PDA

View Full Version : CONFIRMED: RJ not coming to Sox

Erik The Red
12-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Just announced on WMVP during a sportscenter update.

southsider17
12-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Good! I didn't like the "big pile of dirt in one hole vs. a little pile of dirt in all the holes" approach anyways.

:D:

12-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Good, let move on already

Justafan
Like he ever was? Not at all surprised.

DaveIsHere
That is great news, it sounded like they would have to give up way too much to get him anyway, plus he probably didnt want to come here anyway.

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Just announced on WMVP during a sportscenter update.And did they happen to say how they knew this?

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Good. Especially after hearing that Frank Thomas might not be ready for the start of the season. You thought our offense was bad last year without Frank and Maggs? It'd be even worse without Frank, Maggs, and Paulie!

mantis1212
12-06-2004, 05:12 PM
With this kind of evidence, I'm convinced.

Seriously, who said it, what was the reason, how about some details man!

serena
12-06-2004, 05:15 PM
I heard it. The Chicago update guy said it (sorry, don't know his name) and seriously, this is all he said --

"Kenny Williams has confirmed that Randy Johnson will not be coming to the southside." :?:

One sentence. That's it.

Flight #24
12-06-2004, 05:15 PM
I heard the report. Here's their detailed, investigative breakdown:

"Kenny Williams confirms Randy Johnson will not be coming to the South Side"

That's it, a throwaway line during a "sportscenter update" as they went to commercial. No quote, no discussion, nothing.

Obviously, the odds are still against it, but this seems to me a lot like the Spankees "pulling out of the RJ trade derby". DBacks probably said "Konerko+Garland+Anderson+BMac", and Kenny said "thanks, but no thanks".

santo=dorf
12-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Good. Especially after hearing that Frank Thomas might not be ready for the start of the season. You thought our offense was bad last year without Frank and Maggs? It'd be even worse without Frank, Maggs, and Paulie!
Paulie isn't a factor with offense regardless when they are on the road. With RJ pitching, it would be more likely that the Sox offense wouldn't have to score as many runs compared to when Garland is on the mound.

:mad:

:reinsy
"I'm a good neighbor! I swear!"

Hangar18
12-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Why am I NOT surprised? The time to have gotten him was back when
Seattle was ready to deal him. I will say this. A certain "contact" I have
told me weeks ago that Randy Johnson DIDNT at any cost, want to come
to the White Sox. Why? Because he wants to go to a "Winner" or a team
that was REALISTICALLY trying to win. Cant argue with the Big Units perception of the White Sox. And if this ISNT the way the SOX want to be Perceived ........ THAN SHAME ON THEM FOR DOING NOTHING TO PUT THAT IDEA TO REST. that said, lets move on ......... im sure there are some B and C level pitchers available .........

Justafan
12-06-2004, 05:21 PM
The only thing I can gather from Williams statement is that the DBacks were asking for too much in return or RJ wanted a contract extension. Let the Grilli era begin.

Flight #24
12-06-2004, 05:24 PM
The only thing I can gather from Williams statement is that the DBacks were asking for too much in return or RJ wanted a contract extension. Let the Grilli era begin.
More likely the Jaret Wright era.

Disappointing to step down from RJ, but Jaret Wright plus some others (RF, IF, Bullpen - likely after the non-tender deadline) is still enough to make the Sox co-favorites in the ALC unless Frank misses most of the year.

steff
12-06-2004, 05:26 PM
I will say this. A certain "contact" I have
told me weeks ago that Randy Johnson DIDNT at any cost, want to come
to the White Sox.

ROTFLMAO!!! :kneeslap: :roflmao:

"Someone"... :rolleyes: said the exact same thing last year. :anon:

12-06-2004, 05:26 PM
I would be more then happy going in with Garcia, Buherle, Wright, Garland and Contreras as long as we can get some solid bats

Justafan
12-06-2004, 05:28 PM
The Sox organization has taken such a beating that MOST top tier free agents want nothing to do with them. Players talk and I would not expect a glowing report from any former Sox players.

santo=dorf
12-06-2004, 05:29 PM
I recall hearing this story on more than one occasion, but didn't the Sox have a trade set up for RJ years ago that involved Bere, Baldwin and 3 other prospects? :?: I heard it was so close to happening that Robin Ventura bought a Sox jersey with RJ's name and number on it.

What the hell happened? :whiner:

:schueler
"Who needs Johnson or Clemens when you can have Doug Drabek and Jaime Navarro?"

santo=dorf
12-06-2004, 05:31 PM
ROTFLMAO!!! :kneeslap: :roflmao:

"Someone"... :rolleyes: said the exact same thing last year. :anon:
I know you're just joshing him, but Hangar did call a potential Bellhorn-Wunsch deal last spring before Reinsdorf later came out and said the trade wasn't made because of an injury. So he just might know a "somebody" in the Sox organization.

DMarte708
12-06-2004, 05:38 PM
"I just want to thank Mr. Reinsdorf and Ken Williams for bringing me back to the American League." --Randy Johnson after being traded to the White Sox on 12/11/04. Shouldn't this acceptance speech have been December 2? Atleast now you can permanantly remove this, opposed to changing the date when it passes.

Johnson obviously is seeking a trade scenario in which he joins a legitimate contender. Angels, New York, Cardinals are far superior organizations, and it was foolish to believe he'd ever want to pitch for the White Sox.

santo=dorf
12-06-2004, 05:40 PM
Johnson obviously search for a trade in which he joins a legitimate contender. Angels, New York, Cardinals are far superior organizations.
"So what's higher than a 'first class' organization?"

mweflen
:reinsy "I want to thank Randy Johnson for not coming here and blowing our 'perpetual 83-win rebuilding plan' all to hell..."

Ol' No. 2
Because he wants to go to a "Winner" or a team
that was REALISTICALLY trying to win.So he's choosing to stay in Arizona.:?:

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2004, 05:43 PM
The Sox organization has taken such a beating that MOST top tier free agents want nothing to do with them. Players talk and I would not expect a glowing report from any former Sox players.And you know this HOW???

Baby Fisk
12-06-2004, 05:43 PM
"So what's higher than a 'first class' organization?":ohno
"It's called a World Championship organiz--oh ****, why bother?! Another round over here please!"

steff
12-06-2004, 05:44 PM
I know you're just joshing him, but Hangar did call a potential Bellhorn-Wunsch deal last spring before Reinsdorf later came out and said the trade wasn't made because of an injury. So he just might know a "somebody" in the Sox organization.

Oh.. I know Henry knows people. They can't avoid him. :wink:

infohawk
12-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Good! I didn't like the "big pile of dirt in one hole vs. a little pile of dirt in all the holes" approach anyways.

:D:
Agreed. What the Sox need most of all is depth. Especially pitching depth. I'd be half-tempted to sign both a Jaret Wright and a Matt Clement. Garland could then be dealt for other needs or added to the bullpen as the right-handed set-up man. He'd be a waste as a long-man because he probably wouldn't be used enough in that role. Just off the top of my head, the Sox might be able to convert Garland on the trade block into at least a starting middle infielder. Baltimore is always looking for pitching. Perhaps we could get Hairston or Roberts. Not to rule out other possibilities for better trades (again I'm just shooting from the hip). My point is that this team can be vastly improved without a huge name addition. Look at the Twins. They play the game the right way, but they also have tremendous depth. Whenever the Sox replace someone, their is a significant drop-off in production and it hurts the team.

Justafan
12-06-2004, 05:48 PM
And you know this HOW???
It's a hunch. Call it a gut feeling.

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2004, 05:55 PM
It's a hunch. Call it a gut feeling.There's also another name for it.

soxwon
12-06-2004, 05:59 PM
More likely the Jaret Wright era.

Disappointing to step down from RJ, but Jaret Wright plus some others (RF, IF, Bullpen - likely after the non-tender deadline) is still enough to make the Sox co-favorites in the ALC unless Frank misses most of the year.
i dont want to be JUST a contender, i want to be in the SERIES next year.
make the moves we are only a few tweaks away.

serena
12-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Here's a yahoo story that quotes KW.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-whitesox-ordonez&prov=ap&type=lgns

One player he won't be pursuing is Randy Johnson, who has made it clear he doesn't want to pitch for the White Sox. The 41-year-old left-hander appears to want to leave the rebuilding Arizona Diamondbacks to pitch for a contender, but he also has a no-trade clause.
``I've been told he won't pitch on the South Side of Chicago,'' Williams said.

Jjav829
12-06-2004, 06:36 PM
O well. Go get Tim Hudson then! :bandance:

fquaye149
12-06-2004, 06:39 PM
forgive me if i don't cry, cry, cry 96 tears that we don't give up a starting pitcher for a starting pitcher.

white sox rotation + RJ - Garland = four starters last time i checked, no matter how upgraded one of the four would be.

Jjav829
12-06-2004, 06:45 PM
I heard the report. Here's their detailed, investigative breakdown:

"Kenny Williams confirms Randy Johnson will not be coming to the South Side"

That's it, a throwaway line during a "sportscenter update" as they went to commercial. No quote, no discussion, nothing.

Obviously, the odds are still against it, but this seems to me a lot like the Spankees "pulling out of the RJ trade derby". DBacks probably said "Konerko+Garland+Anderson+BMac", and Kenny said "thanks, but no thanks".
I doubt it. I think this is the end of that speculation. Time to move on. The Yankees pulled out because of asking price. Making up stories about players interest in your team is a good way to guarantee they don't want to join your club. Kenny has to be pretty damn confident that RJ won't come here to go public with this. A more likely situation than this being a ploy is Kenny pursued RJ as much as he could only to find out it isn't worth any more time because RJ won't accept a trade here. Knowing that the Sox interest in RJ has been widely spread, he decided to go public with RJ's wishes in order to let the fans know that the reason RJ won't be pitching for the Sox in 2005 isn't because of a lack of effort on the teams side, but rather because the player doesn't have interest in the club. I'm glad KW is doing this. I'm sure he gave it his best shot, but once it's apparent you're not going to win, move on. There are other options and I'd hate to see KW mess around with a lost cause until January only to finally give up when the likes of Hudson, Wright, Perez, etc. are gone.

Paulwny
12-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Don't worry, when all the fa dust settles, El Duque will be available.

CubKilla
12-06-2004, 07:50 PM
I'm floored by this news. First Kendall, now Johnson.

chisoxmike
12-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Fine. F 'em. Lets move on.

santo=dorf
12-06-2004, 08:21 PM
forgive me if i don't cry, cry, cry 96 tears that we don't give up a starting pitcher for a starting pitcher.

white sox rotation + RJ - Garland = four starters last time i checked, no matter how upgraded one of the four would be.Yeah, but with the report of Seattle only offering Wright 9 million over 3 years, we could sign him AND trade for RJ. Wright's money will (assuming we sign him) essentially be Omar's money.

Soxzilla
12-06-2004, 09:32 PM
:chickenlittle

God Kenny, Billy Beane could have got him!

I highly doubt that the Mariners are picking up Wright, since they reportedly just splurged the big bucks on Carlos Delgado. Could this mean Wright will be wearing pinstripes as soon as tommorow?:redneck

munchman33
12-06-2004, 09:39 PM
If true, this really dissappoints me. He's the one guy that if we got, I really thought we had a good chance at winning it all. But I haven't lost faith yet....

Soxzilla
12-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Dude ... I'm sorry munch, but it be's over. Let's move on and sign a good FA :).

And here are the 'terms' of the Delgado signing ... (Source not provided, I'm sorry).

Reports today that Carlos Delgado has agreed to come to the Seattle Mariners were verified when Carlos' agent, David Sloane, was quoted as stating that Delgado was no longer on the market. Delgado is scheduled to be in Seattle late Monday, early Tuesday for a physical. The Seattle Mariners have scheduled a press conference for 3pm, EST on Tuesday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

I'm suprised anyone would blow money on this loser.

santo=dorf
12-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Dude ... I'm sorry munch, but it be's over. Let's move on and sign a good FA :).

And here are the 'terms' of the Delgado signing ... (Source not provided, I'm sorry).

I'm suprised anyone would blow money on this loser.I'd take Carlos over Konerko. Hell, KW had a trade setup for Carlos last July but Delgado wouldn't waive his no trade clause. Let's just hope the money that was going to be spent on Delgado last season will go towards the 2005 payroll. :smile:

"What money?"

Soxzilla
12-06-2004, 09:57 PM
I'd take Carlos over Konerko. Hell, KW had a trade setup for Carlos last July but Delgado wouldn't waive his no trade clause. Let's just hope the money that was going to be spent on Delgado last season will go towards the 2005 payroll. :smile:

"What money?"
Not for the money, there is no way. He basically had similar production to Konerko ... yet he made over 19 million dollars, that is just assinine. I'll take Konerko and the extra 8 million any day of the week.

SOXSINCE'70
12-06-2004, 10:04 PM

Nice quote from one of the classic garage rock songs of
anyone who grew up in the 60's.That would be ? and The
Mysterians 1 hit wonder,1966's "96 Tears".
("You're gonna cry,cry,cry,cry,cry 96 Tears").

Very clever.Kudos to you for the reference.:D: :cool: :bandance: :bandance:

Jjav829
12-06-2004, 10:21 PM

I'm suprised anyone would blow money on this loser.That's fake. Delgado hasn't agreed to anything yet.

Soxzilla
12-06-2004, 11:01 PM
That's fake. Delgado hasn't agreed to anything yet.
Oh alright, we'll I guess we will see.

I hope he has though.:cool:

Mohoney
12-06-2004, 11:19 PM
i dont want to be JUST a contender, i want to be in the SERIES next year.
With a side of world peace and a Stanley Cup for dessert.

munchman33
12-06-2004, 11:47 PM
I'd much rather have Konerko than Carlos Delgado. And I'm one of the guys that really wants to get rid of Konerko.

thepaulbowski
12-07-2004, 12:05 AM
The same folks who told us Mike Shannan was on campus in 2001 to be hired by Notre Dame & Bucky Dent was to be hired as the manager of the Sox instead of JM.

OurBitchinMinny
12-07-2004, 03:00 AM
Good KW was going to give up way too much for a 41 year old who is winding down his career. Would he have helped next year? yeah but not for what they would have given up.

Foulke You
12-07-2004, 03:19 AM
Well, I'm certainly disappointed to hear this news. I'm starting to think RJ doesn't really want to leave the desert. I've heard the rumors that he is happy living there and he does already have a ring. It seems he only would go to the Yanks and now that looks unlikely, so by saying no to the White Sox, he is effectively saying yes to another year in Arizona in my mind...until the trade deadline rolls around that is...

Time for KW to move on. We need another pitcher somehow. Ugh...I just realized, this also means we're probably stuck with Garland another year.:(:

Nate_in_Kansas
12-07-2004, 03:32 AM
My point is that this team can be vastly improved without a huge name addition. Look at the Twins. They play the game the right way, but they also have tremendous depth. Whenever the Sox replace someone, their is a significant drop-off in production and it hurts the team. This makes so much sense I want to pinch myself...SOMEONE FINALLY GETS IT!

Soxzilla
12-07-2004, 08:41 AM
I'd much rather have Konerko than Carlos Delgado. And I'm one of the guys that really wants to get rid of Konerko.
Why? In god's name why?

I'd rather give Gloads Choadz a chance at first if we dumped Wheels.

cornball
12-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Johnson wants to play for a team that has a chance to win it all, therefore eliminates the Sox. Do any players of this caliber believe the Sox are serious about winning?

gosox41
12-07-2004, 09:55 AM
WIth RJ and Vizquel gone, it'll be interesting to see KW's Plan B. That is assuming he has a Plan B that involves more then doing nothing.

Bob

munchman33
12-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Why? In god's name why?

I'd rather give Gloads Choadz a chance at first if we dumped Wheels.
I don't understand this obsession with making our one solid bench player play everyday. Because that's exactly what he is. A solid bench player. Putting him in the lineup is not only a disadvantage compared to other teams in the league, but it significantly weakens our bench.

I'm all for Paulie getting traded. But we better have a better solution at first than Gload.

Lip Man 1
12-07-2004, 11:51 AM
The Tribune, Sun-Times and Daily Southtown all have stories quoting Williams on this today (Tuesday). They also quote Williams as saying that 'everyone' he has spoken with tells him the same thing, that Johnson would not approve a deal to the South Side.

Not trying to be arrogant but I'm not surprised. Given the lack of success and the controversies surrounding this team over the past 25 years, their position in their own Chicago market and the outlook for the near future why would Johnson want to come here?

Lip

doublem23
12-07-2004, 11:58 AM
The Tribune, Sun-Times and Daily Southtown all have stories quoting Williams on this today (Tuesday). They also quote Williams as saying that 'everyone' he has spoken with tells him the same thing, that Johnson would not approve a deal to the South Side.

Not trying to be arrogant but I'm not surprised. Given the lack of success and the controversies surrounding this team over the past 25 years, their position in their own Chicago market and the outlook for the near future why would Johnson want to come here?

Lip
Maybe he just likes to hit.

Soxzilla
12-07-2004, 12:02 PM
I don't understand this obsession with making our one solid bench player play everyday. Because that's exactly what he is. A solid bench player. Putting him in the lineup is not only a disadvantage compared to other teams in the league, but it significantly weakens our bench.

I'm all for Paulie getting traded. But we better have a better solution at first than Gload.
How do you know he is just a bench player? I mean, he proved last year he has more ability than Joe Crede ... who we are now giving a third chance to prove he wasn't a waste of talent.

I swear to god, it's like, if a prospect isn't touted like a Bmac or a LTP, there is no way he can bust out in the majors.:rolleyes:

Then again, I guess our farm system can't produce any talent. That just isn't possible!

doublem23
12-07-2004, 12:06 PM
How do you know he is just a bench player? I mean, he proved last year he has more ability than Joe Crede ... who we are now giving a third chance to prove he wasn't a waste of talent.

I swear to god, it's like, if a prospect isn't touted like a Bmac or a LTP, there is no way he can bust out in the majors.:rolleyes:

Then again, I guess our farm system can't produce any talent. That just isn't possible!
Gload's not a prospect; he's going to be 29 years old (same as Konerko). Any team starting Ross Gload at first base consistently next year is not playing in October.

Ol' No. 2
12-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Maybe he just likes to hit.Or maybe he just likes going 16-14 with a 2.60 ERA.

Soxzilla
12-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Gload's not a prospect; he's going to be 29 years old (same as Konerko). Any team starting Ross Gload at first base consistently next year is not playing in October.
Any team starting Gload at first base consistently next year is going to make it to the world series.

See, I can make up facts just as easy as you!

:whatever: