PDA

View Full Version : Selig told team no champagne

Jerry_Manuel
10-14-2001, 01:51 PM
Associated Press
ATLANTA -- The Braves celebrated their first-round victory over Houston with beer instead of champagne, but it wasn't their choice.

Commissioner Bud Selig sent a memo to all playoff teams asking that champagne be kept out of postseason celebrations out of respect for the Sept. 11 tragedy, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Saturday.

The Braves sprayed champagne after clinching the NL East title. The team received Selig's memo on Thursday, one day before beating the Astros 6-2 to sweep the best-of-five playoff series.

Mike Remlinger, the Braves' player most active in raising money for victims of the terror attacks, criticized Selig's decision.

"We understand this is a game, and we understand the gravity of what's happened," he said. "If you feel it adamantly, why not do this before we clinched the East? It's another example of Bud Selig not knowing what he's talking about."

Remlinger said he was speaking largely on behalf of players who've never been to the postseason.

"We work eight months and some guys work 10-20 years to get to this point," he said. "I don't think it's right to take that away."

Remlinger suggested media be kept out of the clubhouses immediately after games, giving teams a chance to celebrate in private.

LongDistanceFan
10-14-2001, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
. what does champagne has to do with the wtc disaster......... nothing....... isn't this getting a little ridicules?

selig should ask the players assoc. to contribute some of their money......... which most sports stars haven't.

Jerry_Manuel
10-14-2001, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
isn't this getting a little ridicules?

This quote says it all:
"If you feel it adamantly, why not do this before we clinched the East? It's another example of Bud Selig not knowing what he's talking about."

GASHWOUND
10-14-2001, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

This quote says it all:
"If you feel it adamantly, why not do this before we clinched the East? It's another example of Bud Selig not knowing what he's talking about."

Selig is an idiot. champagne has nothing to do with celebrating the WTC disaster. Their celebrating winning the NLDS and getting to the NLCS. What a moron. I guess we should stop ALL birthday parties, cancel Halloween cause that would be disrespectful for the victims. Give me a break.

Spiff
10-14-2001, 05:36 PM
Yeah I really don't see what he means to do.

:tool

"Drink Miller and I'll see you at the ballpark. But you sure as hell better not be smiling!!"