PDA

View Full Version : Please explain ......

southsider17
12-06-2004, 10:33 PM
1) .... the non-tendering deadline. I understand the arbitration deadline but not this one.

2) How can the Astros continue to negotiate with Beltran after the arbitration deadline if they haven't offered him arbitration (or have they)? Does this have to do with the "type" of free agent he is (A, B, C, etc.)?

3) What determines a Type A from a Type B free agent (and C)?

Thanks in advance for any info. :?:

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2004, 10:49 PM
1) .... the non-tendering deadline. I understand the arbitration deadline but not this one.

2) How can the Astros continue to negotiate with Beltran after the arbitration deadline if they haven't offered him arbitration (or have they)? Does this have to do with the "type" of free agent he is (A, B, C, etc.)?

3) What determines a Type A from a Type B free agent (and C)?

Thanks in advance for any info. :?:1) The non-tendering deadline is like the arbitration deadline, except it applies to players who are arbitration-eligible but not yet eligible for free agency. Teams have until Dec 20 to sign them or offer arbitration. If they do neither, he becomes a FA.

2) The Astros have until the end of the day (Eastern time) on Dec 7 to either sign Beltran or offer arbitration. If they do neither, they cannot re-sign him until May 1. The type of FA doesn't enter into play.

3) Free agent types are based on ranking within position groups over a two year period. The top 30% are Type A, the next 20% are Type B and the next 10% are Type C. Players in the bottom 40% are not "typed" and teams that lose FA in this group get no draft pick compensation.

southsider17
12-06-2004, 10:56 PM
2) The Astros have until the end of the day (Eastern time) on Dec 7 to either sign Beltran or offer arbitration. If they do neither, they cannot re-sign him until May 1. The type of FA doesn't enter into play.
Thanks. But if the Astros offer him arbitration and he declines (which he would do) then what? Other sites make it sound like the Astros will be in the thick of the Beltran race into mid-January. I'm just trying to figure out how that could happen.

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks. But if the Astros offer him arbitration and he declines (which he would do) then what? Other sites make it sound like the Astros will be in the thick of the Beltran race into mid-January. I'm just trying to figure out how that could happen.If they offer arbitration, the player has until Dec 19 to accept or decline. Even if he declines, the Club has until Jan 8 to continue to negotiate with him.

southsider17
12-06-2004, 11:11 PM
If they offer arbitration, the player has until Dec 19 to accept or decline. Even if he declines, the Club has until Jan 8 to continue to negotiate with him.
Thaaaaaaat's what I was looking for! Thanks a bunch. :smile:

blesto-v
12-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Hey, south......

Good discussion between you and #2.......

Much easier to follow than on the BBF site.....

I can see why knowing how to go about NOT signing people would be important on a Sox site......:kneeslap:

:santo

southsider17
12-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Hey, south......

I can see why knowing how to go about NOT signing people would be important on a Sox site......:kneeslap:

Here's what I think of your post:

:pee

Ol' No. 2
12-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Hey, south......

:santoYou mean like being smart enough NOT to give a huge long-term contract to a sterod-pumped clown? Or to an overrated pitcher who never won more than 14 games in his life? Those kind of people?

voodoochile
12-07-2004, 11:45 AM
Hey, south......

Okay, that's trolling. You get one warning, period.

FarWestChicago
12-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Okay, that's trolling. You get one warning, period.I vote for whacking him.

voodoochile
12-07-2004, 01:00 PM
I vote for whacking him.
Since when was this a democracy? You want to whack the troll, knock yourself out. I was giving him one chance because PHG had already given him a pass when he announced his affiliation and invited him to stick around if he played nicely.

I thought I'd give him one example of how NOT to play nicely before tossing him out of here.

But, it's probably inevitable. Most non-Sox fans just can't help themselves...

FarWestChicago
12-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Since when was this a democracy? You want to whack the troll, knock yourself out. I was giving him one chance because PHG had already given him a pass when he announced his affiliation and invited him to stick around if he played nicely.

I thought I'd give him one example of how NOT to play nicely before tossing him out of here.

But, it's probably inevitable. Most non-Sox fans just can't help themselves...I'm the anti-Selig. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Daver
12-07-2004, 06:16 PM
I vote for whacking him.
Seconded.

santo=dorf
12-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Seconded.
What comes after "THWANG?" :D:

ode to veeck
12-07-2004, 07:19 PM
What comes after "THWANG?"
If a Arrowbutted Scrubs fan falls in the forest, can anybody hear it?