PDA

View Full Version : Winter meetings this week

ChiSoxJay
12-05-2004, 10:39 PM
Does anybody think something big will go down this week at the meetings? I'm tired of all these rumors and no action.:angry:

SomebodyToldMe
12-05-2004, 10:43 PM
I'm tired of all these rumors and no action.:angry:
Same here.

chisoxmike
12-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Does anybody think something big will go down this week at the meetings? I'm tired of all these rumors and no action.:angry:
No. Nothing on the White Sox front at least. We are going to see all the top FA go in the next few weeks.

JKryl
12-05-2004, 10:54 PM
It's possible, but with the Expos or Nationals moving and the drug controversy, their minds may be elsewhere.

OEO Magglio
12-05-2004, 11:04 PM
I think it's safe to say that most of us are tired of all these rumors. I think it's very possible to see some things happen this week but I was almost positive the sox were going to do something last year at the meetings. I guess we'll find out soon..........

rwcescato
12-05-2004, 11:04 PM
There should be many moves this week. The arbitration deadline is on Tuesday.
With the winter meetings starting on thursday i totally expect some moves.
With the 2 weeks for the holidays usually quiet, that leaves only about 8 weeks before spring training. Some team besides the Giants and Tigers have to start signing people.

Rich

MUsoxfan
12-05-2004, 11:53 PM
When Ozzie was on the Hot Stove show on ESPN 1000 last week he said that the winter meetings are like a giant HS reunion. Just alot of handshakes and smalltalk and nothing gets accomplished in the end.

Parrothead
12-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Something will go down but it will not concern the White Sox.:mad:

Jjav829
12-06-2004, 12:32 AM
I think we'll definitely see things heat up as soon as tomorrow. I think the arbitration deadline is probably bigger than the winter meetings at this point. Right now every GM is waiting to see who gets offered arbitration and who doesn't. As soon as tomorrow we may start to see some free agents signing with their old teams, and once the deadline passes I think we'll sign more players signing with new teams. The next few weeks should become more active. The arbitration deadline, winter meetings, and non-tender deadline all coming up within the next few weeks should make for some more moves. I think we may see the Sox active within the week, probably with Jaret Wright as the acquisition.

dugwood31
12-06-2004, 12:37 AM
I think the Sox will wait for the big names to sign, then the pieces will fall into place. I wonder if the steriod stuff is gonna make teams more hesitant.

striker60657
12-06-2004, 11:27 AM
I Want Hudson!!!

southsider17
12-06-2004, 11:30 AM
I Want Hudson!!!
For what?

Palehose13
12-06-2004, 11:43 AM
I think we'll definitely see things heat up as soon as tomorrow. I think the arbitration deadline is probably bigger than the winter meetings at this point. Right now every GM is waiting to see who gets offered arbitration and who doesn't. As soon as tomorrow we may start to see some free agents signing with their old teams, and once the deadline passes I think we'll sign more players signing with new teams. The next few weeks should become more active. The arbitration deadline, winter meetings, and non-tender deadline all coming up within the next few weeks should make for some more moves. I think we may see the Sox active within the week, probably with Jaret Wright as the acquisition.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking too. I wasn't expecting the Sox to really do anything until after tomorrow.

jabrch
12-06-2004, 11:55 AM
cuz the Sox never do anything - and KW makes stupid trades and JR is cheap?

The Sox will get involved and will make moves. People may not like them, but they will make moves.

SOXSINCE'70
12-06-2004, 12:02 PM
That's what i'm deathly afraid of.:(: :angry:

DannyCaterFan
12-06-2004, 12:07 PM
There will be player moves, but not until all of the big names are gone. As usual, the Sox will make second rate player acquisitions.:angry:

SoxFan76
12-06-2004, 01:21 PM
There will be player moves, but not until all of the big names are gone. As usual, the Sox will make second rate player acquisitions.:angry:
Wells (ok, it didn't quite work out)
Colon
Belle
Lofton (The KL of a few years ago, not the one of today)
Canseco? Eh, that one is quite debatable.
Garcia

The problem isn't making the big move, it's keeping these guys for more than a year or two.

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2004, 01:35 PM
I think we'll definitely see things heat up as soon as tomorrow. I think the arbitration deadline is probably bigger than the winter meetings at this point. Right now every GM is waiting to see who gets offered arbitration and who doesn't. As soon as tomorrow we may start to see some free agents signing with their old teams, and once the deadline passes I think we'll sign more players signing with new teams. The next few weeks should become more active. The arbitration deadline, winter meetings, and non-tender deadline all coming up within the next few weeks should make for some more moves. I think we may see the Sox active within the week, probably with Jaret Wright as the acquisition.Often, the non-tendering deadline is the one that gets things going. FA players want to sign before the market gets glutted. Or sometimes teams trade players they didn't want to tender. Teams talk at the winter meetings, but deals usually don't get done until later, so don't expect big things to happen.

Rex Hudler
12-06-2004, 01:41 PM
When Ozzie was on the Hot Stove show on ESPN 1000 last week he said that the winter meetings are like a giant HS reunion. Just alot of handshakes and smalltalk and nothing gets accomplished in the end.
That shows what Ozzie knows. Trades and free agent signings happen every year. He is right about the social side of it, but business obviously gets done.

southsider17
12-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Often, the non-tendering deadline is the one that gets things going. FA players want to sign before the market gets glutted. Or sometimes teams trade players they didn't want to tender. Teams talk at the winter meetings, but deals usually don't get done until later, so don't expect big things to happen.
Could you please explain the non-tendering deadline. I understand the arbitration deadline but I'm in a fog re:non-tendering.

:?:

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Could you please explain the non-tendering deadline. I understand the arbitration deadline but I'm in a fog re:non-tendering.

:?:It's analagous to the arb deadline, but applies to players who are arbitration-eligible but not yet eligible for free agency. Teams have until Dec 20 to either sign them or offer arbitration. If they do neither, the player becomes a free agent.

duke of dorwood
12-06-2004, 02:56 PM
White Sox Baseball:

All Rumors, No Action

Except for ticket price increases

southsider17
12-06-2004, 03:53 PM
It's analagous to the arb deadline, but applies to players who are arbitration-eligible but not yet eligible for free agency. Teams have until Dec 20 to either sign them or offer arbitration. If they do neither, the player becomes a free agent.
Ahhh! Thank you. That seems pretty clear to me now.

Lip Man 1
12-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Duke:

Now THAT's funny! :smile:

Lip