PDA

View Full Version : Why not Loiza?

LASOXFAN
12-07-2004, 11:57 PM
Yankees declined arbitration to Esteban. He seemed to get his cutter back working with Mariano Rivera and Mel Stottlemyer in NY. Certainly he's stronger than Garland or take your pick for 5th.

More intriguing is the idea of him becoming a closer. He did a good job against the carmines in the ALCS. Wonder if he'd accept going to the bullpen...?

Viva Magglio
12-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Not found in dictionary: Loiza

Replace with?: Loaiza

NowBatting19
12-08-2004, 12:06 AM
If Garland was traded and the Sox somehow got a Hudson/Mulder caliber pitcher, I would more than welcome Loaiza back to the south side to be either the 4th or 5th starter.

Al Capone
12-08-2004, 12:11 AM
I guess we are settling for scraps now?
:gulp:

JoseCanseco6969
12-08-2004, 12:16 AM

i wonder how many threads are entitled with "Loiza"

pearso66
12-08-2004, 12:17 AM
i wonder how many threads are entitled with "Loiza"
I dont know how many threads are entitled with it, but there are 164 with that spelling in it

nodiggity59
12-08-2004, 12:18 AM
This is the darkest time for a Sox fan since August 04.

SomebodyToldMe
12-08-2004, 12:19 AM
Or we could always find Alex Fernandez, Todd Ritchie, James Baldwin, Lorenzo Barcelo.......

Hey, I've got an idea, why not get a GOOD, big name pitcher!

What's that?

Oh yeah...Jerry doesn't want to open his checkbook. MY BAD!

Lip Man 1
12-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Capone:

Remember beggars can't be choosers.

Lip

FightingBillini
12-08-2004, 12:22 AM
If we signed Loaiza, it obviously wouldnt be our big move. He was having some arm problems last year, but he really impressed me in the playoffs. One thing you can say, he always left his heart out there (unlike Judy). If KW were to bring back Esteban as the 5th starter (hopefully after we get a stud and trade Garland) or as a reliever, I wouldnt mind one bit.

Al Capone
12-08-2004, 12:25 AM
Yea...remember you have to bring in GOOD players if you want to have a chance!

kittle42
12-08-2004, 01:08 AM
If we signed Loaiza, it obviously wouldnt be our big move.
It would be as big as our big move last year - trading Aaron Miles for Juan Uribe.

LASOXFAN
12-08-2004, 01:46 AM

gee, do I lose points as a sox fan for that?

I_Liked_Manuel
12-08-2004, 01:56 AM
this would be worse than signing nobody. i might take todd ritchie back over loaiza. a lot of people are forgetting how he couldnt even put together a whole season with us. he was fine until september came around, and i guess you know how he pitched last year.

Mohoney
12-08-2004, 06:03 AM
If Garland was traded and the Sox somehow got a Hudson/Mulder caliber pitcher, I would more than welcome Loaiza back to the south side to be either the 4th or 5th starter.
Trade for Mulder and sign Loaiza?

Garland gone?

Count me in.

Soxzilla
12-08-2004, 07:28 AM
:KW
"Jee-whiz you guys are smart. With a capital S. I mean, you're all ahead of me, I've only just BEGUN plan X ... now that wright, bradke, omar, RJ, magglio etc. won't be available. Thus I've decided to sign Sterling Hitchcock (He's still got some gas left in the tank), as well as sign Jeff Fasero, I mean, what is better then a pitcher who has been on every team in the league? He could basically scout the competition for us! Then we could downsize the scouts and save some money, and Jerry loves saving money. Of course, the conclusion of plan X would be to invite Esteban as a non-roster participant in Tucson, and see if we can get some more lightning in the same bottle that we got two years ago. Of course, with the money we save this year, while still staying competitive, we MIGHT be able to sign Galarraga mid-season ... but that is a best possible scenario. Worst case is bringing back Ron Karkovice ... but he's a grinder, and I love grinders!"

hold2dibber
12-08-2004, 07:43 AM
Yankees declined arbitration to Esteban. He seemed to get his cutter back working with Mariano Rivera and Mel Stottlemyer in NY. Certainly he's stronger than Garland or take your pick for 5th.
2004 stats:
Player A: 183 IP, 217 Hs, 117 Ks, 0.98 GB/FB, 1.57 WHIP, .296 BAA, 5.70 ERA
Player B: 217 IP, 223 Hs, 113 Ks, 1.27 GB/FB, 1.38 WHIP, .269 BAA, 4.89 ERA

Player A, of course, is Loaiza and Player B is Garland. Loaiza was much, much worse than Garland last year. He also gave up more fly balls than ground balls, suggesting he's not well suited for the Cell. With that said, I wouldn't mind giving him another look, but don't try to justify it by suggesting that he's a better option than Garland. Loazia had one, amazing, fantastic season, but other than that, he's never been very good, whereas Garland is consistently mediocre - and makes a pretty good no. 4 or 5 starter.

robertks61
12-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Only if we can give him run support!

wdelaney72
12-08-2004, 07:49 AM
Why not...

because he sucks. He sucked pitching for us, and he sucked pitching in New York.

I watched him lose an 8 run lead to the Indians last year. And don't talk to me about injuries 'cause this was somewhat early in the season.

No thanks.

kittle42
12-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Why not...

because he sucks. He sucked pitching for us, and he sucked pitching in New York.
But he had a couple of really nice games against the Red Sox in the playoffs, and as we all know that changes everything!

Jerko
12-08-2004, 09:51 AM
I'd take Loaiza back, but I have a workout scheduled for this weekend to see if the bone marrow edema I've suffered in my neck from watching all the homers he gave up last year has healed sufficiently. My agent tells me not to make a decision before then.

Mickster
12-08-2004, 09:54 AM
I would gladly take ELo back for the pen and for spot starts. Certainly not as a SP.

eshunn2001
12-08-2004, 10:01 AM
This sucks. But that may be all we do to solidify our pitching staff this year. Awesome isn't it? I have a trade idea........ We trade the Tigers Garland and JR and we will take whoever the tigers owner is..:smile:

HITMEN OF 77
12-08-2004, 10:45 AM
If he's cheap, I say we get him back. There's no reason why he can' picth like he did in 2003 and early in 2004.

mjharrison72
12-08-2004, 10:56 AM
I'd take Loaiza back, but I have a workout scheduled for this weekend to see if the bone marrow edema I've suffered in my neck from watching all the homers he gave up last year has healed sufficiently. My agent tells me not to make a decision before then. *****... I don't really want Loaiza back in teh starting rotation either, that's for certain. Especially looking at the comparison with garland, he wouldn't be worth it. Also don't want him in the bullpen. In fact, I don't give a squat if I never see "Loaiza" written on the back of a Sox jersey again.

MrKinsella
12-08-2004, 11:03 AM
I Agreed with the other guy that a getting mulder and loaiza and getting rid of Garland would be fantasic. I would prefer however that we got Millwood instead of Loaiza.