PDA

View Full Version : Intro BS: How many times do we have to hear the starting lineup?

mweflen
12-02-2004, 12:38 PM
I haven't noticed anyone else mentioning this, so maybe I'm the only one annoyed (hey, it's happened before :D: ). But jeez, are the introductions to the game getting unbelievably incessant, or what?

First, they added the "history" video. Okay. Fine the first 50 times I saw it. The stirring anthemic music is nice for even 60 or 70 repeat hearings.

But this year, they've added not one, not two, but THREE additional layers of BS to the intro. First, the "NEEEXT..." guy who summarizes the day's matchup (as if we need help to know that a Sox-Indians game is a matchup of Central Division also-rans). Then, a second "music video" plays. Finally, they added the "player intros" where the players have to file out when their names are called - further lengthening the whole rigamarole, embarrassing the player (watch them when they come out some time), and repeating exactly what they did by announcing the lineups before the videos.

Now, we hear that cheerleaders are going to be added in 2005?

Is anyone else tired of this? Personally, after watching it 30 times in 04, and the pared down version 90 times in the past 3 seasons before that, I feel like my intelligence as a Sox fan is being insulted. Do I need so much clatter and din just to be interested in a baseball game? They don't do this kind of stuff at the Urinal, baseball's equivalent of a developmental disability ward...

Announce the linup ONCE and get on with the game! Yeesh!

chisoxmike
12-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Cheerleaders are probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard of at a baseball game. It will go down (if this is true) as one of the sad attempts to get the fans into the game along with that ass Joe Stephan and his dugout dancers in the late '90s.

I dont mind the lineups when they are each called out on to the field, but there is a bit of an overkill when they started to show the ex-players montage, then that field of dreams video that has run for the past 4 years now. I would like to see something cut out in 2005.

Cheerleaders in baseball....stupid, stupid, stupid.

Brian26
12-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Is anyone else tired of this?

I love everything about the new opening. The history video, the individual player intros, the AC/DC...I thought it was great. I hope they continue with it in '05.

mweflen
12-02-2004, 12:59 PM
I liked it in 2000 when they announced the lineups in a normal way (reading down the line for both teams, pausing for applause); had ONE video, then the whole team ran out as one.

Since then, both the team intro and the team fortunes have gone downhill. Not saying there's a connection, but I can't help feeling like adding layers of baloney is just a way to gloss over the fact that we have a pretty mediocre team.

It seems kind of counter to the team concept to have guys run out of the dugout individually. Plus, when they used to run out of the dugout as a group, there was a nice big cheer.

munchman33
12-02-2004, 01:31 PM
I love everything about the new opening. The history video, the individual player intros, the AC/DC...I thought it was great. I hope they continue with it in '05.
I'd be disappointed if they got rid of the "Thunder" intro. I got chills when Frank was in the lineup and just when they announced his name the song went "You've been.......Thunderstruck!!!"

pudge
12-02-2004, 02:23 PM
I agree that it is all utter crap, but everyone talks about how the Sox should magnify their differences with the Cubs, and this is certainly a major difference.

idseer
12-02-2004, 02:26 PM
ummmmmm ... what are y'all talking about? :?:

anewman35
12-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Is anyone else tired of this? Personally, after watching it 30 times in 04, and the pared down version 90 times in the past 3 seasons before that, I feel like my intelligence as a Sox fan is being insulted.
Not everybody is at every game, or at 30 games a season. What about a person who's never seen it before?

Anyway, it might be a bit over the top, but it gets people pumped up and doesn't hurt anything. What's the harm?

skottyj242
12-02-2004, 02:32 PM
I think you guys are forgetting that, at least in my opinion, they're not playing the long intro for people like us. Geez, I go to at least fifty games a year and whatever they do will be overkilled just because I've seen it so many times. I still get chills though when I see my guys take the field though. I think the ling intro and the fireworks and all that crap are for the kids and the casual fan. Maybe one day one of your kids will go to a game and ask you about one of the players he saw on the video. I don't know, maybe I'm totally wrong but that's my opinion.

the_valenstache
12-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Not everybody is at every game, or at 30 games a season. What about a person who's never seen it before?
Exactly. Another "complaining for the sake of complaining" post.

Kids love it. I'm all for making the experience enjoyable for kids. Did we forget what it was like to be 7 years old at a baseball game? I don't know about you, but I wasn't keeping score and grumbling about scoreboard races (well, they didn't exist then anyway, but you get the point...) I'm not saying we should convert USCF into Six Flags: Chicago White Sox, but what harm is done in providing entertainment for the little ones?

If it bothers you so much, show up in the 2nd inning.

mjharrison72
12-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Exactly. Another "complaining for the sake of complaining" post.

Kids love it. I'm all for making the experience enjoyable for kids. Did we forget what it was like to be 7 years old at a baseball game? I don't know about you, but I wasn't keeping score and grumbling about scoreboard races (well, they didn't exist then anyway, but you get the point...) I'm not saying we should convert USCF into Six Flags: Chicago White Sox, but what harm is done in providing entertainment for the little ones?

If it bothers you so much, show up in the 2nd inning.But I am all in favor of putting a roller-coaster at USCF.

mantis1212
12-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Uhhh, what??? I never heard this. Someone please tell me this is NOT happening.

mweflen
12-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Complaining for the sake of complaining is my god-given compansation for being made a White Sox fan.:dtroll:

I am not arguing for just reading the lineup in a quiet voice and starting the game. (although it seems to work fine for the Yankees...) I like the players all running out at once. I like ONE video before the start of the game. (maybe they could rotate them?) I like music and fun and all that.

But it's been taken to extreme excess. I just do NOT like sitting in my seat for 20 minutes having my ears blasted out, waiting for the damn game to start. I don't need to see or hear the lineup twice. I doubt any kids get some special thrill from an ESPN Radio guy "previewing" the game and shouting "NEEEEXXXXTTT" (I mean, you're there. Is it NOT going to be "next" one time, just as a surprise? Are they going to show a cartoon or a Fire game, instead?)

Baseball is exciting enough to survive without a constant audio-visual assault. People wonder why kids today all have ADHD. Well, cram them full of sugar and take them to a White Sox game, and you'll see why.

It's as though Uncle Jerry wants to turn the Sox into the baseball version of the Bulls. Except without the champtionship dynasty. But he's got the rebuilding part down...

skottyj242
12-02-2004, 02:59 PM
I for one love the Dave Wills NEEEEEEEEEXT.

the_valenstache
12-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Baseball is exciting enough to survive without a constant audio-visual assault. People wonder why kids today all have ADHD. Well, cram them full of sugar and take them to a White Sox game, and you'll see why.What about the children who come for the simple pleasure of watching 3 different types of pizza race each other on the big screen?!? Have we completely forgotten about them??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/640000/images/_642376_maude_150.jpg

"Won't somebody PLEASE think about the children?!?"

mweflen
12-02-2004, 03:10 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/640000/images/_642376_maude_150.jpg

"Won't somebody PLEASE think about the children?!?"
Hey man, let the dead rest. It was Mrs. Lovejoy, not the dear departed Maude Flanders... :smile:

mantis1212
12-02-2004, 03:11 PM
That part I do like also. But announcing the players one by one as loud as they do is really annoying.

SoxFan78
12-02-2004, 03:12 PM
I dont know what everybody is complaining about? Those intro's hype up the crowd and therefore hype up the players. I remember when I went to the Sox vs. Twins game (The infamous Torri Hunter game), they played the history video, Dave Wills NEEEXXXXTTTT, and then ACDC and the place was electric. Whats so bad about that.

I guess next people are gonna be complaining that the same fireworks go off everytime somebody gets a home run. Uggg, this is so annoying, fireworks everytime a home run is hit? Ive seen 20 of these already, lets complain about it.

Makes me feel like pretty soon people are gonna be complaining about fans standing up when there is a exciting play. I thought we were at a ball park, not a freakin' library.

mweflen
12-02-2004, 03:19 PM
I guess next people are gonna be complaining that the same fireworks go off everytime somebody gets a home run.
This is a false analogy. When fireworks go off after a home run, something has ACTUALLY HAPPENED IN THE GAME to justify the pyrotechnics.

robertks61
12-02-2004, 03:20 PM
I agree!!!!

pudge
12-02-2004, 03:21 PM
I guess next people are gonna be complaining that the same fireworks go off everytime somebody gets a home run. Uggg, this is so annoying, fireworks everytime a home run is hit? Ive seen 20 of these already, lets complain about it.

I think you're misguided here. There's quite a difference in celebrating someone's positive action on the field and enhancing the crowd's sincere jubilation, vs. artificially pumping up a crowd before a game has even begun.

Look, I agree with the posters who say these intros are not for people like us. They are for kids and people who only go to a few games. That's how it is for most of the exterior entertainment aspects of a pro sports game.

the_valenstache
12-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Hey man, let the dead rest. It was Mrs. Lovejoy, not the dear departed Maude Flanders... :smile:
Man, I always got them confused during the earlier seasons. :rolleyes:

mweflen
12-02-2004, 03:36 PM
Man, I always got them confused during the earlier seasons. :rolleyes:
I think they actually had the same voice actress in the early seasons.

I know! They should announce the character lineup one by one before every episode!:tongue:

soxnut
12-02-2004, 03:36 PM
Keep it all coming. Baseball is part of the entertainment industry whether some of you like it or not. It's all part of the modern baseball game experience. Everyone is going to like/and or want something different from their baseball game experience.

People want restaurants at a ballpark -- hey, why don't you just eat at home or go to a restaurant someplace else in your neighborhood before the game.

What about beer? --- go buy some at the store and watch the game at home on tv--it's cheaper.

Get rid of the scoreboard -- you should buy a scorecard and keep your own score

Churros---who needs churros?

Wide concourses----just sit in your seat and stay there!!!

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

mweflen
12-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Keep it all coming. Baseball is part of the entertainment industry whether some of you like it or not. Well, it's certainly modern. However, there is a much wider range of overall experiences available at major league parks nowadays than you're representing. There are clubs that crank up the music and graphics, and clubs that do a more restrained, 'traditional' presentation. Of course it comes down to personal opinion. My personal opinion is that I'm embarrassed whenever I have a non-sox-fan visitor along and they see and hear all the baloney that goes on.

I think one of baseball's great strengths is its sense of tradition. That's why I'm cool with the historical video. But its also tradition that lineups are read all at once and players take the field at one time. I for one like those traditions.

What's next - shorts on players?

soxnut
12-02-2004, 03:53 PM
What's next - shorts on players?
LOL!!:D:

I don't mind all that introduction stuff, but I do wish they would turn down the volume a little.:(: I do think the best part of it all is the the video that they have been showing that past few years. I think it's a great way to honor the past and introduce casual/new fans to the Sox.

soxnut
12-02-2004, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE=mweflen. My personal opinion is that I'm embarrassed whenever I have a non-sox-fan visitor along and they see and hear all the baloney that goes on.

I think one of baseball's great strengths is its sense of tradition. That's why I'm cool with the historical video. But its also tradition that lineups are read all at once and players take the field at one time. I for one like those traditions.
QUOTE]

Hey I like the traditional stuff too. But, I think the Sox also have to have some unique qualities to their presentation as well. I think that the White Sox, their fans and their ballpark are very unique and it all needs to be celebrated.

I was wondering about you being enmbarrassed when you have a visitor along. Have they said something to you or is it just in your head? Also, where are these people from and what do they expect from a Sox game?

JoseCanseco6969
12-02-2004, 04:03 PM
I haven't noticed anyone else mentioning this, so maybe I'm the only one annoyed (hey, it's happened before :D: ). But jeez, are the introductions to the game getting unbelievably incessant, or what?

First, they added the "history" video. Okay. Fine the first 50 times I saw it. The stirring anthemic music is nice for even 60 or 70 repeat hearings.

But this year, they've added not one, not two, but THREE additional layers of BS to the intro. First, the "NEEEXT..." guy who summarizes the day's matchup (as if we need help to know that a Sox-Indians game is a matchup of Central Division also-rans). Then, a second "music video" plays. Finally, they added the "player intros" where the players have to file out when their names are called - further lengthening the whole rigamarole, embarrassing the player (watch them when they come out some time), and repeating exactly what they did by announcing the lineups before the videos.

Is anyone else tired of this? Personally, after watching it 30 times in 04, and the pared down version 90 times in the past 3 seasons before that, I feel like my intelligence as a Sox fan is being insulted. Do I need so much clatter and din just to be interested in a baseball game? They don't do this kind of stuff at the Urinal, baseball's equivalent of a developmental disability ward...

I see your point, but I think its good for the fans to kinda get them going and get excited, especially the fireworks at the end of the final announcement. I for one like it and think its pretty nice to see, but I am all for brightening up the place and to get these people going. Frankly, a lot of people at the game are either ones that are too drunk and loud or basically non-existant ones that dont even stand or clap for a home run. I guess I just like fans to scream and cheer for our team like we do at Bears games. Maybe that's asking a lot, i dont know.

mweflen
12-02-2004, 04:12 PM
I see your point, but I think its good for the fans to kinda get them going and get excited, especially the fireworks at the end of the final announcement. I for one like it and think its pretty nice to see, but I am all for brightening up the place and to get these people going. Frankly, a lot of people at the game are either ones that are too drunk and loud or basically non-existant ones that dont even stand or clap for a home run. I guess I just like fans to scream and cheer for our team like we do at Bears games. Maybe that's asking a lot, i dont know.I'm a very loud and active fan, personally. And I definitely like an exciting atmosphere with cheering fans. But personally, I only get pumped up by actual in-game situations. Cheering a great defensive play, a timely hit, trying to pump up a player in a clutch situation, etc. Oh, and heckling, too :D: Cheesy scoreboard graphics and blaring music don't excite me or make me think about baseball.

And no, the 'being embarrassed' is not in my head. It is especially galling when a Cubs fan (those kings and queens of blind baseball ignorance and stupidity) have plenty of ammo to say things like "Sox fans don't care about the game, they only cheer when the scoreboard tells them to."

whitesoxwilkes
12-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Ditto. I'd like to see him do a different one for each game, instead of using the same one for the entire series.

soxnut
12-02-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm a very loud and active fan, personally. And I definitely like an exciting atmosphere with cheering fans. But personally, I only get pumped up by actual in-game situations. Cheering a great defensive play, a timely hit, trying to pump up a player in a clutch situation, etc. Oh, and heckling, too :D: Cheesy scoreboard graphics and blaring music don't excite me or make me think about baseball.

And no, the 'being embarrassed' is not in my head. It is especially galling when a Cubs fan (those kings and queens of blind baseball ignorance and stupidity) have plenty of ammo to say things like "Sox fans don't care about the game, they only cheer when the scoreboard tells them to."
So you've been taking Cubs fans to Sox games? Well anyway, I don't like the scoreboard graphics that tell fans when to cheer either. I think that is ridiculous, especially our fans, who do understand the game and can cheer at the appropriate time. But, at the beginning of the game, I don't mind trying to get people pumped up.

And who cares what Cubs fans think? I think a game at Wrigley is one of the most boring and uncomfortable places I've ever watched a baseball game.

Gosox1917
12-02-2004, 04:25 PM
The only thing I disliked about the intros last year was the ex-player video with the opera music. That was unnecassary. Everything else was great. The field of dreams video is practically a tradition now, the NEEEXXXXXT was sweet, and the player intros were great. The fireworks before the game were great too because, well, I LOOOOVE fireworks. Now mind you I didn't go to 30 games this year, only 5, so I really didn't have a chance to get sick of them.

And as for the cheerleaders, bring them in for the seattle series and see if Ichiro can hit one of them with a foul ball. If anyone can do it, he could. I would pay good money to see that. :D:

soxnut
12-02-2004, 04:31 PM
And as for the cheerleaders, bring them in for the seattle series and see if Ichiro can hit one of them with a foul ball. If anyone can do it, he could. I would pay good money to see that. :D:
Hey, leave the cheerleaders alone---as long as their hot, they can be at every game. And they don't even have to cheer. Just show up in Hooter's type outfits with Sox logos on them. Maybe they can even be painted-on uniforms.:redface:

As long as they don't cheer and just show up, sorta like Miller Lite Girls or something--that would be ok with me.:smile:

Oh and they better be Sox fans, not some stupid college-going Cubs fans looking for extra dough to spend in Lincoln Park.:(: :angry:

mweflen
12-02-2004, 04:33 PM
So you've been taking Cubs fans to Sox games? Well anyway, I don't like the scoreboard graphics that tell fans when to cheer either. I think that is ridiculous, especially our fans, who do understand the game and can cheer at the appropriate time. But, at the beginning of the game, I don't mind trying to get people pumped up. And who cares what Cubs fans think? I think a game at Wrigley is one of the most boring and uncomfortable places I've ever watched a baseball game.Yeah, I've taken a Cubs fan or two to Sox games. They can't afford to pay the Tribune Co. Scalpers :D:

I also have taken Indians, Cards, Bosox and Mariners fans to Sox games, and universally their opinion has been that the intro and loud music are a little too much.

But mostly, I hear it from Cubs fans 'on the street' who are talking smack about the Sox. The problem is, given all the retarded hullabaloo that the Sox put into their presentation, they can feel pretty justified. And I'm forced to just rely on my superior knowledge of baseball and Sox fandom, along with a heaping dose of self righteousness (sometimes the only defense against "cubbie nation") to quiet their arguments.

Everyone likes the fireworks, with the possible exception of shell-shocked vets. I've never argued against fireworks. But I'd much rather have fireworks go off when the team runs out as a whole, rather than when JOE BORCHARD takes the field in all his coked-out looking sub .200 majesty...

soxnut
12-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I've taken a Cubs fan or two to Sox games. They can't afford to pay the Tribune Co. Scalpers :D:

I also have taken Indians, Cards, Bosox and Mariners fans to Sox games, and universally their opinion has been that the intro and loud music are a little too much.

But mostly, I hear it from Cubs fans 'on the street' who are talking smack about the Sox. The problem is, given all the retarded hullabaloo that the Sox put into their presentation, they can feel pretty justified. And I'm forced to just rely on my superior knowledge of baseball and Sox fandom, along with a heaping dose of self righteousness (sometimes the only defense against "cubbie nation") to quiet their arguments.
I bet some of these Cubs fans are the same ones who love it at a Bulls game...

Ok you've taken a broad spectrum of fans and they've had similar opinions. Is there anything about the beginning of the game intros that they like? Or would they rather they not do any of it? I don't see how they could dislike the "Field of Dreams" style video.

mweflen
12-02-2004, 04:59 PM
I bet some of these Cubs fans are the same ones who love it at a Bulls game...

Ok you've taken a broad spectrum of fans and they've had similar opinions. Is there anything about the beginning of the game intros that they like? Or would they rather they not do any of it? I don't see how they could dislike the "Field of Dreams" style video.
Most people I take seem to like the history video, but feel it is a little overlong. And, as I said, everyone (myself included) likes the fireworks.

However, most people thought the Dave Wills bit was lame, and by the time the second video had played through, were like "so is this game actually going to start, or will it be a three hour music video?" It was just overkill. Unanimously, everyone disliked having the players named one by one, not 5 minutes after having the lineup read (and clapped for).

The general opinion of the game presentation is that it's nice to have personalized music for players, there were about 3 too many scoreboard races (especially the lame planes and boats - the pizza and frogs were much more popular), that the applause meters were stupid, and that everything was just a notch too loud. The Gong for Takatsu got a politically incorrect laugh from all concerned.

This reminds me of the most grating thing about the intro to me:

"SOX FANS..... ON YOUR FEET!!!!"

Frankly I have never been more insulted or annoyed by anything announced at a ball game. I am a paying customer, not a trained seal. After being manhandled by security at the gate (searching for Jaeger Bombs, apparently), they're going to continue the pseudo-militaristic crapola inside? I will stand and cheer when I damn well please, thank you, not when some moron yells at me to do it.

GRRRRRR!!!!!!:angry:

steff
12-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Uhhh, what??? I never heard this. Someone please tell me this is NOT happening.

It's not.

steff
12-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Ditto. I'd like to see him do a different one for each game, instead of using the same one for the entire series.

You mean say "neeexxxxtttt" differently each time..?

Brian26
12-02-2004, 05:19 PM
You mean say "neeexxxxtttt" differently each time..?

Hehe. I think Wills cuts a new promo for each game. I'm almost positive he does....ie "Last night, Torii Hunter and the ruthless Twins....now it's time for paybeck... NEXXXXXT." I don't think they use the same one for each game in the series.

steff
12-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Hehe. I think Wills cuts a new promo for each game. I'm almost positive he does....ie "Last night, Torii Hunter and the ruthless Twins....now it's time for paybeck... NEXXXXXT." I don't think they use the same one for each game in the series.

He does.. which is why I'm wondering if Mike wants him to say "nexxxxttt" differently... :D:

Brian26
12-02-2004, 05:22 PM
He does.. which is why I'm wondering if Mike wants him to say "nexxxxttt" differently... :D:

Right, I'm wondering that too :D:

chisoxmike
12-02-2004, 05:39 PM
I love the AC/DC intro with Dave Wills, I would like them to change it up more I mean "AL Central showdown with the Royals" wasn't really a show down last season. And I'd like to see it changed for the more important games. I remember the very first game against the Twins in May it went something like "The Minnesota Twins come to Chicago having won the central for the past two years, the White Sox are out to show them they are the true champions of the central, its the battle for first place neeeexxxxt!" And I did like during the Sox vs. Cubs games... "Its your first place Sox, against the Cubs." I personally like it loud. I hope it doesn't go, but, it would be pathetic if they are in last place or in non-contention. No team will be "thunderstruck" then.

whitesoxwilkes
12-02-2004, 05:50 PM
I think he needs to start doing it in Spanish.

I need to respectfully disagree, it seemed to me that they used the same one at each game during a series. :supernana:

Palehose13
12-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Churros---who needs churros?

Whoa, buddy...you're lucky you wrote that in teal!

For the record, I like the intro.

WinningUgly!
12-02-2004, 06:56 PM
I don't really mind the long intro, at the start of the game. Hell, this franchise might be best known for it's tacky gimmicks & promotions, anyway. So we have long, loud intros & fireworks...I say bring on the cheerleaders, bring back Andy the Clown, have Disco Demolition every night & put showers in the middle of every aisleway. While we're at it, let's also get Benny the Brewer to rise up out of a top hat on a big apple, jump on to a train that circles the outfield & then slide down into a huge stein of beer after every home run, while fireworks are going off.

NonetheLoaiza
12-02-2004, 07:10 PM
i dont know how can not like the dave wills neeeexxxt...its awesome. maybe the ex-players thing is a little too much video at the beginning, but its more just for filler and to get the crowd pumped before the players actually take the field. its not like they add the video, so the game starts later.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-02-2004, 07:51 PM
I say bring on the cheerleaders, bring back Andy the Clown
Andy The Clown was banned by Jerry Reinsdorf when the new park opened. Jerry Reinsdorf wants to present "First Class Entertainment Only". Where Ribbie and Rhubarb fit into this, I haven't a clue.

RKMeibalane
12-02-2004, 07:53 PM
I'd be disappointed if they got rid of the "Thunder" intro. I got chills when Frank was in the lineup and just when they announced his name the song went "You've been.......Thunderstruck!!!"
I just hope we can hear that again when April rolls around.

FightingBillini
12-02-2004, 09:48 PM
My personal favorite intro video was the one where they played "My Kind of Town" and showed images of Chicago. That was awesome. It really made you proud to be a Chicagoan. Most importantly, it showed that we are the CHICAGO White Sox. It may be a feudal attempt after the matter to say that we aren't conceding this town to the Cubs (even though it was always their town), but for me it means something. This is OUR town, even if more than half the people are moron Cub fans.

steff
12-02-2004, 11:06 PM
I think he needs to start doing it in Spanish.

I need to respectfully disagree, it seemed to me that they used the same one at each game during a series. :supernana:

No goofball.. he changes it. Usually recaping the previous nights game or if it's the start of the new series he recaps the Sox pervious series performance. Pay attention :tongue:

whitesoxwilkes
12-03-2004, 12:37 PM
No goofball.. he changes it. Usually recaping the previous nights game or if it's the start of the new series he recaps the Sox pervious series performance. Pay attention :tongue:
I think he only cuts a new one for the radio, goofus!

:supernana:

steff
12-03-2004, 12:39 PM
I think he only cuts a new one for the radio, goofus!

:supernana:

I never listen to him on the radio for games, so I wouldn't know. The announcement in the park is not the same 2 days in a row.

mweflen
12-03-2004, 01:03 PM
My personal favorite intro video was the one where they played "My Kind of Town" and showed images of Chicago. That was awesome. It really made you proud to be a Chicagoan. I agree. I liked that montage.

My ideal white sox game intro:

-Reading the lineups, allowing for applause
-One video montage, rotated throughout the week
-Players take the field, fireworks
-Play Ball!

Simpler, less time consuming, still flashy in that Sox manner. No Yelling at Sox Fans to stand up (let them stand if they feel inspired to), no clanging of alarm clocks (just who finds this pleasing?), no droning of endless video after video (at which non-regulars feel compelled to stand and clap, giving dirty looks to regular patrons who don't), no stupid one-at-a-time player intros (should we clap again, for players we just clapped for 5 minutes previously?).

I'd also like to nix God Bless America at the 7th inning stretch. That song is just lame, especially in comparison to our wonderful national anthem, a far superior (and more traditional to baseball) song.

C-Dawg
12-04-2004, 12:16 PM
I love the history video with the ex-players, and I finally got motivated and videotaped it there at the end of the season. I could go to 82 games a year and still enjoy it.

I could live without the ACDC and the one-at-time player introductions. This is just too much of Brooks Boyers' attempts to make everything louder and flashier, like its a Bulls game or something. The old way was much better, in my opinion.

bc2k
12-04-2004, 01:42 PM
I could live without the ACDC and the one-at-time player introductions. This is just too much of Brooks Boyers' attempts to make everything louder and flashier, like its a Bulls game or something. The old way was much better, in my opinion.

Yeah, I remember reading--maybe at WSI--that it was Brooks's idea to have the players take the field one at a time instead of as a team. I also blame Brooks for the new 9 and 13-game plans for taking away every possible advantage of them.

JKryl
12-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Cheerleaders? That should last about as long as Stephan. Come to think of it, he made it to a second year. Oh well.

As to the long intro, last year it was the only thing about the team that stirred people up. Also, Brooks was new, and trying different things out. At least he's trying. Hear that Kenny?

ewokpelts
12-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I remember reading--maybe at WSI--that it was Brooks's idea to have the players take the field one at a time instead of as a team. I also blame Brooks for the new 9 and 13-game plans for taking away every possible advantage of them.i miss sox 7....i got a cub game fOR A BUCK...and any game i wanted on mondays, regardless of teh month
Gene

jake27
12-04-2004, 09:34 PM
i think the into thing is a little long. but i like all of it. i think the ac/dc is AWESOME. i cant wait til april 4th to hear that again. if they could announce the lineup just "traditional", run out to the field at the same time, and keep the ac/dc would b perfect. the thing i really hate is the fan-o-meter. it just makes me mad for some reason:angry: . anyone else agree??? also, NO CHEERLEADERS! this is a baseball game, not a football or basketball game! there are plenty of good looking ladies in the stands :cool:

ewokpelts
12-07-2004, 11:41 AM
i think the into thing is a little long. but i like all of it. i think the ac/dc is AWESOME. i cant wait til april 4th to hear that again. if they could announce the lineup just "traditional", run out to the field at the same time, and keep the ac/dc would b perfect. the thing i really hate is the fan-o-meter. it just makes me mad for some reason:angry: . anyone else agree??? also, NO CHEERLEADERS! this is a baseball game, not a football or basketball game! there are plenty of good looking ladies in the stands :cool:i too prefer if they all ran out at once, right when the fireworks launch...but i like how they are introduced...
Gene

StockdaleForVeep
12-07-2004, 12:10 PM

Blackhawks have the same kind of intro montage before their games.

Should we also do away with the connies pizza races and other promotions? Maybe go back to 1920's baseball where its baseball, nothing more nothing less?

chisoxmike
12-07-2004, 12:29 PM

Should we also do away with the connies pizza races and other promotions? Maybe go back to 1920's baseball where its baseball, nothing more nothing less?
Have one, thats its. I hate those races. They are smameless advertisments, nothing more. People care about those than they do the game. I'm not kidding. There are louder cheers for the stoned connie's pizza winner, blue ATA plane, the second mcdonalds sox hat, the creepy bobble head, and green hyatt frog than a Carlos Lee home run. It makes me want to puke.

mweflen
12-07-2004, 04:12 PM

Personally, I wouldn't mind "baseball no more no less." But I understand that some of these things generate money and/or excitement. There's just a certain level of good taste vs. bad taste. Cheerleaders, for instance, would be in very bad taste - especially in april and may ;) The various scoreboard races push the boundary of good taste - they're commercials, but at least the kids like them. Outright commercials for movies and TV shows go over the boundary of bad taste. And there were plenty of those last season on the scoreboard. Any of the montage videos in and of themselves are not really in bad state - but when there's three in a row, it becomes redundant and noisome to the point of bad taste.

Gosox1917
12-07-2004, 04:48 PM
I bet money we see turn back the clock day make a reappearance to attract people to the ballpark. "Come and find out just how baseball was back in the 1920's. Turn off the scoreboard, no lights, no electronics, no fireworks, just baseball in the old style uniforms. Not that I necessarily want it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they tried this for some Saturday day game or something.