PDA

View Full Version : Another SS/2nd basemen down?

12-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Sun Times reports that the Cubs hope to offer Nomar a 1 year 8 millom dollar deal plus incentives and they are alos wanting to resign Todd Walker at 2nd. This may be done as soon as tomorrow.....Where does this leave us? Renteria and Caberea are the best SS out there and I haven't heard a whimper of them being interested in the Sox.....Willie Willie Willie wants to come home!

Justafan
12-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Honestly there was never a chance(despite all the BS newspaper and radio reports)that Garciaparra or Walker were coming to the Sox. If Williams wanted Walker he would have made him an offer, same with Garciaparra. Just remember that the Sox are a small market team and can't compete with the Cubs.

:reinsy (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)" We are in Chicago?

nitetrain8601
12-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Renteria is reportedly being offered a backloaded deal in which he gets paid 8 mil for four years. He doesn't like the backloaded idea, so the Sox could come in and get him for 9 mil on a frontloaded contract or a normal one. Then again, I'm sure he'll ask JR if he could have it deffered over 30 years.

kittle42
12-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Renteria is reportedly being offered a backloaded deal in which he gets paid 8 mil for four years. He doesn't like the backloaded idea, so the Sox could come in and get him for 9 mil on a frontloaded contract or a normal one. Then again, I'm sure he'll ask JR if he could have it deffered over 30 years.
Sox? Normal contract? Ha!

ChiSoxJay
12-06-2004, 01:42 PM
The Cubs will offer both those guys salary arbitration, but I'd be very surprised if either one jumped on it. Other teams have shown interest in both guys and have been probably waiting to see if it would cost them draft picks.

With that said, I still wouldn't be optimistic about Nomar coming to the Sox.

stillz
12-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Isn't Uribe a lock at SS? And no offense to Willie, but I'd like to have Jeff Kent at 2nd.

southsider17
12-06-2004, 02:25 PM
The Cubs will offer both those guys salary arbitration, but I'd be very surprised if either one jumped on it. Other teams have shown interest in both guys and have been probably waiting to see if it would cost them draft picks.

With that said, I still wouldn't be optimistic about Nomar coming to the Sox.

They are offering them new contracts, not arbitration.

broker3d
12-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Jeff Kent? are you kidding me. Just what we need, more bad defense and no range. I want to see us sign Renteria and move Uribe to 2nd. Renteria and rowand would than make up the top of the order.

ondafarm
12-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Just remeber that the Sox are a small market team and can't compete with the Cubs.

I disagree. The Sox act like a small market team and won't compete with the Cubs.

FightingBillini
12-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Im assuming you mean Renteria will get an average of $8mil a year for four years? What you wrote makes it appear as if the contract is 4 years at $2mil a year. We can dream, but he wont go for anywhere near $2mil a year.

OzzieBall2004
12-06-2004, 11:14 PM
I know he's not the speedy, high OBP guy we all want...but an infield of Uribe and Belliard would be fine by me, assuming the money saved not signing a Cabrera/Renteria type would be spent elsewhere (pitching/RF). Before you jump all over me for suggesting this, heres a few splits to ponder...

Breakdown AB AVG OBP SLG OPS
Night 441 .290 .355 .444 .799
USCF 41 .366 .458 .683 1.141

I understand its a small sample size, and I dont expect anyone to hit .366, but it at the very least raises an interesting point.

Lip Man 1
12-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Ondafarm:

Truer words were never spoken.

Lip