PDA

View Full Version : Complete Link of FA's w/ Ages

CPditka
12-02-2004, 02:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/freeagents

The good names seem to be shrinking, what does everyone think about the possibility of signing Pokey Reese to play Short, I think he would fit in the clubhouse well.

chisoxmike
12-02-2004, 05:48 PM
:reinsy
'Ha! Do you Sox fans really think I'm going to try and IMPROVE this team??? Second place is good enough. Besides didn't you guys read the thread about the money we get when we finish in 2nd?"

:KW
"Hey Jerry, we got to look at Maggs, and he's 100%, why not increase payroll and lets sign him to a 5-year $95 million deal? Then, lets go out and get a top of the line starting pitcher?"

:reinsy
"No, no, no, how about we use that money to buy me a new house and boat as a gift for me for the hoilday?"

BRDSR
12-02-2004, 06:16 PM
The good names seem to be shrinking, what does everyone think about the possibility of signing Pokey Reese to play Short, I think he would fit in the clubhouse well.
The confused noise that Scooby Doo made when he was confused comes to mind. I assume you mean him to replace Willie Harris and have Uribe move over to second, but lets look at some comparisons between Harris and Pokey.
It's not very fair to look at Pokey's last two seasons or Willie before 2004 as neither were playing on a consistent basis over those periods of time. Regardless, Reese' best OBP is .330 while Willie's from last year was .343. That is a number I would expect to rise from Willie and decline from Pokey. Willie's average last year was .262 and aside from one year, Pokey's best is .264. In his last full season, Pokey stole 12 bases while Willie stole 19 this past season and baserunning is a skill acquired with experience. Thats why Carlos Lee is relatively successful without much speed. Willie's 51 walks is more than Pokey has ever had in less at bats. Based on the two bad seasons Pokey has had recently and the upside potential for Harris, along with the fact that it would eat up a portion of our precious payroll, I would say this is not a smart move.