soxwon
12-05-2004, 10:18 PM
How Would You Vote On This
No More Dh
Or
Keep The Dh?

pearso66
12-05-2004, 10:22 PM
I personally have no problem with the DH. I like watching pitching duels, but I'd rather not see the Pitcher bat.

MRKARNO
12-05-2004, 10:26 PM
I like how there are different rules in different leagues. It spices the game up a bit and adds an element to the MLB (different rules in different leagues) that no other sport has.

idseer
12-05-2004, 10:42 PM
always hated it ... always will.

reminds me of softball as a child. we had a 'roving fielder' just another way to get more kids in the game, and that's all the dh has provided. another kid in the game ... all to provide more offense for the viewers who don't appreciate the game for what it is (was). kinda the same reason they turned their collective heads at the use of steroids ... to get more offense into the game ... like they were going to compete with football or basketball.

IDIOTS!

MUsoxfan
12-05-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm a major supporter of the DH. I just hate the guaranteed K or slow groudout that's associated with 90% of pitchers batting. So for most NL teams that's two really bad bats at the bottom of the order because the 8 batter is as awful as the 9 batter on AL teams. I understand the people that say that "it's the way the game was created" or "it makes for a better strategy". I just hate watching a guy come to bat knowing it's more than likely just padding the guys stats who's on the mound.

idseer
12-05-2004, 11:00 PM
I'm a major supporter of the DH. I just hate the guaranteed K or slow groudout that's associated with 90% of pitchers batting. So for most NL teams that's two really bad bats at the bottom of the order because the 8 batter is as awful as the 9 batter on AL teams. I understand the people that say that "it's the way the game was created" or "it makes for a better strategy". I just hate watching a guy come to bat knowing it's more than likely just padding the guys stats who's on the mound.
the pitcher is NOT an automatic out. well, some are, but so what?
the problem is that some of you have never know baseball without the dh in the al. if all you want is offense all the time and can't stand the intrigue of a pitcher's ab then i kinda feel sorry for you. you miss the point of the game. it's NOT an action game .... never was! and you'll never know the thrill of landing a pitcher who can also do some damage with the stick. one of the things i loved about gary peters was that he could mash a ball. and pitcher, when they knew they had to bat, sometimes actually got pretty good at small ball.

ah well ........

Soxzilla
12-05-2004, 11:07 PM
always hated it ... always will.

reminds me of softball as a child. we had a 'roving fielder' just another way to get more kids in the game, and that's all the dh has provided. another kid in the game ... all to provide more offense for the viewers who don't appreciate the game for what it is (was). kinda the same reason they turned their collective heads at the use of steroids ... to get more offense into the game ... like they were going to compete with football or basketball.

IDIOTS!
Because pitchers don't use steroids.:rolleyes:

Are you a nihilist id?
:redneck

batmanZoSo
12-05-2004, 11:20 PM
How Would You Vote On This
No More Dh
Or
Keep The Dh?
First, how about a poll?

Second, I'd vote to have it in both leagues. Pitchers batting is not "real baseball," it's not "strategy," it's not "better." To throw four wide ones to the catcher, then strike out the pitcher and avoid three runs crossing the plate isn't strategy, it's just easy. Plus, I think it's stupid to have one hitter who swings like a girl every two innings. I like to watch players who are far better than me, not worse than me.

batmanZoSo
12-05-2004, 11:22 PM
QUOTE=Soxzilla]Because pitchers don't use steroids.:rolleyes:

Are you a nihilist id?
:redneck[/QUOTE]
http://www.coenbrothers.net/lebowski.jpg

He's a ##### nihilist, Walter.
Nihilists...#### me.

Realist, where art thou????

StockdaleForVeep
12-05-2004, 11:30 PM
QUOTE=Soxzilla]Because pitchers don't use steroids.:rolleyes:

Are you a nihilist id?
:redneckhttp://www.coenbrothers.net/lebowski.jpg

Nihilists...#### me.

Realist, where art thou????[/QUOTE]

"Shut the #### Up donny!"
http://img.mtv3.fi/mn_kuvat/9045/12508.jpg

Soxzilla
12-06-2004, 06:30 AM
http://www.coenbrothers.net/lebowski.jpg

Nihilists...#### me.

Realist, where art thou????
"Shut the #### Up donny!"
http://img.mtv3.fi/mn_kuvat/9045/12508.jpg[/QUOTE]
"No Walter ... you're NOT wrong ... you're just a ****ING *******!"

http://img.mtv3.fi/mn_kuvat/9045/12508.jpg

Parrothead
12-06-2004, 06:42 AM
I'm a major supporter of the DH. I just hate the guaranteed K or slow groudout that's associated with 90% of pitchers batting. So for most NL teams that's two really bad bats at the bottom of the order because the 8 batter is as awful as the 9 batter on AL teams. I understand the people that say that "it's the way the game was created" or "it makes for a better strategy". I just hate watching a guy come to bat knowing it's more than likely just padding the guys stats who's on the mound.Can we DH for Joe Borchard and let the pitcher hit? If so, I am for it. At least a pitcher will make contact with a bunt.

Nick@Nite
12-06-2004, 06:44 AM
Get rid of the DH. I'm sick of it.

SOXSINCE'70
12-06-2004, 07:13 AM
I don't have a problem with it.

idseer
12-06-2004, 07:27 AM
Because pitchers don't use steroids.:rolleyes:

Are you a nihilist id?
:redneck
don't be ridiculous. i'd have to be real to be a nihilist.

voodoochile
12-06-2004, 08:11 AM
don't be ridiculous. i'd have to be real to be a nihilist.
I don't even know what a nihilist is...

Me, I say keep the DH, not because I hate pitchers batting but because I hate seeing IBB issued to the .220 hitting SS who bats 8th...

wdelaney72
12-06-2004, 09:01 AM
I hate it, but I've come to accept the fact that the two leagues will always be split.

I don't think that's necessariy a bad thing, just as long as the NL doesn't adopt it.

Soxzilla
12-06-2004, 11:09 AM
I don't even know what a nihilist is...

Me, I say keep the DH, not because I hate pitchers batting but because I hate seeing IBB issued to the .220 hitting SS who bats 8th...
They don't care about anything.:tongue:

voodoochile
12-06-2004, 11:20 AM
They don't care about anything.:tongue:
Ah... makes sense.

I figured there was a zero in there somewhere from that "nil" at the beginning of the word...

JB98
12-06-2004, 11:41 AM
First, how about a poll?

Second, I'd vote to have it in both leagues. Pitchers batting is not "real baseball," it's not "strategy," it's not "better." To throw four wide ones to the catcher, then strike out the pitcher and avoid three runs crossing the plate isn't strategy, it's just easy. Plus, I think it's stupid to have one hitter who swings like a girl every two innings. I like to watch players who are far better than me, not worse than me.
I agree totally. The "strategy" of the double switch doesn't interest me. Nor do I find it "intriguing" to watch a helpless pitcher flail away three times and go take a seat. I definitely prefer American League baseball.

Frater Perdurabo
12-06-2004, 11:47 AM
I generally do not like the DH rule, but then again, it has allowed Frank Thomas and Harold Baines to continue to be productive (although Frank still could play the field if needed).

I would prefer to see the leagues either adopt the DH league-wide or abandon it entirely.

My solution: Bring the DH to the National League, ban steroids and raise the mound. That will cut down on the insane power numbers post-1989.

Foulke You
12-06-2004, 01:21 PM
I agree totally. The "strategy" of the double switch doesn't interest me. Nor do I find it "intriguing" to watch a helpless pitcher flail away three times and go take a seat. I definitely prefer American League baseball.I agree, there is nothing "special" or "pure" about watching the pitcher bat. I like the fact that you have to be a man to be a successful pitcher in the AL. 9 MLB hitters from top to bottom. No free outs.

I also hate the snobbishness and superiority complex that NL fans have over the AL. "Our way is the the pure way" You'll hear that from the Cubs fans a lot. As Hawk would say, that is pure BS!

Wsoxmike59
12-08-2004, 04:58 PM
My vote was to keep the DH. It has grown on me over time. At first I didnt' like it when it came about, but after awhile seeing a lot of my childhood favorites like Carl Yastrzemski, Tommy Davis, Willie Horton, Reggie Jackson, Tony Olivo and Greg Luzinski and Harold Baines extend their careers and play a few more years....it was definitely worth it to adopt the DH.

RKMeibalane
12-08-2004, 09:01 PM
I like the DH and hope it remains a part of the game. I've never understood the argument that a DH is only "half of a player" because he doesn't play a position in the field. After all, nobody crticizes the pitchers who don't bat or run the bases. Why the double-standard?

:hurt

"You tell 'em, man!"

Nick@Nite
12-08-2004, 09:10 PM
^^^Pedro, Clemens and any other notorious headhunter were often criticized for their chin-music because of the lack of the retaliation-to-the-pitcher because of the DH rule.

RKMeibalane
12-08-2004, 09:12 PM
^^^Pedro, Clemens and any other notorious headhunter were often criticized for their chin-music because of the lack of the retaliation-to-the-pitcher because of the DH rule.
That's true. However, my point had more to do with the media not considering pitchers to only be half of a player, because they don't bat.

Dub25
12-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Anyone who thinks the DH is not real baseball I say to them neither is a 5 man pitching rotation. When teams go back to a 3or 4 man rotation(and we know that will never happen) then I'll say get rid of the DH. Anyone who has tried to hit a baseball know that you need to take a lot of swings to stay sharp. A pitcher coming up for 2 or 3 at bats every 5th day looks pathetic. Obviously there are exceptions just like there are guys that excel at pinch hitting. But for the most part pitchers suck at hitting and all they're good for is laying down a bunt. I do prefer AL baseball but I do agree with an earlier post that I like the leagues having their own rules that no other sport has.

idseer
12-09-2004, 08:53 AM
all the arguments for the dh because it's 'boring' to watch a pitcher hit is no different than an argument that we should allow 9 dh's and simply put the best bats out there every ab. how many teams have a .200 hitting ss or 2nd baseman? i see no difference other than it's a matter of degrees.

the POINT is the game was developed as a nine man team vs a nine man team. the same team plays on offense AND defense. substitutions were permanent! not like any other game played where you can freely substitute players at will. the dh is nothing more than susbstituting for the pitcher every time he's due up and solely to please those who can't handle the 'bordom' of a pitcher having to bat.
if you want action all the time i suggest basketball or hockey. if you want baseball the way it was meant to be played you DUMP the dh!