PDA

View Full Version : Top 2 Free Agents for the Sox (updated)

NowBatting19
12-08-2004, 12:55 AM
What two free agents would you like to see the Sox sign? I know this has been discussed plenty already, but with the recent developments, I want to see where you all stand now. (within our projected budget)

I would like.....

O. Perez
Renteria

nitetrain8601
12-08-2004, 01:00 AM
Renteria

Clement

kittle42
12-08-2004, 02:09 AM
:reinsy

"Yeah, and I'd like it if you all just shut up and kept buying tickets. At least one of us will get what we want!"

JRIG
12-08-2004, 06:48 AM
Placido Polanco
Matt Clement

hold2dibber
12-08-2004, 08:30 AM
Placido Polanco
Matt Clement
I comletely agree. But if Jaret Wright gets 3 years/$21 million, I'm a bit nervous that Clement may be too pricey for the Sox. I would think Clement would be able to get a similar if not better deal than Wright.

I also think there's a chance, in light of the the $ flying around for FA pitchers, that the Sox will turn their attention to trying to trade for pitching that isn't quite so high priced. Maybe move Carlos Lee for Hudson then try to sign a replacement outfielder.

Soxzilla
12-08-2004, 08:30 AM
Beltran

and

Beltran

JRIG
12-08-2004, 08:41 AM
I comletely agree. But if Jaret Wright gets 3 years/$21 million, I'm a bit nervous that Clement may be too pricey for the Sox. I would think Clement would be able to get a similar if not better deal than Wright.

I also think there's a chance, in light of the the $ flying around for FA pitchers, that the Sox will turn their attention to trying to trade for pitching that isn't quite so high priced. Maybe move Carlos Lee for Hudson then try to sign a replacement outfielder.
I've heard Clement is actually getting offers for less than what Wright was looking at. The market seems so upside-down this offseason, I'm inclined to believe it. If Clement will do 3 years, $18 million, that's worth it, right?

And if Lee gets moved, wouldn't we need two replacement outfielders? I mean, I guess we can pencil in Everett for one spot, but he's pretty brittle. Borchard shouldn't even be considered an option.

hold2dibber
12-08-2004, 08:52 AM
I've heard Clement is actually getting offers for less than what Wright was looking at. The market seems so upside-down this offseason, I'm inclined to believe it. If Clement will do 3 years, $18 million, that's worth it, right?

And if Lee gets moved, wouldn't we need two replacement outfielders? I mean, I guess we can pencil in Everett for one spot, but he's pretty brittle. Borchard shouldn't even be considered an option.
If I were KW, I'd be willing to go 3 years/$18 million for Clement. I'd be pretty happy if that were to happen.

I'm not sure about the outfield situation. I guess the way you look at it, the Sox are already an outfielder short. But I think they're intending to play Everett everyday in RF (health permitting) instead of paying him $4 million to sit on the bench. OTOH, if the Sox are convinced that Frank won't be ready for the start of the season (which means Everett can play DH), I'd expect them to get another outfielder, but a bargain bin guy, like Delucci, Danny Bautista, Todd Holandsworth, Ray Lankford, or someone like that. If they were to trade Lee, I'd think they'd also try to get someone more high profile (like Drew or, more likely, Dye).

munchman33
12-08-2004, 09:41 AM
Pavano and Clement.

I'd be happy if we signed those two guys, shipped out Garland, and didn't make any more signings. Sure, we'd have a ton of holes, but its better not to have them in the rotation. And with that rotation, many of the holes could be made up for. Just think about sending these five out ever week:

Buerhle
Garcia
Pavano
Clement
Contreras

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

siugrad25
12-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Here are my first two FA signees:

Matt Clement
Edgar Renteria

but what about a Mike Matheny to shore up the catching slot ??? And Jermaine Dye wouldn't be a horrible fit in RF if he's healthy.

Dick Allen
12-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Slim and none.

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Slim and none.:reinsy
"Haha, my kind of guy. Now we're talking. Those two guys sound like my top targets. But since I'm in a very generous mood, I'll you fans two good players instead. Say hello to the White Sox new starting right fielder, and fifth starter, respectively, Darren Bragg and Omar Daal! See, who says we don't spend?"

CarlosMay'sThumb
12-08-2004, 09:55 AM
Slim and none.
I agree.

Throwing around names is fun, but useless. The Sox will continue their trend of not signing major free agents - not because they're not trying but because all major leaguers and their agents realize that Kenny Williams is absolutely incapable of putting together a team with a chance to win.

Tekijawa
12-08-2004, 10:07 AM
whoever we can get for Konerko

whoever we can get for Lee and Garland

I say blow this team up and just admit that we're rebuilding at this point. We're not going to be better than the Twins, The Indians will be tough and watch out for the Tigers!

MRKARNO
12-08-2004, 10:16 AM
Placido Polanco
Matt Clement

This would be a good move by solidifying the 2B position and the starting rotation. I am in agreement.

Baby Fisk
12-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Most depressing thread ever. Here we go again, settling for sloppy seconds (thirds? fourths?). Sometimes I hate this team more than diahorrea or rabies. Or both combined. :(:

fusillirob1983
12-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Shouldn't most of these posts be in pink?

southsider17
12-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Shouldn't most of these posts be in pink?
Still relatively new here. What does pink mean again? :?:

JRIG
12-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Most depressing thread ever. Here we go again, settling for sloppy seconds (thirds? fourths?). Sometimes I hate this team more than diahorrea or rabies. Or both combined. :(:
Well, if you asked me at the beginning of free agency which two players fit this team the best (payroll considered...meaning no Beltran dreams), I still would have said Polanco and Clement probably.

That doesn't mean we're going to grab them, but I don't think it's like we have to settle for anything quite yet.

Flight #24
12-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Still relatively new here. What does pink mean again? :?:pink = pipedream
teal = sarcasm

I think that's the majority of the cloros used to indicate something.

southsider17
12-08-2004, 10:26 AM
pink = pipedream
teal = sarcasm

I think that's the majority of the cloros used to indicate something.
OK. Thanks. I figured out the teal pretty quickly. Haven't seen much in pink, though, so I wasn't sure.

kittle42
12-08-2004, 10:39 AM
"Through thick and thin. Thick and thin."

Baby Fisk
12-08-2004, 10:47 AM
"Through thick and thin. Thick and thin.":ohno
"We laugh, only because it hides the tears..."