PDA

View Full Version : Sox a .500 team again in 2005.

cheeses_h_rice
12-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Anyone else looking forward to our third place finish next year? I sure am.

:gulp:

SoxxoS
12-07-2004, 12:13 PM
I just hope Bradke signs with someone else outside this freakin division...I am sick of looking at him.

I am looking forward to this season, and I will deal with .500 at THE END OF THE SEASON. That is the time to talk about it. Why be pessimistic before the season starts?

mjharrison72
12-07-2004, 12:14 PM

:gulp:You don't think it's still too early for such pessimism? They haven't even held the winter meetings yet!

HomeFish
12-07-2004, 12:14 PM
I am looking forward to this season, and I will deal with .500 at THE END OF THE SEASON. That is the time to talk about it. Why be pessimistic before the season starts?

Why delude ourselves now?

cheeses_h_rice
12-07-2004, 12:17 PM
You don't think it's still too early for such pessimism? They haven't even held the winter meetings yet!
Just a hunch. I think I'd rather enter the 2005 season with no expectations and be pleasantly surprised than to think this bunch of chumps has any chance and end up like I did in 2004, 2003, 2002 and 2001.

Jjav829
12-07-2004, 12:17 PM

:gulp:Wow! Look who's back from the dead. :smile:

BTW, 4th place isn't completely out of the question. Still a whole offseason for Detroit to work with. :(:

cheeses_h_rice
12-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Wow! Look who's back from the dead. :smile:
I needed a break. What can I say?

fquaye149
12-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Wow! Look who's back from the dead. :smile:

BTW, 4th place isn't completely out of the question. Still a whole offseason for Detroit to work with. :(:
can a team realistically add five starting pitchers in one offseason?

barring that....

jabrch
12-07-2004, 01:08 PM
We got Third Place already for 2005? Let's not bother playing the games. Good thing I won't have to spend any money at the park this year...

JB98
12-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Just a hunch. I think I'd rather enter the 2005 season with no expectations and be pleasantly surprised than to think this bunch of chumps has any chance and end up like I did in 2004, 2003, 2002 and 2001.
I agree that's the attitude to take. In order for me to be optimistic, KW would have to add a starting pitcher, a relief pitcher, a catcher, a second baseman and a rightfielder. And he'd have to do all those things without trading CLee or PK. Obviously, I'm not holding my breath....

NonetheLoaiza
12-07-2004, 01:13 PM
cmon, .500? i think its been proven we consistently win 2 or 3 games better.

HITMEN OF 77
12-07-2004, 01:21 PM
I honestly think if we get a #5 starter we can win the division. All the #5 guy has to do is not go out there and get shelled for 7 runs the frist 2 innings (like every game last year) and we can win 50% of the games we lost last year in the #5 spot.

chisoxmike
12-07-2004, 01:38 PM
If we just get a #5 starter, and a guy or two in the bullpen, NOT COUNTING Munoz, Barajuasflasfhos. And keep Konerko, and Lee, we should be alright. If Lee or Konerko go, where's the thunder?

:rowand
Still hasn't proved that he can put up consistant numbers.

:hurt
When does he come back, will he be 100%?

:everett:
I don't think he'll bat over .260 all year.

(We need a Uribe tag.) Uribe is streaky.

:crede
"Hi guys."
But they fixed the swing flaw!!!

cheeses_h_rice
12-07-2004, 01:43 PM
I have a feeling Frank won't be back in the lineup until June or July.

Who's our right fielder? Everett? Borchard?

Aaron Rowand, meet Mr. Reversion To the Mean.

Who's our shortstop/2B combo?

Is Joe Crede really going to be back at 3B this year?

Who's our 5th starter?

Brian26
12-07-2004, 01:44 PM

Could be 4th actually.

santo=dorf
12-07-2004, 02:42 PM

Where the hell have you been?

Didn't you pick the Sox to finish in third last year behind the Twins and Royals? :redface:

cheeses_h_rice
12-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Where the hell have you been?

Didn't you pick the Sox to finish in third last year behind the Twins and Royals? :redface:
I was away. Mentally, at least. This team will do that to you.

And yeah, I did pick the Sox in 3rd with 77 wins for 2004 -- I should have known that they would do their usual late-season surge when all the pressure is off. I did way overestimate KC, though; ouch.

gosox41
12-07-2004, 03:01 PM

Even though I am bery pessmistic about KW, it is early. KW does have some $$$ to spend so I'm interested to see what he does in what may be his final season as GM.

Bob

I_Liked_Manuel
12-07-2004, 03:10 PM
i've come to the realization that it is unlikely for the white sox to ever finish more than 5 games over or under the 82 win mark

CubKilla
12-07-2004, 03:12 PM
I was away. Mentally, at least. This team will do that to you.

And yeah, I did pick the Sox in 3rd with 77 wins for 2004 -- I should have known that they would do their usual late-season surge when all the pressure is off. I did way overestimate KC, though; ouch.
You were right on Minnesota at least :wink:

santo=dorf
12-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Even though I am bery pessmistic about KW, it is early. KW does have some $$$ to spend so I'm interested to see what he does in what may be his final season as GM.

Bob
It's really sad to see some "Sox" fans rooting for the team to go down in flames so someone can lose their job rather than root for the team to win the World Series.

Give it a rest already. We get your ****ing point. You don't like Williams.

CubKilla
12-07-2004, 03:16 PM
I agree that's the attitude to take. In order for me to be optimistic, KW would have to add a starting pitcher, a relief pitcher, a catcher, a second baseman and a rightfielder. And he'd have to do all those things without trading CLee or PK. Obviously, I'm not holding my breath....And people say me and Lip are the pessimists :D: .

I agree with the SP, RP, 2B, and RF spots. Those are 4 positions that absolutely need to be addressed. I think Matheny is a one in a million shot at best. KW has deluded himself into thinking he fleeced Seattle having them throw in B. Davis so I'm not looking for KW to address the C position seeing as we were possibly outbid for Kendall's services.

More than likely, Kendall didn't want to play for the White Sox just like every other FA/player of consequence.

CubKilla
12-07-2004, 03:18 PM
It's really sad to see some "Sox" fans rooting for the team to go down in flames so someone can lose their job rather than root for the team to win the World Series.

Give it a rest already. We get your ****ing point. You don't like Williams.
Too bad "go(ing) down in flames" is more likely every year than the White Sox "win(ning) the World Series."

Gosox1917
12-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Thank god none of you guys actually play for the White Sox. I sure hope Frank Thomas doesn't have this attitude of "third place would be ok this season." . I expect this team to end in first or at least die trying every season. Usually, they don't and I'm left in a world of misery. But anyway, maybe the bullpen will hold up, maybe KW will sign Clement and/or Wright. Maybe Carl will be healthy and hit 30 HR's. Maybe this is the year Crede breaks out. I'm just optimistic I guess.

On a final note...

LET'S GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!:bandance: :) :bandance:

voodoochile
12-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Thank god none of you guys actually play for the White Sox. I sure hope Frank Thomas doesn't have this attitude of "third place would be ok this season." . I expect this team to end in first or at least die trying every season. Usually, they don't and I'm left in a world of misery. But anyway, maybe the bullpen will hold up, maybe KW will sign Clement and/or Wright. Maybe Carl will be healthy and hit 30 HR's. Maybe this is the year Crede breaks out. I'm just optimistic I guess.

I think everyone would love to see all of those things happen and if/when the Sox are in first place in July, this place will have plenty of optimists, but right now the team is clearly worse on many levels than it was last year. Yes, they have 4 solid starters, but the loss of Magglio and the uncertainty surrounding Frank's health and the need for several players who have never been star performers to suddenly start playing like they are doesn't leave most of us jumping up and down.

These two haven't helped matters either...

:KW
"We want RJ... um... he's not coming...
We want Omar... damn...
We want Kendell... shucks...
We want (insert name here)..."

:reinsy
"We can't afford $1 if we... no that's really all I have to say... We just can't :dunno:"

Nick@Nite
12-07-2004, 06:19 PM
The '05 season is over with already?

:whatever:

MRKARNO
12-07-2004, 06:35 PM
The eternal optimist that I am, I think the Sox will have another good opportunity to take this division in 2005. If Thomas is healthy, we will compete because our pitching staff is better than it was in the recent past. I will hold off until after the FA signings, but I think we wont be in such bad shape as some people here are predicting:D:

StillMissOzzie
12-07-2004, 06:46 PM

"Looking forward to" suggests eager anticipation, which I am definitely NOT, but I sure hope KW does something this off-season. The Sox couldn't even beat the Tigers when they sucked, and now they're boosting payroll to $80M!

If the Tigers can get an $80M payroll, why can't the Sox?

:pee :reinsy

Never mind.

SMO
:angry:

California Sox
12-07-2004, 06:59 PM
I think the Sox could compete if everything breaks their way in 2005, but obviously the talent level has dropped a lot in the last couple of years. That said, even a .500 season would be okay with me if I felt like we were building a solid team for the future. I look forward to seeing Bmac's debut in late June/early July. We may also see Anderson this year, and if Konerko is traded, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rogo get some AB's in September. :smile:

Hangar18
12-07-2004, 07:06 PM
can a team realistically add five starting pitchers in one offseason?

Heh heh, can a Team Realistically Keep Ignoring one 5th Starter in many offseasons?

chisoxmike
12-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Even with the questions marks, I still think this team will be above .500. Where that lands them, I don't know. The freakin' season hasn't started, and its December, KW manages to surprise me when everything looks shot to hell. Lets not forget that in 2003, they were in 1st place until the meltdown that I'll never forget. In 2004 they were in 1st place on July 24, the Twins came in and schooled the sox in every aspect of the game, they got hot when we got cold, and the injuries caught up to us. In 2005, I EXPECT this team to compete, I EXPECT this team finishing below .500 is not accepted.

Hangar18
12-07-2004, 07:12 PM
The eternal optimist that I am, I think the Sox will have another good opportunity to take this division in 2005. If Thomas is healthy, we will compete because our pitching staff is better than it was in the recent past. I will hold off until after the FA signings, but I think we wont be in such bad shape as some people here are predicting:D:
The SOX shoudlve been "TAKING" this division since 2000, but they kept CREATING HOLES for themselves, and NOT filling others. Case in point.
The Pitching staff. YES, finally the staff looks decent, but we shouldve
been doing this after the 2000 season, after 4/5 of the staff had injuries.

The SOX are ALSO holding off until after the FA signings.....Holding off
til everyone else signs them and theres nobody left.

Hangar18
12-07-2004, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=chisoxmike] Lets not forget that in 2003, they were in 1st place until the meltdown that I'll never forget.
In 2004 they were in 1st place on July 24, the Twins came in and schooled the sox in every aspect of the game, they got hot when we got cold, and the injuries caught up to us.
QUOTE]

2003 was just bad luck. But hey, thats what you play for ..... you play to be
in a position for something special to happen. We choked down the stretch,
but remember the Terrible Start we had, that forced the SOX to have to play
.800 ball the rest of the way. We ALMOST did it, but blame Jerry Manuels
foolish lineups and lack of reaction time to benching/playing certain players.

2004 was smoke and mirrors. The SOX tried to cheapskate their way to the
division (not having learned their lessons in 2001, 2002) by not filling ANY of their holes, Creating others, and letting our Bullpen and Bench wither away.
You cant do that in the American League. In NL you can get away with it,
but not in the AL. The SOX were a ticking timebomb, due to be exposed
by better teams, and we were. Our Bullpen (Koch and Jackson) and lack a
bench (ask the Red Sox and Cardinals how important a bench is) showed
the SOX as Frauds.

Will this be the season that Uncle Jerry and KW LEARN from their mistakes?
heck, just mimic the good teams .......... do something for crying out loud!!!

faneidde
12-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Its going to be very tough to finish ahead of either the Twins for the division or the Yankees/Red Sox for the wild card. I am not trying to be a pessimist, but short of adding two impact bats and a solid starter, I just don't see this team doing better than last years squad. I also think the Twins and Tigers will slightly improved and the Indians much improved. Because our division will be tougher, it makes it almost impossible to win the wild card. And the Twins just seem to have our number. I'd put the odds of a White Sox playoff appearance right now at about 4-1.

Lip Man 1
12-07-2004, 07:59 PM
By all accounts Thomas is not going to be ready for the start of the season. Right now Williams has a lot of work to do regarding a 5th starter, the bullpen, 2nd base, catcher, right field and possibly 3rd base.

That's a lot of holes to fill.

Right now anything is possible but if you look at the talent on the roster it's hard to imagine that everything is going to go their way, that Thomas will be back on time and that no one else will get hurt.

It's stretching to say they can win the division right now without garnering additional pieces of talent...(not potential)

Lip

Dan H
12-08-2004, 11:19 AM
By all accounts Thomas is not going to be ready for the start of the season. Right now Williams has a lot of work to do regarding a 5th starter, the bullpen, 2nd base, catcher, right field and possibly 3rd base.

That's a lot of holes to fill.

Right now anything is possible but if you look at the talent on the roster it's hard to imagine that everything is going to go their way, that Thomas will be back on time and that no one else will get hurt.

It's stretching to say they can win the division right now without garnering additional pieces of talent...(not potential)

Lip
I agree with this assessment. Many fans wrote off last year because Ordonez and Thomas were gone. Now Ordonez is gone for good and no one knows when Thomas is returning. Otherwise, the team has question marks everywhere.

Williams has a big challenge this off season. Just a token effort won't improve this team.

bobj4400
12-08-2004, 12:23 PM
I just hope Bradke signs with someone else outside this freakin division...I am sick of looking at him.

No soup for you.