PDA

View Full Version : Oct.14-WSI Staff Appreciation Day

Soxheads
10-13-2001, 11:53 PM
Just a big thanks for everything you guys do.

WSI Staff:
PaleHoseGeorge
FarWestChicago
CLR01
JerryManuel
ihatethecubs
Let me know if anyone was forgotten

KempersRS
10-13-2001, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

I second that.

danman31
10-14-2001, 12:01 AM
Yeah. You guys do a quality job, to say the least.

Daver
10-14-2001, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

I can agree with that,PHG and FWC allow me to post drivel,argue stupid points,and all in all let me be the redneck that I am.What more could I ask for?

Chisox_cali
10-14-2001, 12:17 AM
Yeah thanks to all the staff keep up the good work(especially West for keepin it real fo tha left coasters)
:)

ihatethecubs
10-14-2001, 12:38 AM
uhh hello???? im one of the first WSI staff members ever and im not even recognized!

doublem23
10-14-2001, 12:56 AM
There's something for ya to stick on your calendar, FWC!

I also think that Hal Vickery should be included because he is by far the best columnist there is here at WSI... Maybe he's not official staff, but dammit! He's good.

FarWestChicago
10-14-2001, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
uhh hello???? im one of the first WSI staff members ever and im not even recognized! Yeah, this place would be kind of drab without hate's killer graphics!

Vsahajpal
10-14-2001, 01:27 AM
I can agree with that,PHG and FWC allow me to post drivel,argue stupid points,and all in all let me be the redneck that I am.What more could I ask for?

hmmm...

Jolene Blalock?

http://www.maximonline.com/girls/jolene_blalock2/gm_l1.jpg

Jerry_Manuel
10-14-2001, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
hmmm...
Jolene Blalock?

http://www.maximonline.com/girls/jolene_blalock2/gm_l1.jpg

Hey that's a quality post!
Keep up the good work...

Jerry_Manuel
10-14-2001, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
uhh hello???? im one of the first WSI staff members ever and im not even recognized!

Nice sig hate, Ronnie Woo Woo man that guy is a putz.
Oh yeah getting back to this post yeah Hate has been with WSI forever he just does the behind the scenes dirty work.

LongDistanceFan
10-14-2001, 02:13 AM
way to go wsi........ this site is a blessing.

GASHWOUND
10-14-2001, 02:48 AM
Hey, how much would I have to pay you guys to get one of those "WSI STAFF under my name? I can go under the motto

"I pretend to work..They pretend to pay me."

I think I have a 20 in my underwear drawer..

How exactly did the WSI STAFF get called up for duty? Did WEST know PHG when this all started, Is West employed by PHG. Is Jerry_Manuel the actual son of the real JM and was asked to contribute cause of his inside knowledge!!!

Whats the downlow?

I love this board and you can see that I've only been a registered person for a month and have posted alot. Hey, all you got to do is cut down on sleeping and its simple.
But I can safely say that I'm the only loser with every WS game recorded on VC from last year. Wins that is. I have a closet full of boxes with the tapes.
Sigh...I know, WhY? I don't know why, that season was the best time I ever had and I don't want to throw them away.
Maybe someday
But this site is great and itis probably the best baseball teams messageboard in all of the country. I've been to alot and this site looks 10 times better than anyone I've seen.
FWC is getting up there in years(well, not that old) and he sounds like one of the boys. Age has no barriers on this board. Same for PHG. :)

Good job guys, I mean that.. :)

I'm going to bed..Bears game tomorrow

FarWestChicago
10-14-2001, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
FWC is getting up there in yearsHey! I think I've been dissed. :)

CLR01
10-14-2001, 03:24 AM
Hey, how much would I have to pay you guys to get one of those "WSI STAFF under my name? I can go under the motto

"I pretend to work..They pretend to pay me."

I think I have a 20 in my underwear drawer..

How exactly did the WSI STAFF get called up for duty? Did WEST know PHG when this all started, Is West employed by PHG. Is Jerry_Manuel the actual son of the real JM and was asked to contribute cause of his inside knowledge!!!

I think they just ramdomly hand them out. I mean if i can get one anyone can. Paying West might work but try offering him something that is not coming from your underware drawer.

I dont know how the rest of the staff got called up maybe it was a draft or something but i went to my local recruiting center and signed up.

CLR01
10-14-2001, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Hey! I think I've been dissed. :)

I dont think he was dissing you just dropping hints that maybe you should start drafting up a will so we know who takes over your job when you can no longer use the washroom on your own. :)

Pete Ward
10-14-2001, 09:12 AM
This site has been the best surprise of 2001 for me.

:bundy

GREAT SITE.... THANKS

LongDistanceFan
10-14-2001, 09:27 AM
what is the story of all you guys came about? i know about clr and jerry, but how did the others. ate, phg, ihatethecubs, fwc were the one on the other board.

Jerry_Manuel
10-14-2001, 10:34 AM

West found the site and became the board guy. We are all employed by PHG he is the boss. There is no money exchanged if that is what you were talking about. Yes I have all the inside dirt :)

LongDistanceFan
10-14-2001, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

West found the site and became the board guy. We are all employed by PHG he is the boss. There is no money exchanged if that is what you were talking about. Yes I have all the inside dirt you know some sites has a little story about the beginning of the site........... i just thought it might be useful here.

see i thought it was the other way around....... phg founded and fwc helped........ all i know is that i like this site and the history should be fun to read.

Jerry_Manuel
10-14-2001, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
see i thought it was the other way around....... phg founded and fwc helped........ all i know is that i like this site and the history should be fun to read.

Well I have the story handed down to me. George made the site in 1998, West ofcourse posted on the troll board, and he stumbled upon WSI. And I assume he posted the site on the troll board which led to others from the troll board coming here. I'm sure the people who have been here longer then me can fill in the rest of the story.

Paulwny
10-14-2001, 11:12 AM
THANKS for making the last couple of seasons more enjoyable and allowing me and others to rant when we're upset.

LongDistanceFan
10-14-2001, 11:17 AM

Well I have the story handed down to me. George made the site in 1998, West ofcourse posted on the troll board, and he stumbled upon WSI. And I assume he posted the site on the troll board which led to others from the troll board coming here. I'm sure the people who have been here longer then me can fill in the rest of the story. west rants????? seriously?

i can't believe this mild manner person can rant. esp on the troll board........ i didn't think he had in him. :)

PaleHoseGeorge
10-14-2001, 12:37 PM
Well I have the story handed down to me. George made the site in 1998, West ofcourse posted on the troll board, and he stumbled upon WSI. And I assume he posted the site on the troll board which led to others from the troll board coming here. I'm sure the people who have been here longer then me can fill in the rest of the story.

As usual, Mr. Manuel has the story right.

:)

I started the site in 1998 as a hobby and because I was embarrassed at how little presence Sox Fans had on the internet. It was helping feed the prevaling myth amongst the Chicago media that Sox Fans didn't care.

WSI became the largest and most popular Sox fan site within just a few months. Dave Wills first mentioned it on the air back in August, 1999. Richard Lindberg (author of The White Sox Encyclopedia) and Dan Helpingstine were the first contributors.

In January, 2000 Rivals approached me about publishing for them. I had launched my first message board (the unlamented "Pale Hose Pontifications" board) just days earlier. I had no community to speak of. Scott Armstrong (ihatethecubs) joined me for site updates and several others began writing too, including the prolific Hal Vickery.

By opening day, 2000 WSI was established as one of the top baseball sites at Rivals. I created a members-only board in May but it sat vacant for months. Then one morning in late-July I checked the boards and was shocked to see a dozen or so new members had posted there overnight. The ringleader was FarWest who had led several refugees from the troll board. I guess he stumbled on WSI while looking for a board that wouldn't be overrun by trolls. The S.O.P. at WSI is "shoot to kill" every troll and spammer. As our community and presence on the web grew, that took on extra value.

The rest is history. The site has grown exponentially for three years now. Before Rivals went under, WSI had clearly established itself as largest, fastest-growing, and most successful baseball site on the network. After they went under it took us just one month to recapture the lost traffic and continue growing. We routinely break 100,000 hits per day.

I don't like tooting my own horn, but perhaps the "All About White Sox Interactive" feature on the main page needs to offer a more complete story about the site?

LongDistanceFan
10-14-2001, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

We routinely break 100,000 hits per day.

I don't like tooting my own horn, but perhaps the "All About White Sox Interactive" feature on the main page needs to offer a more complete story about the site? 100,000 hits per day............. WOW. i am really impress....... i didn't think that number was possible............

btw great story and it should be on the main page, i for one will vote for it..... as i am sure others will vote too.

Jerry_Manuel
10-14-2001, 12:45 PM
I don't like tooting my own horn, but perhaps the "All About White Sox Interactive" feature on the main page needs to offer a more complete story about the site?

I'm surprised you didn't mention that you were on WTTW. That's how I found the site.

FarWestChicago
10-14-2001, 12:47 PM
I don't like tooting my own horn, but perhaps the "All About White Sox Interactive" feature on the main page needs to offer a more complete story about the site? This is a good idea.

LongDistanceFan
10-14-2001, 12:47 PM
btw i am happy that others are willing to help you spread your achievement. great poster as usual

hey west how bout a little tit-bit about yourself.

FarWestChicago
10-14-2001, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
hey west how bout a little tit-bit about yourself. In July of '00 a bunch of us were hanging out on the Troll Board. The servers were terrible. It took minutes to open up a page. And we were under constant troll assault. I was looking for some new place to hang. One night some guy posted a link to an article on WSI. I read it and checked the site out. I loved the site. Then I saw this really nice members only board that wasn't being used much. I went back and told the rest of the guys. Soon the trolls found us. PHG needed deputies to help shoot 'em. I volunteered and became The Fastest Gun in the West.

When Rivals decided to throw in the towel I told PHG I wanted to help with the board end of things because I knew he was going to have too much work to do. I used to run bulletin boards back in the pre-internet era and figured I could do it. We moved and the rest is history.

LongDistanceFan
10-14-2001, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
In July of '00 a bunch of us were hanging out on the Troll Board. The servers were terrible. It took minutes to open up a page. And we were under constant troll assault. I was looking for some new place to hang. One night some guy posted a link to an article on WSI. I read it and checked the site out. I loved the site. Then I saw this really nice members only board that wasn't being used much. I went back and told the rest of the guys. Soon the trolls found us. PHG needed deputies to help shoot 'em. I volunteered and became The Fastest Gun in the West.

When Rivals decided to throw in the towel I told PHG I wanted to help with the board end of things because I knew he was going to have too much work to do. I used to run bulletin boards back in the pre-internet era and figured I could do it. We moved and the rest is history. cool add that to your bio....... its great.