PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie, PLEASE, NO!!!!!!

santo=dorf
12-03-2004, 04:06 PM
From rotoworld:

Free agent Andres Galarraga still hopes to get his 400th major league home run and has had conversations with White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.
Galarraga, who spent September with the Angels, hit No. 399 on the next to last day of the season
Is this what Ozzie meant by speed and defense?

manuelsucks
12-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Ha, if that happened I would just laugh. I guess he could DH if Frank isn't ready to start the season, but couldn't we just a Everett do that? That would be pathetic if it did happen though.

RKMeibalane
12-03-2004, 04:15 PM
I really hope Guillen and Williams aren't stupid enough to give this guy a chance. The Sox made this mistake before by letting Harold Baines hang on in order to have a shot at five hundred home runs, and that didn't work out well. Galarraga has had a nice career, but he's got nothing left in the tank. The Sox would be better off focusing their attention on getting another starting pitcher.

soltrain21
12-03-2004, 04:17 PM
I really hope Guillen and Williams aren't stupid enough to give this guy a chance. The Sox made this mistake before by letting Harold Baines hang on in order to have a shot at five hundred home runs, and that didn't work out well. Galarraga has had a nice career, but he's got nothing left in the tank. The Sox would be better off focusing their attention on getting another starting pitcher.

Harold was the only one in the playoffs who did anything. Remember when he legged out that triple?!

jabrch
12-03-2004, 04:18 PM
as a part time DH while Frank is on the shelf, is this really a bad signing? It's not like he'd make more than the MLB vet. minimum. He hit .301 in 272 ABs in 2003. As long as the plan isn't to play him every day, I think he could serve some purpose. Signing Galaraga isn't going to change any other potential FA signings. Come on - it's not like it is Galaraga OR Beltran.

HomeFish
12-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Harold was the only one in the playoffs who did anything.

A certain Milkman would like a few words with you...

ja1022
12-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Having missed out on Omar Vizquel, Ozzie Guillen sets his sights on adding Andres "The Big Cat" Galarraga to his Venezuelan baseball player collection....

Ol' No. 2
12-03-2004, 04:27 PM
Can he pass a steroid test?

ChiSoxRowand
12-03-2004, 04:36 PM
All this move would do is take up space on the roster.

longshot7
12-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Sign him, he hits #400, then release him.

Jabroni
12-03-2004, 05:07 PM
I actually have no problem with this. If we trade Konerko and Gload struggles with the starting job, we will at least have a veteran backup to replace him at 1B. If we don't trade Konerko but Frank misses the start of next season, we will at least have a DH. Remember, Carl Everett is expected to be our starting RF'er next season.

By the way, why is everyone so down on Galarraga? Yeah, he runs slower than molasses on a cold day but he can still hit. Since he didn't really get any at bats last season, here are his 2003 numbers with the Giants...

Andres Galarraga (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=114526&statType=1)
272 AB
.301 AVG
.352 OBP
12 HR
42 RBI

That isn't bad at all for a backup 1B/DH who will play for next to nothing.

jabrch
12-03-2004, 05:42 PM
All this move would do is take up space on the roster.

Yeah, those damn .300 hitters who don't mind only playing a few times a week....

Soxzilla
12-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Hopefully Kenny will remember what happened the last time he signed someone so they could attain a record.

Foulke29
12-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Uhm - I assume you mean Canseco - because Baines didn't have a chance for 500 home runs at any point in his career!

RKMeibalane
12-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Uhm - I assume you mean Canseco - because Baines didn't have a chance for 500 home runs at any point in his career!
No, I meant Baines. He really was trying to get 500 during his final years with the Sox. That's why he was around in 2001.

jabrch
12-03-2004, 06:17 PM
No, I meant Baines. He really was trying to get 500 during his final years with the Sox. That's why he was around in 2001.

He would have needed about 120 HRs that year to make 500. Are you talking about him hanging around for 3000 hits? Cuz that was far more likely...

Foulke29
12-03-2004, 06:46 PM
I think someone's been feedling you bad information. He needed well over 100 HR to reach that goal. However, I believe he was less than 200 hits away from 3000 hits.

Jabroni
12-03-2004, 06:53 PM
I think someone's been feedling you bad information. He needed well over 100 HR to reach that goal. However, I believe he was less than 200 hits away from 3000 hits.You are correct. Harold was trying to reach 3,000 hits...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/baineha01.shtml

Harold ended his career with 2,866 hits and 384 home runs.

dcb33
12-03-2004, 06:59 PM
Why is everyone so worried about signing this guy? I'm sure the Mets or O's will step in and offer him a bigger contract than JR would....

SEALgep
12-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Why is everyone opposed to a possible very cheap option to replace Frank at DH until he's ready to go?

Jabroni
12-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Why is everyone opposed to a possible very cheap option to replace Frank at DH until he's ready to go?Good question. Galarraga could even play 1B if we trade Konerko. :?:

santo=dorf
12-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Why is everyone opposed to a possible very cheap option to replace Frank at DH until he's ready to go?
Because Neal Cotts would be a better option at DH. He batted 1.000, and had a slugging of 2.000 last season. :D:
Andres would be a waste of a roster space.

SEALgep
12-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Because Neal Cotts would be a better option at DH. He batted 1.000, and had a slugging of 2.000 last season. :D:
Andres would be a waste of a roster space.Although old, he has produced, and has shown he can do so with limited playing time as well. I just think that if he signs a reasonable contract, it is a reasonable risk. With Thomas out, it makes sense to me.

ondafarm
12-03-2004, 08:27 PM
I disagree. I played with people who played with Galarraga in Japan. Universally, they raved about him as a teammate. He'd be like having another bench coach who also hits .300.

A steal I'd say.

jabrch
12-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Andres would be a waste of a roster space.

That's silly.

santo=dorf
12-04-2004, 01:19 PM
That's silly.
The guy is slow, old, and yet another 1B/DH. What are we going to do once Frank is healthy? We would have Gload, Konerko, Everett, Thomas, and Andres, but only 3 spots in the lineup for RF, DH and 1B. I would sign Andres only if Konerko is traded, and Frank is going to miss more time than expected.

Why not sign Fred McGriff? I'd rather get 7 HR from him (he has 493) than just get a single home run from Andres Galarraga.

bc2k
12-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Hopefully Kenny will remember what happened the last time he signed someone so they could attain a record.

That would be Mike Jackson, so he could obtain something like 2,000 career appearances. KW kept around the "groundball" pitcher who gave up grand slam after grand slam, just so he could get 2,000.

If I remember correctly, there was another veteran relief pitcher giving solid competition to Jackson in Spring Training. It might have been KW's desire to keep Jackson to allow him a meaningless statistic, as opposed to which pitcher would have helped the team more.

Then KW releases him after Jackson gets 2,000, and KW's says so he has a chance to get picked up by a playoff team. Comical.

JKryl
12-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Sign him, he hits #400, then release him.
Why not, they did it to Fisk.

White Sox baseball, every day is an adventure.

Soxzilla
12-05-2004, 12:23 AM
That would be Mike Jackson, so he could obtain something like 2,000 career appearances. KW kept around the "groundball" pitcher who gave up grand slam after grand slam, just so he could get 2,000.

If I remember correctly, there was another veteran relief pitcher giving solid competition to Jackson in Spring Training. It might have been KW's desire to keep Jackson to allow him a meaningless statistic, as opposed to which pitcher would have helped the team more.

Then KW releases him after Jackson gets 2,000, and KW's says so he has a chance to get picked up by a playoff team. Comical.
It was 1000, but your absolutely correct.

Ironically, I had MJ in my MVP season, and got him up to 999. And then released him.

:bandance: :bandance:

SOXSINCE'70
12-05-2004, 10:03 AM
A certain Milkman would like a few words with you...
Charles Johnson didn't do too bad either.:cool: :cool:

bc2k
12-05-2004, 01:53 PM
It was 1000, but your absolutely correct.

Ironically, I had MJ in my MVP season, and got him up to 999. And then released him.

:bandance: :bandance:
:D:lol