PDA

View Full Version : The saddest thing about the 'roid scandal

FarWestChicago
12-03-2004, 01:20 AM
:nandrolone

Nobody has implicated me. There are advantages to using cash in the Carribbean. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

SomebodyToldMe
12-03-2004, 01:25 AM
It is sad...dammit.

doublem23
12-03-2004, 03:25 AM
Nobody has implicated me. There are advantages to using cash in the Carribbean. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gifThe best $10,000 he ever "lost"? :rolleyes:

PaleHoseGeorge
12-03-2004, 08:53 AM
It's a house of cards. Sosa might very well be the last one they bring down. However there are soooo many ballplayers with soooo much at stake, they will tell prosecutors *anything* they know about Sosa just to protect themselves.

Once one of Sosa's trainers has been trapped and is facing serious charges... the trainer will run back to the D.R. never to be seen again. No seriously, he'll either talk and rat out Sosa or fall on his sword and go to jail to save Sosa. Of course running away to the D.R. is another alternative, but that only taints Sosa even more in the court of public opinion. I can live with that.
:cool:

The REAL 2000 A.L. MVP -----> :hurt

Flight #24
12-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Isn't there a Sox fan in the DR that can out DoReLCo? (DOminican REpublic Laboratory COoperative):cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
12-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Here's another prediction. Before this story plays out (and I believe it will take nearly a full year), Sosa will publicly claim the prosecutors are pursuing leads against him because of racist motives. This ****er will stop at NOTHING to save his own ass.

I also predict this will have exactly the opposite effect Sosa was hoping for. Instead of everyone rallying around Sosa to save him from the big bad racist prosecutor, 2-3 key witnesses sitting on the fence will immediately go to the grand jury with their stories... and Sosa's web of lies will finally become fully revealed.

Ah folks, we're not even remotely close to getting to the really good stuff this unfolding story has to offer.

Justafan
12-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Is Dusty Baker in trouble for any of this since he said he has never seen any of this stuff before when asked about it last year? Can you imagine Bonds saying, "Oh, Dusty knew, he was just covering his own ass".

Ol' No. 2
12-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Here's a thought that just might make you hurl:

If Bonds gets stripped of his HR record, that would leave McGwire. But McGwire has also admitted taking Andro. Even though it's legal, the uproar over steroids could prompt MLB into voiding his record, too. That leaves the record for most HR in a season to a guy who's not been PROVEN to have taken anything "stronger than Flintstone vitamins".

CubKilla
12-03-2004, 10:01 AM
The best $10,000 he ever "lost"? :rolleyes:
It was $20,000 I believe :wink:

Palehose13
12-03-2004, 10:09 AM
Here's another prediction. Before this story plays out (and I believe it will take nearly a full year), Sosa will publicly claim the prosecutors are pursuing leads against him because of racist motives. This ****er will stop at NOTHING to save his own ass.

I also predict this will have exactly the opposite effect Sosa was hoping for. Instead of everyone rallying around Sosa to save him from the big bad racist prosecutor, 2-3 key witnesses sitting on the fence will immediately go to the grand jury with their stories... and Sosa's web of lies will finally become fully revealed.

Ah folks, we're not even remotely close to getting to the really good stuff this unfolding story has to offer.
Yep. I can see it happening, George. Makes me sick. One hting that also makes me sick is that SOsa has now fallen out of grace with cub fans. It would have been sweet to see him get implicated, have them stand behind him (like corkgate) and then have him get busted.

Risk
12-03-2004, 10:38 AM
:nandrolone

Nobody has implicated me. There are advantages to using cash in the Carribbean. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Oh no, your time is coming...:D:

Risk

Foulke You
12-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Yep. I can see it happening, George. Makes me sick. One hting that also makes me sick is that SOsa has now fallen out of grace with cub fans. It would have been sweet to see him get implicated, have them stand behind him (like corkgate) and then have him get busted.
Rest assured, should Sosa come back to the Cubs in 2005, the idiot fans will welcome him with open arms as they always do. I've never been more sure about anything. I can see the "Still Lovin Sammy" banners in RF now...

Now, it would definitely be sweet to see Sosa be the next card to fall in the steroid scandal.

southsider17
12-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Rest assured, should Sosa come back to the Cubs in 2005, the idiot fans will welcome him with open arms as they always do. I've never been more sure about anything. I can see the "Still Lovin Sammy" banners in RF now...

Now, it would definitely be sweet to see Sosa be the next card to fall in the steroid scandal.
I'd rather he get exposed after he eats up the cubs $17 or $18 mil this year. If he's outed now then they may try to void the contract ala Yanks/Giambi.

I wanna see that cancer stay on the cubs this year.

:bandance:

Rocklive99
12-03-2004, 12:01 PM
The Score was saying that one of the reasons that the Mets have completely shut down the Sosa trade talks was that the Giambi news was a realization that Sosa would probably soon be assumed as taking them

It's kind of scary that all these atheltes that have been named before have a Bay Area or Balco connection, knowing that there is probably a whole bunch more that got them from somewhere else. What about people from the East Coast?

cburns
12-03-2004, 12:10 PM
It really makes me mad when I gloat to my Cubs friends about how much of a piece Sosa is and always was, and now they agree with me. Heck, two years ago they were still all over his shrunken nuts, I can't wait to see this guy get brought down. This is something about Frank Thomas I really admire. YOU KNOW he has never taken any sort of steroid.

jackbrohamer
12-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Bud Selig and the rest of the owners deserve a lot of blame for the scandal also. Anybody with a pair of eyes had to know something was up when hitters started looking like pro wrestlers, guys like Brady Anderson started hitting 50 HR and every single-season HR record was being shattered.

Selig still says the great 1998 HR race was good for baseball, he and the other owners didn't give a rats' ass if it was because of rampant steroid abuse as long as it put a few extra bucks in their pockets. Selig only started talking about steroids after Canseco and Caminitti blew the cover, and the testing program MLB and the players' union agreed to is a joke.

Look for Selig to minimize as much as he can and argue that it's not that big a deal.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-03-2004, 12:12 PM
It's kind of scary that all these atheltes that have been named before have a Bay Area or Balco connection, knowing that there is probably a whole bunch more that got them from somewhere else. What about people from the East Coast?
Yep. Now it's just a matter of connecting the dots between the doctors and trainers at Balco with those providing the same training to others around the country. These people do not work in a vacuum. Everybody is connected to everybody else, and you don't need seven degrees of Kevin Bacon to make it work.

This is going to get good.

Justafan
12-03-2004, 12:14 PM
PHG, Do you think Dusty is crapping his pants or not?

Flight #24
12-03-2004, 12:20 PM
PHG, Do you think Dusty is crapping his pants or not?
Yeah, but he's blaming the stain on Steve Stone & Chip Caray.

Baby Fisk
12-03-2004, 12:21 PM
On the flipside, as the steroid-user dominoes begin to fall, this ongoing story will do well to enhance this man's stature in the history books:

:hurt

Flight #24
12-03-2004, 12:32 PM
On the flipside, as the steroid-user dominoes begin to fall, this ongoing story will do well to enhance this man's stature in the history books:

:hurt
If the local papers had an ounce of journalistic integrity, they'd be writing about how Frank got screwed by a juiced up Giambi in 2000, and how he's quite possibly the only one of the great offensive stars of the past decade not to be chemically enhanced.

I'm not holding my breath for it though.

Ol' No. 2
12-03-2004, 12:34 PM
If the local papers had an ounce of journalistic integrity, they'd be writing about how Frank got screwed by a juiced up Giambi in 2000, and how he's quite possibly the only one of the great offensive stars of the past decade not to be chemically enhanced.

I'm not holding my breath for it though.Tomorrow's Trib Headline:

Bonds, Giambi took steroids. Sosa not implicated.

Baby Fisk
12-03-2004, 12:40 PM
Tomorrow's Trib Headline:

Bonds, Giambi took steroids. Sosa not implicated.Bonds, Giambi took steroids.
Sosa not implicated; Thomas, Konerko not cleared. :rolleyes:

santo=dorf
12-03-2004, 12:59 PM
It was $20,000 I believe :wink:
His agent claims it was only $1000. :rolleyes:
http://www.torontosun.com/Slam020208/mlb_sosa-ap.html

Someone posted this on the whitesox.com board (I know!)

"ESPN1000 is reporting (a Newsday story) that the Mets are no longer pursuing Sammy Sosa in light of Jason Giambi's revelations of steroid use. "

What is that supposed to mean? :D:

Huisj
12-03-2004, 01:19 PM
I hate to be the pessimist here, but how does everyone absolutely know that Thomas has never taken steroids? I know he tried to help stage that walk out thing on the tests a few years back, and he's said numerous times that he hasn't and that he doesn't like it that it happens. But who's to say that he's not covering things up the same as everyone else?

I'm not accusing him of it either, and I really really really hope he never has, and have decent reasons to think he hasn't. But doesn't anyone else have that one little ounce of doubt too?

Flight #24
12-03-2004, 01:23 PM
I hate to be the pessimist here, but how does everyone absolutely know that Thomas has never taken steroids? I know he tried to help stage that walk out thing on the tests a few years back, and he's said numerous times that he hasn't and that he doesn't like it that it happens. But who's to say that he's not covering things up the same as everyone else?

I'm not accusing him of it either, and I really really really hope he never has, and have decent reasons to think he hasn't. But doesn't anyone else have that one little ounce of doubt too?
Either Frank never took them, or he was taking them in high school (possible). His body type hasn't changed significantly ala Bonds, Sham-Me, etc. Combine that with his outspoken stance and supposed leadership of the aborted test walkout in ST and I think it's extremely unlikely. Plus, he's never really had a major boost in performance.

gosox41
12-03-2004, 01:34 PM
It really makes me mad when I gloat to my Cubs friends about how much of a piece Sosa is and always was, and now they agree with me. Heck, two years ago they were still all over his shrunken nuts, I can't wait to see this guy get brought down. This is something about Frank Thomas I really admire. YOU KNOW he has never taken any sort of steroid.
Just chalk it up to ignorance on Cub fans. Most of them are bandwagon jumpers and fair weather fans. Every Cubs fan I talk to now wants Sosa out of town and claims they've wanted him gone for years.

Yet when I point out that they've been going to games for years and ask them who are all those fans that stand up and clap whenever Sosa makes his moron run to the OF they say it wasn't them.

It has to be some of them.

Heck, my friend got married early Sept in 1998. He honeymooned in Hawaii and would take breaks from sitting by hte pool or sightseeing to run to the nearest bar to see how Sosa was doing in the HR race. But now he claims he was never in his corner.

Bob

gosox41
12-03-2004, 01:34 PM

I'd bet a lot of money that Frank never took steroids while a Major League player.

Bob

SOXSINCE'70
12-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Oh no, your time is coming...:D:

Risk
Let's hope so. And soon.:angry: :angry:

soxrme
12-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Bud Selig and the rest of the owners deserve a lot of blame for the scandal also. Anybody with a pair of eyes had to know something was up when hitters started looking like pro wrestlers, guys like Brady Anderson started hitting 50 HR and every single-season HR record was being shattered.

Selig still says the great 1998 HR race was good for baseball, he and the other owners didn't give a rats' ass if it was because of rampant steroid abuse as long as it put a few extra bucks in their pockets. Selig only started talking about steroids after Canseco and Caminitti blew the cover, and the testing program MLB and the players' union agreed to is a joke.

Look for Selig to minimize as much as he can and argue that it's not that big a deal.I could not agree more. Selig should just shut up and quit. I wonder is Corky will invite him to the birthday party this year!:angry:

fusillirob1983
12-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Frank's been big since he's been in the league. He also played football in college, so he probably had done more weightlifting than not all, but many other baseball players. I don't think he used steroids.

voodoochile
12-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Frank's been big since he's been in the league. He also played football in college, so he probably had done more weightlifting than not all, but many other baseball players. I don't think he used steroids.
If it's true that it also increases head size then Frank is innocent...

Not a giant melon to be found ------------------->:hurt

RKMeibalane
12-03-2004, 04:16 PM

Frank Thomas was not part of the walkout during ST in 2003. He was actually somewhere else when several Sox players staged the walkout. He came back later and Sandy Alomar told him what happened. Mariotti tried to trash Frank over what happened, even though he had nothing to do with it.

Huisj
12-03-2004, 08:06 PM
You guys all make good points about Thomas, and I definitely agree that it seems highly improbably that he ever did steroids. It would be nice if other folks around the baseball could recognize this and see Frank for the great great hitter he has been and maybe still can be (i guess we'll see how his injury heals this coming season).

StillMissOzzie
12-03-2004, 09:00 PM

I'm not holding my breath for it though.
On part of Dan Patrick's radio show on ESPN (1000 AM in Chicago),they did address exactly this topic, as well as the financial implications.
How much MORE money did Giambi get to screw the Yankees out of by having "2000 AL MVP" on his resume, and how much did Frank get screwed out of by NOT having "3-time AL MVP" on his?

In a related story, I also heard about the Mets having second thoughts on Sosa, fearing the same steroid withdrawal signs exhibited by Giambi.

SMO
:gulp:

StillMissOzzie
12-03-2004, 11:37 PM

That's not what I'm getting from the sCrUB faithful, FY. It seems that the sCrUB fans I know are as quick to jump off the bandwagon as they are to jump on. Not only are they more than ready to dump Sosa, ready to acknowledge that maybe he's been on the juice, ready to admit that yeah, maybe he does strike out too much, leave runners stranded in scoring position, etc., but now acting like they NEVER liked the guy! Which gives me the opportunity to repeat this true story from a few years back:

sCrUB fan: Hey, what did the Cubs do today?
Me: They lost 8-0
sCrub fan: Did Sammy hit one?
Me: uh, no...

SMO
:gulp:

flo-B-flo
12-04-2004, 12:38 AM
I'd rather he get exposed after he eats up the cubs $17 or $18 mil this year. If he's outed now then they may try to void the contract ala Yanks/Giambi.

I wanna see that cancer stay on the cubs this year.

:bandance: Yes this would be JUSTICE. "I got huge on flintstones". Yea .....ok........ and the shirts take a hit.

FarWestChicago
12-04-2004, 01:09 AM
Nothing is going to happen to Sham-ME. His blowing cash for common 'roids in the Carribbean will turn out to be a brilliant move.

I watched Victor Conte's interview tonight. As expected, no baseball players were implicated. They were basically of no interest to him. The man was a professional. His job was to not get caught in sports that test for drugs, mostly Olympic athletes and football. Baseball is such an unreal joke, virtually WWE, it's not even a concern for a man like him. He did say he thinks 50%+ in baseball are using 'roids and almost all are using stimulants.

The whole interview was fascinating for those of us who have watched the sordid 'roids tale since the East German government chemists basically forced the rest of the sporting world into using or losing. One of the last moments was most telling. Sprinter Kelly White was perhaps Conte's greatest chemical achievement, a "hyper responder" who went from nothing to double gold in a very brief time. But, this happened when he had been outed by the trainer who sent the syringe to the feds. She was stripped of her medals. And the two women who got her golds have subsequently been busted for 'roid use. This is in the sport with the most stringent random drug testing there is. Just what do you think is going on in the absolute joke that baseball is? http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gif