PDA

View Full Version : Hall Of Famers

Lip Man 1
12-04-2004, 09:05 PM
I was thinking about this yesterday for some reason (God only knows why...) but how many Hall of Famers have you seen? I don't mean on TV, I mean at the ballpark.

Fans like Hal and Bob Vanderberg have probably seen a lot. I just though I'd throw this out there to see what kind of response there is.

I had to think long and hard about the question but I've been pretty lucky, I've seen a good number. Granted some of them were on the downside of their career but it was still nice to see them perform.

Orioles- Robin Roberts, Brooks Robinson
Red Sox - Carlton Fisk, Carl Yaztremski, Luis Aparicio
White Sox - Nellie Fox, Al Lopez (manager)
A's - Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter, Rollie Fingers
Twins - Rod Carew
Royals - George Brett
Brewers - Robin Yount
Reds - Johnny Bench, Tony Perez
Astros - Nolan Ryan, Joe Morgan

Lip

WinningUgly!
12-04-2004, 10:00 PM
This is a great idea Lip!

Carlton Fisk, Dennis Eckersly, George Brett, Robin Yount, Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Dave Winfield, Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken Jr, Kirby Puckett, Paul Molitor, Reggie Jackson, Rollie Fingers & Rod Carew.

PaulDrake
12-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Luis Aparicio, Nellie Fox, Al Lopez, Early Wynn, Casey Stengel, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Al Kaline, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Reggie Jackson, Eddie Murray, Carlton Fisk, Sparky Anderson, Orlando Cepeda, Willie Mays, Larry Doby, Earl Weaver, Tom Seaver, Joe Morgan, Johnny Bench, Carl Yastrzemski, Willie McCovey, Hoyt Wilhelm, Hank Aaron, Eddie Matthews, Gaylord Perry, Bill Mazeroski, Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, that should be almost all of them. In the interest of truth, justice and the American way I admit to also seeing Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Fergie Jenkins and Leo Durocher.There may be more players since I'm ancient but that's all I can think of right now. I also saw broadcasters Jack Brickhouse, Harry Caray, and Bob Prince. Prince was quite the character and Harry Caray read a message of mine while broadcasting a Sox game with the Yankees in Shea Stadium in 1975. That's right Shea Stadium. Yankee stadium underwent massive renovation from 1974-1975. In any case, that's about 30 seconds of fame for me. I've got 14 minutes and 30 seconds left. Last but not least, I saw Minnie Minoso as an Indian and one of us, and Billy Pierce. I wish both of them were in the Hall of Fame.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Paul:

I forgot I saw Gaylord Perry pitch against the Sox in 1973 when he was with Cleveland.

Lip

TommyJohn
12-04-2004, 10:57 PM
I worked at old and new Comiskey from 1985-93, so I've seen just about every American League HOF'er from that era and before. The first Hall member that I recall seeing in action was Hank Aaron when he was with the Brewers. It was a jersey day doubleheader in 1975.

idseer
12-04-2004, 11:30 PM
I was thinking about this yesterday for some reason (God only knows why...) but how many Hall of Famers have you seen? I don't mean on TV, I mean at the ballpark.

Fans like Hal and Bob Vanderberg have probably seen a lot. I just though I'd throw this out there to see what kind of response there is.

I had to think long and hard about the question but I've been pretty lucky, I've seen a good number. Granted some of them were on the downside of their career but it was still nice to see them perform.

Twins - Rod Carew
Royals - George Brett
Brewers - Robin Yount

Lip
i find it odd you list little looie with boston.
you never saw him with his original team?

batmanZoSo
12-04-2004, 11:38 PM
http://simpsons.metropoliglobal.com/famosos/4F05RodneyDangerfield.jpg
Oh, uh...well...once I saw a blimp.

misty60481
12-05-2004, 08:58 AM
I saw Satchell Paige pitch against the Sox in 48 and agree 100 % Billy Pierce3 & Minnie should definetly be in HOF

Lip Man 1
12-05-2004, 12:46 PM
That's correct...the first game I went to was June 15, 1963. I was eight. Looie was in his first year with the Orioles but he wasn't playing that day. When I saw him, it was in 1972 when he was with Boston. The White Sox won the game 2-1 with the big hit coming from Dick Allen, an RBI double.

Lip

PaulDrake
12-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Paul:

I forgot I saw Gaylord Perry pitch against the Sox in 1973 when he was with Cleveland.

Lip Add Warren Spahn to my list. I've attended MLB games since 1958 and I remember a lot, but certainly not everything. I'll keep searching my aging brain and see if I forgot anybody else.

hose
12-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Carlton Fisk, Louie Aparicio, Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton * Larry Dolby, *Bob Lemon

Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Jim Palmer, Eddie Murray * Earl Weaver

Rod Carew, Kirby Puckett, Harmon Killebrew

Catfish Hunter, Rollie Fingers, Reggie Jackson, Dennis Eckersly

Carl Yastremski

Paul Molitor, Robin Yount

George Brett

Gaylord Perry

Nolan Ryan

Dave Winfield

Don Sutton ( at his 300th win)

Hank Aaron, Phil Niekro

Mike Schmidt

Gary Carter

Joe Morgan, Johnny Bench, Tony Perez, * Sparky Anderson

Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell

Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Orlando Cepeda, Ozzie Smith

Juan Marichal, Willie McCovey, Willie Mays,

Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Fergie Jenkins, *Leo the Lip

*= manager

fquaye149
12-06-2004, 05:42 PM
* Larry Dolby,

*= manager

Was he managing in surround sound?

hose
12-06-2004, 06:20 PM
Was he managing in surround sound?

:redface:

ewokpelts
12-07-2004, 12:03 PM

Twins - Rod Carew
Royals - George Brett
Brewers - Robin Yount

Lipi gotten the chance to see a FUTURE hall of famer for the last 15 years.....and i plan on going to cooperstown on his induction day
:hurt

Gene