PDA

View Full Version : Cubune's Phil Hersh rips baseball *and* baseball writers, too.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-06-2004, 01:01 PM
This one is a good read. Hersh covers Olympic sports for the Cubune.

Some saw baseball scandal coming long ago (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-0412060153dec06,1,3928711.column?coll=cs-columnists)

Here's my second-favorite part, ripping on the same chumps we rip around here all the time...

The revelation that the sport's sluggers are wearing no moral clothes has made baseball writers, a famously insular group, finally begin to feel the way anyone who covers the Olympics has for years.

By the time we finish a story glorifying the achievements of some track or swimming star, we feel the need to take a shower. Or three. All one could do to cleanse the mind is mention the possibility of doping as often as possible.
And here's my favorite part, putting into writing what the rest of the Cubune and Scum-Times sportswriters wouldn't dare say because they need quotes from the cheat...
The only sure thing is that those homers by McGwire and Bonds and Giambi (and Sammy Sosa?) are a fraud that would have been exposed long ago had baseball, and the media covering it, not chosen blissful ignorance over disclosure.
Well, this is a refreshing change from Rick Morrisey's "Blame the Fans" angle on the same story. When does the Cubune elevate Phil Hersh to page 1 columnist? At least he has a ****ing clue.
:cool:

Flight #24
12-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Well, this is a refreshing change from Rick Morrisey's "Blame the Fans" angle on the same story. When does the Cubune elevate Phil Hersh to page 1 columnist? At least he has a ****ing clue.
:lynch&mcfail

Andy: "Jim - do you have Kent Mercker's # handy?"
Jim: "Sure, here goes"

(Andy makes call, whispers into phone)

Jim: We would like to announce that Phil Hersh has been promoted to editor in chief of our obituary page. Phil has unfortunately resigned to pursue other opportunities.

TornLabrum
12-06-2004, 07:06 PM
This one is a good read. Hersh covers Olympic sports for the Cubune.

Some saw baseball scandal coming long ago (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-0412060153dec06,1,3928711.column?coll=cs-columnists)

Here's my second-favorite part, ripping on the same chumps we rip around here all the time...

And here's my favorite part, putting into writing what the rest of the Cubune and Scum-Times sportswriters wouldn't dare say because they need quotes from the cheat...

Even the mention of Sammy just a year ago might have gotten him fired, but now the Cubs are trying to unload him.

If you go back and look at some of the "Fallen Arches" columns I've written in the past several years, you'll notice that I've been ripping the Chicago baseball writers for not actually doing some investigative journalism and looked into the possibility that a certain cheat known for corking his bat may just have juiced.

I guess you have to be on the outside looking in to notice little things like the sudden acquisition of biceps the size of tree stumps and the sudden loss of that muscle mass that just happened to coincide with the start of mandatory steroid testing.