PDA

View Full Version : Cubs sign Henry Blanco

Jjav829
12-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Wow. Free agent signings rolling in here. Good signing for the Cubs. He's better than Bako. Blanco gets a 2-year deal. No word on the money yet.

SomebodyToldMe
12-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Wow. Free agent signings rolling in here. Good signing for the Cubs. He's better than Bako. Blanco gets a 2-year deal. No word on the money yet.
I'm sure it'll be too much though!

Jjav829
12-07-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm sure it'll be too much though!I'm sure it will be. I'm just waiting for the news to come in on the Sox first free agent signing. I guess I shouldn't wait too long...

SomebodyToldMe
12-07-2004, 10:52 PM
I'm sure it will be. I'm just waiting for the news to come in on the Sox first free agent signing. I guess I shouldn't wait too long...
What are you talking about!!? We got Walker! And we paid too much for him too!!!

Justafan
12-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Blanco is known for his defense and game calling and certainly is better then Bako. I think he is also Maddux' personal catcher. I think Barrett is signed so he is obviously a backup catcher. Not a bad backup.

serena
12-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Rotoworld says it's for $2.5 million dollars for 2 years. That's a lot for a backup catcher.

SomebodyToldMe
12-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Rotoworld says it's for $2.5 million dollars for 2 years. That's a lot for a backup catcher.
Hey, Jjav, I called it!

Lip Man 1
12-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Remember White Sox triple A players don't cost much at all! LOL

Lip

Soxzilla
12-08-2004, 07:20 AM
Great, now he can kill Buehrle during the other big series the Sox have every season.:rolleyes:

JRIG
12-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Blanco sucks. He was one of the worst hitting catchers in baseball, even after his hot start. As good as the Garciaparra and Walker signings were, this one was bad. Just another Maddux caddy for the necxt two years.

southsider17
12-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Blanco sucks. He was one of the worst hitting catchers in baseball, even after his hot start. As good as the Garciaparra and Walker signings were, this one was bad. Just another Maddux caddy for the necxt two years.
Plus it cost them a draft pick. :smile:

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Blanco sucks. He was one of the worst hitting catchers in baseball, even after his hot start. As good as the Garciaparra and Walker signings were, this one was bad. Just another Maddux caddy for the necxt two years.He's not a good hitting catcher, but he's one of the better defensive catchers out there. Barrett is already locked in as their main catcher, and he's more of an offensive catcher. Blanco gives them a good defensive backup. They're not going to rely on Blanco to play in over 100 games (and 300+ ABs) like he did last year with the Twins. He is Maddux's caddy which is the problem. The Cubs would be better off if they didn't have to have a separate catcher for Maddux. There are games when Maddux is on the mound and they might need a bit more offense. It would be beneficial to the Cubs for Maddux to learn to work with Barrett so Blanco doesn't always have to catch him.

JRIG
12-08-2004, 09:30 AM
He's not a good hitting catcher, but he's one of the better defensive catchers out there. Barrett is already locked in as their main catcher, and he's more of an offensive catcher. Blanco gives them a good defensive backup. They're not going to rely on Blanco to play in over 100 games (and 300+ ABs) like he did last year with the Twins. He is Maddux's caddy which is the problem. The Cubs would be better off if they didn't have to have a separate catcher for Maddux. There are games when Maddux is on the mound and they might need a bit more offense. It would be beneficial to the Cubs for Maddux to learn to work with Barrett so Blanco doesn't always have to catch him.
If a team is going to sign a defensive-minded back up, I'm of the opinion you don't give him a multi-year deal, and you certainly don't pay him almost $1.5 million each season.

But it's the Cubs money, so what do I care?

Justafan
12-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Totally disagree here. Paul Bako, now that guy sucked. Blanco is one of the better defensive catchers in the game and is a good game caller. Did you watch him VS the Sox last year?

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 09:34 AM
If a team is going to sign a defensive-minded back up, I'm of the opinion you don't give him a multi-year deal, and you certainly don't pay him almost $1.5 million each season.

But it's the Cubs money, so what do I care?
I don't really agree with the years either, but like you said, it's the Cubs, so I kinda wish they would have signed him to a 5-year $50 million deal. :D:

serena
12-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Plus it cost them a draft pick. :smile:

Good news if it weren't going to the Twins ...

southsider17
12-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Good news if it weren't going to the Twins ...
Actually, I might have some bad info on that. If he's a Type C free agent then no picks. I heard he's a Type B initially, then I heard he's a Type C. Can anyone clear this up?

Vsahajpal
12-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Type C so they get a compensation pick between rounds 2 and 3, but the Cubs don't lose a pick.