PDA

View Full Version : Konerko Should Go

stillz
12-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Does anyone else think he should be dealt now, while his value is high? He's entering the final year of his contract, and should he tank early on, the Sox get nothing for him.

Plus, he's the slowest guy on the team - hits fewer doubles than in years past and grounds into a lot of double plays.

Don't get me wrong, I love Paulie, but KW should move him this offseason.

southsider17
12-06-2004, 01:23 PM
I'm behind you 100%! Get something for him NOW!

duke of dorwood
12-06-2004, 01:54 PM
How can you even consider this with Big Frank's uncertainty?

stillz
12-06-2004, 02:10 PM
I appreciate that Big Frank is a question mark, but Gload's production was outstanding, and he deserves a chance to start.

And I'm not suggesting KW stand pat. He should sign a big bopper to offset the loss of a hitter like Paulie.

SOXSINCE'70
12-06-2004, 02:21 PM
I appreciate that Big Frank is a question mark, but Gload's production was outstanding, and he deserves a chance to start.

Sox fans have only seen Ross Gload come off the bench.Let's
see how he handles 500 + AB's.I wouldn't write off Konerko
so quickly.

jshanahanjr
12-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Chris Snopek is Ross Gload in Polish. How did Snopek do filling in for Ventura over a long period of time? I recall not too well.

Dolanski
12-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Chris Snopek is Ross Gload in Polish.
:rolling: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#) :rolling:

I think Ross Gload translates into Mikel Caruso in Italian...

jabrch
12-06-2004, 02:46 PM
I'd shop him and see what we can get for him. If we can get top value for him - cool. If not, then I have no problem sticking with him.

WikdChiSoxFan
12-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Keep Konerko...

...if not for his much needed bat...there are a bunch of other non-baseball reasons...like him being the nicest guy in baseball, the fact that he likes being a white sock, he's been here for a while, and his amazing komeback last year.

all right, all right, so it's pretty obvious who my favorite sox player is right now. But I think if you trade Paulie in order to fill another hole, we will just end up with a hole at 1b, in addition, less Sox loyalty, less leadership, and less "Paulie, Paulie" chants...

Plus, I think Komeback Konerko is gonna do a little mentoring to Comeback Crede this year.

Plus, why not another franchise player, i wouldn't mind Beuhrle, Frank, Crede, and Konerko playing for the white sox until they die,

plus, i really want to invest in a Konerko jersey...i've been tentative cause i don't want to jinx it

MINFAN1
12-06-2004, 04:35 PM
Sad to say, I think that it is time for Pauley to leave. To get good talent for him in return it would be better to put him on the list. I think Gload will be a good enough replacement, and we are not losing any on defense with him. A good starting pitcher, bullpen help, and a right-fielder is what they could use.

mweflen
12-06-2004, 04:45 PM
I support this move, but only if we can find another guy for the same money who will produce 120+ RBI with better speed.

Which is to say, given the piss-poor history of White Sox FA acquisitions, I don't support the move.

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2004, 04:49 PM
I support this move, but only if we can find another guy for the same money who will produce 120+ RBI with better speed.

Which is to say, given the piss-poor history of White Sox FA acquisitions, I don't support the move.Yeah. The hell with pitching. Let's load up on sluggers. It's worked so well so far.

santo=dorf
12-06-2004, 04:51 PM
:threadrules:

mweflen
12-06-2004, 04:58 PM
Yeah. The hell with pitching. Let's load up on sluggers. It's worked so well so far.I am not advocating ditching pitching as a priority in favor of offense. But an offense without Frank, Maggs and Paulie does not inspire visions of 83+ wins in my head.

I think we should keep Paulie and Carlos and pick up Clement and Wright. (or Lieber) This way, we can unload Contreras (don't trust him), put Garland in the pen (he's too young a .500 pitcher to give away now), and still have something close to last year's offense.

JB98
12-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Sox fans have only seen Ross Gload come off the bench.Let's
see how he handles 500 + AB's.I wouldn't write off Konerko
so quickly.

Let's see how Gload handles 500 ABs? That's a step you take only if you're rebuilding. We have NO CHANCE of winning the division next year if Konerko is traded. I repeat, NO CHANCE. Over a whole season, Gload would be lucky to hit better than .270, and he doesn't have anywhere near the power of Konerko.

Maggs is gone. Valentin is gone. Frank isn't healthy. Rowand and Uribe had nice seasons last year. Can they do it again? Who knows? Crede sucks. Harris has shown us little. We need someone other than CLee that we can count on offensively. It's so obvious to me that Paulie is that guy. Why are Sox fans so quick to try to unload a man who went .280-40-120 last year? Moreover, Konerko wants to be here, and he wants to win here. Sure, he has some limitations, but he's part of the solution, not the problem.

And I don't want to hear any more crap about how Paulie doesn't help the offense on the road. If you look at the Sox home-road splits, CLee is really the only one who is as productive on the road as he is at home. A lot of players are better at home than they are on the road. Even Frank Thomas has been far better at the Cell than on the road through the years. Why not unload him too while we're at it?

dcb33
12-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Does anyone else think he should be dealt now, while his value is high? He's entering the final year of his contract, and should he tank early on, the Sox get nothing for him.

Plus, he's the slowest guy on the team - hits fewer doubles than in years past and grounds into a lot of double plays.

Don't get me wrong, I love Paulie, but KW should move him this offseason.You're assuming Paul Konerko has a lot of trade value, which he doesn't. You hit it on the head- Konerko is expensive and will be a free agent, so what makes you think another team would want to give up anything other than another high priced FA to be or mediocre prospects to essentially rent Konerko for a year?

I'm sure the only reason the D-Backs were interested in Konerko was because his contract would've cost 1/4 what RJ's does. I'm sure they had no intent of signing him to an extension.

You have to keep him around. With Maggs gone he's now one of the faces of the franchise, and one of the team's veteran leaders. Unless KW could catch lightning in a bottle, I fail to see how we could come out ahead.

BRDSR
12-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love Paulie, but KW should move him this offseason.
I could not disagree more. First of all, Walnuts is a great player. I said it the first time I saw his swing. He has as good a swing as anyone on the team, the fruits of which were seen this past season with 43 home runs, and that was without Frank and Magglio around him in the lineup. Besides that, he is beginning to get the kind of recognition that an organization needs to sustain fans of the younger generation. He and Frank Thomas are the faces of this organization and I dont' want to see him go. Paulie needs to stay for reasons both on the field and off.

HITMEN OF 77
12-07-2004, 12:58 AM
Let's see how Gload handles 500 ABs? That's a step you take only if you're rebuilding. We have NO CHANCE of winning the division next year if Konerko is traded. I repeat, NO CHANCE.
I like Gload, but your right without Konerko, We Gone....

santo=dorf
12-07-2004, 01:10 AM
Let's see how Gload handles 500 ABs? That's a step you take only if you're rebuilding. We have NO CHANCE of winning the division next year if Konerko is traded. I repeat, NO CHANCE. Over a whole season, Gload would be lucky to hit better than .270, and he doesn't have anywhere near the power of Konerko.

Maggs is gone. Valentin is gone. Frank isn't healthy. Rowand and Uribe had nice seasons last year. Can they do it again? Who knows? Crede sucks. Harris has shown us little. We need someone other than CLee that we can count on offensively. It's so obvious to me that Paulie is that guy. Why are Sox fans so quick to try to unload a man who went .280-40-120 last year? Moreover, Konerko wants to be here, and he wants to win here. Sure, he has some limitations, but he's part of the solution, not the problem.
What if we trade Konerko to fill some of the holes that you made in your post?

And I don't want to hear any more crap about how Paulie doesn't help the offense on the road. If you look at the Sox home-road splits, CLee is really the only one who is as productive on the road as he is at home. A lot of players are better at home than they are on the road. Even Frank Thomas has been far better at the Cell than on the road through the years. Why not unload him too while we're at it?
He is going to make $8.75 million next year and he needs to preform a better level when the team is on the road. A .239 BA is very Crede-like and is unwanted.
Road BA in 2004:

Everett .343
Burke .340
Rowand .317
Gload .313
Lee .307
Ordonez .287
Harris .280
Thomas .274
Uribe .248
Konerko .239
Davis .236
Crede .219
Valentin .214

His stock will never be higher, and we have holes to fill.

Mohoney
12-07-2004, 02:51 AM
You're assuming Paul Konerko has a lot of trade value, which he doesn't.
I have to agree with this. I don't think that we will be getting fair value for Konerko.

People that say to trade him: give us your opinion on what we can get for him.

The only way I would have traded Konerko or Lee was if we got Randy Johnson. Since that's not going to happen, and Garland will YET AGAIN be counted on for a major contribution, we need to keep the bats we already have, and add a #2 hitter behind Rowand that will get on base for (hopefully) Frank Thomas in the #3 hole. We paid lip service to winning around pitching, but ended up going through this first month of the offseason keeping Garland and not landing a quality bullpen guy. That's certainly not what I had in mind.

I hope to God that they make headway into signing Jaret Wright and a reliever of some kind at the meetings in L.A., and lay the groundwork to jettison Garland and acquire another starter.

I believe somebody suggested Garland to Baltimore for Roberts or Hairston? There's the #2 hitter we need.

BigEdWalsh
12-07-2004, 03:07 AM
I say shop him around and see if we might get a good deal. If so do it, if not, keep him.

Dolanski
12-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Considering how many 1b/DH we have on the roster and which ones are on the right side of 30, why not trade Frank? Yeah, I know blasphemy, and also, who would pay for him, but I keep recalling an article a few years back which said that the Sox will never win a WS with Frank Thomas on the roster. Also, kinda invokes the whole Patrick Ewing (Nomar Garciaparra?) theory...

But as far as Konerko is concerned, why would you trade the most popular player on your team away who supplies some serious offense when you are already losing your superstar RF and most likely will not be replacing his numbers?

JB98
12-07-2004, 12:21 PM
What if we trade Konerko to fill some of the holes that you made in your post?
I still adamently disagree with you. I'm not going to change my mind, and I doubt you are either. So, in the interest of creating discussion, I'll humor you and ask, who do you think we can get for Konerko?

All this pleading for RJ has obviously fallen on deaf ears. If we trade Konerko, we better be filling at least two of our holes, and possibly three. After all, if Paulie is gone, 1B becomes a hole.

I'm a friend of Ross Gload only if we're talking about him as a lefty bat off the bench. You never give a player an everyday job on the basis of a good September.