PDA

View Full Version : So 14MM is now freed up, will they spend it?

Rocky Soprano
12-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Well Maggs is gone, so what will the Sox do with his 14MM they are saving? Will they spend it? Will they pocket it?

14MM is a lot of money, they can opt to go and land a big name: Beltran, Pavano, Renteria, and who ever else is out there...

I just have a feeling, hell I know, that the Sox will take the cheap way out, they will sign some "C or D" level FA and say "we tried."

BS! :angry:

Hell ticket prices went up yet again and the product on the field did not get better, it just got dramatically worse. Something doesnt seem right.

Gotta love being a Sox fan.

JRIG
12-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Well Maggs is gone, so what will the Sox do with his 14MM they are saving? Will they spend it? Will they pocket it?

14MM is a lot of money, they can opt to go and land a big name: Beltran, Pavano, Renteria, and who ever else is out there...

I just have a feeling, hell I know, that the Sox will take the cheap way out, they will sign some "C or D" level FA and say "we tried."

Hell ticket prices went up yet again and the product on the field did not get better, it just got dramatically worse. Something doesnt seem right.

But again...as we've stated many times here...the $14 million has already been spent. Extensions for Garcia. Adding Contreras' contract. Raises for Thomas, Takatsu, Marte, Lee, Garland, etc. There's very little if any of Mags' money left to be spent. Now if the Sox are increasing the payroll for 2005, yes there will be some cash. But the money earmarked for Mags is already out the door.

Justafan
12-08-2004, 09:20 AM

:reinsy (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)
" Where are my damn saving deposit tickets? Did I run out of them already?"

Rocky Soprano
12-08-2004, 09:38 AM
But again...as we've stated many times here...the $14 million has already been spent. Extensions for Garcia. Adding Contreras' contract. Raises for Thomas, Takatsu, Marte, Lee, Garland, etc. There's very little if any of Mags' money left to be spent. Now if the Sox are increasing the payroll for 2005, yes there will be some cash. But the money earmarked for Mags is already out the door.
Well what if Maggs would of accepted the Sox offer of 5yr - 70MM, then what?

Garcia had arleady been extended, Contreras had already been added, everyone was lined up for a raise. Obviously they were willing to raise payroll a bit, so now what? What happened to that plan?

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 09:43 AM

Garcia had arleady been extended, Contreras had already been added, everyone was lined up for a raise. Obviously they were willing to raise payroll a bit, so now what? What happened to that plan?
I'm sure that plan would have included dumping either Konerko or Lee and going with a cheap replacement at that position (someone like Gload). It may have also meant no attempts to bring in a guy like Wright, Clement, etc., but rather someone on the cheap such as Loaiza or Valdez.

JRIG
12-08-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm sure that plan would have included dumping either Konerko or Lee and going with a cheap replacement at that position (someone like Gload). It may have also meant no attempts to bring in a guy like Wright, Clement, etc., but rather someone on the cheap such as Loaiza or Valdez.
Bingo. My guess is that if Ordonez had returned, Konerko almost certainly would have been unloaded and we'd have seen Gload at first base this coming season.

voodoochile
12-08-2004, 09:50 AM

I thought they had already pulled the offer to Maggs when they signed Freddy because of Maggs knee injury. He had already gone back on the DL when they signed Freddy, IIRC.

southsider17
12-08-2004, 10:03 AM
I thought they had already pulled the offer to Maggs when they signed Freddy because of Maggs knee injury. He had already gone back on the DL when they signed Freddy, IIRC.
Yes, they did.

mjmcend
12-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Yes, they did.
And we had not as of yet traded for Contreras.

FightingBillini
12-08-2004, 10:57 AM
No, they traded for Garcia at the end of June. Maggs was still expected back full health. Maggs came back in a few weeks, right about the time Frank went out. I believe the last game Maggs ever played for us was Garcia's 3-0 victory in Jacobs Field.

Rocky Soprano
12-08-2004, 10:59 AM
No, they traded for Garcia at the end of June. Maggs was still expected back full health. Maggs came back in a few weeks, right about the time Frank went out. I believe the last game Maggs ever played for us was Garcia's 3-0 victory in Jacobs Field.
Thats what I thought as well.

But yeah Contreras did come on board after Maggs went down for good. But hey they probably would of still done the move, especially since the Yankees paid for most of his salary.

wdelaney72
12-08-2004, 11:03 AM
George Oftman on the Snore reported a few weeks ago, the Sox are currently committed to about $63.5 million in payroll for 2005 (AND THAT INCLUDES SUBTRACTING ORDONIEZ AND VALENTIN.). If you look at the DugOutDollars web site, that number is very realistic once you factor in arbitration raises for guys like Rowand and Uribe.

The Sox do no have 14 million to play with. Remember, they locked up Freddy Garcia and acquired Jose Contreras last year.

To realistically calculate how much money is left to play with, you need to take a gas at what JR has set as the max. I think that ceiling all depended on whether RJ was coming. My guess is that without RJ, payroll will be at about $70 million. That pretty much allows us to sign 1 SP.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-08-2004, 11:19 AM
:reinsy (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)
" Where are my damn saving deposit tickets? Did I run out of them already?"
LMAO!

Post of the Week (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13)

Congratulations!

Rocky Soprano
12-08-2004, 11:51 AM
LMAO!

Post of the Week (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13)

Congratulations!
Woo hoo, it happened on a thread I created! :bandance:

Probably be the closest I will ever get. :redneck