PDA

View Full Version : A rare shout out from the media for The Big Hurt

hose
12-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Slezak gives Frank his props, I'm sure the windsock will be changing his tune on Frank Thomas also.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol05.html

StepsInSC
12-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Great article, I can never get enough Thomas worship!

hose
12-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Great article, I can never get enough Thomas worship!I'm sure this will become in vogue with most of the mouthpieces and scribes in the media.

Big Hurt first ballot HoF ...YES

ondafarm
12-05-2004, 11:30 AM
It's about time, and this doesn't even mention his non-Q numbers.

Soxzilla
12-05-2004, 12:47 PM
I can't wait for Thomas to hit 500 in 2006.:smile:

Reading that article makes me YEARN for that day, it is going to be a sight.

chisoxmike
12-05-2004, 01:09 PM
I never thought I would see the day Slezak wrote something positive about the Sox.

HawkDJ
12-05-2004, 01:17 PM
More pro-Hurt stuff, this from Rozner, though he's always been a Frank fan:
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp?intid=38326188

There are great players (like Andre Dawson) and great hitters (like Frank Thomas) who have done it the right way, the natural way, and they can't (or won't) get a sniff from the Hall of Fame because their once great careers now look like a joke up against the numbers posted by the steroid freaks.
Maybe those who vote will take a second look and realize who the real Hall of Famers should be, and Sosa may no longer be among them.

Fredsox
12-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Slezak gives Frank his props, I'm sure the windsock will be changing his tune on Frank Thomas also.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol05.html Yeah, it's nice to see something positive about Thomas. And though I know that the Sox players have tended to be pretty vocal in their anti-roid position, I'm resisting the temptation to throw this issue into the faces of the Cub fans (it would be so easy, wouldn't it?).

The rumors are that a lot of the juicers are pitchers as well as the big thumpers, guys looking for that 100+mph fastball. I'm thinking about the Sox roster for the past couple of years and I'm wondering if there are any candidates. None come to mind and it seems that our own big hitters (Thomas, Konerko, and Maggs) are not cheaters. None of our pitchers has been dominant or throws particularly hard. I always speculated if Loiza threw a spitter (do you remember how his "cut fastball" would drop?), but even if he did, somehow I feel that's a different level of cheating.

If we're clean, and I think we are, this is another reason to be proud to be a Sox fan. If we're gonna win, we're gonna do it straight up. I'd rather lose than have our guys sticking needles in their thighs.

bahn1225
12-05-2004, 01:43 PM
I've read both articles and I've always been a "Frank" fan.

What bothers me is that anyone with even a passing interest in baseball knew something was up, but everyone (BUD) turned a blind eye to it.

Screw the players union on this. Test, test, test.
What's right is is right.
And what's right is that Frank deserves his props in the past, the present and (HOF) the future.

Hangar18
12-05-2004, 02:19 PM
I never thought I would see the day Slezak wrote something positive about the Sox.

I never thought I would see the day SLEAZE-AK would write
anything Non CubFluff-esque. Shame on her for following all the other
Yellow Writers and getting cubbypropoganda fever, and letting down her
fellow women sportswriters, trying to get ahead in an industry dominated
by men.

I'll give her Credit where
Credit is due, this is a good piece and she raises Very Valid Points.

She would be held in higher journalistic light had she written this piece
a year ago instead of comparing cubs and yankees matchups for the
04 world series. Get ready, for all the Thomas kudo articles to start.
But i'll stay positive here, good job Slezak, shes the first in chicago.

CubKilla
12-05-2004, 11:50 PM
Just when I think Slezak is starting to turn a corner with an article like this, she has to mention ShamME Soso in a similar vein to how she mentioned Frank Thomas as far as finishing 2nd for MVP and she totally discredited herself.

dugwood31
12-06-2004, 12:46 AM
Screw the players union on this. Test, test, test.
It's not that simple. I don't know the specifics but they're in the middle of a CBA right now, and the players don't have to open it up if they don't want to.

I also think that it's important to respect due process. If guys are cheating, it should be investigated. But the last thing we need is a witch hunt.

Sure am glad Big Frank will come out of this smelling like a rose.

OzzieBall2004
12-06-2004, 02:33 AM
Im just glad that all the facts are starting to come out, everyone knew something was going on, and finally we have some evidence of who, what, and when. All the 2000 MVP talk is second nature; while Bonds' punishment will likely only be the shot to his image and his records in the eyes of HOF voters, Frank will be rewarded inversely. He certainly deserves the added attention and celebration of his accomplishments we all thought he wasn't getting, and hopefully he will now.

PaulDrake
12-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Just when I think Slezak is starting to turn a corner with an article like this, she has to mention ShamME Soso in a similar vein to how she mentioned Frank Thomas as far as finishing 2nd for MVP and she totally discredited herself. I'm glad you noticed that too. I was impressed with the article until that line. More shameless Shammee love from the Chicago media. Even after all that happened this season.

stillz
12-06-2004, 11:31 AM
A nice article, indeed. I hope Thomas can mend quickly, and prove that 500 homers is within his mighty reach.:smile:

SOXSINCE'70
12-06-2004, 11:59 AM
I never thought i'd see the day when SLEAZE-HACK
wrote a worthwhile article on the Sox.:D: :D:

What next,a positive article by the piece of garbage
that has what passes for a talk show between
9-12 on 'MVP?? Yet another reason not to listen.:angry:

DannyCaterFan
12-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Finally ! A Positive White Sox Article. Frank Thomas should be singled out for his success over his career. White Sox fans should honor Frank with an extended standing ovation the next time he takes the field at US Cellular. I jusy think it's time to recognise what Frank has done considering his counterparts have cheated to get where they are.

ChiSox14305635
12-06-2004, 12:40 PM
:moron:

"I have no comment on the article regarding the Big Skirt. Though I did like the Sosa reference."