PDA

View Full Version : Jim Hendry: How does he do it?

Justafan
12-07-2004, 05:37 PM
How did he sign Garciaparra for a mere 8 bones? Did Garciaparra have no other offers on the table? I honestly think he has a magic wand or something. Now He is about to land Walker tonight for mere shells.

It was reported Walker was on the Sox radar screen.

Brian26
12-07-2004, 05:39 PM
T$r$i$b$u$n$e

Tekijawa
12-07-2004, 05:40 PM
At least one Chicago team has a SS

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-041207cubs,1,1039537.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Justafan
12-07-2004, 05:42 PM
T$r$i$b$u$n$e
But 8 million is not that much for a player like that. I would think many other teams could have offered that much.

santo=dorf
12-07-2004, 05:44 PM
But 8 million is not that much for a player like that. I would think many other teams could have offered that much.Go ahead and name which teams would give more than $8million to a whiney shortstop who was injured most of the previous season. If he plays as well as he did in Boston he will probably make $11 million (due to incentives) with the Cubs for 2005. Renteria, and Orlando Cabrera are also on the market this offseason too, so I don't think a team would be willing to shell out the big bucks for Nomar.

Nick@Nite
12-07-2004, 05:45 PM
No specifics regarding the duck-its. With his nagging injuries of late, I wonder if it's an incentive laden deal?

JB98
12-07-2004, 05:46 PM
But 8 million is not that much for a player like that. I would think many other teams could have offered that much.

You overestimate Garciaparra. He's weak defensively and hasn't been the same offensive player since he got hurt. I'm actually glad the Cubs signed him. I was worried they'd sign Edgar Renteria, who is a better player than Garciaparra at this stage of his career.

munchman33
12-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Go ahead and name which teams would give more than $8million to a whiney shortstop who was injured most of the previous season. If he plays as well as he did in Boston he will probably make $11 million (due to incentives) with the Cubs for 2005. Renteria, and Orlando Cabrera are also on the market this offseason too, so I don't think a team would be willing to shell out the big bucks for Nomar.
Just another pro-Flubs slant by justafan. Pay him no mind.

Nick@Nite
12-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Nevermind.

Tekijawa
12-07-2004, 05:52 PM
8 million plus up to 3 million in incentives....

FarWestChicago
12-07-2004, 06:11 PM
How did he sign Garciaparra for a mere 8 bones? Did Garciaparra have no other offers on the table? I honestly think he has a magic wand or something. Now He is about to land Walker tonight for mere shells.

It was reported Walker was on the Sox radar screen.Nomar all but blows. He's not the player he was a few years back. This is no great accomplshment at all. Unless....

:crossdresser

ilsox7
12-07-2004, 06:22 PM
From chicagosports.com:

Nomar Garciaparra enjoyed his brief stay with the Cubs so much he's coming back, agreeing Tuesday to a one-year contract.
Yea, and those $11MM other reasons have NOTHING to do with it.

MRKARNO
12-07-2004, 06:27 PM
I think if Garciaparra comes back healthy, then he will be well worth the contract that Hendry gave him. He can easily still hit 20-30 home runs, post a .350+ OBP, hit for a .300+ average, steal a few bases (probably about 10) and otherwise play pretty well on the offensive side for a Shortstop. All of the other options on the market are overrated. Renteria was pretty good in '03, but that's the only year that really would justify the kind of money he's looking for with Miguel Tejada's deal in mind. BTW, the Orioles' Tejada deal is going to look pretty good for the team in a few years IMO. Cabrera....hugely overrated and whoever gives him the money he's asking for (Someone will I'm sure) is going to regret it later. I'm not going to be shy about giving credit where it is due and say that hendry did the smartest thing he could do here.

California Sox
12-07-2004, 06:52 PM
I think Hendry's one of the best GM's in the business. He's made some quality acquisitions and he's never really given up a top player or prospect. Dontrelle Willis is a hell of a player, but he only emerged after the Cubs traded him. Credit where credit is due, Hendry knows talent.

Now, onto the specific of Nomar. He's been a great player and healthy his defense is adequate or better. But, he was a skinny guy with no power in college who all of the sudden became a muscular power hitter after "working out" before his AAA season. Now he's become injury-prone. Is there any chance he 'roided up? I've begun to distrust every "work out warrior" in the sport. Anyone who had little power, then worked out and got huge power is suspect in my mind. That includes the usual suspects Sham-E et al, but also guys like Finley, Gonzo, Nomar, hell, even Mags. If you're a smaller guy who's power "emerged" I'm taking the guilty 'til proven innocent tack. And, yes, I'm a cynical person.
:dtroll:

Jerome
12-07-2004, 06:59 PM
I think if Garciaparra comes back healthy, then he will be well worth the contract that Hendry gave him. He can easily still hit 20-30 home runs, post a .350+ OBP, hit for a .300+ average, steal a few bases (probably about 10) and otherwise play pretty well on the offensive side for a Shortstop. All of the other options on the market are overrated. Renteria was pretty good in '03, but that's the only year that really would justify the kind of money he's looking for with Miguel Tejada's deal in mind. BTW, the Orioles' Tejada deal is going to look pretty good for the team in a few years IMO. Cabrera....hugely overrated and whoever gives him the money he's asking for (Someone will I'm sure) is going to regret it later. I'm not going to be shy about giving credit where it is due and say that hendry did the smartest thing he could do here.

Don't worry. This is WSI, where people actually can complain about getting Nomar. And for those who talk about the differences btw Nomar and Rentaria, realize that the age difference is only a year or two.

ode to veeck
12-07-2004, 07:21 PM
IMHO, Gonzo yes, Maggs no

blesto-v
12-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Not a bad day at the office for Hendry......

Nomar and Walker.................middle infield set...............you may not like his choices, but he can turn his attention to the outfield for the rest of the winter............

santo=dorf
12-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Not a bad day at the office for Hendry......

Nomar and Walker.................middle infield set...............you may not like his choices, but he can turn his attention to the outfield for the rest of the winter............Good,
I hope the Cubs come into the 2005 season with the same bullpen they had at the end of last September. :gulp:

Lip Man 1
12-07-2004, 08:32 PM
The Cubs have money because the company that owns them finally 'gets it.' They are acting like a major market team, something the Sox are unwilling to do.

At the rate the Cubs are getting fans the Sox franchise may be extinct in twenty years.

Lip

SomebodyToldMe
12-07-2004, 09:05 PM
It's official...I've fully disowned Nomar.

No longer is he a favorite player of mine.

FarWestChicago
12-07-2004, 09:12 PM
At the rate the Cubs are getting fans the Sox franchise may be extinct in twenty years.

LipWhat would you complain about then? http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gif

Foulke You
12-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Good,
I hope the Cubs come into the 2005 season with the same bullpen they had at the end of last September. :gulp:

I'll drink to that! I'd like to give a special shout out to Cubs closer Ryan Dempster!! :gulp:

munchman33
12-07-2004, 10:46 PM
The Cubs have money because the company that owns them finally 'gets it.' They are acting like a major market team, something the Sox are unwilling to do.

Lip
LOL Lip that's the funniest thing I've ever read. The Cubs have oodles and oodles of money because their fans support their team regardless of team performance, payroll, and ill feelings towards management. They sold out the Urinal when their payroll was amongst the lowest, and they only thing they've finally "got" is that their fans may deserve better.

Ick. See what you made me do. I feel dirty. :mad:

Lip Man 1
12-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Munchman:

History lesson. As recently as 1983 the Cubs were CLOSING off the upper deck at Wrigley Field because there was NOBODY sitting in the seats.

Even they realized they had to give the drunks something more then beer to support or eventually they'd lose them to something or some other form of entertainment.

Thank you.

Lip

munchman33
12-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Munchman:

History lesson. As recently as 1983 the Cubs were CLOSING off the upper deck at Wrigley Field because there was NOBODY sitting in the seats.

Even they realized they had to give the drunks something more then beer to support or eventually they'd lose them to something or some other form of entertainment.

Thank you.

Lip
Baseball has completely changed since before 1983. It's not comparable. Your upper deck closing example really doesn't mean much now, because the fans are not the same fans.

The Flubs put up probably the worst stretch of baseball ever from 1984 until the end of the last century. Their payroll was always amongst the league low. And yet their attendance was always high.

Lip Man 1
12-08-2004, 01:38 AM
Let's see they made the post season in 1989, they made it again in 1998 and they made it a 4th time in 2003.

By my count that's one more then our beloved 'fiscally responsible' White Sox.

If the Cubs were garbage in that time period yet made four playoff appearances does that mean the Sox were worse since they only had three?

Just curious.....

Lip

pearso66
12-08-2004, 02:57 AM
Let's see they made the post season in 1989, they made it again in 1998 and they made it a 4th time in 2003.

If the Cubs were garbage in that time period yet made four playoff appearances does that mean the Sox were worse since they only had three?

Just curious.....

Lip
Wait, did you list 3 years, but pass it off as 4?

southsider17
12-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Wait, did you list 3 years, but pass it off as 4?
I think he included 1984 as well. Technically the sox have 4 division titles since and including 1983, as well, though one of them (1994) didn't include a playoff appearance because of the strike (plus it wasn't a full season).

munchman33
12-08-2004, 09:53 AM

Just curious.....

Lip
But Lip, the rest of those years they were absolutely horrid. Beyond belief. That had some seasons in there that if we had, half of our fanbase would actually leave the state.

But their fans still came out in droves.

Iwritecode
12-08-2004, 11:12 AM
It's all about marketing. Cubs "fans" don't care how much or how often the team wins. Half the time most of the people can walk out of the stadium and have no idea who won the game they just watched.

They read what a great place it was to be in a nationally circulated paper and decided to go.

When you play 80 games in a tourist attraction, it's not that difficult to keep attendance up...

sdwebguy
12-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Nomar is still trying to get the big payday after just ten months ago rejecting $60million/4years from the Red Sox and writing his ticket out of town. It appears according to the Tribune that he turned down a long term deal with the Angels (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-041207cubsnew,1,5051140.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines). This may not be the place to do this, but I wish him luck.

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 08:52 PM
I think Hendry's a good GM. But while the local media can't wait to kiss his ass about what a great job he did, there's one thing they haven't noticed. This is the same offense they had last year! The same offense that Cubs fans complained about at the end of the year as being too HR reliant and not having enough small-ball guys. Yet 7 of 8 offensive positions will likely be the same. Unless Hendry finds a guy to play left who can single-handedly change the makeup of their lineup, they have the same type of lineup.

IMO, Hendry would have been wiser to let Walker go and either take a chance on Womack or pursue Polanco. For that matter, while I think Nomar is a better offensive shortstop, Renteria might have been a better fit for the Cubs. I think he should have changed up their middle infield. Not that I mind. I look forward to Cubs fans complaining in June about how the offense is just too HR reliant and how Hendry didn't address the Cubs need for a more fundamentally sound team. :smile:

Tragg
12-09-2004, 01:54 AM

It was reported Walker was on the Sox radar screen.For a mere 10-13 million a year, he has the worst DP combination in baseball; that really is pretty hard to match.

I'm almost ready to predict a Orioles/Mets "worst team money can buy" collapse out of the cubs this season; I'll wait until I see his later moves until I make that prediction official. Key to that prediction is keeping samme. Now I will ask a "how did he do that" if he convinces someone to take a Clean samme off his hands - that would be an accomplishment. I simply don't think there are that many GMs in the league who have the money, and who are sufficiently naive to take that contract.