PDA

View Full Version : More talk of a Hudson trade

mdep524
12-06-2004, 12:18 PM
A good article about the A's 2005 strategy from the San Francisco Chronicle:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/12/06/SPGTPA71PQ1.DTL

According to well-informed baseball officials, the A's are so serious about improving their lineup and maintaining payroll flexibility that they're preparing to deal Tim Hudson despite his success and popularity, and that a trade could be consummated at the winter meetings, which run through next Monday, or shortly thereafter.
Hopefully KW has this on his radar, among many other things, at the winter meetings.

SomebodyToldMe
12-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Hopefully KW has this on his radar, among many other things, at the winter meetings.
But I thought he was gonna do things under the radar?

:redneck :D:

mdep524
12-06-2004, 01:48 PM
But I thought he was gonna do things under the radar?

:redneck :D:
Hahaha :redneck You know, all this secrecy/"under the radar" talk is making KW sound a little like Jerry Krause back when he used to make every Bulls draft into some big international mystery (only to pick bust outs like Dickey Simpkins or obscure Europeans like Dragon Tarlac just for surprise value/to prove the media wrong).

GiveMeSox
12-06-2004, 02:07 PM
A good article about the A's 2005 strategy from the San Francisco Chronicle:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/12/06/SPGTPA71PQ1.DTL

Who on earth would the A's want from us. They will not take on considerable payroll and we are in no postion to eat salary. They already have hetteberg/durazo as 1b and DH so they dont want Konerko. The only thing i can think of would be Lee, but they already have an outfield combo or Bynes, Kielty, and Kotsay. Even if we trade Lee for Hudson then we have a huge hole in left field know too. We are in better postion to just sign a FA pitcher and plug up holes then trade for superstars and create other holes.

Jjav829
12-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Who on earth would the A's want from us. They will not take on considerable payroll and we are in no postion to eat salary. They already have hetteberg/durazo as 1b and DH so they dont want Konerko. The only thing i can think of would be Lee, but they already have an outfield combo or Bynes, Kielty, and Kotsay. Even if we trade Lee for Hudson then we have a huge hole in left field know too. We are in better postion to just sign a FA pitcher and plug up holes then trade for superstars and create other holes.I can't really see the Cardinals or Yankees (the two teams most linked to Hudson rumors) as better suitors than us. If the A's want current major league talent in return, what are the Yankees or Cards gonna give up. I've already been through the Yankees before. The Cardinals don't have much that makes sense either. It's not gonna be Pujols or Rolen. I don't think they'd give up Edmonds or Walker. There's not much else there that makes sense for both teams. I still think a Lee for Hudson trade makes some sense. If the Sox bite on say $2 million of Lee's contract, that leaves him reasonably priced at $6 million and gives the A's the righty threat they are lacking in the middle of their lineup. From the Sox perspective, Everett can move into left, where his defense (or lack there of) is less noticed and someone like Jermaine Dye can be pursued for right field.

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2004, 02:28 PM
I can't really see the Cardinals or Yankees (the two teams most linked to Hudson rumors) as better suitors than us. If the A's want current major league talent in return, what are the Yankees or Cards gonna give up. I've already been through the Yankees before. The Cardinals don't have much that makes sense either. It's not gonna be Pujols or Rolen. I don't think they'd give up Edmonds or Walker. There's not much else there that makes sense for both teams. I still think a Lee for Hudson trade makes some sense. If the Sox bite on say $2 million of Lee's contract, that leaves him reasonably priced at $6 million and gives the A's the righty threat they are lacking in the middle of their lineup. From the Sox perspective, Everett can move into left, where his defense (or lack there of) is less noticed and someone like Jermaine Dye can be pursued for right field.:rowand I'm the guy they want.

Jjav829
12-06-2004, 02:30 PM
:rowand I'm the guy they want.
They might. He's certainly a better fit in terms of salary, but the A's could use a Lee type player.

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2004, 02:36 PM
They might. He's certainly a better fit in terms of salary, but the A's could use a Lee type player.But Lee makes more money than Hudson, and he's in the last year of his contract, too. They couldn't afford to re-sign Lee after 2005, either, so it doesn't solve the basic problem. Only the names are changed. I think it would take a package of young players to get this deal done.

Jjav829
12-06-2004, 02:52 PM
But Lee makes more money than Hudson, and he's in the last year of his contract, too. They couldn't afford to re-sign Lee after 2005, either, so it doesn't solve the basic problem. Only the names are changed. I think it would take a package of young players to get this deal done.
True. In terms of money, Rowand is the better fit. But is he much different than what they have? Not really. Their problem is the lack of a righty to break up the lefty 3-4-5 they have of Chavez, Durazo, and Hatteberg. Rowand doesn't fit that need. He's close to what they already have in Kotsay and Byrnes. Lee could be slotted in between Chavez and Durazo and give them a better L-R-L situation and also give them a hitter who is capable of 30 home runs from the right side of the plate.

I guess it depends on what Beane is looking to do. If he's strictly looking to dump salary for cheaper, long-term players, then Lee probably won't fit. But if he's looking to allocate the salary spent on pitching to an area of greater need, then Lee might be the best fit he can find.

GAsoxfan
12-07-2004, 01:21 PM
At the start of the off-season Beane said one of his goals was to find a middle-of-the-order bat (preferably a righty) to protect Chavez. Also, the A's aren't happy with Hatteberg/Durazo at first/DH. I seriously doubt a trade with Konerko/One of the Big Three as the main pieces would happen, but if the A's could work out an extension with Konerko, maybe it could happen.

Foulke You
12-07-2004, 01:53 PM
What is Hudson's contract status and salary right now? Is he signed for a few years or is he a rent-a-player?

GAsoxfan
12-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Hudson will be a free agent after next season. He's said he wants a new contract by spring training or he's going to test free agency.

wdelaney72
12-07-2004, 02:26 PM
:rowand I'm the guy they want.
100% correct. Given the fact that there is NO ONE to step and play CF for us, I'd have to pass on that deal. I'd rather sign one of the FA pitchers.