PDA

View Full Version : White Sox PA announcer

lths06
12-01-2004, 08:58 PM
I have seen many threads on how great our organist player, Nancy Foust is (and rightfully so). But I have seen very few threads on our PA announcer at Comiskey. I believe his name is Gene something. I absoletly love his voice. I have been to many other ballparks suck as Oakland and Wrigley, and their announcers are very dry and boring. When I think about going to Comiskey, I think of brots, churros, and Gene (?) announcing the players. Personally, nothing gets me more pumped at a game than the bases loaded and he announcing the next to bat FRAnk THOmas. Am I the only one who thinks we have an outstanding announcer?

Daver
12-01-2004, 09:00 PM
Gene Honda.

ChiSoxRowand
12-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Gene Honda is awesome. Best PA announcer in baseball by far.

mike squires
12-01-2004, 09:04 PM
We've brought him up in the past. He is the elite. Best organist and best PA announcer. Unfortunatly that does not when baseball games.

He also does some work during the NCAA tourney. A few opening days ago agasint Detroit I immediatly knew that was not Honda in the booth. It sounded like a Triple A voice. I thought he was gone.

Someone on this sight handed him the phone at Soxfest and he talked to his brother or something.

GiveMeSox
12-01-2004, 09:05 PM
I have seen many threads on how great our organist player, Nancy Foust is (and rightfully so). But I have seen very few threads on our PA announcer at Comiskey. I believe his name is Gene something. I absoletly love his voice. I have been to many other ballparks suck as Oakland and Wrigley, and their announcers are very dry and boring. When I think about going to Comiskey, I think of brots, churros, and Gene (?) announcing the players. Personally, nothing gets me more pumped at a game than the bases loaded and he announcing the next to bat FRAnk THOmas. Am I the only one who thinks we have an outstanding announcer?
I totall agress. In fact me and my other friend are known for our PA announcer impersination. We have it down cold and all we do is recite classic players like #8 Boooo JACKson!! I love the #45 Carlos LEEEEEEE.

OzzieBall2004
12-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Brats.

MRKARNO
12-01-2004, 09:09 PM
He also does some work during the NCAA tourney.
He is the PA announcer for the Final Four

ChiSoxRowand
12-01-2004, 09:11 PM
I can't stand the Yankees PA announcer.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-01-2004, 09:11 PM
I have seen many threads on how great our organist player, Nancy Foust is (and rightfully so). But I have seen very few threads on our PA announcer at Comiskey. I believe his name is Gene something. I absoletly love his voice. I have been to many other ballparks suck as Oakland and Wrigley, and their announcers are very dry and boring. When I think about going to Comiskey, I think of brots, churros, and Gene (?) announcing the players. Personally, nothing gets me more pumped at a game than the bases loaded and he announcing the next to bat FRAnk THOmas. Am I the only one who thinks we have an outstanding announcer?I like him too (Gene Honda). Nancy is by far the best organist in sports (she used to also play for the Hawks until Wirtz fired her for playing North Star games as well). One of the few good things about the Urinal (outside of serving Budweiser over Miller) is Wayne Messmer (who also worked for the Hawks until Wirtz fired him - for working with / managing the Wolves). That is the extent that I have anything good to say about Tribune's subsidiary.

I don't like how they keep phasing Nancy out for that canned (c)rap and other "music" pipped in loud and bad. I have been to a few Red Sox games and they let their organist play more. They play "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond inbetween the top / bottom of the 8th and the whole stadium sings (which is pretty cool) and leave the organist alone most of the time. If Nancy leaves, I don't think they will replace her (just have more commercials / pipped music). One less reason to go to the park. :(

TornLabrum
12-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Gene Honda is a great guy. I first met him for an interview I did of him for the Windy City Sox Fans newsletter ten years ago when the club was founded.

Three years ago when I had surgery just after Christmas, I missed SoxFest. I somehow didn't run across Gene the following summer at the ball park (mostly because I ordered many fewer tickets than normal because of some problems in the healing of the incision which finally was healed by early July. so the next time I saw Gene was during SoxFest 2003. He had heard that I'd had surgery, and his greeting was, "Hal, how are you? Are you doing okay? What was wrong?"

Also, so far nobody has mentioned that Gene is the voice of WTTW, Channel 11 in Chicago.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-01-2004, 09:20 PM
I can't stand the Yankees PA announcer.
I would disagree - He (Bob Sheppard) is classy and a classic - been there since Berra, Mantle, Maris, Ford, Martin & crew gave the Sox hell in the 1950s.

Even though I hate the Yankees, Yankee Stadium is one of the best stadiums I have been to. I suggest you go early to get into Monument Park.

Best Stadiums ever to catch a ballgame:

1. Comiskey Park (The original - not the ball mall)
2. Fenway Park
3. Tiger Stadium (The original - though the new park is good)
4. Yankee Stadium
5. Wrigley Field (Watching the Cubs lose isn't bad :)

fusillirob1983
12-01-2004, 09:25 PM
I went to my first opening day a couple years ago only to hear a different announcer, and it was a bit disappointing. A few days later at the Final Four, I heard a voice that sounded like his, so I put two and two together. Great announcer.

Kogs35
12-01-2004, 09:32 PM
gene honda is also the pa annoucer for depaul. i would love for the bulls to can there current pa anoucer and hire gene

Kogs35
12-01-2004, 09:36 PM
We've brought him up in the past. He is the elite. Best organist and best PA announcer. Unfortunatly that does not when baseball games.

He also does some work during the NCAA tourney. A few opening days ago agasint Detroit I immediatly knew that was not Honda in the booth. It sounded like a Triple A voice. I thought he was gone.

Someone on this sight handed him the phone at Soxfest and he talked to his brother or something.
actually the opening day game aiganst detroit the pa anoucer was non-other than Tom Share of espn1000

OzzieBall2004
12-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Guys, I hate to seem pompous and I know this isn't an English class, but this thread is riddled with misspelled words.

Just a suggestion, but it only takes a couple seconds to press the spell check button next to submit.

soxnut
12-01-2004, 11:08 PM
I don't like Gene Honda's style of announcing the players at all. I think it's cheesy, but he's has a good voice. And I like his work on channel 11. I DO think the PA guy in Oakland is fantastic. I think he's been around awhile as well, and I always hoped we'd get a PA guy like that. Also Bob Shepard for the Yankees is very classy. The Brewers used to have a good PA guy too, not sure if he is still there.

FightingBillini
12-01-2004, 11:14 PM
One of the few good things about the Urinal (outside of serving Budweiser over Miller)I don't like how they keep phasing Nancy out for that canned (c)rap and other "music" pipped in loud and bad. I have been to a few Red Sox games and they let their organist play more. They play "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond inbetween the top / bottom of the 8th and the whole stadium sings (which is pretty cool) and leave the organist alone most of the time.Finally a few things we agree on. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:
Budweiser is awesome, Swiller is horrible, rap blows, and Neil Diamond rocks (is it strange that I have Neil on my playlist betwen Metallica and Nickelback?)

It was before you came to this board, but I posted an email response I got from Brooks about Nancy. He said that he agreed 100% that the organ is a huge part of the baseball experience, and that as long as he had a say, Nancy would be with the White Sox.

Whitesox029
12-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Nobody has mentioned yet that Gene works as the PA man for Hawks games too. He really charges up the U.C, which is hard to do given the general deadness of the franchise and fans.

monkeypants
12-01-2004, 11:26 PM
When traveling up to Toronto this summer to see the Sox, I took a day trip out to see Niagra Falls. Before you go on the boat that goes right up to the Falls (The Maid of the Mist) there is Gene's voice telling you what you should and shouldn't be doing while onboard. A nice little slice of home all the way up in Canada.

mdep524
12-01-2004, 11:39 PM
gene honda is also the pa annoucer for depaul. i would love for the bulls to can there current pa anoucer and hire gene
Wow, its really funny that this thread pops up tonight. I went to the DePaul-Dayton game tonight and immediately recognized Honda's voice as I walked down to my seat. I actually walked up to the score's table at halftime to get his autograph, but he was busy! Every time he talked I imagined him introducing a Sox player or saying "Sox fans on your feet." He is definitely the best in the biz.

bennyw41
12-02-2004, 09:57 AM
I hung out with Gene at a Bar for a good 30 an hour. He's a party animal and a really good guy. GENE IS THE BEST.

Viva Magglio
12-02-2004, 10:00 AM
I hung out with Gene at a Bar for a good 30 an hour. He's a party animal and a really good guy. GENE IS THE BEST.And if you don't believe that, hang out in the atrium bar at the upcoming SoxFest.

Gene Honda also does the PA for Blackhawks games, having replaced Harvey Wittenberg a few years ago. For informational purposes, here are the other PA announcers around here:

Bulls/UIC Basketball - Steve Scott
Illinois Football/Basketball - Jim Shepard ("First and ten for the Illini!"; "That's aaaa THREE!")
Loyola Basketball - Pat Schultz ("THREEEEEEE!!!" DaJuan Gouard!")
Northwestern Football - Pat Walsh ("First down, GOOOAALL to GOOOAALL, Northwestern!!!")
Northwestern Basketball - ???
Bears - ???

Lip Man 1
12-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Most of you are obviously to young to remember the best Sox P.A. (stadium) announcer ever... Tate Johnson.

"The battery for today's game...for the White Sox... Buzhardt pitching and Martin catching... for the Orioles...Palmer pitching and Etchebarren catching."

"For the White Sox...batting for Horlen....#2 Smokey Burgess...batting for Horlen."

Now those were good days. Johnson and Shey Torrent on the Hammond organ. (Not that there is anything wrong with Nancy.)

Lip

Chez
12-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Gene was also a disc jockey at the University of Illinois (WLRW) during the late 70's and early 80's. A great announcer.

BainesHOF
12-02-2004, 01:02 PM
I like Gene as he is certainly identifiable with the Sox after all these years, but I wish he would tone it down a little. He is over the top, and it's particularly aggravating in games we are losing by a lot.

thecell
12-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Guys, I hate to seem pompous and I know this isn't an English class, but this thread is riddled with misspelled words.

Just a suggestion, but it only takes a couple seconds to press the spell check button next to submit.
It's a freakin message board, not a discussion at the National Institute for Grammar!

iwcup
12-02-2004, 01:25 PM
And if you don't believe that, hang out in the atrium bar at the upcoming SoxFest.

Gene Honda also does the PA for Blackhawks games, having replaced Harvey Wittenberg a few years ago. For informational purposes, here are the other PA announcers around here:

Bulls/UIC Basketball - Steve Scott
Illinois Football/Basketball - Jim Shepard ("First and ten for the Illini!"; "That's aaaa THREE!")
Loyola Basketball - Pat Schultz ("THREEEEEEE!!!" DaJuan Gouard!")
Northwestern Football - Pat Walsh ("First down, GOOOAALL to GOOOAALL, Northwestern!!!")
Northwestern Basketball - ???
Bears - ???
being a sox and hawk fan has one good thing about it, consistancy with the PA guys.....

I like Gene, but its going to take a LOOOONNNGGGG time before his voice sounds right.... so many years of Harvey does that to you....
penalty on number 24 bob probert, 5 minutes for fighting AND a game misconduct.....

petekat
12-02-2004, 01:28 PM
saw Gene Honda at some bar in Ravenswood- good natured banter - he would ask the crowd baseball trivia questions and then buy beers for the winner- good all-around guy

zach074
12-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Now i know why we cant afford good players. We have the best organist, announcer, and grounds keeper in the buisness. Wow there contracts must be through the roof.

A.T. Money
12-02-2004, 03:00 PM
I totally missed this thread but I do know that Gene does:

Sox
Hawks
DePaul
Final Four
Channel 11
and I believe he was even a disc jockey on 93.9 the lite.

soxnut
12-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Now i know why we cant afford good players. We have the best organist, announcer, and grounds keeper in the buisness. Wow there contracts must be through the roof.
Ok, so I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't like the way he announces the Sox players. I do like the points everyone brought up about what a great guy he is, that's cool.

As for the above quote, since we do have the best in those categories, I think in some way, these people should be marketed as the personalities of Comiskey(USCF).

TornLabrum
12-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Most of you are obviously to young to remember the best Sox P.A. (stadium) announcer ever... Tate Johnson.

"The battery for today's game...for the White Sox... Buzhardt pitching and Martin catching... for the Orioles...Palmer pitching and Etchebarren catching."

"For the White Sox...batting for Horlen....#2 Smokey Burgess...batting for Horlen."

Now those were good days. Johnson and Shey Torrent on the Hammond organ. (Not that there is anything wrong with Nancy.)

Lip
Shey Torrent was no Nancy! I used to like Tate Johnson, though.

Viva Magglio
12-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Of course, I would be remiss if I did not mention Gene's predecessor, Bob Finnegan. Finnegan retired after the 1990 season.

TornLabrum
12-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Of course, I would be remiss if I did not mention Gene's predecessor, Bob Finnegan. Finnegan retired after the 1990 season.
And don't forget Wayne Messmer who was with us before he was with the Cubs.

ewokpelts
12-03-2004, 04:58 PM
I totall agress. In fact me and my other friend are known for our PA announcer impersination. We have it down cold and all we do is recite classic players like #8 Boooo JACKson!! I love the #45 Carlos LEEEEEEE.if you ever see him, as k him to do "lyle MOUTON!
Gene

poorme
12-03-2004, 05:03 PM
i grew up with finnegan. hated honda, but don't go to games now so i don't care.:D:

JKryl
12-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Gene Honda is a great guy. I first met him for an interview I did of him for the Windy City Sox Fans newsletter ten years ago when the club was founded.

Also, so far nobody has mentioned that Gene is the voice of WTTW, Channel 11 in Chicago.
I have to agree. I think he does a great job. Funny how no one notices someone who is an everyday phenomenon until someone else brings him up.

On the other hand, I can take or leave Nancy.

White Sox baseball, every day is an adventure.

TornLabrum
12-05-2004, 01:07 AM
On the other hand, I can take or leave Nancy.
Them's fightin' words around me!