PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong with Jon Lieber?

Giallo
12-08-2004, 11:03 AM
I think Jon Lieber will be one of the best values this off season for whichever team picks him up. He will probably get a 3 year/$15-18 million contract. I think he could average about 15 wins over the course of that contract. Lieber may not be flashy, but I would be willing to bet he will be more productive than Wright, Benson, or Clement over the next three years and will come much cheaper. He would make great sense for bargain hunters like the Sox. A rotation of Garcia, Buehrle, Lieber, Contreras, Garland would give a solid top three and a bottom two who could be in the top three if they ever figure out how to pitch.

wdelaney72
12-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Agree 100%. Sign him now.

Lieber and Clement are the best FA options left out there. The market is good for SP this year. There's no room for people to worry about "overpaying" for a SP. Whoever we sign, it's gonna cost some money.

mweflen
12-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Supposedly, Lieber is close to signing a 3 year deal with the Phillies. I think I saw this on ESPN.com. If we don't somehow snag him, I'll be hugely disappointed. I think Lieber is a better option than Clement or Wright.

GiveMeSox
12-08-2004, 11:09 AM
I think Jon Lieber will be one of the best values this off season for whichever team picks him up. He will probably get a 3 year/$15-18 million contract. I think he could average about 15 wins over the course of that contract. Lieber may not be flashy, but I would be willing to bet he will be more productive than Wright, Benson, or Clement over the next three years and will come much cheaper. He would make great sense for bargain hunters like the Sox. A rotation of Garcia, Buehrle, Lieber, Contreras, Garland would give a solid top three and a bottom two who could be in the top three if they ever figure out how to pitch.
Liber has already signed with the phillies for 3 years and 21 mil. It looks like good starting pitching is going to cost around 7 mil per year. The sox better get with the program here before everyone else is gone. Thats 2 pitchers the sox were eyeing gone for around 7 mil. They better go after clement, ortiz, or perez asap and offer right around the same are they aren't going to get anyone.

mweflen
12-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Liber has already signed with the phillies for 3 years and 21 mil.
Do you have a source on this? I didn't see it on phillies.com.

santo=dorf
12-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Do you have a source on this? I didn't see it on phillies.com.http://newyorkpost.com/sports/yankees/35980.htm

Finally, The Post learned that Lieber was close to signing a three-year, $21 million deal with the Phillies. Lieber was offered arbitration by the Yankees, who didn't pick up an $8 million option. Wright would fill his role.

mweflen
12-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Not that I'm trying to be optimistic (perish the thought), but this article only says Leiber is "close" to signing a 3yr/21mm deal with the Phils.

Vizquel was "close" to 2/10 with us, right?

Giallo
12-08-2004, 11:28 AM
$21 million/3 years seems like a decent deal. If I were KW, I would add another year, extra cash, or some incentives to get him. I think Kenny has to start being more aggressive. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the competitive nature of this year's free agent market seems to have caught him off guard. He seemed surprised someone outbid him for Vizquel. He may not have been willing to beat the Yankees for Wright, but I think he needs to make a move. Lieber is probably the cheapest quality starter left. I'd make a move.

CHISOXFAN13
12-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Not that I'm trying to be optimistic (perish the thought), but this article only says Leiber is "close" to signing a 3yr/21mm deal with the Phils.

Vizquel was "close" to 2/10 with us, right?

ESPN Radio has been reporting it all morning, too.

Time to cross him off the list. The Sox weren't one of the four teams he was considering anyway.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-08-2004, 11:46 AM
It's Matt Clement or bust. They could be after Javier Vazquez but they need to put everything else aside and get Honest Abe inked.

santo=dorf
12-08-2004, 12:21 PM
It's Matt Clement or bust. They could be after Javier Vazquez but they need to put everything else aside and get Honest Abe inked.
Odalis Perez>Clement and is asking price has been less.
Seriously, 24 million for Clement? :kukoo:

Tekijawa
12-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Odalis Perez>Clement and is asking price has been less.
Seriously, 24 million for Clement? :kukoo:
Plus We don't need that Ex-Cub factor when we make it to the series to come into effect!

wdelaney72
12-08-2004, 01:06 PM
I think Clement has better stuff and more upside than Odalis Perez, but that's just me.