PDA

View Full Version : KW on The Score at 1:40PM

WhiteSoxFan84
12-08-2004, 01:19 PM
I don't know if they will take any calls but Boers and Bernstein did say they will ask KW about the Hermanson signing and if he will close or start.

They should also ask him when the hell he's going to sign Matt Clement and stop spending money on piece of poop relievers.

munchman33
12-08-2004, 01:42 PM
I don't know if they will take any calls but Boers and Bernstein did say they will ask KW about the Hermanson signing and if he will close or start.

They should also ask him when the hell he's going to sign Matt Clement and stop spending money on piece of poop relievers.
Yeah, because our minor leagues are stacked with adequate relievers.

This signing was necessary, whether or not you like Hermanson. Would you rather we went out and spent $12 million on Troy Percieval and then not sign a starter?

Rocklive99
12-08-2004, 01:43 PM
He's not going to be the closer, he's sticking to Shingo. But it sounds like he will be in the bullpen

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Good. KW says Dustin is here to backup Shingo. He won't be the closer. He isn't ruling out Hermanson as a starter, but says he could be a starter if needed. He thinks he can be a success either way, but Dustin will start out in the bullpen as a middle reliever. He's basically insurance for either a starters spot or closers spot, if needed, but as of now will be in the plans as a middle reliever.

Jurr
12-08-2004, 01:48 PM
That's a definite plus with this guy....he can go a bunch of ways. He's similar to a swiss army knife or a sexual deviant.

munchman33
12-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Good. KW says Dustin is here to backup Shingo. He won't be the closer. He isn't ruling out Hermanson as a starter, but says he could be a starter if needed. He thinks he can be a success either way, but Dustin will start out in the bullpen as a middle reliever. He's basically insurance for either a starters spot or closers spot, if needed, but as of now will be in the plans as a middle reliever.
If that is truly KW intentions, then I love this signing. But I still feel we need to sign another starter. Otherwise we will be seeing Hermanson starting, and that could be disastrous.

Soxzilla
12-08-2004, 01:51 PM
That's a definite plus with this guy....he can go a bunch of ways. He's similar to a swiss army knife or a sexual deviant.
:rolling: :rolling:

If Hermanson was a sexual deviant, he'd be a deviant without any genitalia. That's about how effective he is.

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 01:53 PM
KW is talking about going after second tier guys. He gave the example saying that if everyone wants Player X and then Player Y, and you forego Player X and secretly go after Player Y, you could one-up them all and grab Player Y.

LOL, Boers says, "Will you visit with us after the Jermaine Dye signing?":D:

KW just started laughing and quietly said the phone cracked up.

ilsox7
12-08-2004, 01:54 PM
KW is talking about going after second tier guys. He gave the example saying that if everyone wants Player X and then Player Y, and you forego Player X and secretly go after Player Y, you could one-up them all and grab Player Y.

KW sure knows his algebra!

munchman33
12-08-2004, 01:56 PM
That's both genius and altogether depressing at once. Guess that means we won't be seeing Clement, except whenever he and Cleveland beat us next year.

Tekijawa
12-08-2004, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=Jjav829]KW is talking about going after second tier guys. He gave the example saying that if everyone wants Player X and then Player Y, and you forego Player X and secretly go after Player Y, you could one-up them all and grab Player Y.
QUOTE]

Isn't that the theorem John Nash was working on in Beautiful Mind?

cheeses_h_rice
From what KW said, he'd rather Sox fans complain about him sitting on his hands and not know who the Sox are pursuing, vs. the Sox coming out publicly to say they're in the hunt for X players and get shut out in the end. Can't argue with that logic.

Rocklive99

LOL, I wish I could have seen KW face during that silence, I guess the secret Player Y plan wasn't so secret that time

Justafan
12-08-2004, 01:58 PM
:KW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)
"We like 2nd tier players, they are more likely to be grinders".

PA-F-IN-THETIC!

Jabroni
12-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Isn't that the theorem John Nash was working on in Beautiful Mind?:)

munchman33
12-08-2004, 01:59 PM
From what KW said, he'd rather Sox fans complain about him sitting on his hands and not know who the Sox are pursuing, vs. the Sox coming out publicly to say they're in the hunt for X players and get shut out in the end. Can't argue with that logic.
But getting pissy about guys we can't get is what being a sox fan is all about!

At least it seems like that sometimes. :D:

Flight #24
12-08-2004, 02:00 PM
:KW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)
"We like 2nd tier players, they are more likely to be grinders".

PA-F-IN-THETIC!
Please tell me that's not an actual KW quote. There's some validity to that, but to actually say it or have that as the primary driver in decisions would be asinine.

Justafan
12-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Please tell me that's not an actual KW quote. There's some validity to that, but to actually say it or have that as the primary driver in decisions would be asinine.
No, he did not use that exact quote.

Baby Fisk
12-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Atta boy Kenny! Who needs a bunch of Z-level players when he's stacking our roster with Y-level players?! I need to drink right now. Lots. :(: :gulp:

MisterB
If that is truly KW intentions, then I love this signing. But I still feel we need to sign another starter. Otherwise we will be seeing Hermanson starting, and that could be disastrous.Hermanson would be a upgrade over any 5th starter the Sox have run out there the last 2 years, but that's not saying much. He should be a servicable mid/short reliever, and the way the cost of pitching is going this offseason his price shouldn't be out of line.

Flight #24
No, he did not use that exact quote.
(phew!)

Any further updates?

Justafan
12-08-2004, 02:04 PM
(phew!)

Any further updates?
No, he is done. I feel a bit for KW, he does have his hands tied by a certain owner.

jabrch
12-08-2004, 02:14 PM
Then this is a good signing...It's not so much money that it prohibits us from making any other move.

Mots09
12-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Don't forget he also added that he was more excited about the group of minor leaguers we have in our organization now than he has been in the last 10 years!

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Palehose13
12-08-2004, 02:48 PM
I think there is some confusion about the "X-Y" comment. The way he put it was (paraphrased):

If player X is the #1 FA for 5 teams, and you are interested but think the one of the other teams will blow you away with the offer (I heard : Yankees). Then KW is more inclined to go after player Y, who is the #2, and have a leg up on the other teams when they can't sign player X and start to court player Y.

In other words if Pavano is the most coveted FA SP, but he doesn't think he can beat another team's offer he'll go after another good SP, who would be another team's second choice.

Did that make any sense?

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 03:00 PM
I think there is some confusion about the "X-Y" comment. The way he put it was (paraphrased):

If player X is the #1 FA for 5 teams, and you are interested but think the one of the other teams will blow you away with the offer (I heard : Yankees). Then KW is more inclined to go after player Y, who is the #2, and have a leg up on the other teams when they can't sign player X and start to court player Y.

In other words if Pavano is the most coveted FA SP, but he doesn't think he can beat another team's offer he'll go after another good SP, who would be another team's second choice.

Did that make any sense?Yes, thanks for clarifying that. I was in a hurry to type what I did, and after reading it back, I don't think I got the point across very well. Your description was much better. Just for example I'll throw out two names, and I'm not saying that he meant these players. Let's use Carlos Beltran and J.D. Drew. My impression of what he was saying was that if Beltran is the premier guy and everyone wants him, including big market teams like the Yankees, Angels, etc., he might take a look and realize the Sox don't stand much of a chance. So rather than getting into a bidding war over Beltran that we'll likely lose, he'd rather fly under the radar and chase after Drew really hard while everyone else focuses on Beltran. That way by the time Beltran signs and a bunch of other teams turn their attention to Drew, the Sox either already have him or have a serious advantage in getting him.

It makes sense as long as he doesn't keep trickling that down. I hate seeing the Sox not be players for guys like Beltran and the cream of the crop type players. But if we go after the 2nd tier guys, I wouldn't mind that. Like I said though, as long as it doesn't keep going down and down to the point where we're chasing after the lower tier guys because the 2nd and 3rd tier guys are being pursued by other teams. If the Sox start passing on the Matt Clement's to secretly pursue the Aaron Sele's, we're in trouble.

RichFitztightly
12-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Isn't that the theorem John Nash was working on in Beautiful Mind?
The way I understood his theorem is that: They shouldn't overload the primary target with a ton of suitors, thereby insulting the secondary targets. When the secondary targets are insulted they will then spurn the teams who made them the secondary targets because nobody likes to be second fiddle.

The alternative would be to have everybody enter in an agreement that instead of overloading one target, they would each pick out a second tier target and then spurn the primary target. Therefore the primary target would be ripe for the taking at a reasonable price and effort level. However, everybody needs to take part in the agreement of the plan, which is another word for collusion. You also have to be sure nobody is going to stab you in the back and double cross you and take advantage of the easy pickings that were created.

In the second scenario, in theory, everybody wins in that they get what they want and the acquired targets all feel as though they were the first choice and therefore will give 110%. The only problem is, the one who is designated to have the acquired target wins a little more.

I could go on further, but this sounds even geekier than I originally anticipated.

Tekijawa
12-08-2004, 03:06 PM
It makes sense as long as he doesn't keep trickling that down. I hate seeing the Sox not be players for guys like Beltran and the cream of the crop type players. But if we go after the 2nd tier guys, I wouldn't mind that. Like I said though, as long as it doesn't keep going down and down to the point where we're chasing after the lower tier guys because the 2nd and 3rd tier guys are being pursued by other teams. If the Sox start passing on the Matt Clement's to secretly pursue the Aaron Sele's, we're in trouble.
What Tier are we at for Pitchers now?

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Who knows at this point? It's getting pretty low quickly and we still haven't added a quality starting pitcher.

Flight #24
12-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Off topic, but Rotoworld says the Yanks are going after Pavano and have an interesting note:

According to the New York Daily News, the Yankees are prepared to make a four-year offer to Carl Pavano.
The paper believes the Yankees will give up on acquiring Randy Johnson (until July anyway) and try to enter next season with a rotation of Mike Mussina, Pavano, Javier Vazquez, Eric Milton and Jaret Wright. They could still ink Pavano and try to re-sign Orlando Hernandez as a sixth starter. Kevin Brown will be dumped on another team, maybe Atlanta. Dec. 8 - 2:51 pm et
So Vazquez would be off the market, but RJ may be faced with a "Sox or DBacks until July" decision. I know he's supposedly said he doesn't want to come here, but I'd guess at least part of that was becuase he thought the Yanks were a realistic option.

Ol' No. 2
12-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Off topic, but Rotoworld says the Yanks are going after Pavano and have an interesting note:

So Vazquez would be off the market, but RJ may be faced with a "Sox or DBacks until July" decision. I know he's supposedly said he doesn't want to come here, but I'd guess at least part of that was becuase he thought the Yanks were a realistic option.Isn't that the scenario a lot of people were predicting for some time? I still believe getting 300 wins is more important to RJ than post-season. Just my take on the situation. He needs 54 more, which probably means 3 years wherever he goes. Another year toiling away in Arizona probably makes it 4. How long does he think he can hold up? Even if he gets dealt in July, is it worth it to him to waste half a year?