PDA

View Full Version : Victor Conte: 50% of MLB on some sort of steroids

StillMissOzzie
12-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Here's my dilemna: Not that I automatically assume that Conte is telling the truth and/or is accurate in his statement, but it really bothers me that there MAY be that many MLB players on the juice, but MLB testing can only detect something like 5% - 7%. Reminds me of a proverb that I'll adapt to this situation:

"As long as they (the drug designers) keep coming up with tougher cuts of meat, we (MLB drug testers) will have to come up with sharper knives."

As a final note, Conte also claimed that there is a "Clear III" that is currently undetectable.

SMO
:whiner:

FarWestChicago
12-04-2004, 01:11 AM
He's telling the truth.

http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=536659#post536659

ChiSoxRowand
12-04-2004, 01:13 AM
I don't believe 50% of players are on roids, especially after the mandatory testing started. But the reason they only got 5 to 7% back in 03 was that the players knew that a certain amount of positive tests (I think 5%?) would trigger mandatory testing.

FarWestChicago
12-04-2004, 01:18 AM
I don't believe 50% of players are on roids, especially after the mandatory testing started. But the reason they only got 5 to 7% back in 03 was that the players knew that a certain amount of positive tests (I think 5%?) would trigger mandatory testing.I think you forgot the teal.

Rocklive99
12-04-2004, 02:05 AM
Wow, you always heard guys like Canseco say it, and just kind of suspect it, but man, I don't know if I can ever watch the game the same after this. I decided to pop my 61* DVD in to actually watch some real baseball.

I don't want to sound like Dr. Phil or anything, but this is real bad for young kids. Hmmm, most MVP candidates and HR leaders are on roids. Even if Bonds is telling the truth about not knowing (which there is evidence that he is probably lieing), kids will see it as him not shattering the record til he used the steroids, probably prompting them to do the same.

Soxzilla
12-04-2004, 02:44 AM
At least I can rest assured my boy Frank isn't on the roids.

Jabroni
12-04-2004, 02:46 AM
Victor Conte also said that 80% of all MLB players are on some sort of stimulant (i.e. ephedrine) before they hit the field. :o:

PaleHoseGeorge
12-04-2004, 08:07 AM
I wonder if Conte has any inside dope on who helped Sham-ME with his high-tech corked bat? That's the one the umpires said was like nothing they've ever seen before. It looked like the cork had been liquefied and injected into the barrel.

Of course the barrel of Sham-ME's bat has mysteriously disappeared, whisked away in a flash by the Cubune's co-conspirators at the Urinal.
:mad:

Hell, NASA ought to get a look at that bat. They could probably use the technology to fix the Space Shuttle. If the D.R. beats us to building a new space station, you know who to blame.
:wink:

:lynch&mcfail
"Yes, we can confirm NASA has contacted us. No, we have no further comment about our discussions at this time."

Ol' No. 2
12-04-2004, 09:12 AM
I don't believe 50% of players are on roids, especially after the mandatory testing started. But the reason they only got 5 to 7% back in 03 was that the players knew that a certain amount of positive tests (I think 5%?) would trigger mandatory testing.Don't be ridiculous. They all knew the test was coming and when. It's not a drug test - it's an intelligence test. And apparently, at least 5% are dumb as posts.

gosox41
12-04-2004, 09:16 AM
Don't be ridiculous. They all knew the test was coming and when. It's not a drug test - it's an intelligence test. And apparently, at least 5% are dumb as posts.
Including this man::nandrolone

I still don't believe he had a back injury last season.
But it's a covenient excuse.

Bob

Paulwny
12-04-2004, 10:08 AM
If you believe Conti is telling the truth then you'd have to assume that some sox players are using.

FarWestChicago
12-04-2004, 12:39 PM
If you believe Conti is telling the truth then you'd have to assume that some sox players are using.If everybody else is doing it, there is no risk at all of getting caught and you can make several million dollars from it, I think it would be beyond naive to think no Sox players have juiced.

nitetrain8601
12-04-2004, 01:29 PM
What if we found out Paulie and Buehrle were juicing up??? WHat would you guys think of them?? Would you still want them on the team? I mean I think 'roids don't matter as much as people think because the bottomline is that fans want their teams to win. I mean if 50% are taking steroids, it's not like you're going to find someone who isn't doing it.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-04-2004, 02:12 PM
I mean if 50% are taking steroids, it's not like you're going to find someone who isn't doing it.
Your what hurts?

ja1022
12-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Victor Conte also said that 80% of all MLB players are on some sort of stimulant (i.e. ephedrine) before they hit the field. :o: In his book, Ball Four, Jim Bouton wrote that players ate "greenies" like candy. Ball Four is a diary of his 1969 season with the Seattle Pilots and is very entertaining.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-04-2004, 02:58 PM
In his book, Ball Four, Jim Bouton wrote that players ate "greenies" like candy. Ball Four is a diary of his 1969 season with the Seattle Pilots and is very entertaining. That's exactly what I was thinking about when I heard that quote, too. Ball Four was such a ground breaking book. It's been over 30 years since it was published and Conte thinks he's offering insights by telling us ballplayers use speed? What a joke...

These guys are not heroes, and many of them would hardly be qualified to pump gas if not for their unique talents playing baseball. After reading Ball Four you have a better perspective on the entire game. Four stars.

I find Conte's 50 percent figure completely believable and wouldn't be the least bit surprised to know 75 or 80 percent wasn't the true figure... and every single one of them should be banned from the game for doing so. I could care less about their excuses why they did it.

RKMeibalane
12-04-2004, 03:03 PM
If you believe Conti is telling the truth then you'd have to assume that some sox players are using.
I would expect that several Sox players are using regularly, or have at least experimented with steroids in the past. Guys like Juan Uribe and Jose Valentin never hit for as much power with their previous teams as they have with the Sox. Valentin's case is especially interesting, because his batting average sucks, yet he is able to hit home runs without too much difficulty. That sounds like steroid use to me.

santo=dorf
12-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Your what hurts?
Maybe it's Yogi Berra math? :dunno:

santo=dorf
12-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Including this man::nandrolone

I still don't believe he had a back injury last season.
But it's a covenient excuse.

BobBruce Levine was on Chicago Cubune: Live last night on Comcast Sports net and claims his source told him that Bonds and Sosa took tests last season and were clean.

but I don't buy the whole sneezing excuse either.

RKMeibalane
12-04-2004, 03:09 PM
I find Conte's 50 percent figure completely believable and wouldn't be the least bit surprised to know 75 or 80 percent wasn't the true figure... and every single one of them should be banned from the game for doing so. I could care less about their excuses why they did it.
I agree. The rules apply to everyone, and if certain players have decided to cheat in order to get ahead, it's their own fault if they're banned from the game. I'm tired of people breaking the rules, not only in baseball, but in other areas of society, and making excuses for it. Contrary to popular belief, people do have the ability to choose between one alternative and another.

This business of people saying, "I had no choice," needs to stop, and more than that, people need to stop making excuses for those individuals who can't follow rules. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Yes, so-and-so did something wrong, but I'm sure he had his reasons for it, so we're not going punish him."

*** is that? I can't wait until every fraud and cheater is banned from baseball once this is over. It's going to be a great day when the likes of Bonds, Giambi, Sosa, and whomever else was stupid enough to cheat gets what's coming to them.

RKMeibalane
12-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Bruce Levine was on Chicago Cubune: Live last night on Comcast Sports net and claims his source told him that Bonds and Sosa took tests last season and were clean.

but I don't buy the whole sneezing excuse either.
I can believe that Sosa was clean last season. It's what happened in each of the years before 2004 that I'm concerned about. There's no way Sosa could have accomplished what he did between 1998 and 2002 without juicing. He never showed any indication that he had the ability to hit home runs at that pace before, which leads me to believe that steroids played a role in what he accomplished. I will never be convinced otherwise.

RKMeibalane
12-04-2004, 03:15 PM
What if we found out Paulie and Buehrle were juicing up??? WHat would you guys think of them?? Would you still want them on the team? I mean I think 'roids don't matter as much as people think because the bottomline is that fans want their teams to win. I mean if 50% are taking steroids, it's not like you're going to find someone who isn't doing it.
As long as they remained members of the Sox franchise, I would hope that they were able to succeed because it would help the team. Beyond that, I probably would lose all respect I had for them, and if one or both of them happened to be traded, I wouldn't be the least bit sorry about it. There's no place in baseball for cheating of any kind. The turds who keep making excuses for Bonds, Sosa, and others need to knock it off.

dickallen15
12-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Bruce Levine was on Chicago Cubune: Live last night on Comcast Sports net and claims his source told him that Bonds and Sosa took tests last season and were clean.

but I don't buy the whole sneezing excuse either.Passing tests doesn't mean you are not on the juice. Sosa may be off, he has gotten a lot smaller both physically and statistically. The "clear" as it is called is now on its 3rd or 4th version, staying one step ahead of the tests. Conte says 50% of MLB players are on steroids. He also says he doesn't know if Bonds, who now admits it, has ever taken steroids. How does he come up with the 50% figure if he doesn't know whether one of the poster boys for this is juicing? There is no question Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, and Giambi juiced. I'm sure there are several White Sox players who have taken steriods. Conte is probably correct about the 50% figure. It probably is even higher. I read somewhere where you have to be an idiot to fail a steriod test. Levineline mentioned the other night that pitchers take as well. It makes sense. 25 years ago, throwing 90 MPH was gas. Its not anymore. Tawny Kittaen mentioned in her divorce documents that Chuck Finley used steriods. Maybe there is an explanation for Billy Koch's sudden drop in velocity. Several pitchers have dropped 5-7 mph this past year when the testing started. This coming out is good for the game. Players are going to be afraid to get caught. I think teams, before trading for or signing players, are now going to want to figure out if past performance was "enhanced." They don't want another Giambi on their hands. Someone owed a king's ransom who isn't much of a player when he's clean.

ja1022
12-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Check out the 1996 season for Brady Anderson.

Year Ag Tm Lg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI
1993 29 BAL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1993.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1993.shtml) 142 560 87 147 36 8 13 66
1994 30 BAL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1994.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1994.shtml) 111 453 78 119 25 5 12 48
1995 31 BAL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1995.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1995.shtml) 143 554 108 145 33 10 16 64
1996 32 BAL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1996.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1996.shtml) 149 579 117 172 37 5 50 110
1997 33 BAL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1997.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1997.shtml) 151 590 97 170 39 7 18 73
1998 34 BAL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1998.shtml) AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1998.shtml) 133 479 84 113 28 3 18 51

If in fact he was juicing only in 1996 like alot of people suspect, it makes you wonder why he quit. Integrity, health concerns maybe?

I would guess this was about the time steroid use started really getting out of hand in MLB. Caminiti admitted he was a user, and Canseco was using earlier, but this was about the time guys like Sosa, McGwire, and Bonds started putting up monster power numbers. Then you add to that the players "trying to maintain an even playing field", and prospects trying to gain a competitve edge, and so on.

You also have to wonder about the long term health effects of steroid use and abuse. Aside from sprains and strains on guys, look at the health problems Giambi is having. You have to wonder if it's all related.

flo-B-flo
12-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Wow, you always heard guys like Canseco say it, and just kind of suspect it, but man, I don't know if I can ever watch the game the same after this. I decided to pop my 61* DVD in to actually watch some real baseball.

I don't want to sound like Dr. Phil or anything, but this is real bad for young kids. Hmmm, most MVP candidates and HR leaders are on roids. Even if Bonds is telling the truth about not knowing (which there is evidence that he is probably lieing), kids will see it as him not shattering the record til he used the steroids, probably prompting them to do the same. The ball player kids will think they are hypocrites and some will think it is all right.

santo=dorf
12-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Dickallen and RK,

I mentioned Levine claiming Sosa passed a test last season to gosox41 in reference to this thread I started about Sosa's sneezing.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41079