PDA

View Full Version : Sox Main FA Target Signed by Yankees

Giallo
12-07-2004, 11:15 PM
According to the Washington Post, Jaret Wright has signed with the Yankees:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45296-2004Dec7.html

Likely 3-years, $22.5 million. Too much I say. Go get Lieber. He'll be better next year anyway.

duke of dorwood
12-07-2004, 11:19 PM
Everything's "too much" for some of you. Are the tickets too much?

Thinking "too much" always gets this team "too little"

Justafan
12-07-2004, 11:19 PM
So, does KW have a plan D?

duke of dorwood
12-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Last year D was in Dan Wright

OEO Magglio
12-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Also, milton is probably going to sign tomorrow with the yanks. I think a deal for Vazquez could definitely happen now. This sucks to not have Jaret but the deal is supposed to be in the neighborhood of Benson's deal. The yanks are way overpaying for this guy.

santo=dorf
12-07-2004, 11:22 PM
According to the Washington Post, Jaret Wright will sign a three-year deal to pitch for the Yankees.
The contract is in the same neighborhood of Kris Benson's three-year, $22.5 million contract with the Mets. We think that's too high unless Leo Mazzone comes with him. Wright isn't likely to collapse outside Atlanta, but he might not perform much better than Javier Vazquez did last season **** that!!!

Jjav829
12-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Awesome! So, what's Plan (ummm, what Plan are we on again? C? D?).

Wright is now gone. Pavano is out of our price range. Clement seems to have priced himself out of our range. RJ doesn't want to come here. Pedro isn't coming here. Sox don't seem to have interest in Odalis Perez (though they may be forced into having interest at this rate). Yep, this offseason is shaping up great. But no need to panic, right?

We sure as hell better hope that KW can swing a trade for Vazquez or Hudson because that seems like our last option for adding a good pitcher this offseason. Otherwise, Shawn Estes here we come! :(:

Giallo
12-07-2004, 11:23 PM
I think if the Sox signed Lieber for the same amount (perhaps a little less) it would be a very good signing. I would be willing to bet he will have a better year than Wright. And Benson for that matter.

RichFitztightly
12-07-2004, 11:26 PM
I knew the Sox weren't getting Wright the moment Gammons said we were close to signing him. At this point isn't Petey-boy becoming worse off than that jinx guy that was banished to the bathroom in... I want to say A Bronx Tale?

OEO Magglio
12-07-2004, 11:28 PM

Otherwise, Shawn Estes here we come! :(:
Hey now, don't even joke about that. This either makes Leiber or Vazquez definitely available now, if the yanks still attempt to resign Lieber, vaz will be traded. I think vaz will end up on the southside, atleast I hope.

Jjav829
12-07-2004, 11:28 PM
I knew the Sox weren't getting Wright the moment Gammons said we were close to signing him. At this point isn't Petey-boy becoming worse off than that jinx guy that was banished to the bathroom in... I want to say A Bronx Tale?Well I hope Gammons reports we're close to signing Russ Ortiz then, because I have a bad feeling that's where we are heading. Hopefully early reports of Ortiz looking for a 4-year, $40 million deal will scare off KW.

santo=dorf
12-07-2004, 11:29 PM
I knew the Sox weren't getting Wright the moment Gammons said we were close to signing him. At this point isn't Petey-boy becoming worse off than that jinx guy that was banished to the bathroom in... I want to say A Bronx Tale?
And Bruce "Heard it through the grapevine" Levine.

They are both 0/2. :mad:

MRKARNO
12-07-2004, 11:29 PM
7.5 mil a year for Jaret Wright? No thanks. He's not worth anywhere near that.

Jjav829
12-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Hey now, don't even joke about that. This either makes Leiber or Vazquez definitely available now, if the yanks still attempt to resign Lieber, vaz will be traded. I think vaz will end up on the southside, atleast I hope.
Why? I don't know why everyone assumes the Yankees will trade Vazquez unless they can get RJ in return. These are the Yankees we are talking about. I wouldn't put it past them to sign Wright, Milton, and Lieber (and trade Brown) and go into next year with a rotation of:

Mussina
Vazquez
Lieber
Milton
Wright

Hell, with their pitching woes last year, they might even sign enough starters to guarantee 6 starting pitchers on their roster.

OzzieBall2004
12-07-2004, 11:33 PM

You're right it is A Bronx Tale...

Omar Vizquel? Strike 1
Randy Johnson? Strike 2
Jaret Wright? Strike 3

I never really thought the RJ deal would get done, but I sure could go for an infield of Uribe and Vizquel and a rotation with Wright (not Danny), Buehrle, Garcia, Garland and Contreras.

Ah well, I still think he's gonna make moves, but I'm getting restless and I hope he doesnt get crazy from getting burned a few times and overpay too much.

SomebodyToldMe
12-07-2004, 11:37 PM
I'm just glad we signed Kevin Walker early! His price could have went that high!

nitetrain8601
Ah dang. I'm prepared for us to sign Jamey Wright.

Jjav829
7.5 mil a year for Jaret Wright? No thanks. He's not worth anywhere near that.
Why do I get the feeling we'll see this said plenty more times this offseason?

SomebodyToldMe
12-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Why do I get the feeling we'll see this said plenty more times this offseason?It's either "They paid too much for him. He's not worth that" or "THEY GOT HIM AS A STEAL! WHY CAN'T THE SOX DO THAT?!" in regards to the Cubs.

OEO Magglio
Has anyone seen this reported anywhere else??? Remember how some wierd ass paper had us signing ponson last year. I'm not saying that's what happened but so far I see no where else reporting this.....

Justafan
Vizquel was all but signed here and he ends up in SF.

Wright was all but signed here and he ends up in NY.

RJ was on the radar and he said pass.

Anyone think KW is about to break something?

MRKARNO
12-07-2004, 11:41 PM
Why do I get the feeling we'll see this said plenty more times this offseason? Unless payrolls are going to go up dramatically, I cant see it happening too many more times. Not at this rate at least.

BTW this deal furthers the thinking that 3 years 27 mil for Garcia was an absolute steal if this keeps up.

SomebodyToldMe
12-07-2004, 11:42 PM

Anyone think KW is about to break something?
Yep...Probably the farm system to get another big name at whatever cost it takes.

And I'd seriously be fine with it.

OEO Magglio
12-07-2004, 11:43 PM
Has anyone seen this reported anywhere else??? Remember how some wierd ass paper had us signing ponson last year. I'm not saying that's what happened but so far I see no where else reporting this.....
Nevermind, it was reported on espnnews also.

kittle42
12-07-2004, 11:46 PM

Wright is now gone. Pavano is out of our price range. Clement seems to have priced himself out of our range. RJ doesn't want to come here. Pedro isn't coming here. Sox don't seem to have interest in Odalis Perez (though they may be forced into having interest at this rate). Yep, this offseason is shaping up great. But no need to panic, right?

We sure as hell better hope that KW can swing a trade for Vazquez or Hudson because that seems like our last option for adding a good pitcher this offseason. Otherwise, Shawn Estes here we come! :(:
Oh, be quiet! KW flies under the radar! He'll definitely do something! Have they even played a game yet....why not just forego the whole season?

Silly optimists.

kittle42
12-07-2004, 11:47 PM
Why do I get the feeling we'll see this said plenty more times this offseason?
Because people need to feel comforted.

MRKARNO
12-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Oh, be quiet! KW flies under the radar! He'll definitely do something! Have they even played a game yet....why not just forego the whole season?

Silly optimists.
Oh crap! We've missed out on a single FA pitcher in Jaret Wright, who has had only one good year....and it was under Leo Mazzone too. We're not going to get anybody!

Give KW a chance for godsakes. When was the last time that he actually signed someone we were favored to get anyways? He'll probably get someone that none of us would expect.

SomebodyToldMe
12-07-2004, 11:53 PM
He'll probably get someone that none of us would expect.

Can you imagine if he got Pedro? People would STILL be complaining.

santo=dorf
12-07-2004, 11:54 PM

Anyone think KW is about to break something?I would buy stock in buffet tables ASAP.

BTW, I wouldn't consider the signing of Wright to be as close as us signing Omar. Hell, Omar said he thought he was doing to be a "White Sock."

nitetrain8601
12-07-2004, 11:54 PM
Yanks snatch up Womack.

siugrad25
12-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Another steller non-move by the White Sox I see!!!!!!! :angry: I was really hoping beyond hoping for Jaret Wright/Matt Clement signings to give the White Sox an unbelievable rotation, (Buehrle, Garcia, Wright, Clement, Garland or Contreras) but I see the Sox are going to Sox are going to be cheap again and trade away players rather than going out and signing FAs. I'm not going to get into how stupid it would be to trade away Konerko for a Vasquez, but I don't know how many of you guys expect the Sox to score any runs if they trade a Konerko for a No. 3/4 pitcher in Vasquez in a hitters' paradise. Even if they don't trade Pauly for him and it's some sort Garland/Crede package who will the Sox put at 3rd? Or what about the infield hole at 2nd if Uribe's the SS? Or how about RF? Or C? Or what about the bullpen? See guys, trading away people really isn't the answer. The Sox need to add names and I'm not talking about Palanco, Yan or any other name you can find at the thrift store. What's more upsetting to me is how Sox fans settle with mediocrity during this time of year... Sox fans seem content with Ross Gload at 1B if Konerko is traded... My God man... ROSS GLOAD. Right now the Sox are the a third place team in the AL Central and unless they decide to be a buyer this weekend, they might as well be fourth. Sorry to vent guys, but this act of being cheap has gone on long enough. And I'M SICK AND TIRED OF WATCHING OTHER TEAMS GET BETTER WHILE THE SOX SIT ON THE HANDS.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

rwcescato
12-08-2004, 12:00 AM
You're right it is A Bronx Tale...

Omar Vizquel? Strike 1
Randy Johnson? Strike 2
Jaret Wright? Strike 3

I never really thought the RJ deal would get done, but I sure could go for an infield of Uribe and Vizquel and a rotation with Wright (not Danny), Buehrle, Garcia, Garland and Contreras.

Ah well, I still think he's gonna make moves, but I'm getting restless and I hope he doesnt get crazy from getting burned a few times and overpay too much.
It sure is disappointing. But maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Maybe we will get Vasquez or even Pavano now. But the way the Tigers are going they are making offers to every free agent. I guess they might get them in numbers if not quality. This sucks.
Rich

Justafan
12-08-2004, 12:00 AM
I would buy stock in buffet tables ASAP.

LMAO!! How soon I forgot about that episode. A KW classic.

SomebodyToldMe
12-08-2004, 12:02 AM
It sure is disappointing. But maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Maybe we will get Vasquez or even Pavano now.
Pavano would be someone I would never have guessed...Seeing how he didn't even plan a visit here and his road trip seems to be over.

Rocklive99
12-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Just saw this on ESPNEWS, nuts. If the numbers are right, that is way too much, but come on Kenny, get someone, and when I say someone I mean someone. Not just anybody for the sake of saying the White Sox made a signing, get a difference maker

I still kind of have hope though, since KW has pulled off big moves before (whether they worked or not), but this year it seems like he followed the animal kingdom into hibernation, and then what, he wakes up in 6 months and gets Robbie Alomar?

Giallo
12-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Unfortunately, if the Sox want to be a player, I think they are going to have to approach the free agent market in a way similar to the Tigers. The Sox are not a desitination franchise like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers (or Cubs). They will have to overpay to get top free agents to consider coming to the South Side. That what Detroit is doing (although it remains to be seen if the Tigers are making good decisions about who they are overpaying.) Since the Sox have limited help coming from the minor leagues, have holes on the major league roster, and are not currently a "first tier" franchise, they will have to improve via free agnecy and they will likely have to pay a premium to get better free agents. That doesn't seem like something KW is willing to do however.

santo=dorf
12-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Is this organization scared to lose a draft pick or something?

:reinsy
"You can never have enough pitching, so why bother?"

chisoxmike
12-08-2004, 12:12 AM
:prozac

nitetrain8601
12-08-2004, 12:21 AM
Radke resigns with Twins for 8 mil a year I believe. I knew he wasn't going to leave because he had a chance to last time and just resigned.

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 12:35 AM
You know, at this rate, the Sox plans for Soxfest 2005 will need to include police in riot gear.

santo=dorf
12-08-2004, 12:39 AM
You know, at this rate, the Sox plans for Soxfest 2005 will need to include police in riot gear.
:hizzoner
"The police are not here to create disorder, they're here to preserve disorder."

Win1ForMe
12-08-2004, 12:39 AM

Silly optimists.Okay, new plan:

http://adfware.free.fr/gay/wrist.jpg

nitetrain8601
12-08-2004, 12:40 AM
But Kevin Walker is a great up and coming pitcher. The next Damaso.

dcb33
12-08-2004, 12:45 AM
Okay, new plan:

Disgusting. It's only baseball.

Don't get your hopes up about Lieber, either, guys. The Yankees are offering him arbitration...

serena
12-08-2004, 12:49 AM
I was really hoping Radke would end up somewhere else. :angry:

Win1ForMe
12-08-2004, 12:52 AM
Disgusting. It's only baseball.

Don't get your hopes up about Lieber, either, guys. The Yankees are offering him arbitration...
I was actually being sarcastic. Should have used teal, I suppose.

cburns
12-08-2004, 12:57 AM
Okay, new plan:

That made me laugh

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 01:16 AM
For those suggesting we should go after Lieber now, the NY Times is reporting that Lieber is close to signing with the Phillies. Check another one off the list.

The Yankees' failure in October had little to do with starter Jon Lieber or second baseman Miguel Cairo. But the two will almost certainly be gone next season. Lieber was close to signing with the Philadelphia Phillies last night, and the Yankees are replacing Cairo with the veteran Tony Womack.Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/08/sports/baseball/08baseball.html?oref=login)

pearso66
12-08-2004, 01:22 AM
Can you imagine if he got Pedro? People would STILL be complaining.
I'd complain, because IMO Pedro has already been offered more than he is worth, and he turned it down. I'd rather stand pat than overpay someone for a 2-3 year deal, and be stuck with them.

Lip Man 1
12-08-2004, 01:26 AM
ESPN said Womack signed a two year, four million dollar deal with the Yanks. That's only two million a season for a guy who would be perfect for Ozzie-ball in the leadoff spot.

Amazing that the Sox couldn't top it, of course Womack may not have wanted to play with the Sox.

Better break out plan Q Kenny baby!

By the way Duke once again, right on the money with your comments.

Lip

santo=dorf
12-08-2004, 01:31 AM
ESPN said Womack signed a two year, four million dollar deal with the Yanks. That's only two million a season for a guy who would be perfect for Ozzie-ball in the leadoff spot.

Amazing that the Sox couldn't top it, of course Womack may not have wanted to play with the Sox.

Lip
Rotoworld is suggesting that Miguel Cairo may be signed by the Cardinals or White Sox. He'd be cheaper and put up better numbers than Womack.

Win1ForMe
12-08-2004, 01:37 AM
Rotoworld is suggesting that Miguel Cairo may be signed by the Cardinals or White Sox. He'd be cheaper and put up better numbers than Womack.I don't know about that one. Cairo had himself pretty close to a career year last year. I don't see why Wilson Valdez, platooning with Willie, wouldn't be able to match Cairo's output for much less cost.

batmanZoSo
12-08-2004, 01:41 AM

Good point. I think Chicago fans in general are just acceptant of cheap owners now. Myself included to a degree. I've shunned ideas of signing this or that because they make too much money. But I think a lot of just know a big FA shopping spree is never going to happen regardless so we just pray that they don't go out and make crippling signings ala Jaime Navarro and big A.B that will prevent us from filling other holes that are equally as important. Which side is the right one, I don't know. But none of us are bookkeepers or number crunchers for the organization that I know of, so maybe the only logical route is for us to just demand getting the best players possible no matter the cost. I think we need to start a revolution and start acting like New Yorkers--and I don't suggest we all emulate Sarah Jessica Parker (as tempting as it may be deep down)--and just start booing our ###es off and settling for nothing less than being World Champions. Go ahead and say we already want that, but on the whole, Sox fans don't really show it. Nor do Bear fans, Hawks fans or Bulls fans.

Lip Man 1
12-08-2004, 01:47 AM
Womack hit over .300 with over 25 steals and over 90 runs scored. That's pretty damn good for two million a year.

Lip

Win1ForMe
12-08-2004, 01:53 AM
Womack hit over .300 with over 25 steals and over 90 runs scored. That's pretty damn good for two million a year.

LipA player is never as good as his best year, Lip. Womack is a career .270 hitter with a .320 OBP. I'm not going to lose any sleep over not signing him.

santo=dorf
12-08-2004, 01:54 AM

LipWell considering it's the first time he hit over .300 in his carrer, and played with one of the most powerful offenses in the MLB, he should be satisfied with being given that much money.

kittle42
12-08-2004, 02:06 AM
Good point. I think Chicago fans in general are just acceptant of cheap owners now. Myself included to a degree. I've shunned ideas of signing this or that because they make too much money. But I think a lot of just know a big FA shopping spree is never going to happen regardless so we just pray that they don't go out and make crippling signings ala Jaime Navarro and big A.B that will prevent us from filling other holes that are equally as important. Which side is the right one, I don't know. But none of us are bookkeepers or number crunchers for the organization that I know of, so maybe the only logical route is for us to just demand getting the best players possible no matter the cost. I think we need to start a revolution and start acting like New Yorkers--and I don't suggest we all emulate Sarah Jessica Parker (as tempting as it may be deep down)--and just start booing our ###es off and settling for nothing less than being World Champions. Go ahead and say we already want that, but on the whole, Sox fans don't really show it. Nor do Bear fans, Hawks fans or Bulls fans.Dead on. This is a town of losers, sportswise. Some of them "lovable" and most not. I mean, even look at the Bulls - sure they won 6 championships - but they have been horrible since then. Beyond horrible. But they are given a free pass because they won something in recent memory. Fans and media in cities like NY wouldn't allow such nonsense.

pearso66
12-08-2004, 02:09 AM
Dead on. This is a town of losers, sportswise. Some of them "lovable" and most not. I mean, even look at the Bulls - sure they won 6 championships - but they have been horrible since then. Beyond horrible. But they are given a free pass because they won something in recent memory. Fans and media in cities like NY wouldn't allow such nonsense. no they wouldnt, but if the sox won a world championship, especially 6 in a row, they would be given a free pass too. Is this right, I don't know, but who am I to complain, they are the only ones to win anything in the last 15 years

kittle42
12-08-2004, 02:10 AM
no they wouldnt, but if the sox won a world championship, especially 6 in a row, they would be given a free pass too. Is this right, I don't know, but who am I to complain, they are the only ones to win anything in the last 15 years
You just proved my point.

pearso66
12-08-2004, 02:13 AM
You just proved my point.
I realize that, but when you wait 80+ years for a baseball champion, and then get it, are you gonna dump the team 2 years after, even 6 years after? Like I said, it probably has somethign to do with the Bulls being the only team to do anything the past 15 years in this town, and since I'm only 23, thats all I can remember

batmanZoSo
12-08-2004, 02:14 AM

Lip
God, two million?!

It's absolute crap that we didn't get him. I can't really say much more than that. But hey, deep breath, deep breath. Not gonna let it bother me......

Mmmmmm, repressed rage....

SomebodyToldMe
12-08-2004, 02:18 AM
God, two million?!

It's absolute crap that we didn't get him. I can't really say much more than that. But hey, deep breath, deep breath. Not gonna let it bother me......

Mmmmmm, repressed rage....
Remember the last time someone repressed rage:

http://www.tmalliance.com/uploads/005184/HomerHulk.JPG
"HOMER SMASH!"

Deadguy
12-08-2004, 02:48 AM
:reinsy
"So, when will this collusion thing make a comeback?"

chisoxt
12-08-2004, 07:01 AM
Boy has the price of free agents escalated this off-season! Ken Rosenthal reports that Jaret Wright will be in pinstripes next year, but not ours apparently.
Three year deal with the Yankees at $21 million. http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3228180

34 Inch Stick
12-08-2004, 09:37 AM
With the price for average pitchers going up, I think we would be better off spending just a little more and getting a top of the line pitcher.

By the way, Womack at 2 or Walker at 2.5 would have been just fine with me.

munchman33
12-08-2004, 09:47 AM
With the price for average pitchers going up, I think we would be better off spending just a little more and getting a top of the line pitcher.

By the way, Womack at 2 or Walker at 2.5 would have been just fine with me.
Kenny's probably thinking he'll need that extra 2 to 2.5 million to land a starting pitcher because salaries have gone up.
Congratulations Willie Harris. Looks like you've got one more year to prove you're an everyday player.

MushMouth
12-08-2004, 10:53 AM

I'm with you Duke - Sometimes you have to pay a little more to get the players you want, especially if you're bidding with the Yankees. Of course, we could just use last year's genius 5th starter plan.

Baby Fisk
12-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Ho ho! I'm thinking Soxfest 2005 will make the landings at Normandy look like a lazy afternoon of sand & surf. :cool:

Hangar18
12-08-2004, 02:37 PM

Well Said. This guy might have been "too much" but thats what Happens
when you DONT address your pitching problems and PAY NOW before you PAY MORE LATER. Problem is, SOX dont like to PAY ....Period. And we end
up with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd place finishes ....... *sighs*

Hangar18
12-08-2004, 02:45 PM

Lip
You know, it was only a few days ago, that many were Calling for Cooler Heads to Prevail, regarding the Signing (or lack thereof) of KEY Free Agents Needed to Fill Gaping Holes that were ignored in 2001, 2002, 2003 and now this year. Of course, my Angry Reactions were based on this teams
Track record of CREATING holes and Ignoring other holes. Well,
this team has QUITE a list of holes compared to the 2000 season.
Its Inexcusable and a Travesty. and a Shame. and a Mockery.
(and im trying not to be funny here):angry:

California Sox
12-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Is this organization scared to lose a draft pick or something?Clearly not. They just lost two by not offering arbitration to Maggs.

Look, they're either cheap or they're poor, but regardless no way they were giving Wright 22.5 mil on top of the money they've already given Garcia and Buerhle.

Here's the cheap solution: Bmac for fifth starter! :smile: