PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Alomar Jr. close to signing

Jjav829
12-03-2004, 07:54 AM
with the Phillies. He was in Philadelphia yesterday to take a physical and is expected to sign a contract today.

Link (http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/10327796.htm)

munchman33
12-03-2004, 08:52 AM
So long Sandy. Thanks for three craptacular seasons!

Soxzilla
12-03-2004, 09:48 AM
:threadrules:

Now we just have to get rid of the other one.

JRIG
12-03-2004, 09:58 AM
Don't worry. I'm sure we'll be trading for him halfway through the season.

soxfan26
12-03-2004, 10:18 AM
Took the words right from my mouth.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Don't worry. I'm sure we'll be trading for him halfway through the season. :KW
"I keep getting those Alomar brothers confused."

http://flyingsock.com/BaseballCards/Alomar69.jpg
"Hey, the White Sox just sent me an invitation to spring training! My first one since 1971!"

http://flyingsock.com/BaseballCards/Alomar68.jpg

soxfan26
12-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Sources added yesterday that the Phillies are close to pulling the trigger on a trade with the Yankees after concluding that Lofton is a better option than the Milwaukee's Scott Podsednik or Cincinnati's Ryan Freel.
I don't know much about the Phillies needs overall, but I am a big fan of Ryan Freel. He's a super-utility guy, who had good numbers and a great OBP. I wouldn't mind him at #2 in my lineup.

Jjav829
12-03-2004, 11:13 AM
I don't know much about the Phillies needs overall, but I am a big fan of Ryan Freel. He's a super-utility guy, who had good numbers and a great OBP. I wouldn't mind him at #2 in my lineup.I'm a big fan of Ryan Freel as well and that certainly caught my eye. I'm not sure why the Reds would want to deal him though. He's a nice super-utility guy for them to have. Maybe they feel his value is at its peak right now and are looking to sell high. They might think he's a candidate for Scott Podsednik type year.

Palehose13
12-03-2004, 11:20 AM
I think Sandy has always been a stand-up guy and was really nice to me the few times that I met him. I wish him the best of luck!

Brian26
12-03-2004, 12:27 PM
How quickly we forget the opening day dinger, the big hit in KC in 2003 down the stretch, the years of mentoring our young catchers and calling games from the dugout. Sandy did a good job in my book.

whitesoxwilkes
12-03-2004, 01:33 PM
How quickly we forget the opening day dinger, the big hit in KC in 2003 down the stretch, the years of mentoring our young catchers and calling games from the dugout. Sandy did a good job in my book.
Right on, Brian. One of my favorites to ever wear the pinstripes.

I just hope him going to Philly for what I presume will be one year doesn't preclude him from coming back here when his playing days are over to work in the organization.

BRDSR
12-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Exactly. I can see that it might have been time for Sandy to leave the organization for a few different reasons, but I'm not sure why everyones in such a rush to run him out of town. I thought he was a standup player and individual and it's too bad he won't be behind the plate 60 times this year. Take care Sandy.

SomebodyToldMe
12-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Exactly. I can see that it might have been time for Sandy to leave the organization for a few different reasons, but I'm not sure why everyones in such a rush to run him out of town. I thought he was a standup player and individual and it's too bad he won't be behind the plate 60 times this year. Take care Sandy.
I'm not running him out of town...I just thought that he took up money and was a waste of a roster spot...That's it.

SoxFan76
12-03-2004, 03:51 PM
I'm not running him out of town...I just thought that he took up money and was a waste of a roster spot...That's it.
He'd make a damn good bench coach. Preferably for the White Sox.

RKMeibalane
12-03-2004, 04:20 PM
I hope things work out for Sandy. He's had a nice career, and I hope he's able to remain in baseball once he decides to hang up his spikes. He would make a good bench coach for the Sox. Maybe they'll bring him back for 2006.

SomebodyToldMe
12-03-2004, 04:24 PM
He'd make a damn good bench coach. Preferably for the White Sox.No doubt. They should have just made him a coach last year instead of having him on the bench all the time anyway.

doublem23
12-03-2004, 08:13 PM
No doubt. They should have just made him a coach last year instead of having him on the bench all the time anyway.
You just can't "make" somebody a coach.

Jjav829
12-04-2004, 09:58 AM
...or not.

Meanwhile, the expected signing of Alomar as the backup catcher was put on hold after an MRI exam of his left knee during a physical in Philadelphia on Thursday raised a red flag.
Link (http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/10337337.htm?1c)

SoxFan76
12-04-2004, 03:46 PM
...or not.

Link (http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/10337337.htm?1c)
The man has no knees left. If you look hard enough, there is actually nothing there between his thighs and shins. But seriously, being a catcher really messes up your knees. Maybe he will be the bench coach for 2005 after all.

hose
12-04-2004, 05:36 PM
LOL!!!!