PDA

View Full Version : Two Great Columns

voodoochile
12-06-2004, 01:12 PM
If you haven't read them, bop over the the home (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/) page and check out the two columns posted this week.

Great stuff guys.

Hal, glad to hear your son is doing so well. Who needs more of an Xmas present than that?

George, your pleas will definitely fall on deaf ears, but it still had to be said.

TornLabrum
12-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks, Jim.

PaulDrake
12-07-2004, 08:16 AM
The quality and timeliness of all the writers here is a big reason why this place is a cut above (sometimes more) the average sports message board. Orthodox journalism, including sports journalism has gotten so hackneyed, ho hum, syrupy and banal. Not so here. On a side note, as a veteran of family health crises I can appreciate what Hal has gone through with his son. It sounds like his son is well on the way to recovery from very serious surgery. May they attend many Sox games together in the 05 season.

Deadguy
12-07-2004, 08:32 AM
I agree. I very much enjoyed reading both columns.

ewokpelts
12-07-2004, 11:26 AM
If you haven't read them, bop over the the home (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/) page and check out the two columns posted this week.

Great stuff guys.

Hal, glad to hear your son is doing so well. Who needs more of an Xmas present than that?

George, your pleas will definitely fall on deaf ears, but it still had to be said.deaf ears? like these guys?

:dollarbill:
:reinsy

"You have to give us a dollar EACH to even consider thinking about listening to you.....now...where's your two dollars?"

Gene

cheeses_h_rice
12-07-2004, 11:34 AM
To George -

Giambi has admitted only to taking 'roids from 2001 onward. I'm not saying he wasn't juicing in 2000 or earlier -- his physical presence back then would tend to hint strongly at that -- but how do you propose having him apologize to Frank for getting ripped off in 2000 when Giambi won't even admit to juicing that year?

(And yes, I'm mindful of the fact that it would behoove Giambi to not admit to juicing in an MVP year, knowing full well that he could be asked to relinquish the title and any financial benefits he got from his contract wording that year. I'm more curious about how one entices Giambi to admit to something he doesn't seem to want to admit to.)

PaleHoseGeorge
12-07-2004, 09:03 PM
To George -

Giambi has admitted only to taking 'roids from 2001 onward. I'm not saying he wasn't juicing in 2000 or earlier -- his physical presence back then would tend to hint strongly at that -- but how do you propose having him apologize to Frank for getting ripped off in 2000 when Giambi won't even admit to juicing that year? Sosa: Yes I used a corked bat, but only to entertain the fans.
Bonds: Yes I juiced, but I thought it was flaxseed oil.
Giambi: Yes I juiced, but not until after I won the MVP.

Three of a kind. Self-confessed cheats and liars. We don't need any proof to strip them of everything. Ask Joe Jackson.
:cool:

Nick@Nite
12-08-2004, 05:06 AM
TL,
Hope your son Jeff has the speediest of recoveries... good to see you cruising these boards again.

------------------

I enjoyed the two columns and would like to share a few quick thoughts.

It's surprising too me that the media is not comparing the present 'roid-scandal to the Black Sox scandal. In both cases, the point of contention(gambling & drug-use) was known to exist by those in the know while the general public hadn't a clue. Star players were granted immunity from prosecution, and MLB had to exercises major damage control.

I don't consider it an apples & oranges comparison, but a rotten-fruit comparison. MLB always did what it saw fit while hiding behind the best interests of baseball line. How is this different? The players union is going to defend illegal drug use?

The Black Sox scandal taught kids that no matter what, you should always give your best and honest effort on the field, always. Today's steroid scandal is telling kids they can get away with using illegal drugs if they deny, shift blame, plead ignorance, etc.