PDA

View Full Version : Yanks pull out of trade talks for Johnson..

dpbyron
12-01-2004, 08:09 PM
Per Sporting News (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6632624/)

Thank God...

Flight #24
12-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Sounds like a ploy, smells like a ploy. It'll be intresting to see who blinks first. If the Spankees start to make other moves, it might preclude RJ. ESPN reports the Cards don't have the prospects, and the Angels want Beltran (and can't afford both him & RJ). RJ could end up facing a ChiSox (reportedly not on his list), or DBacks decision.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Sounds like a ploy, smells like a ploy. It'll be intresting to see who blinks first. If the Spankees start to make other moves, it might preclude RJ. ESPN reports the Cards don't have the prospects, and the Angels want Beltran (and can't afford both him & RJ). RJ could end up facing a ChiSox (reportedly not on his list), or DBacks decision.Maybe, but the D-backs wanted Vazquez, Gordon, Halsey, $19.5M and the Brooklyn Bridge. Pretty steep. If you were Cashman, would you do that trade? I wouldn't.

OTOH, the Yanks were offering Vazquez, Halsey, Graman, another prospect and $10-15M. The Sox (or probably anyone else) can't come close to matching that offer, and everybody knows it.

Flight #24
12-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Maybe, but the D-backs wanted Vazquez, Gordon, Halsey, $19.5M and the Brooklyn Bridge. Pretty steep. If you were Cashman, would you do that trade? I wouldn't.

OTOH, the Yanks were offering Vazquez, Halsey, Graman, another prospect and $10-15M. The Sox (or probably anyone else) can't come close to matching that offer, and everybody knows it.True. The question is if in the meantime, Cashman feels like he has to make a move on say Pavano/Leiter or risk not getting RJ or the other guy. Once they start signing guys, things change in terms of their "hunger" for RJ.

Or maybe the DBacks start looking around, seeing who else they like that's interested, and pulling them into a 3-way. Garland+Konerko for Vazquez+Gordon+cash sounds good to me!!!

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2004, 08:30 PM
True. The question is if in the meantime, Cashman feels like he has to make a move on say Pavano/Leiter or risk not getting RJ or the other guy. Once they start signing guys, things change in terms of their "hunger" for RJ.Not only the "hunger" factor, but after signing a few FA's, they might not have the money left. I think Arizona will come to its senses and realize it's the best deal they're going to get and is way better than what they can expect elsewhere. Sorry, but Konerko+Garland looks pretty lame next to that package.

nitetrain8601
12-01-2004, 09:48 PM
sounds like a big time ploy.

Mohoney
12-02-2004, 02:00 AM
OTOH, the Yanks were offering Vazquez, Halsey, Graman, another prospect and $10-15M. The Sox (or probably anyone else) can't come close to matching that offer, and everybody knows it.
What is Arizona thinking to refuse 3 pitchers AND cash?

They must be on airplane glue if they think that they will get more than this.

StockdaleForVeep
12-02-2004, 03:33 AM
Per Sporting News (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6632624/)

Thank God...
U think steinbrenner woulda made him trim the goatee?

Baby Fisk
12-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Maybe, but the D-backs wanted Vazquez, Gordon, Halsey, $19.5M and the Brooklyn Bridge. Pretty steep. If you were Cashman, would you do that trade? I wouldn't.

OTOH, the Yanks were offering Vazquez, Halsey, Graman, another prospect and $10-15M. The Sox (or probably anyone else) can't come close to matching that offer, and everybody knows it.If Arizona's demands were too steep for the Skankees, then no one will get RJ. What they were asking for was ludicrous. The Manhattan Bridge maybe, but the Brooklyn Bridge was just obscene.

wdelaney72
12-02-2004, 11:35 AM
It's early and there's plenty of time and room to negotiate. On the other hand, it will be interesting to see how hungry the Yanks stay for RJ as they continue to sign other FA pitchers.

Remeber, they need 2 SP (3 if they give away Kevin Brown), a 2B, and a 1B.

maurice
12-02-2004, 11:47 AM
sounds like a big time ploy.
Jason Stark (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1936460) concurs . . . but he mentioned that St. Louis, Anaheim, and Boston might be out of the running also. That leave the Sox as potentially the only suitor, unless Johnson refuses the trade:

The White Sox are extremely interested. But several people close to Johnson say he isn't interested in them.

Paulwny
12-02-2004, 05:48 PM
True. The question is if in the meantime, Cashman feels like he has to make a move on say Pavano/Leiter or risk not getting RJ or the other guy. Once they start signing guys, things change in terms of their "hunger" for RJ.

Or maybe the DBacks start looking around, seeing who else they like that's interested, and pulling them into a 3-way. Garland+Konerko for Vazquez+Gordon+cash sounds good to me!!!I don't think this will be Cashman's call, It's how bad does George want RJ, he has the final say.

ondafarm
12-02-2004, 08:41 PM
If Arizona's demands were too steep for the Skankees, then no one will get RJ. What they were asking for was ludicrous. The Manhattan Bridge maybe, but the Brooklyn Bridge was just obscene.
I think it's easier to say "No deal" to the Yanks than "Stick it."

I just don't think they want to deal him right now.

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2004, 08:50 PM
I think it's easier to say "No deal" to the Yanks than "Stick it."

I just don't think they want to deal him right now.They want to deal all right. They just think they can get more. Remember, Vazquez could demand a trade after 2005, and probably will if they suck (big IF) so his value to them isn't what it might be. But I think they've overplayed their hand.

Lip Man 1
12-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Remember if the D-backs don't want to deal now he'll be in tremendous demand come July. Arizona can send him out then if they wish. They are holding out for the highest offer possible and am banking on the Yanks not having won the series since 2000 to force their hand (or the Red Sox, Angels or Cardinals...)Lip

santo=dorf
12-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Remember if the D-backs don't want to deal now he'll be in tremendous demand come July. Arizona can send him out then if they wish. They are holding out for the highest offer possible and am banking on the Yanks not having won the series since 2000 to force their hand (or the Red Sox, Angels or Cardinals...)Lip
Randy has already said that if he is not traded before the season starts, he will stay with the D'Backs for the entire 2005 season.

TheBull19
12-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Randy has already said that if he is not traded before the season starts, he will stay with the D'Backs for the entire 2005 season.
We'll see what he says when he's 7-10 w/ a 2.50 era.