PDA

View Full Version : Will Garciaparra accept the Cubs offer?

Justafan
12-02-2004, 11:37 AM
I heard(Bruce Levine) that the Cubs have offered Nomar a one year deal worth 8 million. It may also include performance incentives that could bring the total to 10 million or more. I have a feeling Garciaparra will take it and then ask for a multi-year deal next year should he stay healthy and have a big season.

munchman33
12-02-2004, 01:37 PM
Not a chance. Someone is going to offer Nomar at least a 2 or 3 year deal. Honestly, I'd be surprised if we didn't.

Justafan
12-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Not a chance. Someone is going to offer Nomar at least a 2 or 3 year deal. Honestly, I'd be surprised if we didn't.

Rotoworld just put this up. ESPN also reports the deal might be worth close to 11 million with incentives. That would leave O-Cab and Renteria as the only ones worth signing.

The Cubs are hopeful they can re-sign Nomar Garciaparra to a one-year deal before the Dec. 7 arbitration deadline.
Hendry met this week with Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem. It's believed that there's a one-year deal worth about $8 million on the table. Negotiations could continue right up to Tuesday's deadline.

wdelaney72
12-02-2004, 03:55 PM
This is just good proof of the ineptitude of the Cub organization. Renteria is twice the SS Nomar is. The Cubs have the opportunity to

a) Upgrade their own SS
b) Steal a great player from their division rival

Instead, the Cubs are focusing in more on who the bigger name is in the national media.

Stupid.

Mickster
12-02-2004, 04:29 PM
This is just good proof of the ineptitude of the Cub organization. Renteria is twice the SS Nomar is. The Cubs have the opportunity to

a) Upgrade their own SS
b) Steal a great player from their division rival

Instead, the Cubs are focusing in more on who the bigger name is in the national media.

Stupid.
Considering the Cardinals' offer to Renteria is supposedly $22M/4years, they could essentially pay 2X what the could pay for Nomar and get possibly the premier FA SS for 4 years as opposed to Nomar for $11M (including incentives).....

MUsoxfan
12-02-2004, 05:04 PM
I don't know Nomar (obviously), but I doubt a "superstar" of his caliber would accept a 1 year deal lined with incentives. He probably wants a multi-year deal with a guaranteed 8 digit figure every year.

brewerfan
12-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Renteria is twice the SS Nomar is.
Renteria's highest single season ops+ is 131. For his career his is 96.
Nomar's highest single season ops+ is 158. For his career his is 133.

Now tell me, who is the better shortstop?

santo=dorf
12-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Renteria's highest single season ops+ is 131. For his career his is 96.
Nomar's highest single season ops+ is 158. For his career his is 133.

Now tell me, who is the better shortstop?
So OPS is the only stat to consider when comparing shortstops?

I don't think Renteria is "twice" the shortstop that Nomar is, but I would take Renteria over him.

Jabroni
12-02-2004, 08:58 PM
I would take Renteria over Nomar just because Nomar seems so injury-prone. Renteria is better defensively but Nomar is better offensively.

Palehose13
12-02-2004, 09:12 PM

I don't think Renteria is "twice" the shortstop that Nomar is, but I would take Renteria over him.
Yeah, that kinda puzzled me...but what do Brewer fans know about shortstops? :wink:

ondafarm
12-02-2004, 09:20 PM
I'd take either Nomar or Renterria.

munchman33
12-03-2004, 08:55 AM
Rotoworld just put this up. ESPN also reports the deal might be worth close to 11 million with incentives. That would leave O-Cab and Renteria as the only ones worth signing.

The Cubs are hopeful they can re-sign Nomar Garciaparra to a one-year deal before the Dec. 7 arbitration deadline.
Hendry met this week with Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem. It's believed that there's a one-year deal worth about $8 million on the table. Negotiations could continue right up to Tuesday's deadline.
I'm saying he won't take it because someone will offer him a multi-year deal.

wdelaney72
12-03-2004, 10:30 AM

I admit "twice" is exaggerating and yes, Nomar has more offensive productivity, but it's not like Renteria hits like Royce Clayton. He's a very good hitter and a better defensive SS than Nomar.

I like Nomar, I just think he's too risky of an investment. He's still quite young, yet has already developed a pattern of being hurt... A LOT.

Renteria is just a smarter investment.

brewerfan
12-03-2004, 08:11 PM
He's [Renteria] a very good hitter
Renteria's OBP against right handed pitchers was .297. He tatoos lefties, but against righties, who he hits against most of the time, he sucks.

beck72
12-04-2004, 08:33 AM
I don't think Renteria would sign with the Cubs, not just for a few extra dollars. Not w/ the STL-Cubs rivalry. Edgar would hear a lot of boos.

But a change in leagues, to the Sox......

I think that's why the cubs seem to be going after Nomar for a 1 yr deal