PDA

View Full Version : Gammons: Wright deal could get done quickly

Jjav829
12-07-2004, 07:59 AM
Gammons says in his latest column that there are rumblings that a Jaret Wright deal could get done quickly, perhaps as soon as Wednesday. He seems to name the Sox as the favorites to sign him, with the Mariners perhaps having a shot.

It's an interesting column with a lot of nuggets. Flight already posted the part about non-tenders, but I felt this deserved its own thread because of some of the other things Gammons bring up. Other things I found interesting...

Gammons says that Boston might shop Kevin Millar. I hope KW takes a look at him, if true. He's under contract for $3.5 million next year. He'd be a good replacement if someone like Konerko or Lee is traded. He'd thrive at the Cell, then again, who wouldn't. He'd be a great fit for the clubhouse. I think the Sox could use a guy like him around.

Gammons also mentions that other AL GMs are predicting Detroit's payroll could go as high as $80 million. :o: There's goes of us having the highest payroll in the AL central as an excuse for not spending.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1940044)

Jjav829
12-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Also, FWIW, the New York Daily News projects Jaret Wright's value at 3 year, $6-7 million. Basically the same thing many people here have been guessing.

Link (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/259579p-222336c.html)

Bobby Thigpen
12-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Millar would be an absolutely great addition, even if Pauly or Carlos is not traded. I've always admired his heart and ability.

Dolanski
12-07-2004, 09:07 AM
Millar would be an absolutely great addition, even if Pauly or Carlos is not traded. I've always admired his heart and ability.
Millar is a good clubhouse guy and all around good guy for that matter, but his defense is suspect. There is NO REASON to get a Kevin Millar unless you trade PK. And if you don't, Millar is exactly NOT what this team needs, yet another 1b/DH with little to no baserunning ability...

southsider17
12-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Millar is a good clubhouse guy and all around good guy for that matter, but his defense is suspect. There is NO REASON to get a Kevin Millar unless you trade PK. And if you don't, Millar is exactly NOT what this team needs, yet another 1b/DH with little to no baserunning ability...
Well said!

munchman33
12-07-2004, 09:12 AM
It's going to be real funny when Detroit takes that $80 million payroll straight to fourth place. :D:

JRIG
12-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Also, FWIW, the New York Daily News projects Jaret Wright's value at 3 year, $6-7 million. Basically the same thing many people here have been guessing.

Link (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/259579p-222336c.html)
Boy, I just can't see giving out that kind of contract to Wright, who has had one good year since 1998 and was pitching under Leo Mazzone last year. Especially when, according to the paper, Matt Clement can be had for that much or less. He's been real good the past three seasons with a similar K rate to Wright.

Mickster
12-07-2004, 09:18 AM
It's going to be real funny when Detroit takes that $80 million payroll straight to fourth place. :D:
......almost as funny as when the Sox take their $75M payroll straight to 5th place!

Tekijawa
12-07-2004, 09:20 AM
They only way they finish fourth is if they slip and tie us in the standings the last week of the season.

GAsoxfan
12-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Boy, I just can't see giving out that kind of contract to Wright, who has had one good year since 1998 and was pitching under Leo Mazzone last year. Especially when, according to the paper, Matt Clement can be had for that much or less. He's been real good the past three seasons with a similar K rate to Wright.
I agree that giving Wright a contract would be risky after only one good season, but I think he'll end up being worth it. I live in Atlanta, and Leo does a radio spot once a week during the season, and he was asked about Wright several times. He said Wright's problem was he was throwing too hard. Leo said Wright was throwing not pitching. Leo taught him to take a few MPH off his pitches, which led to improved accuracy and movement. It wasn't that Wright never had the talent, he just didn't know how to use it properly. This past year Wright finally learned how to pitch.

I feel the problems Wright had have been fixed, and I believe he'll continue to be an effective pitcher.

SoxFanTillDeath
12-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Honestly, I'd take either over Grilli. With the Sox chances of getting ANY pitcher here in town, I'm no longer picky. Give me Clement or give me Wright, but please solve this 5th starter problem BEFORE the season starts this year...

voodoochile
12-07-2004, 11:56 AM
All the ****W and UJ himself better hope so...:?:

fquaye149
12-07-2004, 12:00 PM
wow - for a sox board, a lot of people have been drinking the tigers kool-aid.

i still don't see a semblance of a rotation.

anyone remember the 2004 royals who were supposed to be world beaters...

just forgot about ONE thing.....

voodoochile
12-07-2004, 12:06 PM

Don't the Tigers have a TON of good young pitchers who have at least shown flashes on the Marjor League level?

batmanZoSo
12-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Gammons says in his latest column that there are rumblings that a Jaret Wright deal could get done quickly, perhaps as soon as Wednesday. He seems to name the Sox as the favorites to sign him, with the Mariners perhaps having a shot.

It's an interesting column with a lot of nuggets. Flight already posted the part about non-tenders, but I felt this deserved its own thread because of some of the other things Gammons bring up. Other things I found interesting...

Gammons says that Boston might shop Kevin Millar. I hope KW takes a look at him, if true. He's under contract for $3.5 million next year. He'd be a good replacement if someone like Konerko or Lee is traded. He'd thrive at the Cell, then again, who wouldn't. He'd be a great fit for the clubhouse. I think the Sox could use a guy like him around.

Gammons also mentions that other AL GMs are predicting Detroit's payroll could go as high as $80 million. :o: There's goes of us having the highest payroll in the AL central as an excuse for not spending.

He's a perfect replacement for Konerko in a money saving move. He makes less than half and he can hit good enough. If we also sign Jaret Wright and some more pitching in the hypothetical Konerko deal, we'd be in business.

12-07-2004, 12:09 PM
I'll say it now, I think Wright and Dye will be our 2 off season signings and maybe a cheap Veteran 2nd baseman and Bullpen help.

Harris
Rowand
Frank/Carl
Dye
Lee
Paulie
Uribe
Crede
Davis

Garcia
Buherle
Wright
Contreras
Garland

It could be a lot worse!!!!

chisoxmike
12-07-2004, 12:17 PM

I thought the Royals were going to win the central this year, we all know how that ended. I'm torn with the Tigers. I don't think ther pitching staff is good, even with signing Percival, there will be nothing for him to save. I think, too, he's not as good as he used to be.

The problem is that the teams in the Central, (Twins, Indians, Tigers) are, or at least trying to fill their holes.They aren't pissing off the agents of top players, and they are trying or are keeping their good players. All of this leads to IMPROVING YOUR TEAM. It would not surprise me at all if Wright signs with the Mariners, and Clement goes to the Indians or Tigers. If that happens, then what Kenny?
TO JR AND KW: ACT NOW, SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED!

chisoxmike
12-07-2004, 12:19 PM
I'll say it now, I think Wright and Dye will be our 2 off season signings and maybe a cheap Veteran 2nd baseman and Bullpen help.

Harris
Rowand
Frank/Carl
Dye
Lee
Paulie
Uribe
Crede
Davis

Garcia
Buherle
Wright
Contreras
Garland

It could be a lot worse!!!!Thats not even bad. I would like to see Burke play a little more in 05. Make the move Kenny, for the love of god make the move and save the sox!

Win1ForMe
12-07-2004, 01:23 PM
That Gammons column was interesting. If the Angels are serious about signing Cabrera or Renteria, then they would likely have to trade Eckstein. I would love for us to make a play for him. Seems like the type of small-ball player Ozzie likes.

MisterB
12-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Don't the Tigers have a TON of good young pitchers who have at least shown flashes on the Marjor League level?No. From BA's chat on the Tigers prospects:

Q: Chris from Toledo asks:
Pat, obviously the Tiger's minor league system ranks near bottom in postition player prospects and rates higher in pitching prospects. When you throw in the 25 and under talent at the big league level right now (Bonderman, Ledezma, Infante, Shelton, Logan, German, Novoa) - do you think the Tiger's rate a little higher with other organizations in terms of overall talent 25 and under?

A: Moderator: bonderman and Infante are potential star players. Ledezma has chance as well. The others you mentioned are limited. Novoa is the best of the bunch. The others are marginal prospects at best.

Q: Anthony Peruchietti from Dearborn Heights, MI asks:
How do the Tigers Top 10 compare with the other teams Top 10 in the Division?

A: Pat Caputo: the others are all better...much better...
Pitching-wise the Tigers have Bonderman, Ledezma and maybe Roberto Novoa that can potentially help them, but that's it for their young pitchers. Their upper minors are at least as barren as the Sox (and probably moreso).

ps: Infante is an infielder, not a pitcher.

voodoochile
12-07-2004, 01:32 PM
No. From BA's chat on the Tigers prospects:

Pitching-wise the Tigers have Bonderman, Ledezma and maybe Roberto Novoa that can potentially help them, but that's it for their young pitchers. Their upper minors are at least as barren as the Sox (and probably moreso).

ps: Infante is an infielder, not a pitcher.
I'm probably going to get laughed at, but I always liked Cornejo's stuff too and they have 3 young guys in the bullpen who can all throw hard and heavy stuff, IIRC.

In the ALC, that may be enough.

santo=dorf
12-07-2004, 01:41 PM
I'm probably going to get laughed at, but I always liked Cornejo's stuff too and they have 3 young guys in the bullpen who can all throw hard and heavy stuff, IIRC.

In the ALC, that may be enough.Uncle Fester? or The Emperor?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_407074.jpg

Cornejo only dominates us, and for some reason, he can't strike anyone out. Look at his career numbers : http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=407074
How much of a factor do you think their home ballpark has on them?

MisterB
12-07-2004, 01:47 PM
How much of a factor do you think their home ballpark has on them?
Even with the new fences Comerica favors pitchers, and the Tigers STILL had the second worst ERA in the AL (only KC was worse).

depy48
12-07-2004, 02:24 PM
the article also notes that jarod washburn might be non tendered, there's a guy who has been on kw's radar for a long time. i wouldnt mind seeing him pitch on the south side

fquaye149
12-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Don't the Tigers have a TON of good young pitchers who have at least shown flashes on the Marjor League level?
Yes, they've shown flashes. BRIEF flashes....and they're two of them one year removed from 20 game losing seasons...

Mike Maroth, Jeremy Bonderman and co.

Their staff's best ERA last year was 4.31

OEO Magglio
12-07-2004, 03:50 PM
If we can sign Jaret for 5 or 6 mill per year, I'll be a happy camper.

santo=dorf
12-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Yes, they've shown flashes. BRIEF flashes....and they're two of them one year removed from 20 game losing seasons...

Mike Maroth, Jeremy Bonderman and co.

Their staff's best ERA last year was 4.31
Unfortunately those flashes were against us. :anon:

voodoochile
12-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Unfortunately those flashes were against us. :anon:
Probably why I have that perception... :D:

ChiSoxBobette
12-08-2004, 06:28 AM

As usual Peter Gammons is wrong!

wdelaney72
12-08-2004, 07:50 AM
Jaret a Yankee.

This puts Kenny on Plan C.

Jjav829
12-08-2004, 08:09 AM
As usual Peter Gammons is wrong!Well, he was half right. Wright did sign quickly. His parenthetical speculation on the signing team was wrong though.

jabrch
12-08-2004, 08:22 AM
Sounds a bit high priced for a guy who is often injured and doesn't have a history that includes consecutive seasonss with over 140 IP, and only holds 2 seasons of 175 IP spread apart by 6 years. There are better FA pitchers out there.

I'm thinking Clement might be my #1 choice. He should get the same type of money as Wright? I'd still happily take Vazquez and some cash off the Yanks hands.

12-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Mike North said on the score this AM that Kenny Williams is like a kid who lives in the Ghetto and wants a Porshe...but his parents can't afford one.....Wrong...his parents can afford one they are just too cheap to buy one....Wright is gone, I admit I'm getting flashbacks of last year, and I think Paulie and Garland for Vasquez is too much....I would do Paulie and Garland for Vazquez and Hillenbrand because Shea can play 1st and 3rd (If Crede bites it AGAIN)....and I read that the Rangers have Dye as there #1 priority so his chances are dimming too....

Foulke29
12-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Is Gammons ever right?