PDA

View Full Version : Hudson closer to being traded?

Jjav829
12-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Tim Hudson made some comments that may force Beane's hand in trading him. He has set a date of March 1st to either get a new contract done, or he will leave as a free agent. He said he doesn't want to go through what Giambi and Tejada went through. Beane played it off as nothing much, but you have to think this will weigh heavily on his mind as he makes his decision on whether he will trade one of the big 3, and who. It has already been speculated that Beane would rather trade Hudson because he is a free agent at the end of the year. But with Hudson now forcing the A's hand, you have to think he would prefer to trade Hudson.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20041201&content_id=917483&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp)

mdep524
12-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Tim Hudson made some comments that may force Beane's hand in trading him. He has set a date of March 1st to either get a new contract done, or he will leave as a free agent. He said he doesn't want to go through what Giambi and Tejada went through. Beane played it off as nothing much, but you have to think this will weigh heavily on his mind as he makes his decision on whether he will trade one of the big 3, and who. It has already been speculated that Beane would rather trade Hudson because he is a free agent at the end of the year. But with Hudson now forcing the A's hand, you have to think he would prefer to trade Hudson.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20041201&content_id=917483&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp)
I don't know about the rest of you, but I would rather have Hudson than anybody else out there in a trade. He's inexpensive, young and damn good. There's the risk of him being a one-year rental like Bartolo, but there's also a chance of a trade-and-sign Freddie situation. Wonder what the Sox are thinking about this...

soxwon
12-01-2004, 06:39 PM
hudson and dye for konerko everett and garland?

Jabroni
12-01-2004, 06:45 PM
hudson and dye for konerko everett and garland?Dye is already a free agent. He doesn't have to be traded for. He can just be signed.

DSpivack
12-01-2004, 07:07 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I would rather have Hudson than anybody else out there in a trade. He's inexpensive, young and damn good. There's the risk of him being a one-year rental like Bartolo, but there's also a chance of a trade-and-sign Freddie situation. Wonder what the Sox are thinking about this...
I think of Hudson and Mulder as near equals, although haven't really looked at the stats. Mulder is a lefty and from the Chicago area, so he gets two points there.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2004, 08:11 PM

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20041201&content_id=917483&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp)With a big raise due for Chavez and with Kotsay eligible for arbitration, it was going to be pretty difficult for Beane to find the money to re-sign Hudson before. Adding Kendall makes it essentially impossible.

FightingBillini
12-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Well, hopefully the Kendall trade will force the A's to trade two of their pitchers.

Konerko + Garland + Cotts for Mudler and Hudson?

I don't know if that should be in teal of deep pink. I am calling on someone now to create a color that is half pink half teal. It would be acceptable if it was just whatever color resulted from their mixing, but it would be better if the bottom half of the letters were pink and the top teal, or something like that.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Well, hopefully the Kendall trade will force the A's to trade two of their pitchers.

Konerko + Garland + Cotts for Mudler and Hudson?

I don't know if that should be in teal of deep pink. I am calling on someone now to create a color that is half pink half teal. It would be acceptable if it was just whatever color resulted from their mixing, but it would be better if the bottom half of the letters were pink and the top teal, or something like that.Konerko + Garland + Cotts for Mudler and Hudson

Wow. I've got WAY too much unproductive time on my hands.

soxwon
12-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Boy with us getting randy johnson- mulder and hudson

along with nomar, and jermaine dye, we will be set!!!!
right?

FightingBillini
12-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Boy with us getting randy johnson- mulder and hudson

along with nomar, and jermaine dye, we will be set!!!!
right?
See? This is the perfect example who why we need the teal/pink hybrid is needed.

doublem23
12-01-2004, 10:45 PM
See? This is the perfect example who why we need the teal/pink hybrid is needed.
What of these trade proposals doesn't warrant sole use of deep pink?

Wait, maybe we should talk about how we're going to land Carlos Beltran, Maggs is coming back 110%, and Pedro is getting a time machine, warping back to 2001, and signing with the Sox.

:rolleyes:

MarkEdward
12-02-2004, 12:19 AM
A bunch of folks have been mentioning Paul Konerko in trade talks with the A's. The A's have a bunch of first basemen in their system, so I doubt they'd go for another first baseman. Scott Hatteberg is signed through next year, Erubiel Durazo can play first base if needed, 2004 Pacific Coast League MVP Dan Johnson will be with the team next year, and Nick Swisher has played some first base in his pro career.

If the A's need anything right now, it's either a second baseman (though Scutaro-Ellis should be decent) and a corner outfielder with some pop (currently, their '05 starting outfield is Byrnes, Kotsay, and Swisher).

SomebodyToldMe
12-02-2004, 12:23 AM
What of these trade proposals doesn't warrant sole use of deep pink?

Wait, maybe we should talk about how we're going to land Carlos Beltran, Maggs is coming back 110%, and Pedro is getting a time machine, warping back to 2001, and signing with the Sox.

:rolleyes:
My...head hurts.

jordan23ventura
12-02-2004, 04:27 AM
Tim Hudson made some comments that may force Beane's hand in trading him. He has set a date of March 1st to either get a new contract done, or he will leave as a free (http://toolbar.desktoptraffic.net/cgi-bin//ezlclk.fcgi?id=170) agent. He said he doesn't want to go through what Giambi and Tejada went through. Beane played it off as nothing much, but you have to think this will weigh heavily on his mind as he makes his decision on whether he will trade one of the big 3, and who. It has already been speculated that Beane would rather trade Hudson because he is a free agent at the end of the year. But with Hudson now forcing the A's hand, you have to think he would prefer to trade Hudson.

Get on the phone Kenny!!!

Screw RJ and the one year rental. Unless he's bringing the Holy Grail, Sasquatch, the cure for AIDS, and undisputable footage of the Roswell NM incident with him, he's not worth sacrificing PK/Garland/Anderson. But... Hudson might be. Pick this guy up and lock him up. Imagine the potential optimism around this site looking forward to a rotation begining with Hudson/Buerhle/Garcia??

Seriously Kenny. Get on the phone.

Jjav829
12-02-2004, 08:58 AM
Everyone likes to bring up the Yankees as a suitor for all pitchers, and it is no different with Hudson. I really can't see a match between the Yankees and A's for Hudson. I would imagine that if Beane does trade Hudson, he'll be looking for players that can contribute right away. It's no secret the Yankees minor league system is lacking, and I doubt Beane has much of an interest in any of those prospects. So that means it would have to be a major leaguer traded in return, and really, there isn't a match there either. All of the Yankees positional players are high paid, and either unlikely to interest Beane, or unlikely to be traded by the Yankees. I know the New York media is going to talk about the Yankees interest in Hudson and assume that is enough to make a trade happen. But would Beane really have interest in making a trade with NY? Doesn't seem likely to me.

The White Sox are a much better fit. A Lee or Konerko for Hudson trade makes sense, depending on the direction the A's want to go. There has been speculation that Durazo might be non-tendered, opening the way for Konerko. The A's lineup lacks a true middle of the order threat from the right side. With Dye gone, their current 3-4-5 (assuming Durazo is back) would be composed of three hitters from the left side. A Lee for Hudson trade would give them a good right hander to break up the three straight lefties.

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Everyone likes to bring up the Yankees as a suitor for all pitchers, and it is no different with Hudson. I really can't see a match between the Yankees and A's for Hudson. I would imagine that if Beane does trade Hudson, he'll be looking for players that can contribute right away. It's no secret the Yankees minor league system is lacking, and I doubt Beane has much of an interest in any of those prospects. So that means it would have to be a major leaguer traded in return, and really, there isn't a match there either. All of the Yankees positional players are high paid, and either unlikely to interest Beane, or unlikely to be traded by the Yankees. I know the New York media is going to talk about the Yankees interest in Hudson and assume that is enough to make a trade happen. But would Beane really have interest in making a trade with NY? Doesn't seem likely to me.

The White Sox are a much better fit. A Lee or Konerko for Hudson trade makes sense, depending on the direction the A's want to go. There has been speculation that Durazo might be non-tendered, opening the way for Konerko. The A's lineup lacks a true middle of the order threat from the right side. With Dye gone, their current 3-4-5 (assuming Durazo is back) would be composed of three hitters from the left side. A Lee for Hudson trade would give them a good right hander to break up the three straight lefties.Except if Beane is trading Hudson for money reasons, why would he want Konerko in return? He makes MORE money. Ditto for Lee. I believe if Beane has his eye on anybody on the Sox roster, it would be Aaron Rowand. He's an absolutely perfect fit for them, and fills the hole in RF.

mdep524
12-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Except if Beane is trading Hudson for money reasons, why would he want Konerko in return? He makes MORE money. Ditto for Lee. I believe if Beane has his eye on anybody on the Sox roster, it would be Aaron Rowand. He's an absolutely perfect fit for them, and fills the hole in RF.
A good point, Ol' No. 2. We can't just shove Paulie or Lee down the throat of a team that is trying to decrease payroll. Maybe if Arthur Rhodes was involved, it would have worked, but he's a Pirate now (in an absolute steal for the A's).

The one thing to think about is what if the Sox eat half of Paulie's salary? Hudson only makes $6 million in 2005, that is NOTHING. Compare that to RJ and his $16.5 million. Trading for Hudson would save $10 million over RJ, and the talent levels are very similar, certainly not $10 million worth of difference! So even if we transfer $5 million of those savings over to the A's, we're still saving $5 million from a proposed RJ deal, money that could, hypothetically, be used to bolster other areas.

And since a subsidized Paul Konerko is worth more than a full price Paul Konerko, maybe we wouldn't have to throw anyone else in the deal, making a Hudson trade cheaper money-wise and talent-wise.

Sox get:
Tim Hudson ($6 mil)

A's get:
Paul Konerko ($8 mil)
$5 million cash

Net payroll effects:
Sox +$3 million
A's -$3 million

The A's get salary relief and a bona fide middle of the line up slugger; the Sox get a bona fide #1 starter more inexpensively than a trade for RJ. Then the Sox could go to work on trying to extend Hudson, which is much smarter than trying to extend RJ. So, that's one way to look at it. Thoughts?

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2004, 11:00 AM
A good point, Ol' No. 2. We can't just shove Paulie or Lee down the throat of a team that is trying to decrease payroll. Maybe if Arthur Rhodes was involved, it would have worked, but he's a Pirate now (in an absolute steal for the A's).

The one thing to think about is what if the Sox eat half of Paulie's salary? Hudson only makes $6 million in 2005, that is NOTHING. Compare that to RJ and his $16.5 million. Trading for Hudson would save $10 million over RJ, and the talent levels are very similar, certainly not $10 million worth of difference! So even if we transfer $5 million of those savings over to the A's, we're still saving $5 million from a proposed RJ deal, money that could, hypothetically, be used to bolster other areas.

And since a subsidized Paul Konerko is worth more than a full price Paul Konerko, maybe we wouldn't have to throw anyone else in the deal, making a Hudson trade cheaper money-wise and talent-wise.

Sox get:
Tim Hudson ($6 mil)

A's get:
Paul Konerko ($8 mil)
$5 million cash

Net payroll effects:
Sox +$3 million
A's -$3 million

The A's get salary relief and a bona fide middle of the line up slugger; the Sox get a bona fide #1 starter more inexpensively than a trade for RJ. Then the Sox could go to work on trying to extend Hudson, which is much smarter than trying to extend RJ. So, that's one way to look at it. Thoughts?Throwing in cash instead of another player makes a lot of sense. The reverse of that is really why the A's were able to "steal" Kendall - they took on (almost) the whole enchilada and didn't have to give up as much in trade. Unfortunately, the Sox MO has generally been the opposite. They tend to send players in order to get the other team to give THEM cash.

I'm not so sure the A's are unhappy with Hatteburg at 1B, though, and they're smart enough to know that Konerko's numbers are going to be a lot less impressive hitting in Oakland. They have a hole in RF, and I'd bet anything that Rowand would be Beane's #1 target.

wdelaney72
12-02-2004, 11:31 AM

The White Sox are a much better fit. A Lee or Konerko for Hudson trade makes sense, depending on the direction the A's want to go. There has been speculation that Durazo might be non-tendered, opening the way for Konerko. The A's lineup lacks a true middle of the order threat from the right side. With Dye gone, their current 3-4-5 (assuming Durazo is back) would be composed of three hitters from the left side. A Lee for Hudson trade would give them a good right hander to break up the three straight lefties.
I agree completely, but I do not want Carlos Lee traded. I'd love to have Hudson, but we need Carlos on this team. Next to Maggs, he's been THE most consistent and productive hitter we've had over the last few years. If it comes down to going for RJ or Hudson, Hudson makes more sense, but dealing PK over Lee makes even more sense.

santo=dorf
12-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Sox get:
Tim Hudson ($6 mil)

A's get:
Paul Konerko ($8 mil)
$5 million cash

Net payroll effects:
Sox +$3 million
A's -$3 million

The A's get salary relief and a bona fide middle of the line up slugger; the Sox get a bona fide #1 starter more inexpensively than a trade for RJ. Then the Sox could go to work on trying to extend Hudson, which is much smarter than trying to extend RJ. So, that's one way to look at it. Thoughts?
Konerko will make $9.25 million if he is traded next year.