PDA

View Full Version : Jayson Stark: Sox interested in Johnson-Yankees out of running?

SoxxoS
12-01-2004, 09:13 PM
The problem is, several people around Johnson say he is not interested in us.

The other news, the article by Jayson Stark says the Yankees are out of the sweepstakes. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1936460)

Sorry about the formatting of the link...

FightingBillini
12-01-2004, 09:17 PM
yeah, but all the jackasses, like Gammons, who claim to be insiders only say that they "cant imagine him wanting going to the south side" or that they dont see it happening. They dont have any facts behind it, they just cant imagine it. Such BS.

:boston "You know, I dont know why any top free agent would sign with anyone other than the Yankees, Cubs, or Red Sox."

WinningUgly!
12-01-2004, 09:26 PM
The problem is, several people around Johnson say he is not interested in us.
He might not have had any interest in coming to the White Sox, when it seemed so likely that he'd end up going to the Yankees, Cardinals or Angels. If all of these trade possibilities have dried up & he's down to looking at another long season in Arizona, the Southside of Chicago probably starts looking pretty damn good.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2004, 09:27 PM
yeah, but all the jackasses, like Gammons, who claim to be insiders only say that they "cant imagine him wanting going to the south side" or that they dont see it happening. They dont have any facts behind it, they just cant imagine it. Such BS.

:boston "You know, I dont know why any top free agent would sign with anyone other than the Yankees, Cubs, or Red Sox."These are the same "experts" who were sure the Sox couldn't land Freddy Garcia, and then after they did, they were sure they couldn't re-sign him.

infohawk
12-01-2004, 09:37 PM
He might not have had any interest in coming to the White Sox, when it seemed so likely that he'd end up going to the Yankees, Cardinals or Angels. If all of these trade possibilities have dried up & he's down to looking at another long season in Arizona, the Southside of Chicago probably starts looking pretty damn good.
For the record, I would love for the Sox to acquire Randy Johnson. That said, if it is true that he "isn't interested in us," than I don't want him either. For me, this has nothing to do with the perception a superstar player might have about the Sox organization or ownership. It's about SOX PRIDE!!!

Soxfest
12-01-2004, 09:43 PM
For the record, I would love for the Sox to acquire Randy Johnson. That said, if it is true that he "isn't interested in us," than I don't want him either. For me, this has nothing to do with the perception a superstar player might have about the Sox organization or ownership. It's about SOX PRIDE!!!

Until RJ says he is not coming , I will believe it.

MRKARNO
12-01-2004, 10:08 PM
In case you didnt read the article, here's what Arizona asked for from the Yanks:

Vazquez, Brown, Halsey, several other prospects AND cash

and at another point they asked for:

Vazquez, Prospects, money and for the Yanks to engineer a three way trade to get Arizona:

Hudson, Zito, Kazmir, Jackson, Burnett, Lilly, Jennings, Rogers or Chacon.

The DBacks turned down:

Vazquez, Halsey, Graman, another prospect and cash

Sounds like Arizona is going to be unreasonable about this. If it meant that we would have to give up Konerko, Garland and Anderson, as this article seems to make evident, then I'll pass on RJ.

ChiSoxRowand
12-01-2004, 10:09 PM
I do not want RJ if we are going to have to give up PK, Garland, AND Brian Anderson.

OzzieBall2004
12-01-2004, 10:13 PM

lest we forget he wanted nothing to do with AZ at the trade deadline, and he still pitched his a$$ off. If he comes here and the team underperforms but he pitches well, we could come damn close to bringing in the amount of talent at the deadline it will cost to get him here now.

I agree with your assesment, I just dont think he's the kind of guy who wont pitch his heart out unless he gets his way. That being said, I think we'll need to make a couple significant offensive upgrades before he agrees to come here. However, it all comes down to what others are offering. The rumored Red Sox and Cardinals offers are weak, and all the Yankees scenarios involve a shadowy 3rd team to supply prospects and young talent. Our offer blows all the other ones out of the water, but you'll never read/hear that on ESPN.

SoxxoS
12-01-2004, 10:17 PM
I do not want RJ if we are going to have to give up PK, Garland, AND Brian Anderson.
You think they would care if we substituted Borchard for Anderson?

Wealz
12-01-2004, 10:20 PM
If it meant that we would have to give up Konerko, Garland and Anderson, as this article seems to make evident, then I'll pass on RJ.
Anderson isn't an elite prospect. If the Sox can give up Reed in a package for three plus years of Garcia, they can give up Anderson for one year of Johnson.

nitetrain8601
12-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Anderson is one of our best prospects. I would say he's up there in our top 2.

SoxxoS
12-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Anderson is one of our best prospects. I would say he's up there in our top 2.
That doesn't mean he is elite, though.

I think BMac and Sweeney are the only untouchables. It depends what KW has in mind in terms of CF the next 5-7 years...if he thinks Rowand can handle it...and he thinks CLee can keep playing LF and be resigned...than we can use a stop gap in RF next year...and hopefully have Sweeney ready opening day 2006. But it hardly works out like you planned.:wink:

nitetrain8601
12-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Depends on what you consider elite. He's no Frank Thomas if that's what you mean. He's still going to be a really good player though.

chisoxmike
12-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I don't blame the Yankees. Did you see what the Diamondbacks wanted?
:bs: Holy crap! I would've gave them the finger walked away.

I hope they dont pull something like that with the Sox becuase we all know how reckless KW can be.

munchman33
12-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I don't blame the Yankees. Did you see what the Diamondbacks wanted?
:bs: Holy crap! I would've gave them the finger walked away.

I hope they dont pull something like that with the Sox becuase we all know how reckless KW can be.
:KW
"Let me see if I have this right. Brian Anderson, Jon Garland, Paul Konerko, Carlos Lee, Freddy Garcia, and the ace from a team of my choice for Randy Johnson? Great, but I'll have to get permission from Jerry to send you the difference in cash."

:reinsy
"NO!"

Foulke You
12-01-2004, 11:23 PM
Anderson isn't an elite prospect. If the Sox can give up Reed in a package for three plus years of Garcia, they can give up Anderson for one year of Johnson.
Exactly. Give me 1 year of Randy Johnson now. You guys want something to cheer for next year? Randy Johnson turns the Sox into instant AL Central co-favorites with the Twins. As I've said on other RJ threads, I'd do this deal in a second.

infohawk
12-01-2004, 11:23 PM
lest we forget he wanted nothing to do with AZ at the trade deadline, and he still pitched his a$$ off. If he comes here and the team underperforms but he pitches well, we could come damn close to bringing in the amount of talent at the deadline it will cost to get him here now.

I agree with your assesment, I just dont think he's the kind of guy who wont pitch his heart out unless he gets his way. That being said, I think we'll need to make a couple significant offensive upgrades before he agrees to come here. However, it all comes down to what others are offering. The rumored Red Sox and Cardinals offers are weak, and all the Yankees scenarios involve a shadowy 3rd team to supply prospects and young talent. Our offer blows all the other ones out of the water, but you'll never read/hear that on ESPN.
Don't misunderstand -- I'm not suggesting that RJ's performance would be subpar if he pitched for the Sox. I'm just indignant about an attitude that, assuming it is true, says, "I'm not interested in them." I can understand an attitude that says, "I don't want to live in Chicago" or "I prefer St. Louis." In the interest of fairness, I will admit that the information about RJ's lack of interest in the Sox is second-hand and we don't necessarily know exactly why he has no interest. I'm just assuming he doesn't think the Sox are good enough for him. I have to ask myself if he would have gone to the Marlins during the offseason prior to their world championship, or would he have preferred to go to a "serious contender." I'm not implying the Sox are the second coming of the 2003 Marlins, but we are also not a reincarnation of the 2003 Tigers. He should at least take note that the Sox are on their way toward building a pretty formidable rotation for a pitcher of his caliber to anchor.

OzzieBall2004
12-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Randy Johnson turns the Sox into instant AL Central co-favorites with the Twins.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, or being naive, but I think Detroit is gonna have a pretty damn solid team before the offseason is done, and Cleveland should shape up pretty well too (although the Wickman signing was pretty lame considering the amount of BS's they had).

Don't misunderstand -- I'm not suggesting that RJ's performance would be subpar if he pitched for the Sox. I'm just indignant about an attitude that, assuming it is true, says, "I'm not interested in them." I can understand an attitude that says, "I don't want to live in Chicago" or "I prefer St. Louis." In the interest of fairness, I will admit that the information about RJ's lack of interest in the Sox is second-hand and we don't necessarily know exactly why he has no interest. I'm just assuming he doesn't think the Sox are good enough for him. I have to ask myself if he would have gone to the Marlins during the offseason prior to their world championship, or would he have preferred to go to a "serious contender." I'm not implying the Sox are the second coming of the 2003 Marlins, but we are also not a reincarnation of the 2003 Tigers. He should at least take note that the Sox are on their way toward building a pretty formidable rotation for a pitcher of his caliber to anchor.

Well said. However, you gotta realize RJ isn't looking to, and doesn't deserve to have to be on a team "on their way toward" anything. The guy wants to pitch 2 more years and win at least once.

I want him just as much as anyone else, and those who say we're giving up too much fail to realize the value of RJ at the deadline if we falter. We'll easily recoup most of what we have to give up.Teams overpay at the deadline....
remember the Freddy Garcia deal?

Jjav829
12-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Anyone else find this list of pitchers that Arizona asked for quite amusing? Really, look at this...

My response to Garagiola Jr.:
At another point, the Diamondbacks asked the Yankees to find a third team to spice up the deal. In addition to asking for Vazquez, money and prospects, they gave New York a list of 10 pitchers they would accept. It's believed that list included Tim Hudson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6245), Ok, starting off high. Nothing wrong with that.

Barry Zito (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6394),Good idea, but probably not gonna happen. Good choice though.
Scott Kazmir (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7292),Cheap, good potential. I can see why he's here.
Edwin Jackson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7241),Same as Kazmir. Cheap, good potential. Nice idea.
A.J. Burnett (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6314),Ok, good workhorse. Looks like he's finally starting to come back. Good choice, but not likely.
Ted Lilly (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6223),Decent choice there. Falling off a little from the beginning, but still, decent idea.
Jason Jennings (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6785),Whoa. Ummm, this is still the list of pitchers you WANT, right? Well, I guess he did win the ROY award a few years ago, so ummm, yeah....
Kenny Rogers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=3974)What, are you trying to fill an age quote here? Might be better off taking a shot on the youngster, Jennings.
and Shawn Chacon (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6713). HUH? Wait, wait, wait. You started off this list with Tim Hudson, and now you're at Shawn Chacon? You started drinking when you started writing this, didn't you?

FightingBillini
12-01-2004, 11:57 PM
Here is my take on the situation - Peter Gammons is a tool

Im not sure if Garagiola is still the GM in Arizona, but I have heard that there was deep rooted hatred between him and the Yankees. Maybe it was between Colangelo and the Yankees, not sure. Anyway, it was said before that AZ really wanted to send him anywhere but the Yankees. That the way it seems with this new info. Why didnt they ask the Yankees to find and bring them the Holy Grail? I know GMs have to play hardball, but asking for the Yankees to trade for one of those guys and them him to AZ along with prospects, Vazquez and cash? If the Yankees could trade for Zito and/or Hudson, wouldn't they keep them and sign them to long term deals? That seems like the Diamondbacks giving the Yankees a middle finger and telling them that they wont trade with NY no matter what.

wdelaney72
12-02-2004, 09:47 AM
PK, Garland, and Anderson - do it in a second. Until Anderson becomes an MLB stud, he's nothing more than just hot air. Randy Johnson is still the most dominating pitcher in baseball.

Arizona has steep demands right now. Guess what, Scott Boras does to for his clients. It's early, let's see what Arizona settles for come closer to March and April.

Champs2004
12-02-2004, 09:52 AM
If AZ doesnt want Johnson in NY, keeping him wouldnt be that bad. At the same time, this wont be the last time we hear Yankees and RJ in the same sentence. the Yanks want him bad, but if we're lucky he'll be in Soxstripes by April 4th

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Anyone else find this list of pitchers that Arizona asked for quite amusing? Really, look at this...

My response to Garagiola Jr.:
Ok, starting off high. Nothing wrong with that.

Good idea, but probably not gonna happen. Good choice though.
Cheap, good potential. I can see why he's here.
Same as Kazmir. Cheap, good potential. Nice idea.
Ok, good workhorse. Looks like he's finally starting to come back. Good choice, but not likely.
Decent choice there. Falling off a little from the beginning, but still, decent idea.
Whoa. Ummm, this is still the list of pitchers you WANT, right? Well, I guess he did win the ROY award a few years ago, so ummm, yeah....
What, are you trying to fill an age quote here? Might be better off taking a shot on the youngster, Jennings.
HUH? Wait, wait, wait. You started off this list with Tim Hudson, and now you're at Shawn Chacon? You started drinking when you started writing this, didn't you?I had the exact same reaction. And when it got down to Chacon, it was downright comical. If I was Hudson, I'd sue for defamation of character to be put on the same list with those guys.

eshunn2001
12-02-2004, 12:39 PM
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!! F--- him. let him rot in Arizona. All we need is another David Wells type inncident over here. I would not even give them Paul Konerko straight up for him anymore Why don't we just go after a Pitcher, and keep our hitting.

California Sox
12-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Yes, but can they give up both?! The Sox are not a large market team. If they continue to strip their farm system of every major league-ready player they are going to blow in the future, the very near future.

Lip Man 1
12-02-2004, 12:51 PM
SportsCenter last night and ESPN.com today both also said it's possible the Yankees are 'bluffing' and that talks are not over between the two sides.

Lip

santo=dorf
12-02-2004, 12:54 PM
FWIW, Gammons is still confident that Randy will be traded to the Yanks sometime next week. The Yankees also tried to get Shawn Chacon, but the Rockies were asking for Scott Proctor and either Dioner Navarro or Alex Graman.

Slow Mike
12-02-2004, 01:45 PM
These are the same "experts" who were sure the Sox couldn't land Freddy Garcia, and then after they did, they were sure they couldn't re-sign him.
That is not true. Gammons said that if anyone could swing a deal for Freddy Garcia, it would be Kenny Williams.

Slow Mike
12-02-2004, 01:49 PM
I agree. If we have to give up Garland, we still have the fifth starter hole we've been struggling with for five years. Obviously Johnson is a huge upgrade, but whos the number five then? Jason Grilli??? (gag)

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2004, 01:55 PM
I agree. If we have to give up Garland, we still have the fifth starter hole we've been struggling with for five years. Obviously Johnson is a huge upgrade, but whos the number five then? Jason Grilli??? (gag)Who's the fifth starter now? Would you rather have Garland/Grilli than Johnson/Grilli? It will be a lot easier to replace Jon Garland than to find another pitcher the caliber of Randy Johnson.

santo=dorf
12-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Who's the fifth starter now? Would you rather have Garland/Grilli than Johnson/Grilli? It will be a lot easier to replace Jon Garland than to find another pitcher the caliber of Randy Johnson.
I think some people are expecting KW to sign a pitcher to a three year deal worth around $3 million. Like I stated in another post, the market for pitchers is horrible in terms of paying for them. We can pay RJ $16 million for one year while cutting Garland and Konerko from the budget, or invest an additional $18-$24 million in Matt Clement, Odalis Perez, Russ Ortiz, Jaret Wright, or Jon Lieber for the next 3 years.

Remind me again who the last free agent pitcher was that a got long term deal from JR. When was the last time the Sox signed a big name free agent?
The unfortunate answer:
:jaime

hold2dibber
12-02-2004, 02:13 PM
C'mon - get a thicker skin. How can you blame Johnson? Clearly, and understandably, he wants to win and win now (he only has a few years left). The three teams he apparently has expressed an interest in all made the playoffs last year, all have won world series titles in his lifetime, averaged about 96 wins between them last year, have managers who have WS rings, and all have high payrolls. The Sox, on the other hand, have been to the playoffs four times in the last ... 84 years, haven't won a title in 87 years and won about 85 games last year in the worst division in baseball have a middle of the pack payroll and a 2nd year manager who's never won a thing. If I (or you) were in Johnson's skin, you'd think the same thing he's thinking - which is that the Sox are a crap shoot, at best, to be a WS contender even with RJ on the roster. If I'm RJ, I'd tell the White Sox "go get two or three other premium players and commit to a payroll of at least $85 million and I'll think about it."

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2004, 02:16 PM
I think some people are expecting KW to sign a pitcher to a three year deal worth around $3 million. Like I stated in another post, the market for pitchers is horrible in terms of paying for them. We can pay RJ $16 million for one year while cutting Garland and Konerko from the budget, or invest an additional $18-$24 million in Matt Clement, Odalis Perez, Russ Ortiz, Jaret Wright, or Jon Lieber for the next 3 years.

Remind me again who the last free agent pitcher was that a got long term deal from JR. When was the last time the Sox signed a big name free agent?
The unfortunate answer:
:jaimeIf the FA market for pitchers is so bad, that's all the more reason to get someone in trade. And you would have RJ for more than one year, as an extension is sure to be a precondition. Johnson is looking to reach 300 wins, which will take at least three years wherever he goes. A one year extension with an option year would likely be accepted. Then they could sign a cheaper FA to fill the 5th spot.

Foulke29
12-02-2004, 02:38 PM

The unfortunate answer:
:jaime
I think you just burned my eyes from their sockets by posting that craphead's picture.