PDA

View Full Version : R. Morrissey Slams Bonds-Giambi AND SOSA!!

Wsoxmike59
12-05-2004, 10:35 AM
I just knew this morning's column by the Tribune's Rick Morrissey was going to be about the Bonds/Giambi Victor Conti BALCO steroid issue. I loved how Rick Morrissey ends the column. (excerpted below)

If fans ever believed in what Sammy Sosa has accomplished, they won't now. They see Giambi and Bonds fessing up. They already have seen Sosa's corked bat. They have seen Sosa transform himself from medium-sized ballplayer to humongous home-run hitter to Shrunken Sammy. Only Oprah has had more body changes.

Everybody's a suspect now. What a world. What a sad world.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-041204morrissey,1,3010485,print.column?coll=cs-home-utility

P.S. I think that 98% of the Sox fans I've encountered have always believed Sosa was an alledged steroid user, and perhaps 50% of the Cubs fans did too. The rap sheet on Sammy Sosa raises so many red flags that they're impossible to ignore.

*suspicious acne
*dramatic physical changes in his appearance
*his best friend Manny Alexander being busted with hypodermic needles in his car during a traffic stop
*$20,000 in cash wrapped in a towel stolen from him in a hotel,
*Sammy admitting to NEVER lifting weights in Dec until Dusty Baker came aboard.

Cub fans have had the wool pulled over their eyes by this guy ever since the 1998 season. If I were a sportswriter players such as Bonds, Giambi, Sheffield, Caminiti, Canseco and Sosa would NEVER receive a single vote on my Hall of Fame ballot.

Wsoxmike59
12-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Diamond deeds are starting to look blemished
Mike Downey

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-041203downey,0,4036054,print.column?coll=cs-home-utility

A wholly different Giambi reported to 2004 spring camp than the one from previous seasons. His body looked like a deflated Macy's parade balloon. A joke going around was the Yankees' 25-man roster would carry 24˝ men.

Milw
12-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Diamond deeds are starting to look blemished
Mike Downey
"Starting to look" ...

That's typical. Downey is about 5 years behind everyone else.

JKryl
12-05-2004, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=Cub fans have had the wool pulled over their eyes by this guy ever since the 1998 season. If I were a sportswriter players such as Bonds, Giambi, Sheffield, Caminiti, Canseco and Sosa would NEVER receive a single vote on my Hall of Fame ballot.[/QUOTE]

Well said.

idseer
12-05-2004, 10:45 PM
i find it interesting that there were some here who protected bonds to the end .... cause there was no proof. why isn't anyone here protecting sosa? just because he's a cub?"

Foulke29
12-05-2004, 11:24 PM
My problem with Rick is laying sole blame on the fans. What does he expect fans to do when the Tribune defends Sammy? Here's what I sent:

Mr. Morrissey:

I agree with your assessment. There’s no doubt that the fan’s to blame. However, we need point to ownership as well. When the Steinbrenners and Chicago Tribunes and Anheuser-Buschs turn away from the Jason Giambis and Sammy Sosas and Mark McGwires of baseball for better highlight reels, what do you expect? The buck does not stop at the fan. The buck stops at the ownership and their media strangleholds.

Why wouldn’t the fans go to the ballpark to watch Sosa crank 60 a year (when he was never expected to hit more than 35 earlier in his career) when the Tribune celebrates him every week and defends him against his critics?

People in general are blind to that which they are fed if they already hold an alliance. That’s the truth of the matter. If you really believe that the fans are to blame – then expose those responsible. You are the media. Grab that Pulitzer and show us what the owners know. Show us these things. Is baseball’s ownership really dumb enough to believe in this power surge without the use of steroids if you believe the fans are not?

No sir. The fans are to blame to a degree, but again, we’ve been sold a product under false pretenses for years!

Anyway, those are some thoughts that went through my mind as a reporter from a newspaper that owns the team Sammy Sosa plays for has his epiphany and scolds the fans only after the Chicago Tribune milked Sammy Sosa’s homeruns for every penny they could and is ready to ship him out of town – all the while tearing the soul out of Chicago’s true superstar, Frank Thomas – a former large Auburn baseball and football star. Where were you six years ago Rick Morrissey?

Instead of writing an article scolding fans. Why have we yet to see articles praising the clean ballplayers. If it's so obvious who's juicing, why not call acclaim for Ichiro or Pedro or Schilling or Frank Thomas?!

- A Concerned White Sox Fan