PDA

View Full Version : Sox need a Vet

Pete Ward
10-14-2001, 08:48 AM
Sox will need a Vet to add to the rotation... my list

1st Sox resign an incentive laden deal with Wells. Sox believe he had a positive role on young kids. They would be willing to keep him if deal is right.

Need someone else..3rd/4th starter type. Cal Eldred in a bottle. These guys might be lower cost option that can be had for cash only. Saving players for possible later trades (Lee, Clayton?).

Watch for:
* Kevin Tapani (former Sox, Cubs told himalready he wont be back).
* Gil Heridia - A's starter had success 2 years ago, hurt arm last year.
* Jason Schmidt - Might come at the right free agent price.
* Albie Lopez - Free agent who did well at Tampa Bay.
* Pete Harnisch - Might work if $ right, and arm is OK.

Anyone else?

LongDistanceFan
10-14-2001, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Pete Ward

1st Sox resign an incentive laden deal with Wells. Sox believe he had a positive role on young kids. They would be willing to keep him if deal is right.

Need someone else..3rd/4th starter type. Cal Eldred in a bottle. These guys might be lower cost option that can be had for cash only. Saving players for possible later trades (Lee, Clayton?).

Watch for:

Anyone else? i like and have always like jason schmidt...... great stuff still.

stefaninsane
10-14-2001, 10:21 AM
Tapani, Heredia and Lopez are just about out of gas. I'd rather see Rauch or Guerrier by midseason than pay to see the other team launch gopher balls for a year.

OfficerKarkovice
10-14-2001, 11:14 AM
Jason Schmidt would be awesome he is still a quality pitcher. The other guys, no thanks...especially Lopez, that guy blows he had like 20 losses this year. I wouldnt trade Royce's left nut for him.

Bmr31
10-14-2001, 12:07 PM

Watch for:

Anyone else?

whooooooa dont let kermie read that :)

GASHWOUND
10-14-2001, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i like and have always like jason schmidt...... great stuff still.

I mentioned earlier that Jason Schmidt is the guy I want. He's a vet, and he's pretty good.
It won't cost that much to get him.

LongDistanceFan
10-14-2001, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

whooooooa dont let kermie read that you know, i haven't seem kermie as i used to.........

kermittheefrog
10-14-2001, 07:14 PM

Watch for:

Anyone else?

I hate the idea of getting a guy just because he's old but it'll be fun to take a look at all these guys:

Kevin Tapani

He's the oldest of the group, he'll be 38 next year. He hasn't thrown 200 innings since 1998. In the last three years he averages just over 166 IP. In 2000 when he came close to 200 IP at 195 he had his worst ERA of the last three years at 5.01. He's got a record of 23-38 over that same span and hasn't had a better than average ERA since 1997 when he threw just 85 IP. Even I'm a little surprised at how bad Tap has been the last few years.

On the positive side he's had a K/BB of better that 3/1 for the last two years and actually set a career high in K/9 IP this year. Usually pitchers who are done have declining K numbers so I bet Tap has a year or two left. If we do bring in a vet I don't think he's the right guy, he's not a workhorse anymore. He can't be counted on for more than 160 or so good innings. He'll have to be handled carefully to keep him from getting hurt and missing some starts.

Gil Heredia

He'll be 36 next year. 2001 was just his third year as a fulltime starter and the 4th year he's started more than 10 games. I haven't heard anything abotu him being hurt in the last two years. The 2001 Stats Scouting Notebook siad nothing about him being injured last year, he threw nearly 200 IP and made 32 starts. Rotowire.com says nothing about him being injured this year, he was just plain bad. In 109.2 IP he gave up 144 hits and only struck out 48 batters. He was dropped from the A's rotation in late July and posted a 5.84 ERA as a starter. I don't know abotu you guys but I want nothing to do with a 36 year old starter who can't do anything right. He doesn't even have an injury to take the blaim for how horrible he's been.

Jason Schimdt

Schmidt is the youngest of the group and will be 29 next year. He was worked hard by the Pirates and needed shoulder surgery which ended his 2000 season in June after just 11 starts. He was pretty good before the surgery and was still pretty good this year for the Giants and Pirates. He had a sparkling strikeout rate on the season at 8.5/9 IP. According to scouting reports he can still hit the mid nineties and pitch comfortably in the low 90s. The only downside about Schmidt is because he came off shoulder surgery he had to be handled with care and only averaged 6 innings a start. I think he's the best option among veteran starters available. Well best option other than Chan Ho Park.

Albie Lopez

I don't like him very much, even when he has posted good ERAs his peripheral stats (Ks, BBs, HRs) have been mediocre. He'll be 30 next year and threw 200 innings for the first time this year. He's 20-32 over the last two years, the only two years he's been a fulltime major league starter. His ERA was more than a run better in the NL but he still was homer prone. Albie is overrated and overhyped.

Pete Harnisch

Harnisch is going to be 35 in 2002 and has only made 29 starts over the last two years and thrown 166.1 innings. In 2000 he was held back by shoulder problems and only made 22 starts. Even worse he only reached the 100 pitch mark 7 times. This year Harnisch only made 7 starts because of problems with his elbow. In 2000 he was at least decent and had a 4.74 ERA when he made it to the mound, this year he had a 6.37 ERA. He's 35 and has had shoulder AND elbow problems in the last couple years. Sounds like a big danger sign here but he could be a Herm Schneider special like Cal Eldred before him.

All in all I'd rank these guys like this in order of my preference:
1. Jason Schmidt
2. Kevin Tapani
3. Albie Lopez
4. Pete Harnisch
5. Gil Heredia

Schmidt is head and shoulders above the other four. I wouldn't mind having Tap on the team. The other three seem like wastes of resources if they end up in White Sox unis.

Daver
10-14-2001, 07:19 PM

Anyone else?

Where do I vote for anyone else?

LongDistanceFan
10-14-2001, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Jason Schimdt

Schmidt is the youngest of the group and will be 29 next year. He was worked hard by the Pirates and needed shoulder surgery which ended his 2000 season in June after just 11 starts. He was pretty good before the surgery and was still pretty good this year for the Giants and Pirates. He had a sparkling strikeout rate on the season at 8.5/9 IP. According to scouting reports he can still hit the mid nineties and pitch comfortably in the low 90s. The only downside about Schmidt is because he came off shoulder surgery he had to be handled with care and only averaged 6 innings a start. I think he's the best option among veteran starters available. Well best option other than Chan Ho Park.

Schmidt is head and shoulders above the other four. I wouldn't mind having Tap on the team. The other three seem like wastes of resources if they end up in White Sox unis. with a another yr of recovery and training, the shoulder will get better and stronger. so i think that he may be better than last yr.

Pete Ward
10-14-2001, 09:10 PM
I started the thread and I would trake Schmidt in a heart beat. He's got a chance to get better and has upside. He's a Free agent so I thought this is the guy we should go after. All he's going to cost is $ - not players.

I think the Sox will nickel and dime it... so I think Tapani is more in the Sox cost justified eye. God forbid we spend a buck.

KW said we are going to get a vet and we certainly need one. I'd like to see Schmidt join Wells, Buerle, and Garland and take my chances with some of the kids growing slowly to the starting role.

After injuries that the Sox pitchers have had... I wouldnt be counting on these guys having arm strength early in the season. Experts say pitchers usually need a year to regain full arm strength.

my 2 pennies

:sockem