PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Make offers to Gluas and Finley!

GiveMeSox
12-07-2004, 07:47 PM
According to ESPN insider the Tigers made offers to both Glaus and Finely. They have apparently offered Finley 2 years and 16 million. Whrere in the heck is detroit getting all this money from to spend. There attendance was good but not that good. They finished just below us at 1.917 mil fans and we had about 1.930 mil fans. I mean how can our budget be that different with the nearly identical attendance. Plus what are the tigers trying to do become the next Giants or Angels with overpaid overhyped large veteran contracts. There gonna have like 7 guys on the DL like the Angels last year if they keep this up.

santo=dorf
12-07-2004, 07:50 PM
The Tigers are the host of the 2005 All-Star game.

Lip Man 1
12-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Mike Illich is the founder and millionare owner of Domino's Pizza. He also owns the Red Wings who have had among the highest payrolls in the NHL.

Apparently he's won a title in hockey and now wants to win one in baseball.

Lip

GiveMeSox
12-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Mike Illich is the founder and millionare owner of Domino's Pizza. He also owns the Red Wings who have had among the highest payrolls in the NHL.

Lip
I beleive its little ceasars not doimnoes. I was at comerica a year ago and remember eating little ceasers there and its like there signature concession item.

Foulke You
12-07-2004, 08:32 PM

Lip
Not to be nitpicky but I believe Mike Illich is the owner of Little Caesar's Pizza.

doublem23
12-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Not to be nitpicky but I believe Mike Illich is the owner of Little Caesar's Pizza.
How can the guy who owns Little Caesar's be a millionaire? That crap sucks. :smile:

Lip Man 1
12-07-2004, 09:57 PM
I stand corrected. Thank you.

Lip

FarWestChicago
12-07-2004, 10:07 PM
I stand corrected. Thank you.

LipYou got your crap pizzas mixed up. That's a good thing for a Chicagoan. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/cool.gif

MRKARNO
12-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Regarding the players themselves....

Finley: I really liked what he did last year, but he will be 40 and 41 in the two years of this deal and he can be up and down in terms of power in a year to year basis. His OBP wasnt all that great last year either. I just would not offer this guy 8 mil guarenteed at the age of 41.

Glaus: He's an unknown commodity. Of his four healthy years (last being 2002), he had 2 really good years and two OK years. He was on track for a really good year this year however which helps his case, but we still dont know for a fact that he can actually stay healthy. If he is and he's producing like he was before he got hurt, he'll be worth the contract, but that's a big if.

I predict the Tigers will spend a lot of money, but they will overpay for good, but not great players.

kittle42
12-07-2004, 10:53 PM

Lip
:reinsy
"Yes, but would he trade all those Stanley Cups for one World Series like me???"

Mohoney
12-07-2004, 11:59 PM
So, let's review:

If the Tigers sign everybody that they have been talking about signing, they will look something like this:

C Pudge
1B Pena/Young
2B Kent
SS Guillen
3B Glaus
LF White
CF Finley
RF Higginson
DH Young

As if the Omar Infantes and Eric Munsons of the world didn't do enough damage against us.

If they fielded that team, they would beat us about 14 times out of the 19 games they play us.

Kogs35
12-08-2004, 12:09 AM
:chickenlittle

sorry i had to add this

batmanZoSo
12-08-2004, 12:51 AM
According to ESPN insider the Tigers made offers to both Glaus and Finely. They have apparently offered Finley 2 years and 16 million. Whrere in the heck is detroit getting all this money from to spend. There attendance was good but not that good. They finished just below us at 1.917 mil fans and we had about 1.930 mil fans. I mean how can our budget be that different with the nearly identical attendance. Plus what are the tigers trying to do become the next Giants or Angels with overpaid overhyped large veteran contracts. There gonna have like 7 guys on the DL like the Angels last year if they keep this up.
They're serious about winning and we're not. Any more questions?

Either we both have the money and only Day-twah opts to be noble and spend it; or neither really have deep pockets, but only the Motor City ballclub has the initiative (balls) to go for it anyway.

Either way, we're left in the dust.

They're serious about winning and we're not.

SomebodyToldMe
12-08-2004, 01:11 AM
Day-twah

Hahaha. I say Illinois in that way too. Illi-nwah.

StillMissOzzie
12-08-2004, 01:59 AM
How can the guy who owns Little Caesar's be a millionaire? That crap sucks. :smile:You got your crap pizzas mixed up. That's a good thing for a Chicagoan. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/cool.gif
Little Caesar's WAS in the Chicago areas several years ago now, but they got run out of town. Anyone else remember those annoying commercials with cartoon Caesar running around going "Pizza Pizza", because their gimmick was two pizzas for one price. As doublem23 and FWC have pointed out, two slabs of crap are NOT better than one.

SMO
:gulp: :gulp:

MisterB
12-08-2004, 02:41 AM
They're serious about winning and we're not. Any more questions?

Either we both have the money and only Day-twah opts to be noble and spend it; or neither really have deep pockets, but only the Motor City ballclub has the initiative (balls) to go for it anyway.

Either way, we're left in the dust.

They're serious about winning and we're not.
Illitch has owned the Tigers for 12 years. In that time the've gone 887-1185 (.428 winning pct.), have had ONE season above .500, and haven't finished higher than 3rd. And now they're 'serious about winning'? Sorry...

:whoflungpoo

Love all the Tigers boosters coming out of the woodwork.

wolcott10
12-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Little Caesar's WAS in the Chicago areas several years ago now, but they got run out of town. Anyone else remember those annoying commercials with cartoon Caesar running around going "Pizza Pizza", because their gimmick was two pizzas for one price. As doublem23 and FWC have pointed out, two slabs of crap are NOT better than one.

SMO
:gulp: :gulp:
I think there still are Little Caesar's restaurants in the Chicago area. There could be one near 47th & Kedzie.

Tekijawa
12-08-2004, 12:34 PM
I think there still are Little Caesar's restaurants in the Chicago area. There could be one near 47th & Kedzie.
There's one on Lawrence and Cambell

doublem23
12-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Yeah, there are a few others, too. One at Central & Irving Park, by the 7-11 across the street from Portage and the on in the general vacinity of Belmont and Elston are still there, IIRC. I think Caesarland is still open at Harlem and Foster, too.

We used to get Little Caesar's a lot growing up because it was cheap and they were pretty quick with delivery, but I don't think I've had their stuff in a long time. There is one down here in Peoria, though, and they do sell hot and ready large pizzas for $5 every day, so that is nice for the college budget.

I did like Crazy Bread. Perfect combination of parmesan cheese and grease. :D:

wdelaney72
12-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Their pizza blows, but Crazy Bread... YES!.

They have a location in Gurnee on Grand Avenue across the street from the Sox Flags entrance.

And I don't care what the National media does, can we have a rule on this board which prohibits calling Ivan Rodriquez "pudge". That name belongs to #72.

cheeses_h_rice
12-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Little Caesar's has locations inside certain K-Mart stores.

What more do you need to know?

:chunks

Ol' No. 2
12-08-2004, 03:02 PM
There's a Little Ceasars in my neighborhood, too. A couple of weeks ago I drove by and there was a young lady standing on the corner advertising for them. She was holding up a sign that said "Hot and Ready".:o: I think they need to work on that.

ilsox7
12-08-2004, 03:06 PM
There's a Little Ceasars in my neighborhood, too. A couple of weeks ago I drove by and there was a young lady standing on the corner advertising for them. She was holding up a sign that said "Hot and Ready".:o: I think they need to work on that.
Was Denny Neagle anywhere in the area? Sorry, just had to.

It's a national promotion they do...I think it's a large pizza for $5 always ready when you walk in the door.

Ol' No. 2
12-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Was Denny Neagle anywhere in the area? Sorry, just had to.

It's a national promotion they do...I think it's a large pizza for $5 always ready when you walk in the door.I thought maybe it was a bonus offer. With two large pizzas you get.....never mind.

LongLiveFisk
12-08-2004, 03:34 PM
And I don't care what the National media does, can we have a rule on this board which prohibits calling Ivan Rodriquez "pudge". That name belongs to #72.
You da man!
:supernana:

longshot7
12-08-2004, 04:17 PM
How can the guy who owns Little Caesar's be a millionaire? That crap sucks. :smile:
Mmmmm...... Little Caesar's. (mouth watering) $5 large pizzas - sign me up.

jdm2662
12-08-2004, 08:14 PM
I lived off the $2.99 medium pizza special on Wednesday night during my college days. It was so popular, all the crappy pizza joints in good ol Charleston, IL had their own Wednesday night specials.
________
CALIFORNIA DISPENSARIES (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

doublem23
12-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Glaus signs 4 year, $45 million deal with Arizona. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1942433)

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Glaus signs 4 year, $45 million deal with Arizona. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1942433)
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3233388

Free-agent centerfielder Steve Finley (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/85961) is on the verge of signing a two-year contract with the Angels (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71589), a move that would end the team's pursuit of Carlos Beltran (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/85146) , Sporting News has learned. Finley, 39, will come at a much less expensive price than Beltran, the most coveted free agent on the market. Beltran, 27, is seeking a 10-year deal with an annual salary of at least $15 million. Finley's deal, belived to be in the range of $7-8 milion per season, is expected to be announced Friday at Major League Baseball's winter meetings.

The Tigers didnt sign the two guys they made offers to. What a shock!

Lip Man 1
12-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Karno:

Increases the Cubs odds of signing Beltran doesn't it?

Lip

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Karno:

Lip
Probably not as much as the signing of JD Drew to another team would

FarWestChicago
12-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Karno:

Lip:crossdresser

doublem23
12-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Karno:

Lip
Or... one of the other 10 teams still said to have interest in him. :rolleyes:

MeanFish
12-09-2004, 11:08 PM
My gut's telling me that the Tigers are going to end up with Pedro.

No evidence, strictly a gut-reaction.