PDA

View Full Version : Great News about Wright...

nitetrain8601
12-05-2004, 02:34 PM
http://rotoworld.com/content/home_mlb.asp?sport=MLB

According to the Seattle Times, the Mariners' three-year offer to Jaret Wright is worth about $9 million, not $15 million.
Sometimes it's really hard to take Bill Bavasi's team seriously. It looks like the White Sox remain the favorites to sign Wright. Dec. 5 - 2:30 pm et
Hopefully we can get him signed.

jake27
12-05-2004, 02:39 PM
lets sign him and "git r dun":bandance:

beckett21
12-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately, that's probably about what he is worth.

He had a great season, under the watchful eye of Leo Mazzone. Wright is still coming off major injury and is a known risk. I'd take a chance on him, but I wouldn't want to overpay.

I tend to lean towards supporting KW, but he needs to tread lightly here IMO. Better options are still available.

santo=dorf
12-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Better options are still available.
Too bad they're not at the right price.

:reinsy
"You can thank Kris Benson, Paul Wilson, and Troy Percival."

Fredsox
12-05-2004, 02:51 PM
http://rotoworld.com/content/home_mlb.asp?sport=MLB

Hopefully we can get him signed.
Do we have any information that suggests the Sox are in the lead on this or is this just speculation? I know KW is interested in him but I have not seen anything about an offer to Wright.

GiveMeSox
12-05-2004, 02:51 PM
This is from rotoworld:
"According to the Seattle Times, the Mariners' three-year offer to Jaret Wright is worth about $9 million, not $15 million.
Sometimes it's really hard to take Bill Bavasi's team seriously. It looks like the White Sox remain the favorites to sign Wright."

nitetrain8601
12-05-2004, 03:14 PM

He had a great season, under the watchful eye of Leo Mazzone. Wright is still coming off major injury and is a known risk. I'd take a chance on him, but I wouldn't want to overpay.

I tend to lean towards supporting KW, but he needs to tread lightly here IMO. Better options are still available.
He came back last year full strength. I mean he already fully recovered his arm years ago and he learn how to become a pitcher and not a thrower last year. I think he's corrected his problem last year for the long haul. He saw what the problem was and corrected it. Plus Coop won't let him go back to his old form because he's a good pitching coach in his own right. Frankly, I would give Wright the 3-year 15 million dollar deal. He would be a nice #3 pitcher and at the price of pitching these days(Paul Wilson, Troy Percival, Armando Benitez, etc) I'd sign him right now.

santo=dorf
12-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Do we have any information that suggests the Sox are in the lead on this or is this just speculation? I know KW is interested in him but I have not seen anything about an offer to Wright.
:KW
"We're flying under the radar for Jamey Wright.....I mean JARET Wright. Whew, that was close."

nitetrain8601
12-05-2004, 03:57 PM
:KW
"We're flying under the radar for Jamey Wright.....I mean JARET Wright. Whew, that was close." Whew, you almost scared the **** outta me. Then again, Jamey was a HOF type player.

Soxfest
12-05-2004, 04:51 PM
JR = Blah..............We can do alot better than him.

MRKARNO
12-05-2004, 04:55 PM
JR = Blah..............We can do alot better than him.
:reinsy

"WHAT???? You want to get rid of me??"

Do you mean JW?

soxwon
12-05-2004, 04:55 PM
wright will help but getting RJ will be the masterpiece.

Shingotime!!
12-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Ok, say we do sign Wright to the 3 year 15 mill. Does this mean that we may be keeping konerko, i hope so. Or are we still outside players in the sweepstakes for Randy Johnson. If we sign him (Wright) how much payroll flexability do we have and what would this do to our rotation. Is he a number 3 or 4 starter in the american league. Buerhle, Garcia, Contreras, Wright, Garland. I must admit, that is damn good.

soxwon
12-05-2004, 05:33 PM
johnson-buehrle-garcia-contrweras- wright sounds better.

garland would go with konerko for rj

munchman33
12-05-2004, 05:43 PM
This has already been posted. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42335)

Win1ForMe
12-05-2004, 08:54 PM

You know Beckett, I agree with you. But having thought about this, is there any free agent pitcher, outside of maybe Brad Radke, who isn't some sort of risk?

MRKARNO
12-05-2004, 09:06 PM
I think at 3 years 12-14 million Wright would be a risk worth taking. His really low HR rate is impressive and so is his pretty good 2.27 K/BB ratio. He has always had the potential to become the pitcher that he was last year, so it isn't surprising that he would be able to put together a season like he did last on a consistant basis. His problem was just that he couldnt stay healthy and it appears now that he can be healthy. He still walks more than he should and that could be a problem in the AL, but I think at four million a year, it wouldnt be awful.

Ol' No. 2
12-05-2004, 09:25 PM
I think at 3 years 12-14 million Wright would be a risk worth taking. His really low HR rate is impressive and so is his pretty good 2.27 K/BB ratio. He has always had the potential to become the pitcher that he was last year, so it isn't surprising that he would be able to put together a season like he did last on a consistant basis. His problem was just that he couldnt stay healthy and it appears now that he can be healthy. He still walks more than he should and that could be a problem in the AL, but I think at four million a year, it wouldnt be awful.To me, this is a perfect situation for a contract with big incentives. Maybe 2 yr/$8M with a 3rd year contingent on meeting certain performace metrics (# of starts, IP, etc.) Add in incentives worth up to another $3M/yr. If he makes all his incentives, it could be worth $21M, which is far and away more than anyone else is offering. And if he makes all his incentives, he'll be worth it.

A.T. Money
12-05-2004, 11:52 PM
Well, if we're going to sign him, then let's sign him. Why is it taking so long for us to make any real moves?

OEO Magglio
12-05-2004, 11:54 PM
Well, if we're going to sign him, then let's sign him. Why is it taking so long for us to make any real moves?
Arbitration. Deadline is Tuesday, I think we'll start making some move soon after, atleast I hope.......

santo=dorf
12-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Arbitration. Deadline is Tuesday, I think we'll start making some move soon after, atleast I hope.......Atlanta is going to offer him arbitration regardless. If we do sign him, we will lose our second round pick. This will be a historic moment in White Sox history because I believe it will be the first time we have ever lost a draft pick.

OEO Magglio
12-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Atlanta is going to offer him arbitration regardless. If we do sign him, we will lose our second round pick. This will be a historic moment in White Sox history because I believe it will be the first time we have ever lost a draft pick.
You're right santo, I forgot to add that as part of my post. I just meant overall I think that's what's holding up some free agent signings.

munchman33
12-06-2004, 12:15 AM
Atlanta is going to offer him arbitration regardless. If we do sign him, we will lose our second round pick. This will be a historic moment in White Sox history because I believe it will be the first time we have ever lost a draft pick.
It hasn't happened yet.....

Jjav829
12-06-2004, 12:41 AM
You know Beckett, I agree with you. But having thought about this, is there any free agent pitcher, outside of maybe Brad Radke, who isn't some sort of risk?
That's the thing, there isn't. I was thinking about this as well, and every pitcher you can bring up (in either free agency or trades) has some concern. There are injury concerns about guys like Wright, Clement, and RJ. There are questions about how likely the pitcher is to repeat his performance with guys like Pavano and Perez. Even Tim Hudson has some concerns. I think a lot of people are looking for that perfect pitcher when in reality, one isn't available. We're not going to get a good, young, consistent, cheap, pitcher with no injury questions. It's just not going to happen. Any pitcher this team acquires is going to have concerns, so we might as well face that truth.

Erik The Red
12-06-2004, 03:06 AM
I keep seeing this thread and getting my hopes up that we released Danny Wright.

Foulke You
12-06-2004, 03:45 AM
That's the thing, there isn't. I was thinking about this as well, and every pitcher you can bring up (in either free agency or trades) has some concern. There are injury concerns about guys like Wright, Clement, and RJ. There are questions about how likely the pitcher is to repeat his performance with guys like Pavano and Perez. Even Tim Hudson has some concerns. I think a lot of people are looking for that perfect pitcher when in reality, one isn't available. We're not going to get a good, young, consistent, cheap, pitcher with no injury questions. It's just not going to happen. Any pitcher this team acquires is going to have concerns, so we might as well face that truth.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. There is no such thing as a risk free pitcher signing. However, I think the reason everyone is so nervous and freaked out about any pitcher the Sox might be after is that we KNOW it will be the only one we get. Injuries or budget be damned.

My thoughts are, after last offseason ANY starting pitching free agent we sign would be a step in the right direction. I don't think anyone wants the Sox to break camp again with a rotation spot in question as we always do.

Soxzilla
12-06-2004, 07:33 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head here. There is no such thing as a risk free pitcher signing. However, I think the reason everyone is so nervous and freaked out about any pitcher the Sox might be after is that we KNOW it will be the only one we get. Injuries or budget be damned.

My thoughts are, after last offseason ANY starting pitching free agent we sign would be a step in the right direction. I don't think anyone wants the Sox to break camp again with a rotation spot in question as we always do.
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p968090reg.jpg
"My only downside is that I like the sauce."

skottyj242
12-06-2004, 11:09 AM
Thank God, for a minute there I thought there was great news about Danny Wright, I wa a little scared.

DannyCaterFan
12-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Wright sounds alot better to me than Contreres does. I think Garland will be traded eventually. Buerhle, Garcia, Wright, that's a good start, but if we get Jared, we still need another starter.

SoxFan76
12-06-2004, 01:19 PM
Wright sounds alot better to me than Contreres does. I think Garland will be traded eventually. Buerhle, Garcia, Wright, that's a good start, but if we get Jared, we still need another starter.
You do know that Garland in the 5 spot is a guaranteed 10-12 wins. What's wrong with that?

WSox8404
12-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Definately worth the shot for the price.