PDA

View Full Version : Levine reports on Magglio's knee situation.

Jurr
12-07-2004, 08:20 PM
According to Levine, Magglio Ordonez did NOT just get that second meniscal surgery in Vienna, as Boras would like everyone to believe.

Beckett and I were posting a couple of months ago about the possibility of Ordonez getting the knee addressed in regards to possible osteonecrosis, which is a small degree of rotting of the bone in the knee compartment, and Boras started coming out saying that there was only a second knee surgery.

Levine was saying tonight that he'd heard reports from Sox people that Maggs did come into Vienna to get the meniscus further worked on, but began getting a treatment of drugs to control some condition in his knee. Vienna is a center for the study of osteonecrosis and other rare orthopaedic conditions, and it may be very indicative of the fact that Boras has been trying to blow smoke up everyone's a**. This isn't to say that Maggs isn't going to be totally fine come April, but this proves that NOT offering Magglio Ordonez that kind of money with an unstable situation is the definite smart move. It's not a cheap move...it's a smart move. Period. Love ya, Maggs, but you, as Jerry Reinsdorf said, took some HORRIBLE advice from Boras, and should've been more open about the knee situation.

I hope the guy gets 7-8 mil from a team or gets 15 million from a team and doesn't play. It would serve him, Boras, and the schmuck of a team that dumps so much money irresponsibly right.

Jurr
12-07-2004, 08:23 PM
Also, according to this show, the Vazquez/Johnson/Konerko(or Garland) three way trade between the Yanks, Dbacks, and Sox could be a LOT more than speculation. This is very interesting.

Jurr
12-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Wait...that would give us a rotation of Vazquez, Wright (possibly), Buehrle, Garcia, and Contreras. Wow.

Maybe the Sox will have a rotation that could do some damage.
They'd have to milk an average of 4 runs a game out of a lineup to win with that rotation. I think they could definitely do that.

Lip Man 1
12-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Jurr says: "Levine was saying tonight that he'd heard reports from Sox people..."

And of course the Sox organization is known for truth, justice, the American way and fair dealings with all concerned.

Lip

GiveMeSox
12-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Also, according to this show, the Vazquez/Johnson/Konerko(or Garland) three way trade between the Yanks, Dbacks, and Sox could be a LOT more than speculation. This is very interesting.
This is the stupidest thing i have ever heard from. When you have many holes to fill the object is to get guys to fill them and add to the roster. It doens't make any sense to trade away your guys to fill you holes and thus create other holes by doing so. We need to add to the roster, not subtract then add. If we get vaquez great, but if we have to give up Garland then we are back to only 4 starters and on the verge of another 5th starter fiasco. Not to mention have to pay some of vazquez huge salary. If we trade Konerko now we have 5 starters but now have a question mark at 1st with Ross Gload, both offense and defense. Considering we are looking at frank possibly out for a large part of the season why would we want to trade our biggest prodcuer away to replace him with a huge question mark. These trades dont make sense. Unless we sign FA's we aren't filing holes and getting better. Or unless we trade from a certain excess we have and get maybe 2 players for 1 i cant see any trade actually filing our concerns.

SABRSox
12-07-2004, 08:58 PM
I did a little research on osteonecrosis. It occurs when a segment of the bone loses its blood supply and begins to die. The word osteonecrosis literally means "Bone-Death."

While the exact cause of the disease is still unknown, there are a couple of theories. The first is a stress fracture combined with a specific activity or trauma, like running into Willie Harris at full speed. The second is that there is a build-up of fluid in the bone that puts pressure on blood vessels and diminishes circulation to the bone. The third is that it is steroid induced. I'd say Maggs falls under circumstance one, but, well, I'll throw out circumstance three anyway.

There's also theories that bone marrow edema and osteonecrosis are directly related, though those are not yet proven.

There's even more, and it gets pretty bad. Point is, once the process starts, it may never stop until the bone completely collapses. While I will be upset over losing draft picks, the point is we never had those picks to begin with, and aren't "losing" anything. What we are doing by not offering Maggs arbitration is buying peace of mind.

For an osteonecrosis primer, look here. (http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=319&topcategory=Knee)

Jurr
12-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Jurr says: "Levine was saying tonight that he'd heard reports from Sox people..."

And of course the Sox organization is known for truth, justice, the American way and fair dealings with all concerned.

LipSorry, Lip, there's just too much going on against Boras as far as his credibility in this manner. There are way too many coincidences regarding Maggs and his knee and exactly where he went to get surgery done for this to be nothing more than a meniscus surgery. You want to see some top flight knee surgeons, go to Birmingham, Alabama. They have some of the best in the world. You have some screwy situation going on with that knee, you go to some of the European countries that spend a lot of time and money on molecular biology and research in those fields. And, that, my friend, is what has happened here.

SoxxoS
12-07-2004, 09:05 PM
I hope KW is looking at the fact that Vazquez DID pitch against other teams other than us, where he looked like Cy Young. I also would like KW to get tape of Game 7 of the ALCS where he got BOMBED.

Not to mention we would be losing a major offensive piece in Korneko AND putting ANOTHER hole in the rotation...all for a guy that is owed over 40 million over the next 4 years (I think).

Big Gay Al says:

"That sounds SUPER!!!"

ChiSoxJay
12-07-2004, 09:14 PM
This is the stupidest thing i have ever heard from. When you have many holes to fill the object is to get guys to fill them and add to the roster. It doens't make any sense to trade away your guys to fill you holes and thus create other holes by doing so. We need to add to the roster, not subtract then add. If we get vaquez great, but if we have to give up Garland then we are back to only 4 starters and on the verge of another 5th starter fiasco. Not to mention have to pay some of vazquez huge salary. If we trade Konerko now we have 5 starters but now have a question mark at 1st with Ross Gload, both offense and defense. Considering we are looking at frank possibly out for a large part of the season why would we want to trade our biggest prodcuer away to replace him with a huge question mark. These trades dont make sense. Unless we sign FA's we aren't filing holes and getting better. Or unless we trade from a certain excess we have and get maybe 2 players for 1 i cant see any trade actually filing our concerns.
Well said...I totally agree with you about filling holes only to create more.

FightingBillini
12-07-2004, 09:34 PM
I agree with the premise that you need to sign free agents, and not take from one hole to patch another. However, Konerko was not our biggest producer. He didnt hit anything away from home. You may say Gload is a question mark at the plate, but Gload >>> Konerko defensively. Dont mistake Ross dropping those fly balls in right with him picking balls out of the dirt. He is a stud defensively.

GiveMeSox
12-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Im about to be on the show. Joe from purdue.

doublem23
12-07-2004, 10:30 PM

Lip
And Scott Boras is? :rolleyes:

My guess is, combining both sides' stories, we're still only aware of maybe 25% of what's really going on.

Lip Man 1
12-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Jurr:

Not disagreeing with what you have said only that the Sox are far from being unbiased in this. I'd take their comments with a grain of salt especially since they have not examined maggs to the best of my knowledge.

Lip

munchman33
12-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Jurr:

Not disagreeing with what you have said only that the Sox are far from being unbiased in this. I'd take their comments with a grain of salt especially since they have not examined maggs to the best of my knowledge.

Lip
Exactly. Kenny Williams said himself he hasn't seen anything from Maggs' camp. Then how would they know this? Sounds bogus.

MisterB
12-08-2004, 03:22 AM
Exactly. Kenny Williams said himself he hasn't seen anything from Maggs' camp. Then how would they know this? Sounds bogus.It was reported way back before Maggs hired Boras that there was a vascular problem in the knee in addition to the edema. That points strongly to avascular/osteonecrosis.

BTW, the Sox had one notable player that suffered from that condition: Bo Jackson. Frankly, I don't expect Maggs to play another full season in the majors again.

ChiSoxBobette
12-08-2004, 07:25 AM

Lip
Anyone who would take Scott Boras's side in this is stupid , if there is'nt anything wrong with Maggs why would'nt he let not just the White Sox but any team have a look at how Mags is coming along. The White Sox did the smart thing in not offering arbitration whether Mags is fine or not why would the White Sox take that chance and if they did and Mags was still hurt every White Sox fan in the world would have been calling for KW's head.

CarlosMay'sThumb
12-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Anyone who would take Scott Boras's side in this is stupid , if there is'nt anything wrong with Maggs why would'nt he let not just the White Sox but any team have a look at how Mags is coming along. The White Sox did the smart thing in not offering arbitration whether Mags is fine or not why would the White Sox take that chance and if they did and Mags was still hurt every White Sox fan in the world would have been calling for KW's head.
It's obvious why Boras wouldn't let the Sox see Maggs' medical records or examine him. Maggs did not want to sign with the Sox under any circumstances and did not want the Sox to offer arbitration and receive draft picks if he signed elsewhere. Maggs must be really pissed off

Justafan
12-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Maggs must be really pissed off
Ding Ding!!

Flight #24
12-08-2004, 10:56 AM
It's obvious why Boras wouldn't let the Sox see Maggs' medical records or examine him. Maggs did not want to sign with the Sox under any circumstances and did not want the Sox to offer arbitration and receive draft picks if he signed elsewhere. Maggs must be really pissed off
Hell yeah he's pissed off. He's pissed because he turned down a very large offer, suffered a freak injury, had to go to some specialized clinic in Austria for "minor surgery", and now is crapping bricks that his career may be over and/or he'll never get the giant contract he was angling for.