpen. Shows how far both Koch and the Jays have fallen.